Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I had a thought this morning.. regarding pronouns and stuff.. we use individual names to identify people irrespective of their sex.. so why should we ask people what their pronouns are? I’d rather simply just ask them what their name is?
Also, in a work meeting are you really going to be talking about someone in the third person? You will address them by their name, not pronoun

Reactions: 7
So I had a thought this morning.. regarding pronouns and stuff.. we use individual names to identify people irrespective of their sex.. so why should we ask people what their pronouns are? I’d rather simply just ask them what their name is?
You might refer to someone as "Mr/Mrs/Ms" etc - pronouns would indicate what they are comfortable with.

I’ve never introduced myself to someone and included pronouns in that introduction and I don’t plan on starting either. It’s awkward enough talking to new people, why make it more so?

Reactions: 6
And if the office was so formal that it referred to people as Ms or Mrs or Mr then wouldn't they also ask for your surname? Who would refer to people as Mr or Mr John? Surely it would be Mr Smith.

This focus on pronouns is just silly

Reactions: 5
I’ve never introduced myself to someone and included pronouns in that introduction and I don’t plan on starting either. It’s awkward enough talking to new people, why make it more so?
At a conference I attended once the speaker introduced themselves as "Rosalynn Smith and I use She/Her pronouns", and sure enough, they were a TiM. If they hadn't bothered with the pronoun spiel it would barely have registered. (I mean, you can always tell, but I wouldn't have given it any thought really.)

• Sick
Reactions: 5
Did they get a fair hearing? R4 seems a bit captured these days.
Definitely and made a good case, she said a lot of the things that have been discussed here.
The person from Stonewall was awful.
It will be interesting to see if they end up in court over the census.

Reactions: 6
At a conference I attended once the speaker introduced themselves as "Rosalynn Smith and I use She/Her pronouns", and sure enough, they were a TiM. If they hadn't bothered with the pronoun spiel it would barely have registered. (I mean, you can always tell, but I wouldn't have given it any thought really.)
Well this is it isn’t it, it just puts an spotlight on someone’s gender identity.

You might refer to someone as "Mr/Mrs/Ms" etc - pronouns would indicate what they are comfortable with.
Surely in the majority of cases a name also does that? My name is Jennifer, and if I introduced myself and someone said is that mr or ms? I’d think they were nuts...

• Haha
Reactions: 8
This annoys me because nobody 'uses she/her pronouns' in relation to themselves...what you mean is you'd like people to refer to you using those words, in which case it's a request not a demand. This is definitely extreme pedantry I know, but it does get on my nerves.

This annoys me because nobody 'uses she/her pronouns' in relation to themselves...what you mean is you'd like people to refer to you using those words, in which case it's a request not a demand. This is definitely extreme pedantry I know, but it does get on my nerves.
It's compelled speech

Surely in the majority of cases a name also does that? My name is Jennifer, and if I introduced myself and someone said is that mr or ms? I’d think they were nuts...
Exactly, if you introduce yourself as Jennifer that's what you're comfortable with being known. So no need to ask whether you go by Ms, Mrs, Dr. As if that's what you're comfortable with surely you'd say my name is Ms/ Mrs/ Dr Smith

I had an intro kind of conversation about being gender critical with a friend who I think is a bit on the fence with everything. She told me when she was in the student union in uni (a very woke one in Ireland) they were told to tell everyone their name and what gender they identify as, not sure if it was specifically "preferred pronouns." She was quite pissed off at this and refused to do it as she felt it was no one's business, which I think they accepted, but this friend also thinks no one should gatekeep womanhood. If womanhood is not to be gatekept then what is? 🥴

Reactions: 11
I think when you scratch the surface most people believe the same thing but they're going along with the 'be kind, what's the harm' option. Ultimately they believe the same thing that we do as of course no one objects to someone living as they want to- it's all the other stuff that causes the harm!

You should ask your friend what she thinks of the centre in Brighton closing down- vulnerable women losing out because some people think womanhood is open to everyone

I think when you scratch the surface most people believe the same thing but they're going along with the 'be kind, what's the harm' option. Ultimately they believe the same thing that we do as of course no one objects to someone living as they want to- it's all the other stuff that causes the harm!

You should ask your friend what she thinks of the centre in Brighton closing down- vulnerable women losing out because some people think womanhood is open to everyone
Yup before I became aware of this whole mess I thought on a very surface level who cares about trans people using toilets, but I think in my innocence I thought it would be transmen using women's toilets and I thought I don't care if a masculine or androgynous looking woman uses the toilets, little did I know 🙄

Yesss I definitely will. I got really overwhelmed with everything I wanted to say to her to open her eyes but that's definitely a good point to bring up. I think if she sees enough of what is going on she'll be fully over the fence!

Reactions: 3
I'm still so upset over the Brighton centre. So cruel and unnecessary. How did it get to a place where people think women are privileged to have these centres?

Reactions: 13
I'm still so upset over the Brighton centre. So cruel and unnecessary. How did it get to a place where people think women are privileged to have these centres?
A lot of people who advocate for or say they don’t mind the funding being taken away would soon speak up if their daughters, nieces, mothers, sisters, or even themselves needed the urgent support from a women’s shelter. So many people are of the view of “well I’m alright, Jack, so there”. Soon change their tune when they need help.

Like how I often see Facebook folk moaning about new schools being built on new estates, how much of a drain they might be, how disgusting it is, etc, then a couple of years down the line say “its disgusting there are NOT ENOUGH schools/school places nearby for MY child”.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.