Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Owen Jones in that thread: "80s homophobia is just repackaged as transphobia today." Conflating women wanting single sex spaces, with conservative and usually Christian arguments against trans people (usually because they think all trans people are gay)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
It's a ridiculous comparison. Gay people fought for their own rights and for equality, they didn't want anything taken away from people, in the way trans people do

Reactions: 18
So I remember when Elliot (Ellen) Page announced his transition, we discussed on here whether his wife would stay with him or not and how difficult it would be to handle. Well, shock... they are getting divorced. I have to admit, if my husband announced he was transitioning to female, it would be very confusing and upsetting and I don't think I would be able to stay with him.

Reactions: 11
So I remember when Elliot (Ellen) Page announced his transition, we discussed on here whether his wife would stay with him or not and how difficult it would be to handle. Well, shock... they are getting divorced. I have to admit, if my husband announced he was transitioning to female, it would be very confusing and upsetting and I don't think I would be able to stay with him.

I’m watching this with interest because (can’t remember if I said this here or the Rowling thread so apols if repeating myself) the article I read said Page filed for the divorce and it was contested, which I was very surprised at!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I think male and female transitioning is very different. With a man there is pretty much always an AGP element, especially when they transition in middle age and are married to women and I'm sorry but nope that would have me running for the hills.

This is pure speculation on my part but in Eliott/ Ellen's case I can't imagine it's sexual, maybe some kind of unease with herself. It's a mental illness either way

It's far less common for FTM than MTF to happen in middle age, that's pretty much because with men it's a sexual/ AGP thing

Here is an excellent article on autogynephilia

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm not really sure if this is the place to really discuss it but seeing as you're on the topic anyway I may as well say something:

I noticed that a lot of trans people (or at least ones I know) seem to have been diagnosed with BPD - a disorder that has strong connections with having a very weak sense of self/identity. The idea that there are teenagers being allowed to transition so early in their life is so odd to me because even without a mental health issue, you're going to have some sort of identity crisis. I know there's talk of the fact that BPD symptoms are usually at their worst when people are younger too, and I personally have found that to be true.

I also just don't understand people who transition and then try to break those gender boundaries - like at that point what's the point of transitioning?

Reactions: 15
^^ that's the thing about this ideology, there is no consistency whatsoever. It just reinforces gender stereotypes: girl mode for Eddie Izzard- pink lipstick and a bad hair piece. Boy mode for Ellen Page: a hoodie and a moody expression. Not smiling and hood up to show she's a man.

And it's not just BPD- many of these young girls who identify as trans have autism. As a youth movement, it's sort of like being a goth or whatever, except this ideology is far more damaging and has far more lasting consequences. With being a punk/ goth/ whatever group you want to fit into as a teen when you're confused you might grow out of it when you get to know yourself a bit better. Unlike this movement which can have lasting and irreparable damage. What other youth movement made it mainstream to take drugs to block puberty? It's madness

I haven’t heard of a link between trans and BPD. It doesn’t seem quite right to me for some reason?

I haven't either but I have heard of a strong link between autism (particularly in young girls) and trans

Reactions: 8
Owen Jones thinking he gets to say what is or isn't misogyny over the voices of women = peak misogyny. Same with Fox Killer QC and 'my feminism'. Both just too bloody thick to see it.
Also one of the women Jones is referring to is black lesbian barrister Allison Bailey, which says it all tbh.
Seriously though, who is this Owen guy?? Is he some self proclaimed Twitter Opinion Titan or something? He keeps popping up everywhere!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I read this and it made me want to throw my phone across the room. The article claims this is a contender for Dad of the year and one of the nicest father/ daughter stories they've ever heard. You gotta be kidding me. It's so fucked up
Making money out of his child’s trans ness. Disgusting. Wonder where the child got the idea of being trans from, often kids at that age who come out as trans have unfiltered access to the internet and their parents have no idea what their watching or looking at.

It’s a big reason why I don’t let my kids watch YouTube without us supervising.

My family think themselves quite liberal but ever since my nephew (now almost three) started walking and talking, pretty much everything he's done has been taken as "wow, he's so rough and tough, he's going to be a real little bloke." He likes to shout, run around, hit things, etc. because he is a toddler. He's exploring the world! That is normal for a child his age! He is fond of his nursery teacher and that means "he has a crush on her" ... nothing to do with her being a nice lady that takes care of him when his Mummy isn't around. My niece is only a month old and already she is "a real little girlie-girl" because she's easygoing and doesn't cry much. When people think like this I can kind of see how it might get warped into the belief that if a child doesn't conform to gender stereotypes he or she must really be the opposite sex ... it's worrying but true
I detest this way of thinking so much! But it seems so common. Especially when they talk about 5 year old boys having crushes on their teacher I mean come on.

Reactions: 3
twit who works at the Guardian.
His pet cause used to be that making fun of "chav" stereotype was a form of culture war against the working class. He wrote a successful book on that, and there was some merit to his arguments. But now that it's much less socially acceptable to laugh at "chavs" and that has mostly died down, he's now moved on to "evil cis women oppress innocent trans women"

• Sad
The next thread title should be 'my feminism' 🤣
I hate this expression and it seems to have become so prevalent in recent years, drives me mad! like as if feminism isn;t an expression defined in the dictionary, you may as well say "my table" as if it means something different from you than anyone else :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6
I see some people say that being trans is a "mental illness"... what are people's thoughts on that? I am not sure as it reminds me of how people used to say gay folks were "mentally ill."

Dysphoria is technically a mental disorder though but disorder was taken out to remove the stigma. I feel that they chop and change when it suits them. It's not a mental health condition, it's just feelings, they'll say. But when demanding access to puberty blockers and 'healthcare', it is

I don't think that being same sex attracted is comparable to believing you're non binary and putting yourself through self harm like binders

I see some people say that being trans is a "mental illness"... what are people's thoughts on that? I am not sure as it reminds me of how people used to say gay folks were "mentally ill."
I think transness stems from mental illness tbh. Gender dysphoria is definitely a mental illness as far as I’m concerned. I don’t see how it can be seen as anything else, it’s not hugely different from dysmorphia.

Also agree that it’s only a mental illness when it suits them. Other times I’ve seen the suggestion that being trans/dysphoria being a mental illness be shot down as ‘terf rhetoric’. Guess it depends what the topic of the day is and who’s saying those things. From where I’m standing, most trans people appear to have some sort of mental illness which could have contributed to them going down that path.

• Heart
I think the ‘problem’ for trans people is that being trans so often goes hand in hand with other mental illnesses that it’s hard to draw the conclusion that being trans is somehow discrete? I personally don’t believe people who don’t suffer dysphoria are trans (so I would say anyone who does not make any attempt to live as their chosen gender is not truly trans) and if dysphoria is the determinative factor then it surely must be classified as a type of mental illness in the same way that body dysmorphia is for example. In fact I have often wondered whether gender dysphoria is simply another subset of body dysmorphia, that would make a lot of sense.

^ I have a friend who is convinced that it should be called dysmorphia and not dysphoria, especially in the cases of girls who want to hide their female characteristics by binding their breasts etc. She reckons that that's down to body dysmorphia and/or other issues.

In many ways, the trans ideology is the new anorexia especially among teens. You don't tell a teenager who suffers from anorexia that she needs to lose weight and is correct in how she sees herself as overweight in the mirror- so why do we validate and affirm teenagers who feel 'born in the wrong body'?

I think it's because so often trans is conflated with LGB, when really they have nothing to do with each other

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.