Gender Discussions #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe she’s just trying to avoid what has happened to JK?
I think so, she's trying to win points but goes against her own literature.

Edit: Thing is, I am seeing more and more that celebs, writers, semi famous people can get asked by any fan or troll on social media, and if they are not prepared to give their take on something like this, they are either assumed a TERF or goaded by pressure to give their 'soundbite' or 'statement'. Any author could now tweet about their new book, to promo it, and be asked in the comments their views. E.g. the book could literally be about dinosaurs having a picnic on a planet in a futuristic setting, nothing to do with humans. All it takes is one person on Twitter do go "hey, Author, why are the dinosaurs not representative of Trans rights" and pressure mounts for the author to state in a PC way that the book is not transphobic or whatever. The pressure to write their one statement in a way that appeases and doesn't jeopardise the perception of their beliefs is immense! Not worded 'correctly' and their whole book success could be in tatters. That's why I am so angry at the woke police on Twitter. Almost anything can now be crowbarred into being 'transphobic'.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 6
When I was a member on Digital Spy a year or so ago, as soon as I mentioned I was a les, I had a number of PMs from TIMs (presumably) calling me all sorts of bad things purely because I had never acknowledged the existence of trans in any of my posts. Which is another reason why I quit DS

I will admit to having some trepidation when joining Tattle because I was expecting the same kind of rit.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to be the case❤
 
  • Like
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
She's from the woke capital of the world, I wonder does that have anything to do with it
Definitely does. But then why did she write the book. That’s what pisses me off most. People hailed her as a feminist icon for writing that book and now she’s throwing us all under the bus but of course still profits from the book.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 8
I saw MA speak a few years ago not long after the first series of Handmaids Tale. She said herself that the idea/impetus for the story wasn't driven by sexism/misogyny but by environmental concerns (much like in the Oryx & Crake series). It made me wonder if she believed in the principles of Gilead rather than wanting to rally against them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
When I was a member on Digital Spy a year or so ago, as soon as I mentioned I was a les, I had a number of PMs from TIMs (presumably) calling me all sorts of bad things purely because I had never acknowledged the existence of trans in any of my posts. Which is another reason why I quit DS

I will admit to having some trepidation when joining Tattle because I was expecting the same kind of rit.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to be the case❤
sorry you have to deal with that. Glad you found a home (in a sense) here :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
I've not actually read the book yet (it was on to be read pile) but I won't now. I had read a synopsis so thought she was shedding light on systematic mysogyny. 🙁
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
sorry you have to deal with that. Glad you found a home (in a sense) here :)
Personally, I wish the very best for trans and their crusade for equality, chiefly because LGBs had to go through the same fight decades ago. But they really are over-stepping the mark when they take a pop at us.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I saw MA speak a few years ago not long after the first series of Handmaids Tale. She said herself that the idea/impetus for the story wasn't driven by sexism/misogyny but by environmental concerns (much like in the Oryx & Crake series). It made me wonder if she believed in the principles of Gilead rather than wanting to rally against them.
Can you say a bit more about this? Perhaps I am extremely dumb but I can’t recall anything much about the environment in either Handmaids or the sequel. In fact the sequel was almost exclusively about people escaping the regime and helping bring it down. How on earth can this series possibly be construed as not being about sexism or misogyny? I’m sure fairly recently when they were talking about doing away with abortion in the States she made a comment about how it was becoming Gilead.
I nearly went to see her live a year or two ago when she was in England, glad I didn’t now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Margaret Attwood has been going back on THT for quite some time now. I remember having a discussion with a colleague about her being a bit disappointing about five years ago. The book is a feminist icon, MA not so much.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
Can you say a bit more about this? Perhaps I am extremely dumb but I can’t recall anything much about the environment in either Handmaids or the sequel. In fact the sequel was almost exclusively about people escaping the regime and helping bring it down. How on earth can this series possibly be construed as not being about sexism or misogyny? I’m sure fairly recently when they were talking about doing away with abortion in the States she made a comment about how it was becoming Gilead.
I nearly went to see her live a year or two ago when she was in England, glad I didn’t now.
Basically what precedes THT is an environmental breakdown which leads to a global infertility crisis. Gilead is one solution. I very much believe that at the time (possibly because she wrote it whilst still of childbearing age?) she was aware of the strong feminist message, and she has been vocal that everything in the book in terms of persecution against women and LGB people has happened somewhere at some point. But now I think she sees it differently unfortunately.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
If more than anything I love being called/labelled a "les". Doesn't matter what the detractors may say I will always be a liberal les. And I will always support the views of others if they play by the same rules.

Not sure where I'm going with this post, but I guess its because I am a les, and I am proud.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Saw this comment in relation to a discussion on actors playing certain roles:

"If straight actors can’t play gay roles then surely gay actors can’t play straight roles. Ideally the best actor will play a role. That being said Trans roles should only be played by trans actors, but non trans roles should be open to trans actors also."

This is remarkably silly.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Saw this comment in relation to a discussion on actors playing certain roles:

"If straight actors can’t play gay roles then surely gay actors can’t play straight roles. Ideally the best actor will play a role. That being said Trans roles should only be played by trans actors, but non trans roles should be open to trans actors also."

This is remarkably silly.
remarkably silly and not how casting actors works.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
That’s why Rupert Everitt lost his work and others have stayed in the closet. Such a harmful attitude.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
If more than anything I love being called/labelled a "les". Doesn't matter what the detractors may say I will always be a liberal les. And I will always support the views of others if they play by the same rules.

Not sure where I'm going with this post, but I guess its because I am a les, and I am proud.
It's a good word, and why shouldn't you be proud? Women have been fighting for so long to be allowed to openly be lesbians and live in peace, own it! You don't have to call yourself something else just because others don't like it
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Saw this comment in relation to a discussion on actors playing certain roles:

"If straight actors can’t play gay roles then surely gay actors can’t play straight roles. Ideally the best actor will play a role. That being said Trans roles should only be played by trans actors, but non trans roles should be open to trans actors also."

This is remarkably silly.
There's a certain desperate logic in that statement, basically suggesting that the best actor should play the role in question, except if a trans applies and should therefore be given the role regardless!

It's a form of positive discrimination that, if left unchecked, can end up down a very slippery slope. What if you have a scenario where a black les wants to play a black les? Should that role go to the black les or a trans white or trans black? Or what if you had a white gay role, should that go to a professional gay black actor or an amateur black TIM or amateur white TIM?

Will it be seen as as prejudice/bigotry of the trans doesn't get the role? And the TIM did get the role, would the black community protest?

Even thinking about the various problematic combinations is enough to give me a migraine :rolleyes:
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.