Gender Discussions #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Marie Stopes stuff is terrible. I haven’t seen their weepy response though. Must have a look for that.

They seem to have deleted all references on Twitter and Facebook overnight. It was ratio’d as hell before I logged out.

Who’d have thunk it.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I don’t think I’ll ever get on board with the concept of non-binary, it seems like the emo phase of the early 2000’s. Isn’t Nb just someone who, depending on how they’re feeling on a particular day sometimes wears men’s clothes and sometimes wears women’s clothes? Which bathrooms do these people use or does that depend on how they’re ‘feeling’ too?

We should just keep toilets etc segregated by biological sex rather than how someone identifies and be done with the whole thing.
I have seen many female adults now say they are glad they aren't a teen these days. They were tomboys as a teen and say if this trans/nonbinary rhetoric was around when they were young, then they probably would have been confused enough to believe they were part of it.

Did you see that people jumping on JK Rowling again? Give it a rest. https://uproxx.com/viral/jk-rowling-anti-trans-murder-book-reaction/

Reactions: 13
On twitter #RIPJKRowling is trending due to the plot of the lastest book she's written. There's plenty of people on twitter defending her and the book she has written from the trans mob.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Its total madness. I’m getting closer and closer to buying an I ❤ JKR t-shirt. I need some new t-shirts.

Reactions: 7
On twitter #RIPJKRowling is trending due to the plot of the lastest book she's written. There's plenty of people on twitter defending her and the book she has written from the trans mob.
I haven’t seen nearly enough well-known people speaking up for her. I hope she is ok.

Reactions: 14
Why would well known people speak up for her? Most people aren't okay coming out as transphobic last time I checked, especially people in the public eye

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Because she isn't remotely "transphobic". Believing men aren't women doesn't make one transphobic

• Haha
Reactions: 22
No, that does not. If a man says he's not a women then of course you'd believe him, and of course you aren't transphobic for it. But if a MTF says she's a women and you say you're a man, then you are transphobic. It's not hard.

No, that does not. If a man says he's not a women then of course you'd believe him, and of course you aren't transphobic for it. But if a MTF says she's a women and you say you're a man, then you are transphobic. It's not hard.
it’s not about believing or disbelieving someone when they say they are trans. It’s about the potential changes to legislation and erosion of women’s rights.

Reactions: 17
Well if a man tells me he's a woman I will use whatever the preferred pronouns are as a courtesy but no, he is not a woman. One cannot argue with biology and science. Under self ID, a man can just wake up one day and tell everyone he is a woman because "feelings". Meaning he has access to womens only services, prisons, rape shelters, etc. He can participate in womens sports. Do you honestly think that's fair?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Potential legislation? So why don't we wait and see what they would be before we start getting annoyed at people being who they want to be?

And what erosion of women's rights? Including all women in women's rights (including MTF women) is actually making women's rights more inclusive, not getting rid of them.

Well if a man tells me he's a woman I will use whatever the preferred pronouns are as a courtesy but no, he is not a woman. One cannot argue with biology and science. Under self ID, a man can just wake up one day and tell everyone he is a woman because "feelings". Meaning he has access to womens only services, prisons, rape shelters, etc. He can participate in womens sports. Do you honestly think that's fair?
But it's not that easy, and nobody said anything about self ID. It takes years to change, and people don't just wake up due to feelings one day, it's a struggle both physically and mentally and not something done on a whim. With all this backlash people face im surprised anyone admits to being trans, it's not the easiest path to go down. So no, i don't think people wake up one day and just go, im a women so therefore I do think its fair that when someone is comfortable enough to admit that they feel more comfortable using women's services because they identify as female. And long may they be allowed too.

Reactions: 1
Potential legislation? So why don't we wait and see what they would be before we start getting annoyed at people being who they want to be?

And what erosion of women's rights? Including all women in women's rights (including MTF women) is actually making women's rights more inclusive, not getting rid of them.
you mentioned that not believing that a MTF is trans makes someone transphobic. I absolutely think everyone has the right to identify however they wish and I will respect that. Am I still transphobic because I have concerns about women’s rights, children’s rights and the huge upswing in children being given hormone blockers and transition surgery?

Reactions: 13
you mentioned that not believing that a MTF is trans makes someone transphobic. I absolutely think everyone has the right to identify however they wish and I will respect that. Am I still transphobic because I have concerns about women’s rights, children’s rights and the huge upswing in children being given hormone blockers and transition surgery?
Depends what you do about those concerns really, go and attack people and say it's all trans people's fault? Then yeah. Engage in discussions and try to find a way to support trans people and rights then no, i wouldn't say you were.

However, the huge upswing in children being given hormone blockers is like asking why the number of cases of children with autism is on the rise? We know more about it, there's more support and services surrounding it so of course there's going to be an upsiwng. I don't automatically think that's a negative.

I also truly don't think women's rights are being attacked or eradicated because we're including all women. I think that is a very positive thing.

@Shaza96 your information and perception of this debate is outdated and inaccurate
I don't think it is but feel free to explain how/why you feel like that.

Reactions: 3
Depends what you do about those concerns really, go and attack people and say it's all trans people's fault? Then yeah. Engage in discussions and try to find a way to support trans people and rights then no, i wouldn't say you were.

However, the huge upswing in children being given hormone blockers is like asking why the number of cases of children with autism is on the rise? We know more about it, there's more support and services surrounding it so of course there's going to be an upsiwng. I don't automatically think that's a negative.

I also truly don't think women's rights are being attacked or eradicated because we're including all women. I think that is a very positive thing.

I don't think it is but feel free to explain how/why you feel like that.
I certainly would never attack anyone, in any way shape or form.

I disagree with your point about child transition being a good thing. I don’t think any child should receive life altering transition surgery or treatment as a minor. that’s not to say they are not trans, it’s simply that children need time and care as they move from childhood to adulthood. Medical intervention should only ever happen to adults who can give informed consent.

I am not anti trans but I am very nervous about much of the current ideology that labels anyone with legitimate concerns “transphobic” or a “TERF”.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Trans women don’t need access to women’s services because they aren’t women. The duck does an mtf need to see a gynaecologist for? Why should they be placed in women’s domestic violence refuges with vulnerable women who may find the presence of a biological Male triggering because of trauma they have suffered at the hands of other biological males?

No, they don’t need access to women’s services. Trans people need to campaign for their own services and spaces, much like women have. No body gave rape crisis and women’s aid to us, women fought for those things. Women and trans women have different needs and life experiences. They do not mix in settings where women are at their most vulnerable.

And kids going on blockers is absolutely nothing to be so blase about. There is zero evidence to say these blockers are fully reversible or what the long term effects of these off label cancer drugs are, despite the the likes of Mermaids and Stonewall claiming otherwise. The nhs recently changed its guidance on blockers and removed any mention of them being reversible. Anyone who thinks stunting such a vital part of human physical and mental development is normal or healthy and should be supported is delusional quite frankly. It’s a scandal waiting to be uncovered. Kids are being sold lies about how they can “become a boy/girl” and it’s disgusting.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I certainly would never attack anyone, in any way shape or form.

I disagree with your point about child transition being a good thing. I don’t think any child should receive life altering transition surgery or treatment as a minor. that’s not to say they are not trans, it’s simply that children need time and care as they move from childhood to adulthood. Medical intervention should only ever happen to adults who can give informed consent.

I am not anti trans but I am very nervous about much of the current ideology that labels anyone with legitimate concerns “transphobic” or a “TERF”.
I agree with your last point and if people do have legitimate concerns I hope they're able to find a way to discuss them without being attacked. I don't think that's helpful for anyone the way people are attacking others, especially on social media.

I also don't disagree with your point about a child receiving life altering surgery, i don't think they should either. But I think there does need to be a lot more discussions about what that point of it being okay to change is. Is it simply an age? A certain number of years they've been transitioning without the physical aspect? I can't answer that, I'm no expert and I don't even work in the medical field, but I do think more guidelines need to be introduced (to protect children, and everyone), more services, more information around the topic and maybe, more safe spaces for people. More gender neutral bathrooms, alongside male/female bathrooms, so that people have choice and can use what they feel comfortable with. (I'm only using the bathroom example as I see that thrown around a lot). I think as a country we need to sort out these issues and try to help everyone although i am aware It's not that easy.

I agree with your last point and if people do have legitimate concerns I hope they're able to find a way to discuss them without being attacked. I don't think that's helpful for anyone the way people are attacking others, especially on social media.

I also don't disagree with your point about a child receiving life altering surgery, i don't think they should either. But I think there does need to be a lot more discussions about what that point of it being okay to change is. Is it simply an age? A certain number of years they've been transitioning without the physical aspect? I can't answer that, I'm no expert and I don't even work in the medical field, but I do think more guidelines need to be introduced (to protect children, and everyone), more services, more information around the topic and maybe, more safe spaces for people. More gender neutral bathrooms, alongside male/female bathrooms, so that people have choice and can use what they feel comfortable with. (I'm only using the bathroom example as I see that thrown around a lot). I think as a country we need to sort out these issues and try to help everyone although i am aware It's not that easy.
It sounds as though we broadly agree.

Trans women don’t need access to women’s services because they aren’t women. The duck does an mtf need to see a gynaecologist for? Why should they be placed in women’s domestic violence refuges with vulnerable women who may find the presence of a biological Male triggering because of trauma they have suffered at the hands of other biological males?

No, they don’t need access to women’s services. Trans people need to campaign for their own services and spaces, much like women have. No body gave rape crisis and women’s aid to us, women fought for those things. Women and trans women have different needs and life experiences. They do not mix in settings where women are at their most vulnerable.

And kids going on blockers is absolutely nothing to be so blase about. There is zero evidence to say these blockers are fully reversible or what the long term effects of these off label cancer drugs are, despite the the likes of Mermaids and Stonewall claiming otherwise. The nhs recently changed its guidance on blockers and removed any mention of them being reversible. Anyone who thinks stunting such a vital part of human physical and mental development is normal or healthy and should be supported is delusional quite frankly. It’s a scandal waiting to be uncovered.

A trans women is a women, thats why they are called women.

However, i would also not say that their rights sre more important than anyone else's, as in i think eveyone should have equal rights. So yes, if someone is going to find their presence uncomfortable at a women's rescue shelter, then another solution should be found. But why should they be turned away for a service they also need? Because I don't believe a trans women is going to turn up at a gynecologist or a domestic shelter unless they actually need that service. Why would they want to make their own lives harder knowing the backlash they'd face for it? (There will of course always be a minority who exploit services, for now, I'm not talking about them).

I agree, trans women having their own services is a good idea if it makes people feel more comfortable. But i disagree with the notion that they should be the ones to fight for it just because we had to fight for women's rights on our own. We should help everyone we can get equal rights and opportunities.

I also definitely do not think giving children blockers is anything to be blaise about. I've already covered my opinion on trans children and their treatment and support so I'll not repeat it.

I would also just like to point out that just because I disagree with J.K.Rowling and the way she has going about things and used her platform, does not mean that I don't think a discussion needs to be had surrounding all of this. Because it most definitely does.

A trans women is a women, thats why they are called women.

However, i would also not say that their rights sre more important than anyone else's, as in i think eveyone should have equal rights. So yes, if someone is going to find their presence uncomfortable at a women's rescue shelter, then another solution should be found. But why should they be turned away for a service they also need? Because I don't believe a trans women is going to turn up at a gynecologist or a domestic shelter unless they actually need that service. Why would they want to make their own lives harder knowing the backlash they'd face for it? (There will of course always be a minority who exploit services, for now, I'm not talking about them).

I agree, trans women having their own services is a good idea if it makes people feel more comfortable. But i disagree with the notion that they should be the ones to fight for it just because we had to fight for women's rights on our own. We should help everyone we can get equal rights and opportunities.

I also definitely do not think giving children blockers is anything to be blaise about. I've already covered my opinion on trans children and their treatment and support so I'll not repeat it.

I would also just like to point out that just because I disagree with J.K.Rowling and the way she has going about things and used her platform, does not mean that I don't think a discussion needs to be had surrounding all of this. Because it most definitely does.
A transwoman is a transwoman. It is not appropriate that male bodied persons have access to facilities and services for women and girls. These are sex separated spaces that need to stay this way for the safety and wellbeing of women and girls. Instead of the fervent push to allow open access into womens spaces and services there should be greater access created for the needed services and support for transpeople.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.