Gender Discussion #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just re-posting this link from GC academia network.

The latest submitted post details how a colleague was trying to force pronouns on everyone at work, including printing badges off for them and updating the door plaques without consent of the person writing the post. Social coersion.

A snippet:

"One day I came in and found a badge that he had left on my desk that said “she/her” - I hadn’t been asked what my pronouns were. I put the badge to one side, deciding I didn’t want to wear it as my title (Dr) is already neutral.

A few weeks later I took a couple of days leave, when I came back he had changed our door sign to include both our pronouns, again I wasn’t asked what my pronouns were or whether I was happy to display them. He was quite an intimidating character and I was worried about his reaction if I brought up that I was uncomfortable with this."

The post is longer on the webpage. I am seeing more and more accounts online of people being brandished with pronoun badges and such, without their consent.
I don't get this at all, I am fine with people who want to advertise their pronouns in the case they are non binary/have transitioned,whatever their reason and I will respect that, in the same way I would respect if someone wanted to be called by a nickname, or their middle name instead of their first. But if you don't want to advertise it, surely people can just assume this is because the pronouns you use are clear from how you look?

Reactions: 12
I can’t bloody remember the difference between a verb and an adjective, but I definitely know what a pronoun is thanks to the trans cult. That’s something, I guess??

• Haha
Reactions: 23
The only example I've ever seen was Teen Vogue's anal sex guide that was separated into 'prostate owners' and 'non prostate owners.'
Maybe I should use that in my work Zoom name and email signature: Bollie Smith (non prostate owner) and see if anyone asks why the ridiculous label 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
I don't get this at all, I am fine with people who want to advertise their pronouns in the case they are non binary/have transitioned,whatever their reason and I will respect that, in the same way I would respect if someone wanted to be called by a nickname, or their middle name instead of their first. But if you don't want to advertise it, surely people can just assume this is because the pronouns you use are clear from how you look?
I was amused by the fact that one of the points of pronoun declarations is that you can't assume based on visuals what someone's pronouns are, and yet that's exactly what this guy did.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The pronoun stuff is creeping into my office. We are being expected to have pronouns on our email signatures. End of the day, if someone wants that then go ahead and I will respect whatever you put but why the hell should I have to declare it? I don’t agree with it. I find it offensive that I am even being asked to confirm to everyone that I am female.

Reactions: 24
The pronoun stuff is creeping into my office. We are being expected to have pronouns on our email signatures. End of the day, if someone wants that then go ahead and I will respect whatever you put but why the hell should I have to declare it? I don’t agree with it. I find it offensive that I am even being asked to confirm to everyone that I am female.
I agree, I feel the same about "cis woman" surely we are the "norm" as it were, I get why you would label yourself a trans woman/man/non binary or whatever but why are we just losing the term "woman"?

Reactions: 14
I agree, I feel the same about "cis woman" surely we are the "norm" as it were, I get why you would label yourself a trans woman/man/non binary or whatever but why are we just losing the term "woman"?
Most humans have 10 toes and there's the odd time where one has an extra toe on a foot. But we still say humans have 10 toes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
Cannot stand the pronoun stuff creeping into the office. I'm really not interested in people bringing this into the workplace because it's never relevant. Just turn up, do your job, and stop looking for attention :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Most humans have 10 toes and their's the odd time where one has an extra toe on a foot. But we still say humans have 10 toes.
This is what really pisses me off when people refer to their babies as ‘they’ and pretend they don’t care what the sex is. If trans people are a minority then the overwhelming likelihood is that your child will be perfectly happy being called whatever pronouns match their sex, you really don’t have to start messing your kids up before they’re even here.

Reactions: 17
This is what really pisses me off when people refer to their babies as ‘they’ and pretend they don’t care what the sex is. If trans people are a minority then the overwhelming likelihood is that your child will be perfectly happy being called whatever pronouns match their sex, you really don’t have to start messing your kids up before they’re even here.
But then they wouldn't get social media kudos for being 'open-minded.'

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's more open-minded to have a young son who likes barbies and Disney and playing dress-up, who you let have his hobbies, than it is to tell him those things make him a girl.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
But then they wouldn't get social media kudos for being 'open-minded.'

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's more open-minded to have a young son who likes barbies and Disney and playing dress-up, who you let have his hobbies, than it is to tell him those things make him a girl.
exactly! there was a period when gender differences were becoming less significant, like the whole gender neutral childern's clothes toys etc... we are now backtracking

Reactions: 16
The pronoun stuff is no longer about it being an ally- I do believe it's so that asking pronouns can become the norm so that trans people feel they are the same as 'cis' - for instance, 'if that cis person is being asked their pronouns and I am being asked too it must mean that I pass as a cis person'

Reactions: 13
Cannot stand the pronoun stuff creeping into the office. I'm really not interested in people bringing this into the workplace because it's never relevant. Just turn up, do your job, and stop looking for attention :rolleyes:
I'm not playing along with this nonsense. It's clear to anyone with eyes I'm female.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I am so hoping for a good outcome in Maya Forstater's case. I believe if this happens, a lot of this pronoun nonsense at work will have to stop or at least, nobody will be able to be coerced into it. I'm heartened by how much support there seems to be for Maya's case and especially the EHRC who seem to have finally found their teeth.
I don't know if anyone saw, but yesterday someone was policing who Mary Beard follows on Twitter, pointing out that she 'follows a lot of TERFs'. Not only is this kind of weird monitoring scarily intrusive IMO, it's also worth pointing out that following someone doesn't mean you agree with them. I followed Donald Trump for a pretty considerable period on social media to see what was going on in America, and I find the man revolting. This tendency to choose a random well known woman (thinking here back to what happened to Sarah Paulson the other week) and start policing their likes/follows/absence of the 'party line' in the bio is just horrible, it's going too far.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I am so hoping for a good outcome in Maya Forstater's case. I believe if this happens, a lot of this pronoun nonsense at work will have to stop or at least, nobody will be able to be coerced into it. I'm heartened by how much support there seems to be for Maya's case and especially the EHRC who seem to have finally found their teeth.
I don't know if anyone saw, but yesterday someone was policing who Mary Beard follows on Twitter, pointing out that she 'follows a lot of TERFs'. Not only is this kind of weird monitoring scarily intrusive IMO, it's also worth pointing out that following someone doesn't mean you agree with them. I followed Donald Trump for a pretty considerable period on social media to see what was going on in America, and I find the man revolting. This tendency to choose a random well known woman (thinking here back to what happened to Sarah Paulson the other week) and start policing their likes/follows/absence of the 'party line' in the bio is just horrible, it's going too far.
I agree, I would never have followed trump as I would probably end up having a heart attack from stress :LOL: but this is exacatly what you should do surely, everyone is complaining about people being "echo chambers" why wouldn't you want to see the other side of the argument?

Policing likes and follows, what ghouls. The documentary on Netflix about social media, can't recall the name, but it was suggested there to follow people you don't necessarily agree with just to get different viewpoints. Following someone does not mean co-signing their every word.

Also I saw that the barrister used the argument of 'Simone DeBeavoir said no girl is born a woman, can that not be the same for transwomen' (paraphrasing). Now I've had no legal training but is misinterpreting the words of a dead feminist really a good basis for a legal argument? It's also been said many times that DeBeavoir was not talking about gender smegging identity

Reactions: 13
Policing likes and follows, what ghouls. The documentary on Netflix about social media, can't recall the name, but it was suggested there to follow people you don't necessarily agree with just to get different viewpoints. Following someone does not mean co-signing their every word.

Also I saw that the barrister used the argument of 'Simone DeBeavoir said no girl is born a woman, can that not be the same for transwomen' (paraphrasing). Now I've had no legal training but is misinterpreting the words of a dead feminist really a good basis for a legal argument? It's also been said many times that DeBeavoir was not talking about gender smegging identity
This winds me up sooooo much. The quickest way to tell someone hasn't actually ever so much as laid eyes on a copy of The Second Sex tbh.

I agree, I would never have followed trump as I would probably end up having a heart attack from stress :LOL: but this is exacatly what you should do surely, everyone is complaining about people being "echo chambers" why wouldn't you want to see the other side of the argument?
If you're in their echo chamber, echo chambers are great. Any other echo chamber - wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Such a terrible argument. That's the kind of argument that might get likes and applause on TRA Twitter but just looks stupid in a court of law.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.