Gender Discussion #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Health care for trans people includes hormone replacement therapy and various surgeries that do indeed partly change people’s sex and physical characteristics. As someone who has been taking hormones for over 10 years and has had sex reassignment surgery, my sex and physical characteristics are vastly different to those of cisgender men. We are hugely different physically. My sex characteristics have changed to a large degree, such as hair growth, fat distribution, muscle mass and many other health related factors — and my body is driven by oestrogen and progesterone. While some of my physical traits aren’t the same as of a cisgender woman either, it’s simply not accurate to say my sex characteristics have not changed. There is nuance here, something that the statement ‘sex cannot be changed’ ignores. "

- No one is saying some of your sex characteristics haven't changed. But your sex hasn't. If a woman takes a drug with the side effects provoking excessive hair growth(one of the examples listed), well like you one of her sex characteristics has changed but she hasn't changed sex and neither have you.

thoughts?
Yup, sex characteristics do not equal sex. As a woman who suffers from hirsutism my facial/body hair growth is more similar to the average man than it is to the average woman but that doesn't make me any less of a woman/female. You could also make the same argument about a woman who has had to undergo a double mastectomy for cancer and has chosen, or is unable, to get breast reconstruction surgery by saying that their chest looks more like the average man than the average woman but that doesn't, in any way, shape or form, make them less of a woman/female.

Reactions: 21
Yup, sex characteristics do not equal sex. As a woman who suffers from hirsutism my facial/body hair is more similar to the average man than it is to the average woman but that doesn't make me any less of a woman/female. You could also make the same argument about a woman who has had to undergo a double mastectomy for cancer and has chosen, or is unable, to get breast reconstruction surgery by saying that their chest looks more like the average man than the average woman but that doesn't, in any way, shape or form, make them less of a woman/female.
exactly but they're comparing these women to men which is pretty offensive.

Reactions: 11
Yup, sex characteristics do not equal sex. As a woman who suffers from hirsutism my facial/body hair growth is more similar to the average man than it is to the average woman but that doesn't make me any less of a woman/female. You could also make the same argument about a woman who has had to undergo a double mastectomy for cancer and has chosen, or is unable, to get breast reconstruction surgery by saying that their chest looks more like the average man than the average woman but that doesn't, in any way, shape or form, make them less of a woman/female.
High five from another hirsutism sufferer. I also have a deeper than average voice for a woman. None of these things make me less of a woman and as Zenchick101 says, it's pretty offensive to suggest that these physical characteristics define your sex.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I was very suspicious of this story. Very suspicious. But I heard on Twitter today that Gareeca Gordon really is a female. Apparently photos were withheld because she was undergoing psychiatric tests to see whether she could even be held accountable for the crime (which I think is a reflection of how rare a crime this is for a woman and how damaged Gordon is).

I too was suspicious but turns out I was wrong. I really hate how whenever a woman actually commits a crime, I end up doing more digging because I can’t help but wonder if it really was a woman or not. Just call a spade a spade and say trans woman if they are one, it avoids any confusion.

I did read that Gareeca had been a victim of abuse at the hands of men in the past. Horrible situation all round.
It is far too early in the day for this kind of nonsense

It’s discriminatory to point out facts now? Humans can’t change sex, it’s impossible. You can present as the opposite sex and take all the hormones you like but ultimately it’s cosmetic, it’s not what your body naturally wants or does. Your dna is your dna. It’s really bleeping stupid for news outlets to peddle this misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
How quickly they’ve gone from from ‘nObOdY iS sAyInG wE cHaNgE sEX’ to ‘we can change sex’ 🤢

Reactions: 16
High five from another hirsutism sufferer. I also have a deeper than average voice for a woman. None of these things make me less of a woman and as Zenchick101 says, it's pretty offensive to suggest that these physical characteristics define your sex.

Hey!

I've come to terms with it now as just being the way that I'm made, but when I was a teenager I was devastated. I can easily imagine a young girl nowadays who suffers from hirsutism saying that they 'don't feel like a woman' (aka they don't feel feminine enough to be a woman) and then ending up on a pathway to transitioning.

Reactions: 6
Hey!

I've come to terms with it now as just being the way that I'm made, but when I was a teenager I was devastated. I can easily imagine a young girl nowadays who suffers from hirsutism saying that they 'don't feel like a woman' (aka they don't feel feminine enough to be a woman) and then ending up on a pathway to transitioning.
Absolutely. I'm lucky in that mine is limited to a bit of facial hair, but it was very embarrassing when I was young. I can so easily see young girls with it today thinking that it's somehow proof they're not really female, because that's what the narrative is for their generation - your female status is based on how feminine you are, instead actually being female.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
A trans person I used to follow on Twitter, who was Twitter friendly with lots of celebrities, said how they used their sparkly diamanté purse and it made the cashier at the shop confident about calling her ‘ma’am’. They have long hair and wear dresses and heels and have sparkly purses and think that means a woman. Women can wear flats, and trousers, and have short hair, and not wear makeup but it doesn’t make them men. It’s back to the 50s and I just don’t get it. Harry Styles enjoys skirts lace and ruffles. Waiting for everyone to decide he is trans but he seems to be resisting that so far, which is good. Man with sparkly purse, go for it.

• Sick
Reactions: 24
Saw this post on another forum, defending transwomen taking part in women's sports

"Aren't sports typically looking for people with natural advantages. Look at Michael Phelps. The man not only has unusually long limbs, giving him a fairly unique edge in swimming, but his body doesn't even produce the normal amounts of lactic acid.

I guess the rules change if those advantages prevent cis white women winning events, I guess; then we put Black women through demeaning and dehumanizing screening processes or randomly declare Chinese athletes 'must' be trans to have won. Or run extremely gross checks on the genitals of children. "

It's always "cis white" people that these sorts take real issue with, isn't it?

Reactions: 9
I just don't understand the people who want trans women to be treated as women but insist on differentiating between cis and trans women at the same time. In a lot of the general society where your gender has no 'huge' effects (though gender biases are pretty big, but they're usually not the most obvious thing) by referring to these two 'types' of women you're just drawing distinctions. I mean, saying 'cis' alone is basically the politically-correct way of saying that the person is an actual/biological woman, and even then some trans people choose to use that as an insult

It just really feels like the group will be stuck in this victimised position because of their own language use. Sure, there's room for the general society outside of the community to change that language too but it's not really an issue that affects us and would have to be led by them

- on the sport issue -

It's surprising how much of the discussion is based on hormones rather than the fact that women and men are physically different also. I don't remember who or in which thread it was (or maybe it was even reddit) but someone pointed out that the time differences between men and women for some sports, especially running, are huge. Having fully transitioned won't change that

• Heart
I just don't understand the people who want trans women to be treated as women but insist on differentiating between cis and trans women at the same time. In a lot of the general society where your gender has no 'huge' effects (though gender biases are pretty big, but they're usually not the most obvious thing) by referring to these two 'types' of women you're just drawing distinctions. I mean, saying 'cis' alone is basically the politically-correct way of saying that the person is an actual/biological woman, and even then some trans people choose to use that as an insult

It just really feels like the group will be stuck in this victimised position because of their own language use. Sure, there's room for the general society outside of the community to change that language too but it's not really an issue that affects us and would have to be led by them

- on the sport issue -

It's surprising how much of the discussion is based on hormones rather than the fact that women and men are physically different also. I don't remember who or in which thread it was (or maybe it was even reddit) but someone pointed out that the time differences between men and women for some sports, especially running, are huge. Having fully transitioned won't change that
This is an article although not sure it's the one that was on here a couple of weeks ago https://law.duke.edu/sports/sex-sport/comparative-athletic-performance/
According to this article Alyson Felixs PB for 400m was exceeded 15,000 times in 1 year by Men as was Tori Bowies 100m PB. Both Women are World, Olympic and US Champions. An elite Female athlete cannot even compete with an average Male club runner ffs.

Reactions: 10
God I could help looking that story up on twitter (why do I do that to myself?) and saw the response

“Personally, I think we should ban all strong people from weightlifting, as they have an unfair natural advantage.”

I’m sure the person who came up with that thought they were incredibly clever, actually they seem really pleased with themselves by some of their other replies.

Is it wrong that as awful as it is for those women who have worked so incredibly hard I think it will take something like a MtF winning an Olympic gold medal in women’s weightlifting for people to take notice? I almost hope they win to bring some coverage to the subject

• Haha
  • Heart
God I could help looking that story up on twitter (why do I do that to myself?) and saw the response

“Personally, I think we should ban all strong people from weightlifting, as they have an unfair natural advantage.”

I’m sure the person who came up with that thought they were incredibly clever, actually they seem really pleased with themselves by some of their other replies.

Is it wrong that as awful as it is for those women who have worked so incredibly hard I think it will take something like a MtF winning an Olympic gold medal in women’s weightlifting for people to take notice? I almost hope they win to bring some coverage to the subject

Well it's only a problem when these athletes take prizes away from white cis women after all....

Reactions: 3

God that just sums up a generation of people who've never been told no 😅 if you're an elite athlete who has worked hard you should be excluded because it's not fair on those who aren't 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Kinda pissed I can’t have breast reduction due to large and uneven breasts as it is deemed to be a psychological problem but this person can get bottom surgery because of the mental trauma it is causing them. The NHS needs to make their rules uniformed throughout otherwise it’s just unfair.
B8ACBD5D-2C14-4486-BFCA-2396DAD5BAD1.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: 15
As a feminist I dream of a world where sports are no longer segregated by gender, I dream of a world where men hold every title and medal and young girls* have no incentive to pursue sports. If you disagree you may be an a.) facist b.) terf

*bonus points if these young girls go on to be totally empowered sex workers

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Sorry not sorry but Laurel Hubbard is hideous 🤢

7A73CCF0-6017-46C0-8CB3-91F5F82B4338.jpeg

Just a mediocre male weightlifter so he has to steal the show from women. Should’ve stayed in retirement 😡

• Angry
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.