Gender Discussion #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Caitlin Jenner is exactly right when they say California has bigger problems than pronouns. However, as a republican and a trumpist, I do question their ability to solve things like: drought, forest fires, insanely high property/rent prices, homelessnes and homeless ghettos like skid row, guns and gun crime, trigger happy police.

So I've been seeing some content online from trans sources going 'gender is a social construct' or 'gender is performance' which I do completely agree with. However, I assume because of who is posting this stuff that they think there is only gender and not sex.

Reactions: 11
So I've been seeing some content online from trans sources going 'gender is a social construct' or 'gender is performance' which I do completely agree with. However, I assume because of who is posting this stuff that they think there is only gender and not sex.
It’s the conflation of gender and sex that gets me.

I saw a Tiktok from a young woman saying “Gender is bullshit and that’s why I’m non binary. I’m not a woman. I don’t even feel comfortable ticking “female” on a form”.

Of course she was getting loads of applause, but I just wanted to scream - you are female and a woman! Just because you reject gender and societal expectations of women, that doesn’t make you not a woman!

The entire video was just “I’m not like the other girls”. I’m sure she believes that “other girls” just love being oppressed and she’s the only one that’s angry about it.

Reactions: 20
That is horrific.

It's inappropriate but not in the same league as sexual abuse/harassment. I think as a society we need to be careful we dont edge back to the Victorian days of hypocritical propriety.
I didn’t say it was abuse. Just remember it because it was so strange and it apparently got tiresome for everyone

Reactions: 3
Its normalised online. It's not just personal information people splash on social media it's also nudity. Sometimes for money, like only fans etc. We now live in a society where young women.....and lots of men too, think a viable side career is showing off online etc

Reactions: 6
Its normalised online. It's not just personal information people splash on social media it's also nudity. Sometimes for money, like only fans etc. We now live in a society where young women.....and lots of men too, think a viable side career is showing off online etc
Which sometimes has me tempted to bombard the internet with extracts from Dvorkin and others. (Woman Hating, the first book here, makes me cry angry tears)

We all deserve better than this.

Reactions: 7
I'm actually very surprised how many young guys, straight or gay, jump to pimping themselves out on social media....or elsewhere online too. When did this happen? When did young men start becoming hookers ?😐

Reactions: 5
nicola adams has retweeted caitlyn's video!
This is bloody fantastic! The more that women in sport speak up about about it the better. I’m no fan of Jenner either, but I’m delighted that they have stated their view. It’s hilarious seeing the TRAs trying to cancel Jenner now, what they have said will hopefully peak trans many more people.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I have to say that watching the TRAs losing their tit over CJ's video is giving me life- they're calling an elite athlete and transwoman 'anti trans' and 'anti science'

• Heart
  • Haha
I have to say that watching the TRAs losing their tit over CJ's video is giving me life- they're calling an elite athlete and transwoman 'anti trans' and 'anti science'
Agree, I really hope seeing how quickly they turn on ‘their own’ when they don’t toe the party line makes people think more carefully about all these issues.

Reactions: 14
Agree, I really hope seeing how quickly they turn on ‘their own’ when they don’t toe the party line makes people think more carefully about all these issues.
I hope more trans women come out in support of what Caitlyn said, as others have said I don't like her or agree with her politics at all but I am really impressed with this. It is beyond parody that people are accusing her of being anti trans

Reactions: 10
Caitlin Jenner is exactly right when they say California has bigger problems than pronouns. However, as a republican and a trumpist, I do question their ability to solve things like: drought, forest fires, insanely high property/rent prices, homelessnes and homeless ghettos like skid row, guns and gun crime, trigger happy police.

I don't know CJ's political ideas or how they would run California, but California has been a democrat strong hold for decades, and it seems like a hot mess. Maybe they have some good ideas that we don't know about.

Reactions: 4
nicola adams has retweeted caitlyn's video!
Now THAT is stunning and brave!

I don't know CJ's political ideas or how they would run California, but California has been a democrat strong hold for decades, and it seems like a hot mess. Maybe they have some good ideas that we don't know about.
Not always for governor though - Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor from 2003 to 2011 and he's a Republican, ditto Ronald Reagan 1967-1975 (although admittedly that is decades ago!)

Orange County also has a strong Republican contingent.

I saw a comment from someone about how Caitlin was throwing trans girls under a bus. Well I would see it as CJ not throwing actual girls under a bus. Also saw another comment about how CJ isn't a real transwoman because they enjoyed male privilege. I know CJ is far wealthier than most but why does CJ have male privilege but others don't? They are hilariously lacking in self awareness

Now THAT is stunning and brave!

Not always for governor though - Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor from 2003 to 2011 and he's a Republican, ditto Ronald Reagan 1967-1975 (although admittedly that is decades ago!)
Oh didn't know about AS, but yes RR was a long time ago ;) . I just mean that I don't know what their plans for California would be and perhaps another republican in an overwhelmingly democrat state might be good? It would be interesting to know what their plan for Gender ideology is.

Reactions: 3
I really hope CJ doesn't capitulate. It grinds my gears when celebs apologise after a twitter pile on because they have offended a tiny minority of people. If your view is reasonable and well thought out stand your ground. There is no right to not be offended.

Reactions: 11
I really hope CJ doesn't capitulate. It grinds my gears when celebs apologise after a twitter pile on because they have offended a tiny minority of people. If your view is reasonable and well thought out stand your ground. There is no right to not be offended.
I don't think she is the kind of person to apologise tbh, I don't think she even did after running that person over

Reactions: 9
Oh didn't know about AS, but yes RR was a long time ago ;) . I just mean that I don't know what their plans for California would be and perhaps another republican in an overwhelmingly democrat state might be good? It would be interesting to know what their plan for Gender ideology is.
Interestingly it’s not actually a totally Democratic state. Like most places it’s a mix. Orange County and many rural areas are very Red. Fivethirtyeight and other outlets have maps from previous elections I imagine that break it down. I’d wager they’ll do more in the lead up to this Governor race too. I have no faith in the current iteration of the Republican party to protect or advocate for women’s rights though. They’re a disaster IMO.

this is what makes me angry, for years we have been moving towards being gender neutral, with clothes, childrens toys etc, we are now regressing and the genders are becoming more rigid again. If thye didn't want to wear what they deem "female clothes" why did they? no one is foricng them to wear dresses or whatever. So many people that back in the day would have just been deemed "effeminiate" or a "tom boy" are now being convinced they need to transition or make big announcements regarding what they/their pronouns are
These are the same people that argue that there are no “boys” and “girls” clothes, there’s just “clothes”..that’s why John Lewis (I think it was there) was going to change their children’s section to non segregated clothing.
the other thing I don’t understand, and excuse me if I’m being ignorant here, is how you can be trans, but also non binary? If you feel strongly enough that you’re one way that you need to transition to the opposite sex, how can you say you also don’t fit in “the binary” 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.