Gender Discussion #64

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love JKR, I'm very grateful to her for everything she's done and her wealth and untouchability meant the conversations that needed to happen was smashed open and couldn't be cancelled back into its box.

I do agree with DH though that a nasty side has crept into JKRs tweets lately. In her 2020 essay she talks about knowing and loving trans people and is clear that her red line is that biological sex is real and that no one has the right to force us to say it isn't or to take women's sex based rights away.

There's a meanness and singularity to her tweets lately. I saw her use the phrase "cross dresser" during the week. And fine you might think that manager/referee looks a state but again as Debbie said football management is already open to any gender and there's no advantage conferred here so why bother targetting him ?

I suppose it's the difference between trying to a have a nuanced level headed discussion about immigration versus using derogatory terms about migrants to make your point.

I don't believe gender identity is real, but I also don't believe in flinging slurs at anyone who believes they are trans. A football manager who wants long hair and a woman's name for me comes under "who cares". It's not in the same league as Leah Thompson and when you refer to trans people as cross dressers you make it easy for the GC crowd to decry you as just a bigot, rather than someone whose quite rightly standing up for women's rights.
In this case JKR responded to an article in the DM, stating the truth, that the newly appointed manager is male - not targeting anyone, just a response to something which is in the public domain. It is important that we have someone of JKRs stature responding to these stories in the media - a lot of people believe that transwomen have actually had surgery and are women as a result and don't see this gaslighting as an issue until it's too late.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
In this case JKR responded to an article in the DM, stating the truth, that the newly appointed manager is male - not targeting anyone, just a response to something which is in the public domain. It is important that we have someone of JKRs stature responding to these stories in the media - a lot of people believe that transwomen have actually had surgery and are women as a result and don't see this gaslighting as an issue until it's too late.
Ah yes, that bastion of gender identity support and believer that TWAW, the Daily Mail 😂

I assume the Daily Mail only wrote about this referee person because they look a state and it drives engagement. Like when they post female celebs looking overweight and tired, in bikinis with a lot of visible cellulite and pretend to laud them as "flaunting their curves" when it's clear they are mocking them.

I don't think JKR needed to point out to readers of the *daily mail* that the ref is male. I think that was the Daily mail's only point already.

Reactions: 5
From that Debbie Hayton article:

“Kindness is a virtue, and lack of kindness can be off-putting.”

It’s #BeKind again - ie a man telling a woman to ‘be kind’, a man who has no perception, experience or clue what it feels like to be a woman but is putting his two pennyworth in anyway.

And JKR is right about AGP Clark. He got where he is through spending the first 45 years or so as a common or garden bloke - how many women of his age referee for male football teams, even though refereeing is open to all? Just because he’s put a frock on, it doesn’t mean he is suddenly not a white, middle-aged bloke.

But I appreciate that we are not all of one hive mind and that people in the GC community have differing views.

ETA, I think the case of Clark was widely reported at the time - I first came across the story on the BBC https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68122079.amp

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I love JKR, I'm very grateful to her for everything she's done and her wealth and untouchability meant the conversations that needed to happen was smashed open and couldn't be cancelled back into its box.

I do agree with DH though that a nasty side has crept into JKRs tweets lately. In her 2020 essay she talks about knowing and loving trans people and is clear that her red line is that biological sex is real and that no one has the right to force us to say it isn't or to take women's sex based rights away.

There's a meanness and singularity to her tweets lately. I saw her use the phrase "cross dresser" during the week. And fine you might think that manager/referee looks a state but again as Debbie said football management is already open to any gender and there's no advantage conferred here so why bother targetting him ?

I suppose it's the difference between trying to a have a nuanced level headed discussion about immigration versus using derogatory terms about migrants to make your point.

I don't believe gender identity is real, but I also don't believe in flinging slurs at anyone who believes they are trans. A football manager who wants long hair and a woman's name for me comes under "who cares". It's not in the same league as Leah Thompson and when you refer to trans people as cross dressers you make it easy for the GC crowd to decry you as just a bigot, rather than someone whose quite rightly standing up for women's rights.
Perhaps JKR is making the point that this appointment, which is at level 5 of the English football pyramid, only made headlines because of his trans status. Quick poll. Can anyone with out googling name the manager of Saltdean United Women's team, what about Dorking Wanderers, another opponent. Hell be honest, without Google can anyone even name the other teams in the division?

These women turn out week in week out mostly unpaid and unappreciated. Yet the London and South East Women's Premier Division suddenly becomes news worthy because of a bloke in a dress?

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I never said the ref was a woman. I said when JKR flings insults (or what can be perceived as insults given cross dresser is quite an outdated term) she makes it easy to dismiss the myriad of correct things she is also saying as just the ramblings of a bigot.
So basically you are saying Rowling should 'be kind' and 'nice' even in the face of a torrent of abuse.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Perhaps JKR is making the point that this appointment, which is at level 5 of the English football pyramid, only made headlines because of his trans status. Quick poll. Can anyone with out googling name the manager of Saltdean United Women's team, what about Dorking Wanderers, another opponent. Hell be honest, without Google can anyone even name the other teams in the division?

These women turn out week in week out mostly unpaid and unappreciated. Yet the London and South East Women's Premier Division suddenly becomes news worthy because of a bloke in a dress?
As above, my position is the daily mail were mocking them already.
I doubt they think this is a real break through in the gender barriers of division 5 soccer management.
---
So basically you are saying Rowling should 'be kind' and 'nice' even in the face of a torrent of abuse she's had ever since publicly supporting May Forstater years ago and then writing her essay.
I literally never said "be kind". I said she can make hard points and have difficult conversations without resorting to insult slinging.

My analogy was that it's like saying that we need a robust immigration strategy for example, wanting to discuss if the level of inward immigration is becoming more than a country can cope with - but that opening that discussion with racial slurs means it's immediately going nowhere.

But sure, reduce what Ive said down to dismissing me as one of the "be kind" gang.

Last edited:
So basically you are saying Rowling should 'be kind' and 'nice' even in the face of a torrent of abuse.
All this be kind bollocks gets on my tits.
They don’t actually mean be kind do they? They want to compel kindness from other people but aren’t prepared to be kind themselves. What they really mean is deny reality and blithely go along with this nonsense. I’m pretty sure that no other mental illness requires people to reinforce the delusions of the sufferers.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I literally never said "be kind". I said she can make hard points and have difficult conversations without resorting to insult slinging.

My analogy was that it's like saying that we need a robust immigration strategy for example, wanting to discuss if the level of inward immigration is becoming more than a country can cope with - but that opening that discussion with racial slurs means it's immediately going nowhere.

But sure, reduce what Ive said down to dismissing me as one of the "be kind" gang.
I know you didn't say be kind. I used it in quotation marks to make reference to the often repeated refrain online these days imploring people to be kind to one another. That wasn't super clear, I apologise. The 'be kind' rhetoric can be a bit patronising. Often also used as a way to tell women off for not being nice enough. Personally I think some of your posts came across as policing Rowling's language and tone in a similar way (so too does Hayton's article, imo). You might not think so, but that's how it came across to me anyway. We can agree to disagree.

Cross dresser is a term Stonewall include in their list of lgbtq terms, so I would argue it's not a slur https://www.stonewall.org.uk/list-lgbtq-terms

Reactions: 21
The only stance with this is zero tolerance. It doesn't matter if the trans person is young, appears to be the salt of the earth, isn't harming anyone, has had their penis cut off or anything else pushing us women to be kind and tolerant. Men out!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 40
A friend of mine was running an ultra last weekend, it seems to have prizes for male, female and trans participants. There was only 1 trans participant who finished several hours after the men and women’s podiums had been filled but still got a trophy. The organisers put up a congratulatory post (as they had for the first man and woman). There were a few congratulatory comments by return but also two themes. One that TWAW therefore they should compete as one and that this showed there was no advantage being born male (ignoring that this person was very mediocre and the first woman was elite level) which I found worrying but also a lot of discussion about putting a skirt on and getting a prize to finish hours later with zero competition. Went back to look how it was going today and the post had disappeared so assumed it had escalated. It does beg the question about having a category for one person but at least they didn’t take somebody else’s prize. Can you guess which one it is?

Attachments

• Sick
Reactions: 13
Ah yes, that bastion of gender identity support and believer that TWAW, the Daily Mail 😂

I assume the Daily Mail only wrote about this referee person because they look a state and it drives engagement. Like when they post female celebs looking overweight and tired, in bikinis with a lot of visible cellulite and pretend to laud them as "flaunting their curves" when it's clear they are mocking them.

I don't think JKR needed to point out to readers of the *daily mail* that the ref is male. I think that was the Daily mail's only point already.
To be honest, you sound a bit patronising with your Daily Mail comments. I read the DM along with many other news sources and we aren't all totally thick like many people make us out to be. And I also don't think that the DM are very TWAW either, I've read many an article on there against this lunacy and in support of JKR. I think often their articles are written in such a way as to highlight to the masses as to what's really going on. I agree they aren't perfect but they are one of the better news agencies out there for the Gender Critical amongst us.

Reactions: 27
A friend of mine was running an ultra last weekend, it seems to have prizes for male, female and trans participants. There was only 1 trans participant who finished several hours after the men and women’s podiums had been filled but still got a trophy. The organisers put up a congratulatory post (as they had for the first man and woman). There were a few congratulatory comments by return but also two themes. One that TWAW therefore they should compete as one and that this showed there was no advantage being born male (ignoring that this person was very mediocre and the first woman was elite level) which I found worrying but also a lot of discussion about putting a skirt on and getting a prize to finish hours later with zero competition. Went back to look how it was going today and the post had disappeared so assumed it had escalated. It does beg the question about having a category for one person but at least they didn’t take somebody else’s prize. Can you guess which one it is?
I think it’s a good compromise having prizes for male, female and ‘trans’. That way, people who don’t want to compete in the category that aligns with their sex can compete in the trans category. At least it puts a stop to elite men competing with women, even if there are only a few people entering in the third category.

Reactions: 22
I know you didn't say be kind. I used it in quotation marks to make reference to the often repeated refrain online these days imploring people to be kind to one another. That wasn't super clear, I apologise. The 'be kind' rhetoric can be a bit patronising. Often also used as a way to tell women off for not being nice enough. Personally I think some of your posts came across as policing Rowling's language and tone in a similar way (so too does Hayton's article, imo). You might not think so, but that's how it came across to me anyway. We can agree to disagree.

Cross dresser is a term Stonewall include in their list of lgbtq terms, so I would argue it's not a slur https://www.stonewall.org.uk/list-lgbtq-terms
Fair enough. At a minimum I think there's been a shift in the tone of her tweets that make me concerned she's getting worn down and chinks are appearing in her previously impenetrable armour , chinks that could be exploited so that her many valuable and valid points are dismissed out of hand.

Graham Lenehan has a wealth of valid work on this topic but somewhere along the way he appears to have had a complete breakdown from the non stop twitter arguments and he also resorted to plain old slurs. He's not viewed the same way these days even by the GC side.
Id hate to see JKR dismissed the same way.

But I appreciate it could sound tone policy. I think she's one of the most amazing women in existence so that wasn't my intent.
---
To be honest, you sound a bit patronising with your Daily Mail comments. I read the DM along with many other news sources and we aren't all totally thick like many people make us out to be. And I also don't think that the DM are very TWAW either, I've read many an article on there against this lunacy and in support of JKR. I think often their articles are written in such a way as to highlight to the masses as to what's really going on. I agree they aren't perfect but they are one of the better news agencies out there for the Gender Critical amongst us.
Hilarious. Find where I said daily mail readers were thick. I'll wait.

If you think that's what I said then that's your own hang up. I also read the daily mail but I do so knowing it's racist/mysogynistic/everything else-ist trash that drives engagement by writing mean things.

I said the DM were taking the piss out of the referee, in response to a poster who said that JKR had to respond to DM to clarify the ref was male 🙄

I was being also *sarcastic* when I suggested the DM believe TWAW 🙄

Reactions: 8

I do hear you; however, we women are being gaslit, told to shut up and do what men tell them. That football Manager is CLEARLY a man and I think it's a precipice we don't need to fall into - if we accept that he is a woman or who cares then really we're just lying down and letting Men tell us their perverted reality.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I think it’s a good compromise having prizes for male, female and ‘trans’. That way, people who don’t want to compete in the category that aligns with their sex can compete in the trans category. At least it puts a stop to elite men competing with women, even if there are only a few people entering in the third category.
I think my concern over it was more the comments saying how the fact the TIM finished so far down the rankings showed they had no advantage over women and therefore a separate category wasn't needed. That and winning something in a field of 1 isn't really winning anything, I'd be embarrassed whereas they had people congratulating them on the fantastic achievement of winning rather than simply completing like almost everybody else. The trophy is a massive wooden thing with first place on it.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Fair enough. At a minimum I think there's been a shift in the tone of her tweets that make me concerned she's getting worn down and chinks are appearing in her previously impenetrable armour , chinks that could be exploited so that her many valuable and valid points are dismissed out of hand.

Graham Lenehan has a wealth of valid work on this topic but somewhere along the way he appears to have had a complete breakdown from the non stop twitter arguments and he also resorted to plain old slurs. He's not viewed the same way these days even by the GC side.
Id hate to see JKR dismissed the same way.

But I appreciate it could sound tone policy. I think she's one of the most amazing women in existence so that wasn't my intent.
---

Hilarious. Find where I said daily mail readers were thick. I'll wait.

If you think that's what I said then that's your own hang up. I also read the daily mail but I do so knowing it's racist/mysogynistic/everything else-ist trash that drives engagement by writing mean things.

I said the DM were taking the piss out of the referee, in response to a poster who said that JKR had to respond to DM to clarify the ref was male 🙄

I was being also *sarcastic* when I suggested the DM believe TWAW 🙄
That's not the way your post comes across, to me you sound patronising. We don't have to agree and I don't have any hang ups thanks.
---
I think we have mentioned this young man on here before.
---
I think we have mentioned this young man on here before.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Debbie is a he, not a she. Debbie created the school guidance that says boys should be allowed in girls spaces if they identify as girls. Debbie uses women’s toilets.

Thinking that manipulative men like Debbie are reasonable is how we ended up in this mess in the first place.

Also Stonewall is clear that cross dressers are under the trans umbrella

This is also from Debbie. When was the school guidance she wrote issued ?

Like I said I find Debbies position reasonable. If she knows she's not female and believes in single sex spaces I don't find her a threat.

But again I'm happy to be proven wrong with anything more up to date than this where she advocates for males in female spaces ?

Reactions: 1
Anyone following Alison Bailey’s case, her appeal against Stonewall is due to be heard this week. She sets out the history in the tweet below:

• Heart
Reactions: 21
This is also from Debbie. When was the school guidance she wrote issued ?

Like I said I find Debbies position reasonable. If she knows she's not female and believes in single sex spaces I don't find her a threat.

But again I'm happy to be proven wrong with anything more up to date than this where she advocates for males in female spaces ?
You are still calling him 'her' and 'she.'

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.