Gender Discussion #64

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
However the organisers should try to remember it's a family programme, so endorsing these ideologies (or performers dancing in thongs or suggestively) is not for kids - nor my adult eyes
There were a number of performances last night that were far from family friendly. Practically every other act had their arse out.

We’re certainly a long way from Bucks Fizz’s ‘skirts off’ routine being thought ‘a bit racy’.

Surely they’ll have to introduce some guidelines for next year, otherwise if the ante is continually upped it’ll end up as pure filth with a few songs in the background.

Reactions: 25
It's just another way of normalising sex acts and nudity to the masses (and children)

• Sick
Reactions: 34
Remember the public vote started the year Iceland appeared in S&M gear. The UK gave them douze points because of course we did 🙄 and it's all been downhill from there.

Reactions: 13
There was also a furry in the crowd!! A man dressed up as a fox with an Israeli flag stuck to his bare chest crying. Was weird as duck.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Eurovision is so try hard it's a real turn off these days. I used to like Terry Wogan's dry remarks based on a country's Eurotrash-style entry or someone taking themselves too seriously but now it's CRAZY and political. Everyone involved needs to calm down.

Reactions: 27
I watched some of it, but RTD has been given such a big budget, he’s going all out to completely ruin it. What’s with the big singing and dancing routine at the end? Feels like a completely different show to what it used to be. And yes, the ‘they/them’ pronouns tipped in right at the beginning :rolleyes:
The Metro’s take on the Dr Who re-boot

ETA although that article is mostly a load of balls, it does make one salient point:
“The upcoming season only features one episode from female screenwriters and none from writers of colour. There is also yet to be a modern-era showrunner who isn’t a white man.” So RTD is just perpetuating the status quo then, for all his guff. What a surprise…
That article is very biased. Dr Who started in the 1960s and the population of Britain was well over 90% white in those days. The world was also more sexist at that time so of course Dr Who was a white male character for years.

I don't care what colour the Dr is because it's unimportant and although I didn't like Jodie at all there's no reason why a (better) female actor couldnt play the part effectively.

The reason why people are critical is not because they are racist, sexist and homophobic, its because it feels like the BBC are lecturing us all. Audiences don't like being told what to think. A good drama might alter your point of view on something because your eyes are opened to another perspective but 'show not tell'.

Dr Who is about an alien so it can be as diverse as it likes due to the fantasy element.
A lot of people don't like being lied to in dramas though particularly if they feature historical characters. For example its not realistic for Henry VIII to suddenly be portrayed by a black actor because we know he was an ugly ginger bloke. Pretending otherwise is misleading the audience and minimising past oppression IMO.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Yes it's been proven that babies know their mothers. Separating a mother and child should be an absolute last resort. It seems everyone thinks they have a right to a child but where's the child's rights. No child would choose anyone over their mother. I was forcibly removed from my mother at birth as she was unmarried (1960s) and that separation has affected me every day of my life. It's against every primal instinct. We know the effects. The research has been done but still it continues. It is so upsetting.
After I had my oldest I was taken away to be stitched up and my husband said she screamed the whole time. He simply couldn't comfort her because she needed me.
Ofc I had to be stitched back up, there was no way around it. But she for sure needed me

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I enjoyed Eurovision because I always view it from the perspective that it's a bit of nonsense. Croatia's song in my view was classic Eurovision fodder. I hate to admit I quite enjoyed Bambi Thug & so did everyone else I was watching with, but it's our type of music. Everyone was referring to her as a she, was she born female do we know? If she was then she's not pulling off the non-binary thing. Neither is Nemo, everyone could see he was a bloke in a skirt. I hate to admit it but I also thought his song & performance was good & based on that & not the flag waving he was a worthy winner.
Olly was tit, his performance was poor & the over sexual.

Reactions: 13
I enjoyed Eurovision because I always view it from the perspective that it's a bit of nonsense. Croatia's song in my view was classic Eurovision fodder. I hate to admit I quite enjoyed Bambi Thug & so did everyone else I was watching with, but it's our type of music. Everyone was referring to her as a she, was she born female do we know? If she was then she's not pulling off the non-binary thing. Neither is Nemo, everyone could see he was a bloke in a skirt. I hate to admit it but I also thought his song & performance was good & based on that & not the flag waving he was a worthy winner.
Olly was tit, his performance was poor & the over sexual.
Bambi is a biological woman.

Reactions: 11
Apparently Nemo is now complaining about Eurovision because he had to sneak his NB flag in they said no to him flying it. You chose to compete mate you could have withdrawn. I wonder why he chose Nemo I know he was a fish but Nemo was a boy?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
The last time I watched the whole thing was the year Lordi won 😂 My Nan loved Eurovision only for Terry Wogans sassy comments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Apparently Nemo is now complaining about Eurovision because he had to sneak his NB flag in they said no to him flying it. You chose to compete mate you could have withdrawn. I wonder why he chose Nemo I know he was a fish but Nemo was a boy?
Ah, the usual ‘But why do the rules have to apply to meeeeeeee?????? Why can’t everyone see how special I am????!!’ tantrum 🙄

Reactions: 26
It's Nemo's own fault for adopting the name "Nemo". Anybody who has been forced to sit through a classic lesson can tell you that "nemo" means "nobody", and was the way clever Odysseus tricked Polyphemus* the Cyclops. Describe yourself as nobody and we'll all agree with you and just ignore you, mate.

*No - I have no idea what "Polyphemus" means. I must have fallen asleep that day.

EDIT: spelling

EDIT AGAIN: to say I've been thinking about it, and I think it must mean "many phemuses" **

**No - I don't know what a "phemus" is

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I said to my husband that although the song was crap, the performance was crap, the staging was crap and the votes reflected this, I was impressed that Olly conducted himself well on live TV in the middle of what must have been a terrible day at the office for him. And then I realised that the bar I set for male behaviour is in hell.

In related news, well done Andy Murray for this tweet.
Screenshot_20240512_140543_X.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.