Gender Discussion #46

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why the hell does Pride need a whole month anyway? A week is more than enough, even that's being generous!
Honestly a day, or at a push a weekend, for each city’s individual festival is quite enough (and I’m gay!)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Not sure if it’s been posted before but this is alarming I need to find out more on DBS checks when name and gender has been changed on birth certificate

There has been prosecutions of sex offenders failing to notify calls to close this legal loophole

View attachment 2239085
This is quite quite scary. Obviously if someone is filling out a DBS form correctly, and/or living strictly according to the law, then there should be no problem because people are going to include all their previous names and name changes.

But if people dont follow this ......Then it is a loophole.

I would imagine it also links in to situations apart from filling in a DBS form, so for instance if someone on the sex offenders register, changes their name, and becomes someone else, could they then rent a flat next door to a school? And no one would be aware, because its to all extents and purposes a different person!!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Not sure if it’s been posted before but this is alarming I need to find out more on DBS checks when name and gender has been changed on birth certificate

There has been prosecutions of sex offenders failing to notify calls to close this legal loophole

View attachment 2239085
The naivety is quite breathtaking. Who would have thought that someone with a criminal conviction would lie to evade future detection?

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Agree! We suddenly have all the corporates jumping on it and flashing the 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈😩
You should join us on the LGB thread sometime!

But my view is that I don't mind it being a month. We have plenty of other months (eg Black History Month) and I find a lot of organisations space out what they do throughout the month anyway. I never quite understand when people say "but [insert cause here] only gets a day!" when surely the answer is to lobby for that event to get longer, rather than try to cut down Pride month.

I agree a lot of big corporations do virtue signal, though. Thankfully my employer has enlisted actual lesbian/gay colleagues for the last few years to do the Pride activities, so it doesn't feel like virtue signalling.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It’s too much now, a full month of pride. But in saying that, I’ve seen a lot less virtue signalling this year, in fact I’m shocked my work isn’t going all out but there’s been nothing. There’s still time though, June’s not over yet. Listen I would take to the streets and protest for gay rights if they were not equal (I did for equal marriage and tried to convince older family members who were against it) so I don’t want this to come across as being anti gay in any way. It’s just far too much to see flags etc all over the place and constant articles about LGBT issues. Also it feels weird celebrating someone’s sexuality. Like well done you on being attracted to someone of the same sex, woo hoo high five 🤪 It just makes me roll my eyes. Women get one day and hardly anyone bothers with it but I also wouldn’t want a month of it because a month is too long for anything imo. I would be worried people would start to roll their eyes at the mention of women’s rights and it would have an opposite effect.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I was thinking about the length of pride back around Paddy’s Day. Obviously not exactly comparable but when you look at the differences. It was a weekend. The parades were on Friday and then there were a few history things and events for families over the weekend. Lots of pubs trying to get the crowds in. And that was it. Few flags and balloons in some shops but mostly nothing.
Fast forward 3 months and look at everything now. I was walking by the tiniest pet shop last week and the windows were taken up by two huge everything but gay pride flags.
Why the pet shop? Should I have been feeling on edge going to buy my dog food? But now I don’t have to because of a flag?
I mean, if we want to talk about inclusion, being the tiny shop that it is, I doubt it’s wheelchair or mobility scooter accessible. You can barely walk down the fecking aisles as is.
But of course we’re never talking about real inclusion. Flags are what matter.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I was in a cafe bar yesterday and they had a low-key traditional pride flag hanging behind the bar and it reminded me of 30 years ago before the GI movement took over. Lovely atmosphere. This time last year, they had the progress flag and all manor of other gender flags scattered about the place with staff wearing pronoun bandages. On my high st, the only shop that’s gone to town with the progress flag this year is Oxfam.
duck oxfam , now . They get NOTHING from us.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.