Gender Discussion #47

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Queensland has just voted to allow self ID.
Why the hell is this type of issue not put to a general vote? Politicians listen to the gobby activists and echo chamber that is social media and think it’s what the majority want but I am convinced if the people voted it would be thrown out.

Reactions: 29
Why the hell is this type of issue not put to a general vote? Politicians listen to the gobby activists and echo chamber that is social media and think it’s what the majority want but I am convinced if the people voted it would be thrown out.
That's exactly why, they know the public would never go for it. Just like in Scotland the SNP constantly bang on about "the will of the Scottish people" when they're picking a fight with the UK Govt, yet re GRR it was all "we know best"

Reactions: 21
I feel quite aghast to see politicians making these decisions. What the hell do they know?

Reactions: 12
It’s too much now, a full month of pride. But in saying that, I’ve seen a lot less virtue signalling this year, in fact I’m shocked my work isn’t going all out but there’s been nothing. There’s still time though, June’s not over yet. Listen I would take to the streets and protest for gay rights if they were not equal (I did for equal marriage and tried to convince older family members who were against it) so I don’t want this to come across as being anti gay in any way. It’s just far too much to see flags etc all over the place and constant articles about LGBT issues. Also it feels weird celebrating someone’s sexuality. Like well done you on being attracted to someone of the same sex, woo hoo high five 🤪 It just makes me roll my eyes. Women get one day and hardly anyone bothers with it but I also wouldn’t want a month of it because a month is too long for anything imo. I would be worried people would start to roll their eyes at the mention of women’s rights and it would have an opposite effect.
I just wanted to pick up on this post from the end of the previous thread.

I do understand that it appears a bit of overkill to a lot of people (including those who are LGB) but to some people it's a comfort. Even though things are a lot better than they were, sadly a lot of people do still suffer from homophobia - either directly, or indirectly. The latter is particularly true for people who may be struggling with their sexuality and hear things around them that make them not want to come out.

I agree sometimes there are shops that are unlikely to need to fly the Pride flag, but for me, when I see it - especially in bars - I (and I know plenty of others) see it and think it's nice to be welcomed, or know that you wouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable if you were there with a same sex partner. It's just a small thing that makes you feel a bit less on edge or feel a bit happier about a place.

In my experience these days homophobia is more subtle, which is why I think some people think it's mostly over. Yes you rarely hear blatant discrimination, but I'm not out to everyone and no one has ever 'suspected' I'm gay (probably not the right word) until I've told them - so I'm sometimes in cloak mode and hear unguarded comments around me because people assume I'm straight. It's usually banal things like two men winding each other up about being gay - when they know darn fine that neither is. A small thing to some, but to others a subtle way of making gay people feel 'less than', because in that example it's seen as something to mock.

Sorry this is a bit longwinded but I do still think Pride has a function for people who feel less that comfortable about their sexuality as a "if you're a gay couple you're welcome here and we're on your side" kind of message. I think that can be hard for some straight people to understand because they're so used to being accepted for their sexuality and so many of them accept gay people that it seems unfathomable that gay people aren't always made to feel welcome.

Just my perspective anyway! :)

• Heart
Reactions: 21

I do understand that it appears a bit of overkill to a lot of people (including those who are LGB) but to some people it's a comfort. Even though things are a lot better than they were, sadly a lot of people do still suffer from homophobia - either directly, or indirectly. The latter is particularly true for people who may be struggling with their sexuality and hear things around them that make them not want to come out.

I agree sometimes there are shops that are unlikely to need to fly the Pride flag, but for me, when I see it - especially in bars - I (and I know plenty of others) see it and think it's nice to be welcomed, or know that you wouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable if you were there with a same sex partner. It's just a small thing that makes you feel a bit less on edge or feel a bit happier about a place.

In my experience these days homophobia is more subtle, which is why I think some people think it's mostly over. Yes you rarely hear blatant discrimination, but I'm not out to everyone and no one has ever 'suspected' I'm gay (probably not the right word) until I've told them - so I'm sometimes in cloak mode and hear unguarded comments around me because people assume I'm straight. It's usually banal things like two men winding each other up about being gay - when they know darn fine that neither is. A small thing to some, but to others a subtle way of making gay people feel 'less than', because in that example it's seen as something to mock.

Sorry this is a bit longwinded but I do still think Pride has a function for people who feel less that comfortable about their sexuality as a "if you're a gay couple you're welcome here and we're on your side" kind of message. I think that can be hard for some straight people to understand because they're so used to being accepted for their sexuality and so many of them accept gay people that it seems unfathomable that gay people aren't always made to feel welcome.

But I just see it as meaningless marketing these days. Leaving aside the trans people jumping on the bandwagon (when they have nothing in common with LGB), companies have decided that going all out on Pride is a good marketing tool as it signals they are caring.
Seeing a pride flag in a chain pub is meaningless in my eyes, it's just been sent down from head office with an instruction on where to stick it.

I know it's been posted before but this really is a good video where they explain how LGB have nothing to do with T and even L and G have little in common.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
But I just see it as meaningless marketing these days. Leaving aside the trans people jumping on the bandwagon (when they have nothing in common with LGB), companies have decided that going all out on Pride is a good marketing tool as it signals they are caring.
Seeing a pride flag in a chain pub is meaningless in my eyes, it's just been sent down from head office with an instruction on where to stick it.

I know it's been posted before but this really is a good video where they explain how LGB have nothing to do with T and even L and G have little in common.
I think it's marketing in some circumstances - like you say, chain stores.

But there are still plenty of aspects where that's not the case - especially smaller hospitality companies, or those (like my employer) who aren't customer facing. Most of our Pride ventures are internal. We've got an LGBT network which is run by gay/bi employees and - while there are some straight people on it (all are welcome) - it's helped some who had issues with their sexuality (often at home) and they appreciated people to talk to, outside their family/friends circle, knowing they wouldn't be judged. Pride month is an opportunity to raise awareness of that group - we've had some new people join already!

So I accept it's meaningless to some people in some circumstances, but there's a lot of good it does as well, and I think it's important to highlight those positive aspects when discussing it. To use a cliched phrase: I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Reactions: 10
You should join us on the LGB thread sometime!

But my view is that I don't mind it being a month. We have plenty of other months (eg Black History Month) and I find a lot of organisations space out what they do throughout the month anyway. I never quite understand when people say "but [insert cause here] only gets a day!" when surely the answer is to lobby for that event to get longer, rather than try to cut down Pride month.

I agree a lot of big corporations do virtue signal, though. Thankfully my employer has enlisted actual lesbian/gay colleagues for the last few years to do the Pride activities, so it doesn't feel like virtue signalling.
Quoting this from the last thread cos I was talking with my partner about this. Genuine question: has anyone ever noticed their workplace, or any corporation really, changing their social media icons or branding for any of the other awareness months? I've received a couple of emails about Black History Month from various employers over the years but even as a bi woman I feel like I'm getting disproportionately bashed around the head with Pride Month stuff - posters and flags in windows, rainbow icons everywhere, being acknowledged in company-wide emails.

Reactions: 14
Quoting this from the last thread cos I was talking with my partner about this. Genuine question: has anyone ever noticed their workplace, or any corporation really, changing their social media icons or branding for any of the other awareness months? I've received a couple of emails about Black History Month from various employers over the years but even as a bi woman I feel like I'm getting disproportionately bashed around the head with Pride Month stuff - posters and flags in windows, rainbow icons everywhere, being acknowledged in company-wide emails.
We had a Black History Month version of our logo at work - and I noticed a lot of the bigger companies did on their websites (eg Boots, Sainsburys).

A few examples:

I honestly don't think this year is any different to previous years when it comes to Pride and I think I'd notice if had increased because the Pride flag would stick out more to me more than most. Other than a few shops and bars having the flag I honestly haven't noticed anything else. But then I live in quite a rural area; I expect you see more in cities.

Reactions: 1
I understand why LGB people want Pride.

I think the main reason why others are getting fed up with it is because of the corporate virtue signalling. My bank has rainbows all over it at the moment. No bank ever has to know if their customers are gay or straight. Of course they should be inclusive for everyone but I don't remember a bank ever asking me about my sexual preferences because it's totally irrelevant!

The other reason people are getting fed up with it is because of the hijacking by all the militant trans rights activists and fetish wearers. It's a shame that LGB people are being marginalised at their own event.

Reactions: 38
I live in a village in rural Somerset, about a mile or so from Glastonbury. There are those massive great big new-style flags erected on all the lampposts on both sides of the High Street - they do seem incongruously large compared to any other banners they put up and the parish council have never done it before to my knowledge.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The Johns Hopkins ‘non-man’ shitshow - has the university offered any comment on it? I’ve been trying to see if they’ve reverse-ferreted in light of the overwhelming condemnation but I can’t find anything.

Even the halfwits in the Green Party backed down when they got pulled up for spouting the same nonsense.

Reactions: 11
I understand why LGB people want Pride.

I think the main reason why others are getting fed up with it is because of the corporate virtue signalling. My bank has rainbows all over it at the moment. No bank ever has to know if their customers are gay or straight. Of course they should be inclusive for everyone but I don't remember a bank ever asking me about my sexual preferences because it's totally irrelevant!

The other reason people are getting fed up with it is because of the hijacking by all the militant trans rights activists and fetish wearers. It's a shame that LGB people are being marginalised at their own event.
On the whole I’m a huge supporter of LGB pride, but I do find it weird how especially hard the banks in particular go with it.
I saw on twitter someone say that in 2003 he tried to take out a mortgage with a bank (think it was natwest) with his civil partner and they demanded an HIV test off of him before they’d approve it. So I dunno why they’re all making out like they’re so supportive now.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 31

I don’t have an issue with establishments flying the traditional pride flag. It’s inclusive and non-confrontational (in my opinion). However, the progress flag, which is far more prevalent than the rainbow flag these days (and is indeed the one corporations adopt and paste all over their websites) is the antithesis of feeling welcoming to a lot of women. It feels hostile and is a constant reminder of the invasion of men into our spaces.

In the last thread you made the point that other causes could lobby for their events to go on longer rather than cut down pride. Well, women spent most of the last century lobbying for equal rights with their male counterparts and safe spaces like refuges and changing rooms. Now all that is being taken away at lightening speed because a bunch of men want to put on a frock and some lippy and call themselves women. These men are secure in their new LGBTQIA +++ identity and are readily incorporated into the umbrella and the progress flag. None of these people lobbied for their own spaces, they want ours; they are taking ours. And when we push back, we are called Nazis and threatened with rape and violence. Because Pride is now also associated with the TQIA +, there is a threatening undercurrent perceived by biological women (not all women, I know, but many of us). I would love for Pride to go back to the way it used to be.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.