Gender Discussion #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People like to compete in the Oppression Olympics, plus so many people seem to be scared of being average, mundane. I embrace being boring, lol, but it seems so many are conditioned to think they have to either be oppressed, quirky, different, neurodiverse etc. It's like you can't just be a boring person from a boring town minding your own business anymore 😂 No, now you have to be All the Genders at once and self diagnose yourself with 20 + disorders. Making a mockery of biology, genuine sexuality, genuine disabilities etc in the process. It comes across so desperate to be honest.

I think the world overshares now. Let's get back to some personal privacy, self-motivation, and reduce the need for external validation outside of friendship and family. Why do we need to perform in our e-signatures and on socials all the time? It's sick.
---

About time!
100%. I would have given anything to have grown up being mundane, able to blend into the background and not be such an open target for all the racism I experienced because it robs you off so much. For me it was my childhood innocence, not being able to enjoy being myself because my parents always reminded me that people would judge/treat others from my own background based on how I behaved/spoke/my level of education etc. I cannot - and never will - understand the desire swathes of people have to compete in the Oppression Olympics. It's not a quirk or some kind of clout to have been born with markers that put you on the back foot and make you feel like you have to beg for your human dignity to be respected. A life of struggle is not a flex or something we should lionise - especially when we think about the tropes of a "strong Black woman" and "resilient Asian women." And this is something I feel always gets missed out in DE&I conversations - I honestly switch off during such meetings at work because they're so shallow, performative and ineffective. I abhor this identity politics, the pointless culture wars that's come to many parts of Europe via the USA and I don't understand how or why it's taken such a hold here, when the overall history of countries like the UK and within Europe are so different to that of the States. I'm sorry for the long post. Your post more or less articulated what I've been feeling for years and it makes me so sad, angry and (if I'm honest) hopeless. I'm happy to see more new people and everyone posting here: it gives me a lot of solace

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I am with you 100%. I do bristle when people start criticising this explosion in adults identifying as neurodivergent/getting assessed late in life because I am one of those statistics 🤣 Getting assessed this month (shitting myself actually, even though I’ve known for YEARS that I’m ND) and I do regularly wonder whether I would have had children if I’d known I was autistic and was going to pass it onto them.

I don’t see it as a badge of honour, it’s been a heavy burden all my life. I only wish I’d known about it 30 years earlier.
This annoys me too, my Mum said the other day about everyone just wants a label and we’re all on the spectrum in one way or another 🙄 she then referred to how she likes to do her washing in a particular way as an example. That’s one of the reasons why we don’t have a close relationship and she doesn’t even know about my struggles. I’m glad more people are being diagnosed and finding some support, it’s not nice to struggle. Hope your assessment goes well and my thinking is, at least if you know and are educated and compassionate, if you do pass to your children you can support them as required instead of trying bring them up in ways which are actually harmful ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This annoys me too, my Mum said the other day about everyone just wants a label and we’re all on the spectrum in one way or another 🙄 she then referred to how she likes to do her washing in a particular way as an example. That’s one of the reasons why we don’t have a close relationship and she doesn’t even know about my struggles. I’m glad more people are being diagnosed and finding some support, it’s not nice to struggle. Hope your assessment goes well and my thinking is, at least if you know and are educated and compassionate, if you do pass to your children you can support them as required instead of trying bring them up in ways which are actually harmful ❤
Parents do find it especially hard to understand it all when they are undiagnosed autistic themselves and see autistic traits as normal. I had some success talking to my mum about it, gradually, over the years. She still doesn’t entirely get it though, although seemed to accept that she might have a few traits herself, as did her Dad before her.

As for kids, that ship has already sailed. Both autistic! I do at least hope I’m equipped to raise them because I understand what it’s like. It’s a difficult road though, and some days I wish they didn’t struggle with so many things.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
There are still a few EU countries where bestiality isn’t illegal - Hungary, Finland and Romania. In Germany it’s legal if the animal is not ‘forced’ believe it or not. Absolutely abhorrent.
Germany has legalised brothels, too. There's been problems with Ukrainian girl refugees being approached with a view to getting them working in them . Imagine the jobcentre sending you to one? No benefits if you refuse the job?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Ive read a few horrifying articles about the reality of German brothels. Young girls being trafficked in from Eastern Europe, women having to have sex with dozens of men a day in order to pay the fees the brothels charge, ‘drive through’ brothels, legalised ‘gang bangs’, BOGOF offers, loyalty cards where you visit 10 girls and the 11th is free - basically everything reduces women to nothing more than a commodity, a product with no humanity. This is in a country that many hold up as a bastion of civilisation and human rights. This is the reality that the people who parrot ‘sex work is work’ don’t want you to think about.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
Ive read a few horrifying articles about the reality of German brothels. Young girls being trafficked in from Eastern Europe, women having to have sex with dozens of men a day in order to pay the fees the brothels charge, ‘drive through’ brothels, legalised ‘gang bangs’, BOGOF offers, loyalty cards where you visit 10 girls and the 11th is free - basically everything reduces women to nothing more than a commodity, a product with no humanity. This is in a country that many hold up as a bastion of civilisation and human rights. This is the reality that the people who parrot ‘sex work is work’ don’t want you to think about.
This is harrowing!! I have a friend who's part of the 'sex work is work' gang and thinks it's to do with Feminism, but I don't think any woman enters prostitution willingly or because it's a "career with prospects." It takes advantage of extremely vulnerable women and girls who need support, help and safety; not exposure to individuals who can be very dangerous and even violent. I have a couple of books about this by Laurie Penny (on my to be read list, but I may bring them forward now)

ETA: I've just seen I've joined the upper echelons of Tattle as a VIP with this post 🥳 (not so bad for a Monday lol)

• Heart
Reactions: 28
This is harrowing!! I have a friend who's part of the 'sex work is work' gang and thinks it's to do with Feminism, but I don't think any woman enters prostitution willingly or because it's a "career with prospects." It takes advantage of extremely vulnerable women and girls who need support, help and safety; not exposure to individuals who can be very dangerous and even violent. I have a couple of books about this by Laurie Penny (on my to be read list, but I may bring them forward now)

ETA: I've just seen I've joined the upper echelons of Tattle as a VIP with this post 🥳 (not so bad for a Monday lol)
Congrats! 😃

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I really do wonder why the "sex work is work" crowd don't want to hear these arguments.

Is it because they know, deep down, that men don't give a tit and are more than content to reduce women down to a hole? Do they not believe these stories? Do they think that they are an exception to the rule because they sit behind a laptop and do webcam work? Do they not want to accept the reality because it's too bleeping depressing?

Once you see sex work for what it is, there is no going back. And I'm saying that as someone who did it. I didn't really give a tit what the men thought, but look at who holds the power in society. It sure as hell aint sex workers. Never will be.

Also came across this article on the BBC earlier. Female workers on Kenyan tea farms are being sexually harassed and abused - because they are women. They simply cannot identify out of being a woman.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
In some respects legalising brothels has made things worse. Because it is legal it gives a signal of tacit approval from on high and commodifies the women even further. You only have to read some of the reviews to see how dehumanising and completely degrading it is.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
There are still a few EU countries where bestiality isn’t illegal - Hungary, Finland and Romania. In Germany it’s legal if the animal is not ‘forced’ believe it or not. Absolutely abhorrent.
It brings a whole new spin to the term ‘grooming’
How long before bestiality is added to the LGBTQIA alphabet soup? It’s a Z as in zoophilia I think. I’m sure I read on Twitter that some loons want to acknowledge it.

• Sick
Reactions: 10
It's the women that get me in this debate. We know a lot of men are vile but SO BLOODY MANY women are supporters of men dressed up as women. They are practically queuing up to throw away our safety, our rights and our place in society.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 31
It’s interesting to see so many SNP politicians, including a leadership contender, furiously backing away from “the bill”.

A change in the tide?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
It brings a whole new spin to the term ‘grooming’
How long before bestiality is added to the LGBTQIA alphabet soup? It’s a Z as in zoophilia I think. I’m sure I read on Twitter that some loons want to acknowledge it.
Jesus...this world becomes more depraved by the day. I was never able to have children and it's something I'm grateful for these days. I feel so sorry for parents and the level of worry for things their children could be exposed to.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
In some respects legalising brothels has made things worse. Because it is legal it gives a signal of tacit approval from on high and commodifies the women even further. You only have to read some of the reviews to see how dehumanising and completely degrading it is.
Hi, I’ve been lurking for a while!
Has anyone watched ‘Good Luck to You, Leo Grande’?
I get that it was all about showing a real middle aged woman with flaws discovering her sexuality but the fact it was with a young male sex worker just gave me the ick! There was so much about sex workers ‘helping people’, like an 82 year old woman or a disabled person. Can you imagine if it was roles reversed and it was a beautiful young woman with a middle aged man? It just seems just as bad (in my opinion)

Reactions: 8
It’s interesting to see so many SNP politicians, including a leadership contender, furiously backing away from “the bill”.

A change in the tide?
I'm not that optimistic, Ash Regan resigned her ministerial post over the issue so was clear from the outset. Kate Forbes was on Mat Leave when the bill went through, but would clearly have opposed it.

Humza Yousef is just continuity Sturgeon, so if he gets in he will pursue the bill and not much else.

I worry that Kate Forbes and Ash Regan will split the vote of the sensible and Humza gets in. He's been rubbish in a series of ministerial posts, hope Kate and Ash can cut a deal so that it is only 2 candidates.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.