Gender Discussion #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But what do rainbow crossings do other than annoy people? Scarlett I’m sorry you feel let down by stonewall and your community. I found your comments interesting because I’m straight and I have gay friends and even if I didn’t I would support gay rights and will not let a homophonic comment go unchecked (and sadly there is still so much homophobia about so even just last week I had to pull my brother up for an ignorant comment he made about 2 gay teenagers he saw holding hands ffs). But I’m getting so sick of rainbows and pride 🙈to me it’s doing nothing for the cause of unity and equality. It’s pushing us further apart. It’s ‘othering’ gay people even more. It doesn’t make me judge gay people for it, I actually put the blame firmly with corporations and media execs who are ticking diversity boxes for the sake of it. We are supppsed to ‘celebrate’ people for being gay, but why? A close friend of mine who is a lesbian agrees and we have a running joke where she demands a rainbow fanfare on a night out as she is the only gay one in our group. To be showered in glitter 😁 Gay people just want to live their lives like everyone else! I don’t know exactly where I’m going with this but the constant lgbt messages we as a society as subjected to is OTT imo and possibly doing more harm than good.
Exactly.
Someone made a fake wiki page about the Pride calendar for 2023, it was basically every day of the year. Ironically it’s not that far from the truth! We have Pride month now. Why a month? You’re right it’s a lot about corporate virtue signals and consumerism.
There is no Disabilities month, or Racism month. No police car drives round with disability colours all over them, even the trains to and from the Glasgow action on Sunday were LGBTQIAA colours! This is not appropriate! It’s special treatment and it IS causing resentment. Deservedly so.
Trans Day of Remembrance! Not a single trans person died in the UK in the last two years yet Surrey Police stood by a trans flag at their local cenotaph for a minute’s silence on the day. Wtf? They never do anything like that for old people or disabled people or people with autism, or gay people! It’s all about the trans and it’s broken the gay movement. Those of us that speak up are ostracised. That’s why we formed LGB Alliance.
I shall stop and calm down now as I could go on and on!

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Although there’s still rampant homophobia in our society I’m always heartened listening to my teenage niece and nephew who don’t think twice about the gay kids in their high school. In the 90s I thought times were pretty progressive mainly because I didn’t see anything wrong with being gay but looking back, it was a terrible time to be gay and I had the luxury of thinking everything was cool because it wasn’t me who was in the closet or being bullied and abused. But my eyes are open now and I have spoken to old school friends who were gay but not out and had a really miserable time. And I had no idea. So it’s amazing to hear young ones having moved on so much from that (only basing this on my niece and nephew here in central Scotland so it may be different elsewhere but I hope not!!).

I’ve said before I’ve got a ten year old boy and never just assume he will be straight. I asked him if he was going to send a valentines card to any boys or girls at school and he just laughed and said I’m too young for that 🤪 but I want him to know either way is ok and not a big deal if he is gay. I’m hopeful for the next generation and on reflection maybe the rainbows have helped with that? I dunno, it’s something to think about.

Reactions: 14
And heaven forbid we ever have a day of remembrance for the 2.5 women murdered every week by men in the UK. Imagine that? police standing for a minute’s silence to remember the dead women.
Irony is ,..A good few of them would be under suspicion for hurting women themselves.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 58
All the comments about age. I know young people are all insufferable know it alls, and we are all the same - but this lot are particularly obtuse.
Perhaps it's because I'm now in the older age group that I notice it more, but why are young people so ageist these days? I know ageism has always existed and young people don't like being 'lectured' by older people but there's not even a veneer of politeness now if anyone voices their experience on any subject.

Young people seem to think that ordinary people like myself who've had to work all their lives are somehow much more privileged than them and are to blame for every ill in the world. Really? Most of us have just been busy trying to keep a roof over our heads and provide for our children.

The other day at work I was in a meeting and it was all centred around young people know best. One woman said that her teenager would think the company website was boring because it contained too much facts and text. She proudly said how her son had been educated by watching Tiktok videos and how he was now able to inform her all about trans rights and pronouns as if this was a good thing!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Hate to do it but, visually impaired lesbian here. When I weigh up my need to feel ‘seen’ and my need for a safe place to cross the road, it’s a no brainier,

But I’m sure if people want to feel like a rainbow road is actually doing something, I’m only a tiny minority 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 33
There is a a Diva Magazine survey about sexuality and gender and all things gay, lesbian and "non binary" to celebrate Lesbian Awareness Week, and some of the questions are infuriating. I saved my despair for the 'anything else you'd like to say?' box at the end.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Wales has learned nothing from the last 2 weeks. Who are they poling to think this is a good idea LGBTQ: Plan to make it easier to change gender in Wales - BBC News

And in other news heterosexual couple are having a baby Kerala: The transgender couple whose pregnancy photos went viral - BBC News
Very little infuriates me more in this shitshow than someone claiming they are Trans, having a baby. How bleeping dysphoric can you be if you are willing to carry a baby, it's literally what women are designed for

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
On horses and rainbow crossings (I've seen it happen in real life too, the horses were NOT happy)

It doesn’t actually look anything like a zebra crossing. I wouldn’t have known to cross there, I’d have just thought it was stripes on the road. They’re going to wrong way to be a zebra crossing.

Reactions: 18
Endless debate? A handful of posts with valid concerns about safety for people that are genuinely vulnerable (people with vision impairment, elderly, learning disabled) and need clear road markings. Some posters very reasonable first hand accounts of their vision problems were over the top were they? Some TRA tactics there ✌
Whilst it’s not a pressing issue (until someone gets knocked over on one or because they didn’t know where the safest place to cross was) it correlates with women’s ignored concerns about their safety in single sex spaces. Rainbow crossings aren’t as safe as they should be, mixed changing rooms aren’t as safe as they should be, mixed toilets aren’t as safe as they should be.
I’m sure there would have been no debate if accusations of homophobia hadn’t been thrown around anyways.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Soon we won't be able to have any new stories, books, plays, films because everything is offensive 🙄
The absolutely brilliant Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche addresses this in her lecture on freedom of speech and expression for writers for the Reith Lectures back in December.
It’s worth a listen and makes the point that if creatives can no longer create what they want without fear of censure, they start self censoring, then everyone loses. Art becomes pointless.
Before we know it we are living in a totalitarian state.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
There is a a Diva Magazine survey about sexuality and gender and all things gay, lesbian and "non binary" to celebrate Lesbian Awareness Week, and some of the questions are infuriating. I saved my despair for the 'anything else you'd like to say?' box at the end.
I had a look at this but it’s completely impossible to answer because it’s all about “gender identity.” I don’t have a “gender identity,” I have a sex, and there are various stereotypes and social sanctions placed upon me because of my sex, which women have been fighting against for hundreds of years. I am absolutely sick fed up of this notion that we get to identify out of it.

Another familicide this week, another woman killed by her husband and a little girl killed by her own dad, another crime that’s committed almost exclusively by men. It horrifies me that TRAs and politicians still use the ‘not all men’ strapline or spout lies about trans being the most at risk in society - are they bleeping blind? Are we just ignoring crimes against women now? Why would you let any man further infiltrate women’s spaces when we’re already not even safe in our own homes?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31
Let's call them unicorn crossings!🤣
This isn't the lbg thread but as the conversation has started - i see the colourful crossings and I don't live in the city. And they aren't temporary, they have been permanently there for a few years. I also go to supermarkets and the self scan handsets are "prided".
Do they make homophobics less homophobic? No.

Reactions: 18
Endless debate? A handful of posts with valid concerns about safety for people that are genuinely vulnerable (people with vision impairment, elderly, learning disabled) and need clear road markings. Some posters very reasonable first hand accounts of their vision problems were over the top were they? Some TRA tactics there ✌
Whilst it’s not a pressing issue (until someone gets knocked over on one or because they didn’t know where the safest place to cross was) it correlates with women’s ignored concerns about their safety in single sex spaces. Rainbow crossings aren’t as safe as they should be, mixed changing rooms aren’t as safe as they should be, mixed toilets aren’t as safe as they should be.
I’m sure there would have been no debate if accusations of homophobia hadn’t been thrown around anyways.
It's not the question that I took issue with, it's 3 pages of posts between posters who clearly aren't going to convince the other side , clogging up a thread that's meant to be about gender issues.

There is literally no correlation to single sex spaces, that's a massive reach.

Rainbow crossings and issues for visually impaired people I wouldn't even say is a gender issue. Maybe those who feel passionately about that 1 issue could start a thread on it?

And accusing me of "using TRA tactics"?! I'll put that one down the full moon.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.