Gender Discussion #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing is, if we're being harsh (which I am), most overtly sexualised videos are by attractive artists who can carry off the look - Christina, Britney etc. That doesn't make it any more acceptable but I don't understand why Sam Smith has done this? He does have a nice voice, he doesn't need all this show and pomp and he looks absolutely bleeping terrible, it's all a complete mess. If he thinks he's showing what it's like to non-binary - he's way off the mark. He honestly deserves the tit ripped out of him, the actual state.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
At least with the the usual sexualused videos they're appealing to someone, even if it is just lowest common denominator men.

That's appealing to nobody. The gay men I know have a lower opinion of it than everyone in this thread. He just looks like a try-hard tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
IMO there is a difference between raunchy videos and looking like you are being jizzed on

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
The thing is, if we're being harsh (which I am), most overtly sexualised videos are by attractive artists who can carry off the look - Christina, Britney etc. That doesn't make it any more acceptable but I don't understand why Sam Smith has done this? He does have a nice voice, he doesn't need all this show and pomp and he looks absolutely bleeping terrible, it's all a complete mess. If he thinks he's showing what it's like to non-binary - he's way off the mark. He honestly deserves the tit ripped out of him, the actual state.
It’s all this ‘pushing the boundaries’ lifestyle he’s caught up in now. Like, the more hideous you can look, the better. There’s an aggression to it aswell, like with the scary and immensely creepy Jeffrey Marsh dude. A sort of threatening ‘I know I’m totally minging but you WILL find me attractive, bigot’ vibezzz

• Heart
Reactions: 20
The disingenuous comparisons between Sam Smith’s video and some female artists are laughable. I saw one man on Twitter post the golden shower shot of Sam next to a pic of Miley Cyrus literally just lying down in a black bra and knickers, ranting that no one is up in arms about Miley and everyone is just picking on poor Sam. It’s not even remotely the same and they know it.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I remember the Madonna videos and although sexually provocative, I can’t remember actual sex acts being simulated. Can’t comment on her book but was always under the impression it was full of pictures of her boobs 🤷🏻‍♀️ Anyway, to conclude Ensay, yes we all find Sam Smith repulsive in here and arguing whether we are fairly judging his latest video is neither here nor there. It’s tattle, not a court of law.
You can find a pdf copy of Madonna’s book online and after the anniversary I sought it out as you never see it reproduced and I’m a grown up now. It’s not just pics of her boobs, let’s just say, but probably tame compared to what is put out today. I would slightly clutch my pearls if I saw it at an art gallery. In 1990 she was also nearly stopped from performing because of her simulating masturbation on stage during Like a virgin. Her shows were always more extreme than the vids. She did walk so Cardi could WAP.

Reactions: 9
I remember the Madonna videos and although sexually provocative, I can’t remember actual sex acts being simulated. Can’t comment on her book but was always under the impression it was full of pictures of her boobs 🤷🏻‍♀️ Anyway, to conclude Ensay, yes we all find Sam Smith repulsive in here and arguing whether we are fairly judging his latest video is neither here nor there. It’s tattle, not a court of law.
I can remember that - she's also done the whole writhing on the floor with multiple semi naked partners thing, too. Not really my thing, but I've probably only seen some of her videos.

Also, I didn't suggest Tattle was anything like a court of law. I gave my viewpoint, others gave theirs and the world keeps spinning. It's not that serious, which I think we can both agree on.

Reactions: 2
The thing is, if we're being harsh (which I am), most overtly sexualised videos are by attractive artists who can carry off the look - Christina, Britney etc. That doesn't make it any more acceptable but I don't understand why Sam Smith has done this?
Harsh but true. If an artist wants to sell sex, then they need to be conventionally attractive. And Sam isn’t even particularly unattractive - his outfits are.

Sam’s problem is being captured by a cult that seems to think being “femme” = being fuckable. Which is presumably why he’s styled in this grotesque parody of a burlesque outfit. I mean it’s just foul 🤣 Was everyone on set really yaaas queening when he stepped out?

2D1F41C6-950D-4EF8-9F3D-1D60B13DFC86.jpeg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
You are aware it is representative of a 'golden shower?' - not quite the same theme as a bikini clad woman in Trafalgar square..

ETA: I think Sam Smith is a prick. A completely misogynistic, self absorbed, twit. I don't don't like his music and I don't like him. 100% gives me the ick. He is a grubby little man whom one day I wouldn't be surprised if there maybe a few police reports about him (ala Boy George?/George Michael?)
Fully aware. I’m old, but I’m not that old. Maybe I’m so old I’ve seen so much tit that lots of it just washes over me.
Look, I think that Sam Smith is pretty bloody awful and he is clearly going out of his way to be what he thinks is provocative.
I do get it. He’s a twit.
However. There is a bit of me that wonders whether the “outrage” at his video would be the same if he was a conventionally attractive, not overweight man or a woman. Maybe it would. I don’t know. But I suspect the “journalists” on the DM would be creaming their pants and screeching about empowerment if a Kardashian put out a similar video. ( Well, most of the Kardashians. Not Rob obviously)
Either way, I’m giving the attention seeking wanker far too much thought.

Reactions: 7
Harsh but true. If an artist wants to sell sex, then they need to be conventionally attractive. And Sam isn’t even particularly unattractive - his outfits are.

Sam’s problem is being captured by a cult that seems to think being “femme” = being fuckable. Which is presumably why he’s styled in this grotesque parody of a burlesque outfit. I mean it’s just foul 🤣 Was everyone on set really yaaas queening when he stepped out?

View attachment 1921923
Gemma Collins 😃😃

• Haha
Reactions: 3

View attachment 1921923
bleeping hell 😂.

People can say what they like about Madonna, it was deliberately provocative but she did have an eye for the aesthetic and the stuff she did was iconic. This is just bleeping cringe.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Sam Smith isn't wearing anything more outrageous than Andy Bell of Erasure - the difference is that Andy mainly keeps it for the live shows and doesn't put it out there in music videos I suppose.

Random fact of the day, one of the male models in Madonna's Sex book was Vanilla Ice, who she was dating at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
What about the people already in the female prison estate? Will this be applied retroactively I wonder?
You'd hope that this is a house of cards and all male sex offenders are removed followed by all men. Women also need reassurance that it won't creep back in when the spotlight fall off the subject. Then they can hopefully move onto getting men out of hospital wards and so on.

Get the foxes out of the henhouse. A fox in a dress is still a predator.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Sam Smith might not be doing anything new (ok apart from the golden showers, I don’t think I’ve seen that in a pop video before…) but with him it’s just grotesque. He’s trying so hard to be sexy when he doesn’t have that kind of charisma, it’s cringy more than a turn on. Who told him he looked good? I know beauty is subjective, but he’s so bleeping unattractive in this video. Who’s telling him this is a good look?

On the other hand… the time period it seems to be set in reminds me a bit of 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade, albeit more glamorous and without kids, so if that was what he was aiming at then he nailed it.

Reactions: 16
The only thing shocking to me about Sam’s video is the ill fitting costume and his moobs and armpit flab hanging out the top. Cringe

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Beth Ditto constantly got told to put it away.

So does Madonna - they just had an exhibition of all the pictures from her SEX book for the 30th anniversary.

So does Cardi, Nikki, Mega, Miley.

the Mail gets into a clutching pearl frenzy about all of those women, why should Sam be exempt? He wants special treatment, again.
Madonna had videos banned. There was uproar over WAP when males in their genre have been being explicitly sexual for decades. Christina A dirty video I can remember the uproars. Miley and wrecking ball. Britney and slave 4 U. Women take a battering for using religious imagery in pop culture. They take batterings for their body size constantly so why the duck should I care about this fella in womanface getting a raw deal when it’s obviously exactly what he’s encouraging to stay relevant.
Sex sells is a tale as old as time isn’t it and women are vilified for it and applauded for it and make money from it. The problem and difference with Sam is he is fetishising and reducing women to sexual objectification when he is not one. He has no lived experience as a woman. He can take off his corset (should do soon before he loses circulation) put on normal clothes and opt out whenever he wants in a way women can’t fully. And quite frankly, he looks absolutely dog shite in women’s underwear. As all men generally would as it’s cut for women’s bodies.
Like I’ve said before, there’s a complex argument around women being overtly sexual, taking power in it, making huge amounts of money from it. Many female pop stars and actors have spoken of the negative effects on their mental health and career for feeling pressured to be overtly sexual, most of them when too young, lots of them unable to shake it off or viewed in any other way once they go down that route. I’m sure in his later years Smith will revert back to mediocre crooner because he can. Men that want to be objectified like women, have the power to step away from it at any point because they’re playing dress up and pretending to have a woman’s body.
I also think it’s hilarious that this crowd think they invented gender nonconformity when you had artists like Annie Lennox, KD Lang, Tracy Chapman, Prince, Boy George who were much better at it imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.