Gender Discussion #34

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am so angry right now. My adult birthed human has asked for their inheritance money early (!) to pay for top surgery (from their very elderly grandparents (in their 90’s).
I’m shaking as I’ve just clicked why they want the money.
im so bleeping pissed off!!
Sorry I’ve clicked like and I can’t change it, stupid fat fingers 🙁

Eta I got it changed, just in case you got an alert for me.

Reactions: 1
They are 27. This has only been a thing(non binary for under 2 years. Before that into fashion, make up etc got in with this lot and has totally changed. If I voice an opinion I’m told to “educate myself “.
Im really not ok, A car, a laptop. THIS?!?! Do I tell the grandparents??
First and foremost it isn’t an inheritance until the grandparents die. Until then it is their money to pay for their needs, comforts and wishes. I would remind your adult child of this in the strongest of terms. Secondly, yes I would tell the grandparents.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I saw this. Outrageous. It's literally a get-out clause. Too lazy to go back and check but i think it was @Phil Anne Throw Pee who said this is where we are headed in response to me saying people will just "identify as innocent" in court.

I honestly have no idea what that council was thinking. As soon as she announced her intentions to take it to court, I knew (well, hoped) it was only going to end one way, and it did.

Oh dear. I'm sadly not surprised that it has only been two years and it has accelerated this much, but also at 27 and assuming they do not have special needs (apologies if offending, I don't know what the correct/'right' way to describe is) they are operating with a fully formed human brain that 16-24 year old's are not. I don't know what to suggest. I really hope it all works out okay. Personally, I would tell the grandparents, even if it's just to buy some more time.
No special needs. It’s like they’ve joined a cult and have been brain washed. They only hang out and mostly work with this lot. It’s so freaky.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
I don’t even know what that means 🫤
I think (?) that fat people are expected to conform to sex stereotypes more than everyone else otherwise dismissed as sloppy, untidy etc when a thin person wouldn't be. But, yeah, when you equate "gender" with someone's look/dress sense/aesthetic does it have a meaning any more?!

Reactions: 8
They are 27. This has only been a thing(non binary for under 2 years. Before that into fashion, make up etc got in with this lot and has totally changed. If I voice an opinion I’m told to “educate myself “.
im assuming that your child is female. being super into being feminine and then suddenly reverting sounds like they felt negatively about being feminine, feels pressured by it etc.,. and sees an "out" with being nonbinary. it sounds like they're a bit lost going from one extreme to the other as well and they should not be making major decisions like this in that frame of mind. this is not hair, like people regret cutting off their hair, never mind parts of their bodies that won't grow back, and it sounds like your child has not been committed to this for very long. if you think this is the case then maybe speak to them about why they feel they want to do this etc. i used to ID as nonbinary as mentioned before so this is all coming from a personal place. i would wager that your child isn't mentally OK and thus shouldnt be making decisions like this.

top surgery is a double masectomy, yes, it's complete removal of the breast. sometimes the nipple will also go (depending on chest size). people that have undergone 'top surgery' often have to get a fake nipple tattooed back on. the function of the breast is usually permanently destroyed. im a bit surprised that your child is looking at having this already, and seemingly without having had a history of being on hormones etc (it seems like this is very sudden) or a documented history of gender dysphoria. because of this, i would also hope that a doctor would be reluctant to do the surgery on your adult child.

it goes without saying but it's also a very hurtful thing to request from you. it's vulture-like. if i were your child, i would not be taking any advice about decisions like this from friends that encourage me to say such blindly hurtful tit (it sounds like this is happening to me). i would never ever dream of asking for "inheritance money" early for financial support for literally anything. i think you're well within your rights to say that it's a hurtful thing to ask for

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Have they got any sort of mental health issues (other than this)?

Yes, I would tell their grandparents. Also, inheritance isn't a right, and what happens if they give their money away, and then need it themselves?

Reactions: 12
im assuming that your child is female. being super into being feminine and then suddenly reverting sounds like they felt negatively about being feminine, feels pressured by it etc.,. and sees an "out" with being nonbinary. it sounds like they're a bit lost going from one extreme to the other as well and they should not be making major decisions like this in that frame of mind. this is not hair, like people regret cutting off their hair, never mind parts of their bodies that won't grow back, and it sounds like your child has not been committed to this for very long. if you think this is the case then maybe speak to them about why they feel they want to do this etc. i used to ID as nonbinary as mentioned before so this is all coming from a personal place. i would wager that your child isn't mentally OK and thus shouldnt be making decisions like this.

top surgery is a double masectomy, yes, it's complete removal of the breast. sometimes the nipple will also go (depending on chest size). people that have undergone 'top surgery' often have to get a fake nipple tattooed back on. the function of the breast is usually permanently destroyed. im a bit surprised that your child is looking at having this already, and seemingly without having had a history of being on hormones etc (it seems like this is very sudden) or a documented history of gender dysphoria. because of this, i would also hope that a doctor would be reluctant to do the surgery on your adult child.

it goes without saying but it's also a very hurtful thing to request from you. it's vulture-like. if i were your child, i would not be taking any advice about decisions like this from friends that encourage me to say such blindly hurtful tit (it sounds like this is happening to me). i would never ever dream of asking for "inheritance money" early for financial support for literally anything. i think you're well within your rights to say that it's a hurtful thing to ask for
Thank you! This is all so new to me, let alone her, it’s all been such a big sudden change, and lots of things at once. Like a name change legally too. I think she’s being very pressurised from an extreme wing, like some religious groups.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Thank you! This is all so new to me, let alone her, it’s all been such a big sudden change, and lots of things at once. Like a name change legally too. I think she’s being very pressurised from an extreme wing, like some religious groups.
it is a lot <3 there are a lot of women here that have personal insight on this and have a solid understanding of the issue, moreso than a lot of places

it sounds really difficult for you and your family. for sure it sounds like she is deep into this stuff. i think it operates a little bit like a cult where people that are vulnerable anyway (eg if they are experiencing mental illness) get drawn into it. the best thing you can do for your daughter is be there for her, emphasise the permanence of the decision etc etc.. for me there are two wings to it - 1. mental health and 2. struggling with the expectations placed onto women, and from there, there are lots of avenues your daughter can explore before deciding to do something permanent like this. the first thing is looking after her mental health generally, seeing a therapist etc etc., and the second is IMO exploring feminism outside queer theory, like radical feminism. ironically, naomi wolf is a TRA, but i really liked her book the Beauty Myth (a scan is available online...) on this subject - tbh that naomi is a TRA in some ways is helpful in this context bc it's not going to get picked up as "terf propaganda". again though, this only works if your daughter expresses she is struggling with the expectations of femininity.

do tread with caution though as again, much like with a cult, people that follow the tra way of thinking do not like to be told it's wrong, and ofc she is your daughter so you know her best.

if she just wants to reject femininity, that's OK, there are other ways to do it - she can dress androgynously, she doesn't need to change her body. nothing has to be permanent. this kind of thing is one of the best things she can do if she is struggling with femininity. i think she needs to give this other stuff a good go first before deciding to do something permanent like this (imv she probably shouldn't do the surgery ever but i'm not sure she'd hear that atm). this is what i did and now im in a good place, i dont need to wear loads of makeup but im also so happy to be a woman. good luck x

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My workplace has just announced today that we can add pronouns to our email signatures if we want to. But they did say there's no pressure or expectation to do so.

Which is just as well because I won't be adding them. If colleagues can't tell I'm a man from my face and name, they need an urgent visit to Specsavers.
Today my colleague showed me a piece of work that a Year 8 girl who is very clearly autistic had handed in during her PSHE class. I don't remember the actual task set but for whatever reason she decided it was pointless, refused to do it and instead wrote a completely irrelevant list of all the things she hates (it would have been quicker to write a list of the things she doesn't hate tbh). One of them was "I hate when people ask me for my pronouns. If they can't tell I'm a girl by looking at me and/or knowing my name is *Chloe they are obviously very stupid" - gave us both a laugh.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
it is a lot <3 there are a lot of women here that have personal insight on this and have a solid understanding of the issue, moreso than a lot of places

it sounds really difficult for you and your family. for sure it sounds like she is deep into this stuff. i think it operates a little bit like a cult where people that are vulnerable anyway (eg if they are experiencing mental illness) get drawn into it. the best thing you can do for your daughter is be there for her, emphasise the permanence of the decision etc etc.. for me there are two wings to it - 1. mental health and 2. struggling with the expectations placed onto women, and from there, there are lots of avenues your daughter can explore before deciding to do something permanent like this. the first thing is looking after her mental health generally, seeing a therapist etc etc., and the second is IMO exploring feminism outside queer theory, like radical feminism. ironically, naomi wolf is a TRA, but i really liked her book the Beauty Myth (a scan is available online...) on this subject - tbh that naomi is a TRA in some ways is helpful in this context bc it's not going to get picked up as "terf propaganda". again though, this only works if your daughter expresses she is struggling with the expectations of femininity.

do tread with caution though as again, much like with a cult, people that follow the tra way of thinking do not like to be told it's wrong, and ofc she is your daughter so you know her best.

if she just wants to reject femininity, that's OK, there are other ways to do it - she can dress androgynously, she doesn't need to change her body. nothing has to be permanent. this kind of thing is one of the best things she can do if she is struggling with femininity. i think she needs to give this other stuff a good go first before deciding to do something permanent like this (imv she probably shouldn't do the surgery ever but i'm not sure she'd hear that atm). this is what i did and now im in a good place, i dont need to wear loads of makeup but im also so happy to be a woman. good luck x
They’ve been wearing a binder and dressing like this for about 2 years, but seems to be going deeper into it, before only men. Then women, now god knows, It seems very sudden. But I think they’ve just been shady too.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I hate to give you one more thing to worry about, but is there any chance she could have been sexually assaulted or raped and not told you? A trauma such as that can lead women to self-harm in a way that they feel would make their body repulsive to the opposite sex. Over-eating is another response to it.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I hate to give you one more thing to worry about, but is there any chance she could have been sexually assaulted or raped and not told you? A trauma such as that can lead women to self-harm in a way that they feel would make their body repulsive to the opposite sex. Over-eating is another response to it.
I think they’de say, but who knows.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I think they’de say, but who knows.
Not necessarily, my friend only found out her daughter had been raped a year or two ago. She has gained a lot of weight and is now in a Lesbian relationship (not a problem as she is happy with her current partner)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.