Gender Discussion #32

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My sister and I are definitely GC, as are our close colleagues (we're both NHS, different health trusts, she's admin and I'm clinical)
Our husbands are on board, and I've even managed to make my "right-on" twentysomething son look more closely at the implications of self I.D. and of the risks posed to us by *some* men who may identify as women.

I've just driven my 86 year old mum back home after Sunday lunch with us. We were talking in the car about how so many young women now want to change their gender (not sex, we both agree that you can't do that, no matter how many bits you chop off). My mum told me that she'd never admitted this to anyone since she has been an adult, but that when she was around 11-12 years old, she wanted to be a boy so badly, that she thought there was something wrong with her. It wasn't until one of her friends mentioned that she would much rather be a boy, that she realised she wasn't alone. When I asked her why she and her friends thought this way, she replied "Why wouldn't we want to be boys? Men were waited on hand and foot, they didn't have to have babies* or look after the kids. They didn't do the washing and ironing, the cooking or cleaning. Being a boy looked like fun, my brother had a motorbike!"

*The horrors of childbirth in the pre and post-war years, was real to my mum and her peers. One of her friends was brought up by her aunt and uncle after her mother died in childbirth. My mum's aunt died from a ruptured bladder when her baby was just under a year old. And female contraception was non-existent, the fear of unwanted pregnancy was all-consuming, especially for unmarried women.

My mum says that this is all just a "stupid fad" with young girls wanting to be "different", and old men being how old men have always been, a load of bloody perverts. (Her exact words!)
She's heard about the M&S boycott and completely agrees with it, as she says, women don't want men in their changing rooms, not in M&S, nor anywhere else. And she vehemently disagrees with men in women's sports. They're just "cheats", who need (quote) "a kick up the backside".

• Heart
Reactions: 67
My sister and I are definitely GC, as are our close colleagues (we're both NHS, different health trusts, she's admin and I'm clinical)
Our husbands are on board, and I've even managed to make my "right-on" twentysomething son look more closely at the implications of self I.D. and of the risks posed to us by *some* men who may identify as women.

I've just driven my 86 year old mum back home after Sunday lunch with us. We were talking in the car about how so many young women now want to change their gender (not sex, we both agree that you can't do that, no matter how many bits you chop off). My mum told me that she'd never admitted this to anyone since she has been an adult, but that when she was around 11-12 years old, she wanted to be a boy so badly, that she thought there was something wrong with her. It wasn't until one of her friends mentioned that she would much rather be a boy, that she realised she wasn't alone. When I asked her why she and her friends thought this way, she replied "Why wouldn't we want to be boys? Men were waited on hand and foot, they didn't have to have babies* or look after the kids. They didn't do the washing and ironing, the cooking or cleaning. Being a boy looked like fun, my brother had a motorbike!"

*The horrors of childbirth in the pre and post-war years, was real to my mum and her peers. One of her friends was brought up by her aunt and uncle after her mother died in childbirth. My mum's aunt died from a ruptured bladder when her baby was just under a year old. And female contraception was non-existent, the fear of unwanted pregnancy was all-consuming, especially for unmarried women.

My mum says that this is all just a "stupid fad" with young girls wanting to be "different", and old men being how old men have always been, a load of bloody perverts. (Her exact words!)
She's heard about the M&S boycott and completely agrees with it, as she says, women don't want men in their changing rooms, not in M&S, nor anywhere else. And she vehemently disagrees with men in women's sports. They're just "cheats", who need (quote) "a kick up the backside".
A lovely post- and so true ! 😎

Reactions: 15
“Men will look at you” they’ll look at you anyway.
Exactly that. Covered up or not, they will still look at you. Women who dress modestly or cover themselves, still get attacked and sexually harassed by men - it doesn't matter what we wear or how we dress or if we go out alone or with a group of friends.
Misogyny from other women is always so painful to see

I love your mother! What a stellar lady ❤

Reactions: 24

Your mum is awesome ✊

Reactions: 17

Your mother has got it spot on!

Reactions: 12
And here's a SMURF - (ETA context - Owen Jones once said that he needed a 'broody lesbian' to have a surrogate baby)
Owen jones throwing a casual glance and wondering if he has finally found his broody lesbian.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
My mum told me that she'd never admitted this to anyone since she has been an adult, but that when she was around 11-12 years old, she wanted to be a boy so badly, that she thought there was something wrong with her. It wasn't until one of her friends mentioned that she would much rather be a boy, that she realised she wasn't alone. When I asked her why she and her friends thought this way, she replied "Why wouldn't we want to be boys? Men were waited on hand and foot, they didn't have to have babies* or look after the kids. They didn't do the washing and ironing, the cooking or cleaning. Being a boy looked like fun, my brother had a motorbike!"
Just goes to show that wanting to be a boy, or wishing you weren’t a girl, isn’t a modern phenomenon. How many times have TRAs tried to justify the 4000% increase in trans identified females as “well it’s just becoming more accepted now!”

No. It’s being facilitated now in a way it never was even ten years ago. The problem started as soon as doctors decided to treat mental illness with testosterone shots and double mastectomies as standard.

The horrors of childbirth in the pre and post-war years, was real to my mum and her peers. One of her friends was brought up by her aunt and uncle after her mother died in childbirth. My mum's aunt died from a ruptured bladder when her baby was just under a year old. And female contraception was non-existent, the fear of unwanted pregnancy was all-consuming, especially for unmarried women.
It’s actually chilling when you imagine how frightening it must have been to be a young girl in the early 20th century, seeing every mother of every family they knew either raising a massive brood of children or dead before her time. Knowing that was in her near future and she pretty much had no choice.

• Sad
Reactions: 26
Just goes to show that wanting to be a boy, or wishing you weren’t a girl, isn’t a modern phenomenon. How many times have TRAs tried to justify the 4000% increase in trans identified females as “well it’s just becoming more accepted now!”

No. It’s being facilitated now in a way it never was even ten years ago. The problem started as soon as doctors decided to treat mental illness with testosterone shots and double mastectomies as standard.

It’s actually chilling when you imagine how frightening it must have been to be a young girl in the early 20th century, seeing every mother of every family they knew either raising a massive brood of children or dead before her time. Knowing that was in her near future and she pretty much had no choice.
It's particularly jarring for me to see young women having unnecessary masectomies. My mum has advanced breast cancer, she's too old for chemo or surgery, and it has spread, but she's having some treatment and she's cracking on with life while she still can. The thought of a perfectly (physically) healthy woman actually choosing to have a double masectomy, revolts me, and anyone who encourages and/or accommodates this should be ashamed of themselves.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.