Gender Discussion #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Part of me sometimes wonders if this is something to sterilise those with mental health issues
It was used as part of the eugenics movement when the feeble minded, criminals and insane where treated in the early 20th century

Reactions: 10
I don't agree with Jordan Peterson on a lot of things but I do have sympathy for him, because he's been through hell.

Going through hell has made him a lot of money so perhaps it's not all bad.

I saw a recent video from Jordon Peterson, who I side-eye massively, but he was making some unsubstantiated claims about the fact that people have children later in life means they have fewer, which means they are coddled more and have less psychological resilience. Could he have a point?
He could have a point, yes. You cannot say 'all older parents are like to coddle their children more etc' because that would be patently untrue.

You can say there is a group of older parents who.. Because there's bound to be. Just as there's bound to be a group of younger parents who do the same thing.

So is it a relevant thing to say? Not unless he puts a lot more detail into it. He'd have to consider the effects of the world wide web, social media, and all kinds of other things. Like social contagion.

I do agree with him in that I think we're seeing a generation of kids who don't appear to have any psychological resilience at all.

We can see that from the need to have 'safe spaces' in Universities and 'trigger warnings' on books. These kids appear to have been wrapped in cotton wool for their entire lives and now want to be treated as the fragile poor thing they are.

It's attention seeking and narcissistic and they should be told to adult up and get on with life. Sticks and stones has apparently passed them by.

Anyway, he says stuff that I think is just wrong but sometimes I think he's right. I listen to those bits and ignore the rest.

• Heart
It’s hard to build resilience - we are working on it with our older daughter who is a bit of a precious flower. But she’s five.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I don't agree with Jordan Peterson on a lot of things but I do have sympathy for him, because he's been through hell.

Going through hell has made him a lot of money so perhaps it's not all bad.

He could have a point, yes. You cannot say 'all older parents are like to coddle their children more etc' because that would be patently untrue.

You can say there is a group of older parents who.. Because there's bound to be. Just as there's bound to be a group of younger parents who do the same thing.

So is it a relevant thing to say? Not unless he puts a lot more detail into it. He'd have to consider the effects of the world wide web, social media, and all kinds of other things. Like social contagion.

I do agree with him in that I think we're seeing a generation of kids who don't appear to have any psychological resilience at all.

We can see that from the need to have 'safe spaces' in Universities and 'trigger warnings' on books. These kids appear to have been wrapped in cotton wool for their entire lives and now want to be treated as the fragile poor thing they are.

It's attention seeking and narcissistic and they should be told to adult up and get on with life. Sticks and stones has apparently passed them by.

Anyway, he says stuff that I think is just wrong but sometimes I think he's right. I listen to those bits and ignore the rest.

Oh yes, a broken clock is right twice a day, but the cognitive dissonance is palpable.

He talks about all these kids lacking resilience, yet he cries at the mildest thing, was bedridden with depression and has a weird Donald Ivanka type relationship with his daughter, who in turn had so many physical and mental issues she could only cure them by eating steak exclusively?! C'maaan.

In a previous role I used to come across University students who had applied for additional help (someone to take notes and so on). Leaving aside the very small number with a physical disability that needed that help, the rest of them were entirely from this brigade. All flaky, lacking in any self discipline, utterly self absorbed and devoid of any self awareness. They reveled in the attention of being needy and 'special' and many of them were trans or non binary. It made me wish I could send them down the pits.
My youngest son goes to the local college with people like this. He's always telling me stories of their antics and complaints. They also turn up late for lectures, skip off all the time, don't complete their work - they ask son to do it for them 🤦‍♀️ and whine about the most ridiculous things 🙄 they do quite a bit of drug related stuff and have sex with anyone and everyone.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Oh yes, a broken clock is right twice a day, but the cognitive dissonance is palpable.

He talks about all these kids lacking resilience, yet he cries at the mildest thing, was bedridden with depression and has a weird Donald Ivanka type relationship with his daughter, who in turn had so many physical and mental issues she could only cure them by eating steak exclusively?! C'maaan.
Crying and depression are signs of no resilience now? Surely we should be praising a man who isn't afraid to show emotions that for years have been labelled as a negative and as for the depression one... almost everyone I know who legitimately has depression has had a period of being bedridden. It's somewhat cliche but depression is debilitating and I'm not sure we need to keep up with more negative stereotypes about it.

Surely resilience is being depressed and working through it and coming out the other side in a healthy way?

You don't have to like him, but I fail to see these points as legitimate reasons not to. 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Crying and depression are signs of no resilience now?
Yes, that bothered me too. I've been bedridden with depression many times. It doesn't make me a bad person. It doesn't make my opinion less valid.

Nor do I think the man has a weird Ivanka/Trump relationship with his daughter. Yes, they have both had mental and physical illnesses and have sought out alternative 'cures' with food. Lots of people have done that. Both for physical illnesses and mental ones. So what?

When we were younger, my husband and I loved going out for meals. Or take away after the cinema. My husband could eat anything and did.
Then in about 1987 he started to develop a really strange illness, he was in and out of hospital, there was a period where we were advised that he might die. It was a very difficult time.

Eventually they decided that he had a problem with his immune system and there wasn't anything they could do. In desperation he turned to diet and over a period of months, he started to get better. The list of stuff he can't eat was immense and it was easier to say what he could eat.

Now the reason I mention this is because of the date he started getting ill. 1987. That was the year after the Chernobyl disaster. I met loads of people who experienced much the same. I once saw an article in a newspaper that said there was radiation on fields in Yorkshire. That article disappear quickly and we're never told how much fall out from Chenobyl, the UK suffered.

I know that this all sounds very 'tin foil hat' but I've often wondered whether theres a root of truth in it. Now I look at a world where we all have computers/wifi/phones etc and I wonder if that's all affecting people too? Along with processed meals, non organic veg etc etc.

To be honest @fizzyjerk I think you're being a bit harsh. But you're entitled to be and I will always defend your right to speak, so much love and peace to you.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
To be clear, I am not berating JP for what he has been through, I am merely pointing out his hypocrisy and willingness to criticise other groups of people for traits he displays and things he has been through himself. I could argue he has coddled his daughter, and could also argue that being addicted to opiods is not resilient. Anything can be spun any way. I feel that he creates division more than unity, he could extend the compassion he seeks for himself to the groups of people he derides.

If you go back through my posts in this thread I have been very vocal about men displaying emotions in a healthy way, but as with anything in life, there is always a balance to be struck.

Reactions: 6
From what I've observed, parents now do massively mollycoddle their children. I noticed this years ago when I was dropping/collecting my now 18 year old when he was in Year 5. We weren't even allowed to drop them at the school gates. It was all very restrictive and I hated it because it all felt so babyish. I also noticed Year 6 parents and grandparents collecting their children directly from school 🙄 how they were going to manage at secondary was beyond me.

My eldest was going to and from school by himself at age 7 and was travelling abroad by himself at 17.

Ignore the Lionesses 8-0 victory last night, we have an even more stunning and brave person playing women's football

Lived 47 years as a man and then, at 52, playing on a women's team. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1410933
Another monstrosity 🤢

I expect he's doing it to gain access to the ladies changing rooms 🤬

Reactions: 15
Love the sign saying 'inspire'. What's he inspiring? Young women turning into old men?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Ignore the Lionesses 8-0 victory last night, we have an even more stunning and brave person playing women's football

View attachment 1410933
Insanity. ‘I can’t play male football as I’m a woman’ No, you’re bleeping not. Are these women having to share a changing room with ‘Pippa’? Why are they indulging this nonsense? Create a trans team! Leave womens sport alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Insanity. ‘I can’t play male football as I’m a woman’ No, you’re bleeping not. Are these women having to share a changing room with ‘Pippa’? Why are they indulging this nonsense? Create a trans team! Leave womens sport alone.
A trans team? all the blue haired meatloaf-esque fatties trotting around together. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

View attachment 1410933
"obviously I can't play male football anymore, because I'm a woman"

Actually, no, that isn't obvious at all. You are male. #nothankyou

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Apparently there is also a disabled team. I would suggest he is more disabled due to poor MH than he is a woman 🙄 .....

Reactions: 8

View attachment 1410933
The absolute state of him. He's their goalie so he has plenty of time to stand around watching the women play and what, gets to go in their changing rooms after? Its a pretty good deal for the perv.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
The absolute state of him. He's their goalie so he has plenty of time to stand around watching the women play and what, gets to go in their changing rooms after? Its a pretty good deal for the perv.
He looks like Harold Bishop in that team photo.

• Haha

View attachment 1410933
Another man who has managed to elbow his way into a woman's team. In the article, he says that he couldn't play in the men's team because he's a woman. He also mentions that he was "rubbish" at football. I'm sure there's a connection there somewhere 🤔🙄.

I wonder if his team mates are honestly happy about the inclusion of a bloke who is rubbish at football, into their women's team? It's almost like we're not supposed to take women's sport seriously 😡😡😡

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.