Gender Discussion #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just got done watching Eastenders on catch up and I just need to have a little rant. There was a scene where of the child characters Lexi, was planning on auditioning for the part of Mary in the school nativity. The nativity gets cancelled and her response is ā€œso Iā€™ve been walking around the square for the last 2 weeks like a pregnant person for nothing?ā€.

I know itā€™s just a silly soap opera and this is a relatively minor thing compared to whatā€™s being discussed, but seriously?!?? Itā€™s woman. Pregnant. Woman. Iā€™ve had it with this nonsense.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 19

uhmm..

"many services available to cis people are denied or are much harder to access for trans people, inc HRT, hair removal and transplant, gamete storage and fertility treatment, voice therapy, facial surgery, breast augmentation and reduction, hysterectomy, vasectomy and associated surgeries and gender affirming protheses. We demand equal access to these services. We demand an end to segregation in the NHS"

:cautious:
They are absolutely bleeping deluded.

• Sick
Reactions: 11
I just got done watching Eastenders on catch up and I just need to have a little rant. There was a scene where of the child characters Lexi, was planning on auditioning for the part of Mary in the school nativity. The nativity gets cancelled and her response is ā€œso Iā€™ve been walking around the square for the last 2 weeks like a pregnant person for nothing?ā€.

I know itā€™s just a silly soap opera and this is a relatively minor thing compared to whatā€™s being discussed, but seriously?!?? Itā€™s woman. Pregnant. Woman. Iā€™ve had it with this nonsense.
I can appreciate the point because of the constant onslaught but I think that is just normal language that would be used in this context. When someone is pretending to be something they are not such as fat, old, pregnant, disabled if would often be ā€¦I am playing a fat personā€¦pregnant person. It could be equally speaking some people would say fat woman, old woman, pregnant womanā€¦..and so on. Obviously itā€™s itā€™s acting the credits will reflect the sex.

Reactions: 6
I can appreciate the point because of the constant onslaught but I think that is just normal language that would be used in this context. When someone is pretending to be something they are not such as fat, old, pregnant, disabled if would often be ā€¦I am playing a fat personā€¦pregnant person. It could be equally speaking some people would say fat woman, old woman, pregnant womanā€¦..and so on. Obviously itā€™s itā€™s acting the credits will reflect the sex.
i think in this pregnant person actually sounds better, not only just for the alliteration but if it said "pregnant woman" surely that implies there is such a thing as a pregnant man?

Reactions: 3
I dunno, maybe youā€™re right. Maybe iā€™m sensitive to it because of the blatant attempts to erase women centred language. Itā€™s on par with ā€˜people with a cervixā€™ in my eyes. I felt like it was a very intentional choice of words used by the writers. I never heard of the term ā€˜pregnant personā€™ until relatively recently. When I was growing up it was always pregnant woman/lady/mother, maybe that was just my experience.

Fat or old people can be of either sex. So saying ā€˜fat personā€™ or ā€˜old personā€™ makes sense. Only women can get pregnant so why not acknowledge that?

Like I said I know itā€™s a relatively minor thing amongst everything that gets discussed here. Maybe I am making something of nothing.

Reactions: 12
I dunno, maybe youā€™re right. Maybe iā€™m sensitive to it because of the blatant attempts to erase women centred language. Itā€™s on par with ā€˜people with a cervixā€™ in my eyes. I felt like it was a very intentional choice of words used by the writers. I never heard of the term ā€˜pregnant personā€™ until relatively recently. When I was growing up it was always pregnant woman/lady/mother, maybe that was just my experience.

Fat or old people can be of either sex. So saying ā€˜fat personā€™ or ā€˜old personā€™ makes sense. Only women can get pregnant so why not acknowledge that?

Like I said I know itā€™s a relatively minor thing amongst everything that gets discussed here. Maybe I am making something of nothing.
true, i guess just saying "pregnant"would make more sense

uhmm..

"many services available to cis people are denied or are much harder to access for trans people, inc HRT, hair removal and transplant, gamete storage and fertility treatment, voice therapy, facial surgery, breast augmentation and reduction, hysterectomy, vasectomy and associated surgeries and gender affirming protheses. We demand equal access to these services. We demand an end to segregation in the NHS"

:cautious:
I would love to know which NHS services are providing all of these services to "cis" people for free. Can't even get IVF where I live. Zero free rounds. The NHS is a bleeping lottery for services anyway without trans people getting all this tit too

Reactions: 17
Harrop is a narcissistic bully. I don't think he's should be allowed to practice medicine, ever, however if his conduct during the hearing is anything to go by (and the Vice article) I can't imagine he'll stay out of trouble long. He loves the sound of his own voice and can't help himself.

Reactions: 16
Iā€™m with you. I donā€™t think ā€œpregnant personā€ is a phrase that would have been uttered by anyone until recently. ā€œPregnantā€ is such a sex-specific term it just wouldnā€™t be used alongside ā€œpersonā€.

Iā€™m sure Eastenders did it deliberately and itā€™s yet another example of the insidious way that gender ideology is infecting everything.

Reactions: 19
Iā€™m with you. I donā€™t think ā€œpregnant personā€ is a phrase that would have been uttered by anyone until recently. ā€œPregnantā€ is such a sex-specific term it just wouldnā€™t be used alongside ā€œpersonā€.

Iā€™m sure Eastenders did it deliberately and itā€™s yet another example of the insidious way that gender ideology is infecting everything.
Yes gender ideology is creeping in everywhere however in the case of what was discussed I don't believe that is the case. I never watched the scene and don't watch eastender's so had just commented on what the dialogue that had been quoted said. The term person is used when describing one's character. The scene in question was from one person's viewpoint so the girl saying she was playing a pregnant person makes sense. Same if a woman says she is acting......she could describe different parts she was playing such as drunk person, pregnant person, new mother, doctor etc. If you are watching and listening you know she is a woman so there is no need for her to say drunk female, female doctor as its self evident from her description what type of character she will be. However the term new mother is correctly used as that refers to a woman that has recently given birth. Equally speaking the actress if asked by friends if she has had any parts recently she could say that she was a pregnant woman in casualty or she could say she played a pregnant person. From the others peoples viewpoints they know she is a woman so both descriptions are valid. On the credits it would be correctly labelled as pregnant woman as it would not be correct to use language such as pregnant person or just pregnant there.

If it was me talking as a man about situations I would use the correct language ....for example
"you will make great parents" to a couple who are friends....separately it would be great mother or father
"I gave my seat up to a pregnant woman on the train"....I am not describing what character I was but rather someone else
" the pub was crap it was full of old people" .... the sex of the clientele is not relevant to describe the atmosphere to another person here

The above may seem like I am making a lot of pointless points however it comes from my personal experience. I have often in the past read or watched something that has made me annoyed for hours which in the odd case upon rereading/discussion was not what I had first concluded. Of course if Eastender's has a new mother character in it soon and she talks about chestfeeding by all means shout at the TV "woke arseholes its effing breastfeeding!".

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.