Gender Discussion #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A generation of kids who've never been told no, who've been told they are the most special and unique flower ever, that there are no such thing as winners and so on

They really need to cut out the nonsense they have at schools now where everybody gets a medal just for taking part. It's perfectly ok to have winners and losers. That's just how life is. Try your best and if you don't win then so what? You tried! It's setting future generations up with wildly unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: 12
The other thing about this mental health focus is that not only are coping skills not taught but they seem to be actively discouraged. I've seen many a conversation online where it's frowned upon for people to suggest doing something that might make them feel better. "You just don't understand my mental health". Of course going out for a walk is not going to help someone who is experiencing severe clinical issues but for most of us, there are things we can do to help when feeling down or anxious. It's really no wonder so many people fall to pieces over pronouns

Reactions: 11
I worked closely with someone in University student services and the levels of support some students need these days is unbelievable. Of course, support should be available but she said a lot of them need help managing the most basic of life events. Essay deadlines would trigger anxiety, lots apply for extenuating circumstances to allow extra time and so on.
I have to say my experience as an academic was the same. When I was an undergrad (not even that long ago to be honest) if we had turned up to seminars without doing the key reading we would be kicked out of the class. The tutor would pick on random students and expect us to know key cases (this was an LLB degree) and if someone was obviously unprepared they’d be asked to leave. When I was teaching, we weren’t allowed to pick on students to ask questions because it ‘causes anxiety’ so you’d often sit there in silence waiting for someone to answer a question. You’re encouraged not to fill silences to encourage students to have a go at answering, but I found this irritating and frankly painful. Same with deadlines for essays, and even exams. When I was an undergrad you needed a medical note to get an extension. I hate to sound all ‘back in my day’ but honestly I do think academia has gone up tit creek without a paddle these days, it’s sad to see in such a short space of time.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
My hairdresser was talking to me about apprentices the other day, he said he liked one of them, she had a good attitude and personality. I said is that unusual. He said yes, a lot of them don’t have a clue. He says they all have “ issues” - he did the quotes. I asked him what he meant. He said some of them are insolent, and back chatting in front of customers, even when asked to do the most basic thing. (He reprimands them later.) And he said he is tired of them treating him like a parent rather than an employer. He has to sit and listen to them - they all want to tell him about their anxieties. He said they say they have anxieties when you ask them to do X (basic stuff) and if he says do you have anxieties when you do something you enjoy, they say no. He tries to tell them that feeling nervous about new stuff is a normal part of life, and using anxiety as an excuse not to do something is not on, but they are all on planet Me. He just wants to go home and see his own kids and has to act as some type of parent to other people’s kids. He is in his late 30s, so not methuselah.

For some, it seems like a personality trait these days? When I first went on antidepressants I def felt like a stigma and a failure. But now quite a few are self-diagnosing themselves with bipolar, autism, or OCD and reducing those conditions down to minor quirks when for many it's distressing and debilitating to themselves and their family.

And all this bleeping triggering, on a music forum I was accused of being ableist by using the word dumb referring to myself when asking about an acronym they were using. unsurprising they are very TRAs.

The whole pronoun thing work and uni say "It is inappropriate and makes the person who was misgendered feel awkward and responsible for comforting you, which is absolutely not their job." but you're expected to be comforting to them and left feeling awkward and put up with their nastiness!!!

Needs to end soon

• Heart
Reactions: 16
@judgejohndeed Can you imagine the meltdown if a student was kicked out of class now? No doubt the offending professor would be sanctioned or fired. Students seem to think of themselves as 'customers' because of the high fees. It's absolutely crazy and has just blown my mind all over again that students succeeded in driving a woman out of the university she worked in

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@judgejohndeed Can you imagine the meltdown if a student was kicked out of class now? No doubt the offending professor would be sanctioned or fired. Students seem to think of themselves as 'customers' because of the high fees. It's absolutely crazy and has just blown my mind all over again that students succeeded in driving a woman out of the university she worked in
I know, it was basically an unwritten rule that you didn't do at the institutions I lectured at. When I was a student myself I actually liked the rule. It meant if I hadn't prepared I didn't go to the seminar because I knew I'd be kicked out, and the tutors were clear that they didn't consider turning up and leeching off the work of other students to be acceptable. I found it very efficient and fair. Now, because they're paying so much, they expect to be spoonfed. At university! It's a madness. There was a whole other issue around not failing students and giving even the very worst, clearly no effort/not taken seriously pieces of work a pass, because we couldn't be seen to fail students.

Academia has become increasingly political and I feel sorry for colleagues having to make do in that environment. I also worry what impression it's giving to those coming through and what kind of student/person will see what's going on and think 'yeah I want to be a part of that.' It's going to get baked in from the bottom now.

Reactions: 7
I'm glad mental health is being taken more seriously, but it does seem to ge the get out of jail free card for some people when they don't get what they want. I know people whose entire personality is them announcing they have ADHD and have been sexually assaulted and all sorts of stuff that they define their existence by.

Life is a series of tragedies sometimes. I've had a far from privileged life and have a lot of empathy for people, but honestly I think people need to get off the bleeping Internet and get a life.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
My hairdresser was talking to me about apprentices the other day, he said he liked one of them, she had a good attitude and personality. I said is that unusual. He said yes, a lot of them don’t have a clue. He says they all have “ issues” - he did the quotes. I asked him what he meant. He said some of them are insolent, and back chatting in front of customers, even when asked to do the most basic thing. (He reprimands them later.) And he said he is tired of them treating him like a parent rather than an employer. He has to sit and listen to them - they all want to tell him about their anxieties. He said they say they have anxieties when you ask them to do X (basic stuff) and if he says do you have anxieties when you do something you enjoy, they say no. He tries to tell them that feeling nervous about new stuff is a normal part of life, and using anxiety as an excuse not to do something is not on, but they are all on planet Me. He just wants to go home and see his own kids and has to act as some type of parent to other people’s kids. He is in his late 30s, so not methuselah.
This is interesting as this up and coming generation have been brought up that way. Looking back at my teens and 20s I was a nervous wreck and if I’d talked to someone about it I would likely have have been diagnosed with anxiety or depression. But I just got on with it and in my 40s now I feel pretty resilient and thankfully no MH issues. I’m certainly not judging anyone suffering with MH issues btw but like you say a lot of these feelings are a normal part of life especially growing up. The lack of resilience in young people today is astounding and worrying. It’s probably down to living their lives online in a social media bubble where they feel validated and are coddled. Then they enter the real world and are afronted at being asked to work when they are working. And think the world should stop for them.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm glad mental health is being taken more seriously, but it does seem to ge the get out of jail free card for some people when they don't get what they want. I know people whose entire personality is them announcing they have ADHD and have been sexually assaulted and all sorts of stuff that they define their existence by.

Life is a series of tragedies sometimes. I've had a far from privileged life and have a lot of empathy for people, but honestly I think people need to get off the bleeping Internet and get a life.
I agree. I've suffered anxiety on and off myself for years, so I know it can be debilitating - but at the same time, I'm not sure we do students a favour by not asking them questions on the spot, etc. I now talk for a living, and I can't really imagine any job where you would be free from being asked questions on the spot. I'm not saying this will work for everyone of course, but exposure to the things that made me nervous really helped. The first time I did a lecture in front of 200 students I was shaking like an absolute leaf. But asking to be excused from that would mean I'd never get past it. I think there has to be a line with this kind of thing and we have to think about whether just letting people 'off' things helps or hinders them.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm quite an anxious person too and I really have to be aware of how to best manage it. For instance, when I've felt anxious staying in and doing nothing makes me feel worse. Even something simple like going out for a run or a 10 minute walk works wonders. I also know what will make me feel anxious. People do have to put a bit of work into this kind of thing but the pronoun crowd want the whole world to bend to their will. Again, I'm not talking about clinical issues but at some point everyone has to take a certain amount of responsibility for themselves and learn coping strategies instead of blaming the whole world for everything or falling to pieces because someone asked them a question at work or asked them to do something slightly outside their comfort zone

• Heart
My entire 3 years at university (recent) was nothing but silent seminars. Awkward, prolonged silences and the tutors did nothing to encourage them to answer. I always thought they were a waste of everyone’s time to be honest.

I’m a millennial and while I have sympathy for Gen Z and their struggles with growing up with social media etc, most don’t seem to have much resilience at all.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Wow, check out the meltdown this man has because someone used 'transwoman' instead of 'trans woman'. Calls a woman a pig because of a space and has the cheek to lecture her about 'slurs'? Honestly, the aggression scares me. If he reacts like that over something so trivial, imagine what he would be like in person if he picked up on a perceived slight or something. This is why we don't want them in our spaces. The aggression is frightening
duck him and his fetish.

• Heart
My entire 3 years at university (recent) was nothing but silent seminars. Awkward, prolonged silences and the tutors did nothing to encourage them to answer. I always thought they were a waste of everyone’s time to be honest.

I’m a millennial and while I have sympathy for Gen Z and their struggles with growing up with social media etc, most don’t seem to have much resilience at all.
It’s definitely shifted in the past 5 -10 years. When I was at uni 13-10 years ago I had literature seminars and you were the odd one out if you DIDN’T have anything to add to the discussion - studying and keeping up seemed to be the order of the day. Facebook Twitter etc were around of course but we weren’t being advertised to/groomed at the same level. I think schooling is failing kids and not preparing them for the world of work or higher education to be honest. I know of a couple of 21 year olds who have been looking for jobs for 3 years each and they only last a few weeks at places because they have no work ethic, they don’t want to do anything, they don’t participate in bringing solutions or helping others etc. These are family friends and they are to be quite honest, pathetic. I think something has happened in the last 5 years where kids are coddled too much and given false entitlement and it shows. They also don’t seem to know how debate and polite discussion works.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I think something has happened in the last 5 years where kids are coddled too much and given false entitlement and it shows. They also don’t seem to know how debate and polite discussion works.
This, I think, ties into what I said few pages back about younger people mostly spending their lives online being humourless. Debate and polite discussion is rare on the Internet (honestly, this is one of the few forums I’ve ever been a part of where I’ve never seen overt bile directed to other users) and shouting, tripping people up, and backing people into corners is a preferred method, and are completely out of their depth when entering the real world and realising it doesn’t work like that. And the humourless thing - things are so easily misinterpreted on the Internet, and clarification is often needed on posts because you can’t always tell sarcasm or humour from blocks of texts without seeing facial expressions or hearing a tone of voice. So in real life, having been raised online, they don’t engage in humour and mostly look and sound miserable, angry, and looking for a fight and looking out for offence. That’s my two cents anyway!

• Heart
Dunno why this would piss anyone off when they are using the correct bathroom 🤷🏽‍♀️
I hope they asked the other guy’s permission to have his photo taken in the toilets (guy on left I am presuming is an innocent bystander).

Reactions: 10
Would you like a new kitchen? Why not try sex work!

This is how normalised it's becoming 🤦‍♀️ It's being framed as a way to prove a point - despite making £50 in 5 hours and needing 35.5k

• Angry
  • Sick
  • Wow

This makes me so sad. I'm an academic and first years fill me with absolute dread, the silence, the disinterest, empty 9am lectures and general can't be bothered attitude. It gets better when they've specifically chosen your modules in second/third year etc but honestly I'm not sure why half of these kids bother going to uni, it seems so many just want to scrape through without engaging much. Tbh I think too many people go to uni now without thinking about it, what do you think @judgejohndeed? It's like it's the next natural progression from school, and has nothing to do with career choices etc.

• Heart
Dunno why this would piss anyone off when they are using the correct bathroom 🤷🏽‍♀️
Oh I thought they were unsafe in the mens? The guy who has presumably had his photo taken without consent doesn't seem bothered by sharing a bathroom with them

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.