Gender Discussion #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You took a quote out of context and tried to insinuate that the word 'disgusting' was used towards age when in fact it was not. And you're still missing the entire point

Reactions: 5
My go to for these kind of scenarios is to imagine it's your daughter or niece- so anyone who claims that a 19 year old and a 50 year old is not weird, I call BS on that because no one in their right mind would want their 19 year old daughter to date a middle aged man. A 19 year old was only a child 2 years ago and simply does not have the life experience no matter how 'mature' or consenting she may be. Same as the sex work is work crew- again, would they be happy for their own daughters or nieces to be prostitutes?
When my daughter is an adult I have absolutely zero interest in policing her sex life. That will be her business and certainly not mine.

I don’t like how some dads are with regard to their daughters on these issues. They aren’t the same with their sons and it’s creepy.

You took a quote out of context and tried to insinuate that the word 'disgusting' was used towards age when in fact it was not. And you're still missing the entire point
I don’t agree. That’s allowed, isn’t it. The pejorative was there, saying that it is disgusting because of the age gap. That’s just how I see it. Is that ok?

I'm not offended, I'd suggest it's you that seems to be the offended one 🙄
I was referring to the article, not you.

Caring for your children does not stop just because they cross an arbitrary line of 'adulthood' (which is different all around the world anyway, just to show how arbitrary it is). One day your daughter is 17 and however many days old, the next day she is 18. Parenthood does not stop just because someone turns 18, caring that your daughter isn't being manipulated or bullied into something or taken advantage of by an older man absolutely should not stop at 18 just because legally she's an adult. This is incredibly bizarre to me and not at all how I've ever heard anyone else describe parenthood.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I had a day at work recently meeting the entire organisation. One woman had a bright yellow ‘she/her’ badge on her lanyard?!? The fact she was a woman gave it away for me.

If LGB activists started pressurising the world to state their sexual orientation after saying your hellos, or religious zealots made us state our beliefs in emails and on badges, the world would be going batshit. No other group has had this effect on workspaces like this.

I saw a similar workplace to my own online this week and thought, ‘Oh wow, seems great there, wouldn’t mind working for them one day’… two seconds later, saw a team intro page and everyone had pronouns (all him or her) after their names. Will not be applying for that, EVER. Imagine if you said no somewhere like that!
Nothing gets my back up like the blue-haired badge brigade and their bloody badges. I don't understand why some people need to overshare every single detail about their lives - well, it's all attention seeking, isn't it. But the more people know, the more they use it against you and you become the topic of conversation. I wish people would just be quiet and get on with their work.

Reactions: 14
Caring for your children does not stop just because they cross an arbitrary line of 'adulthood' (which is different all around the world anyway, just to show how arbitrary it is). One day your daughter is 17 and however many days old, the next day she is 18. Parenthood does not stop just because someone turns 18, caring that your daughter isn't being manipulated or bullied into something or taken advantage of by an older man absolutely should not stop at 18 just because legally she's an adult. This is incredibly bizarre to me and not at all how I've ever heard anyone else describe parenthood.
Some aspects do stop. You don’t intervene in the private lives of your adult children without their invitation or unless there is a grave need.

It's funny, I never mentioned 'sex life'. You did.
Your point being?

Some aspects do stop. You don’t intervene in the private lives of your adult children without their invitation or unless there is a grave need.
Well then we agree. Surely your child being clearly taken advantage of by a much older man, and through their young age and life inexperience relatively speaking is unable to see it, constitutes a 'grave need'? I would certainly like to think someone I was close to would express concern for me if a relationship I was in was manipulative or unbalanced and I appeared not to have noticed it. Families are generally not this individualistic.

Reactions: 15
Well then we agree. Surely your child being clearly taken advantage of by a much older man, and through their young age and life inexperience relatively speaking is unable to see it, constitutes a 'grave need'? I would certainly like to think someone I was close to would express concern for me if a relationship I was in was manipulative or unbalanced and I appeared not to have noticed it. Families are generally not this individualistic.
I would very likely express a concern. How many 19 year olds are likely to listen, and what could I practically do about it without alienating my daughter?

Reactions: 1
My point was not about stopping it, it was that people by and large wouldn't like it. I just thought it was odd that 'sex life' was brought up. You've said yourself you would express a concern so it sounds like you're agreeing with the point of it being odd but are doggedly arguing for some unknown reason

Reactions: 9
I would very likely express a concern. How many 19 year olds are likely to listen, and what could I practically do about it without alienating my daughter?
I can't give you tips on how you communicate with your daughter, I know absolutely nothing about your relationship. You've rapidly gone from 'I wouldn't intervene as she's an adult so it's none of my business' to now 'I would likely express a concern.' That was my only point.

Reactions: 6
My point was not about stopping it, it was that people by and large wouldn't like it. I just thought it was odd that 'sex life' was brought up. You've said yourself you would express a concern so it sounds like you're agreeing with the point of it being odd but are doggedly arguing for some unknown reason
I already said I would find it odd!

What is it that I’m saying that you are taking issue with exactly?

I can't give you tips on how you communicate with your daughter, I know absolutely nothing about your relationship. You've rapidly gone from 'I wouldn't intervene as she's an adult so it's none of my business' to now 'I would likely express a concern.' That was my only point.
Expressing a concern is different from intervening. Isn’t it?

After I express a concern and she doesn’t do what I advise, where do I go from there?

Expressing a concern is different from intervening. Isn’t it?

After I express a concern and she doesn’t do what I advise, where do I go from there?
This is really just arguing about semantics now and I have no interest in it. Splitting hairs between 'expressing concern' and 'intervening' is pointless. From the way your posts read (and others feel free to say if I have misunderstood) it sounded very much to me like you were saying once your daughter is 18 her relationships are none of your business whatsoever. That suggested to me you wouldn't say anything in the circumstances we were talking about. I don't think I have suggested at any point that you can 'intervene' in the sense that no, you cannot stop your daughter dating someone older, but that to me is very different to saying her relationships are none of your business. I would also say, given legal boundaries seem very important to you, you cannot practically police the relationships your teenage daughter (as in under 18 so not an adult) has either. Once they are at high school I would say, unless you keep them locked up forever they will vote with their feet. So there is no qualitative value in that distinction if what you're concerned about is when it is and isn't acceptable for you to be concerned about your child's relationships.

Reactions: 7
The Magdalene Laundries were run by women. Nuns.

Evil has no gender. Where there is unchecked power, women and men are both prone to evil.
They may have been managed by nuns but they were institutions of the Catholic Church. Which is, obviously, partriarchial in structure. The root cause of evil in this case was the Church itself. Which by and large is the domain of men.

(Worth also noting crime stats show men are far more prone to ‘evil’ than women…)

Reactions: 15
I would say 99% of people in this debate don't hate trans people. But it's always turned to look like that because playing the victim tends to work.
I mean, the question is usually clear. What rights do they not have? We just want an answer.
I know there are still people who won't hire lesbians or gays, or who won't rent them a place. If that happens to trans people, and I'm sure it does, let's talk about it. That's a legit problem that needs to be solved. But we don't hear a word about that.
One right I’ve heard they don’t have is if they are married and wish to transition, they need their spouses consent.

I’m really weirded out by that one poster in the secret celeb gossip thread.
If its who I think you mean...
Yes. I thought they were mucking around first off, but they are sounding stranger and stranger.

Reactions: 11
It's a tricky one. I always wonder how the parents of some of my ex-husband's girlfriends felt about him. After we split up he decided he was some kind of uber-dom and the girlfriends got younger and younger and younger, because the older ones wouldn't put up with his tit. By the time he died in 2019, he was 54 and his girlfriend at the time was a 19-year-old who'd had a couple of lengthy stays in a psychiatric hospital as a younger teenager. I should think her parents were beside themselves, no matter how much he claimed he always got on really well with them. My mother HATED him, but she still managed to put a smile on her face for our wedding day and I love her for that.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I would say 99% of people in this debate don't hate trans people. But it's always turned to look like that because playing the victim tends to work.
I mean, the question is usually clear. What rights do they not have? We just want an answer.
I know there are still people who won't hire lesbians or gays, or who won't rent them a place. If that happens to trans people, and I'm sure it does, let's talk about it. That's a legit problem that needs to be solved. But we don't hear a word about that.
It is also illegal and everyone is already protected under the law. Of course, people still break the law and everyone should feel able to report it and be supported in that way.

A lot of this reminds me of the Levinson enquiry. We didn't need more press regulation or new rules for the press. We just needed to enforce all the laws already in place that were being broken (i.e. phone hacking - it's illegal!).

There is a conflict between women's rights and SOME rights trans people want. You simply cannot have female only spaces if anyone can identify as female. It's not possible. I don't understand how people cannot see this. There are solutions to this problem (third spaces, some reasonable accommodations, such as post-op trans women with GRC could have access, etc.) but even suggesting that is transphobic.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think sometimes, people use 'age' and 'consenting adults' to shield strange behaviour. For example, does anyone really think it's fine and normal for a 19 year old to be dating say a 50 year old just because the 19 year old is an 'adult'? This also to me ignores that age cut offs are largely arbitrary, but necessary for legal and policy reasons. We need, legally, an age that we can say 'this person is an adult now' and from that flows a whole host of legal rights etc. But that doesn't detract at all from the fact that ages around 18 and over are still very young adults, and therefore more susceptible/vulnerable to power imbalances that come from big age gaps.
Very much so...

No idea what's going on in this thread just now 🧐 but I dated a few older men when I was very young, 19-21 kind of age, and only in recent years did I realise that they had no business being near me. I wish my parents stepped in and had a word, although no I probably wouldn't have listened to them. I might have been an adult in the eyes of the law, but that didn't really make it any better.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
They may have been managed by nuns but they were institutions of the Catholic Church. Which is, obviously, partriarchial in structure. The root cause of evil in this case was the Church itself. Which by and large is the domain of men.

(Worth also noting crime stats show men are far more prone to ‘evil’ than women…)
The Catholic Church has perpetrated some of the worst crimes whenever its been given the power to do so. Magdalene Laundries, mother and baby homes, boarding schools for native people in Canada, the sexual abuse of children by priests.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
One right I’ve heard they don’t have is if they are married and wish to transition, they need their spouses consent.
I don't think it quite works that way - are you talking about the spousal veto? Basically if two people are married and one of them transitions, the non-transitioning spouse has to sign a statutory declaration to say they consent to the marriage continuing after the gender recognition certificate is issued. If the non-transitioning spouse is unhappy about their spouse's transition then they probably would be filing for divorce anyway.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.