Gender Discussion #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The other one is fine to me, a bit crude for
my liking but they seem to have calm down the past few days and can seem to have serious discussions.

But I’m getting manic and creepy from the one I was originally talking about.
Agreed. I have backed you up on the thread.

Reactions: 5
Whenever this subject comes up, online or offline, I tend to express my disinterest bordering on distaste for the whole debate.

The idea that women’s rights and rights of trans people cannot coexist is a ridiculous misnomer. In my view though, that isn’t what either extremes of the debate wants. They want the culture war, because they enjoy it.

They get a buzz from it. It makes them feel important. If I HAD to pick a side it would probably be the GC side because at least they didn’t start it.

Oh, will need to have a look. I enjoy taking online bullies down to Chinatown.
I agree, I'm not completely against trans people. I respect them as individuals, think they deserve rights etc. I just think the whole movement needs critical conversation and people shouldn't be shot down as "transphobic" for having different views on certain things.

Reactions: 12
I agree, I'm not completely against trans people. I respect them as individuals, think they deserve rights etc. I just think the whole movement needs critical conversation and people shouldn't be shot down as "transphobic" for having different views on certain things.
100% agree.
I’ve found I tend to get absolute dogs abuse from both sides merely for expressing disinterest or giving the view that some aspects of the debate are just silly nonsense.

The thing that’s so obnoxious about the entire discussion is the fact that it largely cannot be discussed.

Reactions: 9
I would say 99% of people in this debate don't hate trans people. But it's always turned to look like that because playing the victim tends to work.
I mean, the question is usually clear. What rights do they not have? We just want an answer.
I know there are still people who won't hire lesbians or gays, or who won't rent them a place. If that happens to trans people, and I'm sure it does, let's talk about it. That's a legit problem that needs to be solved. But we don't hear a word about that.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I would say 99% of people in this debate don't hate trans people. But it's always turned to look like that because playing the victim tends to work.
I mean, the question is usually clear. What rights do they not have? We just want an answer.
I know there are still people who won't hire lesbians or gays, or who won't rent them a place. If that happens to trans people, and I'm sure it does, let's talk about it. That's a legit problem that needs to be solved. But we don't hear a word about that.
Indeed. They are not interested in that. Just in sticking it to their opponents in their imaginary culture war.

Reactions: 6
It's impossible to have a debate because they view everything through the lens of victimhood. They're only doing themselves a massive disservice because it honestly will get to a point where landlords/ employers etc will think they're more hassle than they're worth. So all the stuff about "they're discriminating against me because I'm trans!" will become a self fulfilling prophecy. If I worked alongside a trans or non binary person I'd be watching my every word for fear of causing offence. If people are getting wary it's entirely the doing of a lot of them. They've ruined things for the ones that just want to get on with their lives and who don't cry 'transphobia!' at every little thing

• Heart
I genuinely believe there are trans people out there sick of it all themselves. Like they just want to live their lives in peace but as the opposite sex, well aware that they are truly the other, so make sure it's on medical records etc, not expecting the world to change just for them. The loud ones are proper narcissists, that's why they play the victim so bloody well and why they think the world should bend to their wants. The world seems to be falling for this narcissistic rage attack and its ridiculous.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I genuinely believe their are trans people out there sick of it all themselves. Like they just want to live their lives in peace but as the opposite sex, well aware that they are truly the other, so make sure it's on medical records etc, not expecting the world to change just for them. The loud ones are proper narcissists, that's why they play the victim so bloody well and why they think the world should bend to their wants. The world seems to be falling for this narcissistic rage attack and its ridiculous.
There definitely are those trans people who just want to get on with their lives but honestly, after spending so much time in this debate I really think the traits of playing the victim etc are a feature and not a bug.

Reactions: 15
I'm reading a lot about 'both sides' when it's definitely one that's publicly threatening to rape, punch, kill, kerb-stomp 🤔

• Heart
" I'm in a FB group of old school friends - all female. I posted about Sarah, explaining the circs for those not in the UK. One, a very right-on lawyer, thinks perhaps that piece of tit had been abused or tortured in childhood... I DONT CARE!! "

I just posted this on the Sarah Everard thread, but I think it fits here too. Bloody excuses for men.

Sorry to quote myself from yesterday, but this person has just suggested, apparently in all seriousness, that satanic rituals were involved o_O o_O o_O

Reactions: 7
I can’t see this changing ever
Nor should it. It’s not as if women aren’t often seemingly attracted to older men. Age is also a protected characteristic and shouldn’t be portrayed pejoratively with terms such as “disgusting”.

All that matters is whether those involved are consenting adults. People can’t have it both ways.

I'm reading a lot about 'both sides' when it's definitely one that's publicly threatening to rape, punch, kill, kerb-stomp 🤔
That’s a very fair point. I have seen some of the TERF side posting and spouting some absolute hatred but it does seem to be less common.

Reactions: 4
Right well if age should not be portrayed as disgusting, why is it always much younger women than their male counterparts in said roles?

And no one is saying that older men are disgusting. I think you've missed the point entirely

Reactions: 16
I think sometimes, people use 'age' and 'consenting adults' to shield strange behaviour. For example, does anyone really think it's fine and normal for a 19 year old to be dating say a 50 year old just because the 19 year old is an 'adult'? This also to me ignores that age cut offs are largely arbitrary, but necessary for legal and policy reasons. We need, legally, an age that we can say 'this person is an adult now' and from that flows a whole host of legal rights etc. But that doesn't detract at all from the fact that ages around 18 and over are still very young adults, and therefore more susceptible/vulnerable to power imbalances that come from big age gaps.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
" I'm in a FB group of old school friends - all female. I posted about Sarah, explaining the circs for those not in the UK. One, a very right-on lawyer, thinks perhaps that piece of tit had been abused or tortured in childhood... I DONT CARE!! "

I just posted this on the Sarah Everard thread, but I think it fits here too. Bloody excuses for men.

Sorry to quote myself from yesterday, but this person has just suggested, apparently in all seriousness, that satanic rituals were involved o_O o_O o_O
I do care, but only from the point of view that I wish to understand the circumstances the produces these monsters so that policies can be shaped so that the world stops producing them.

There never seems to be any progress in terms of societal policies despite all the studies that have taken place regarding those who kill.

Regarding serial killers for example, there is a clear and demonstrable link between the things these people do and how they have been shaped as children. Almost always there are one of two things in their histories or both.

1. That they have suffered serious sadistic or sexual abuse as children.
2. That they have at some point in their development suffered a serious head injury.

It is time that we radically revise social services so that the abuse of children can be brought to an end as much as is achievable. If that means upsetting parents then tough tit, and I say that as a parent. We almost had the beginnings of this as a policy in Scotland but it had to be shelved due to parental shrieking.

Let’s try to actually tackle this problem.

Reactions: 3
My go to for these kind of scenarios is to imagine it's your daughter or niece- so anyone who claims that a 19 year old and a 50 year old is not weird, I call BS on that because no one in their right mind would want their 19 year old daughter to date a middle aged man. A 19 year old was only a child 2 years ago and simply does not have the life experience no matter how 'mature' or consenting she may be. Same as the sex work is work crew- again, would they be happy for their own daughters or nieces to be prostitutes?

Reactions: 18
Right well if age should not be portrayed as disgusting, why is it always much younger women than their male counterparts in said roles?

And no one is saying that older men are disgusting. I think you've missed the point entirely
Who cares? It could be a 25 year old playing at 35 year old female character and and 45 year old playing a 40 year old male character.

It’s make believe. Acting.

There are also thousands of real life couples out there with big age gaps. Are they disgusting? No.

it’s like there’s a new thing to be offended about every day.

I think sometimes, people use 'age' and 'consenting adults' to shield strange behaviour. For example, does anyone really think it's fine and normal for a 19 year old to be dating say a 50 year old just because the 19 year old is an 'adult'? This also to me ignores that age cut offs are largely arbitrary, but necessary for legal and policy reasons. We need, legally, an age that we can say 'this person is an adult now' and from that flows a whole host of legal rights etc. But that doesn't detract at all from the fact that ages around 18 and over are still very young adults, and therefore more susceptible/vulnerable to power imbalances that come from big age gaps.
I would think it odd certainly, because it would be in fact unusual. But I would also think it was none of my business.

• Sick
Reactions: 1
Every single time I look at this thread there's an argumentative weirdo :LOL: missed loads of the last one for the same reason. Someone @ me when normality resumes!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.