Gender Discussion #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've seen this loads too. 'If you think a little boy in a dress and lipstick is sexual you're the one with the problem' well I haven't actually seen a single person criticise it for those things at all. I don't think it's sexual, I do think it's weirdly out of place in a forced attempt to be woke and adds next to nothing to the plot of the ad, but the dress and lipstick itself doesn't bother me.
The thing is, the choreography is not supposed to read as “exuberant kid innocently wearing Mum’s dress” it’s supposed to read “drag queen”. The former… no problem. The latter… well I do think it’s sexualised actually. Drag isn’t for kids. It’s adult entertainment.

Also, those “gotcha!” idiots know full well that there’s a difference between knowing something is sexualised, and being turned on by it 🤡

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I don’t really understand the reasoning behind that line of thinking. One reason I didn’t like that ad was because I felt it glorified wanton destructiveness and entitled behaviour. If he could make anything sexual out of that then I suggest maybe he’s the one with the issue.
Both my lads liked swanning about in silky fabrics when they were little and they both had a penchant for nail polish (my eldest still does like nail polish) but it didn’t give them free rein to stomp about breaking things and bullying other children. They were just kids, playing and experimenting with things, not ‘divas’ or ‘drag’.
I think what I didn't like was the way he got away with that behaviour because he's a boy, and doing those things makes his special, wonderful and above being reprimanded.

But if a girl did it, she would be told off and shamed.

To me it's just an example of how girls are shamed for behaviour that is glorified and applauded when done by a male. And the fact he trashed his well behaved sisters painting was just the icing on the cake.

Reactions: 17
I think what I didn't like was the way he got away with that behaviour because he's a boy, and doing those things makes his special, wonderful and above being reprimanded.

But if a girl did it, she would be told off and shamed.

To me it's just an example of how girls are shamed for behaviour that is glorified and applauded when done by a male. And the fact he trashed his well behaved sisters painting was just the icing on the cake.
I've said this for years, about behaviour that is looked down on in women and girls being the next thing since sliced bleeping bread when men and boys do the same.

I crochet and sew, and when women do it it's a "craft", but when men do it it's "art". Women are cooks, men are chefs, etc. We can't bleeping have anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I've said this for years, about behaviour that is looked down on in women and girls being the next thing since sliced bleeping bread when men and boys do the same.

I crochet and sew, and when women do it it's a "craft", but when men do it it's "art". Women are cooks, men are chefs, etc. We can't bleeping have anything.
It's the classic girls mature faster thing. No girls are told to sit down shut up and do as you're told

Reactions: 9
It's the classic girls mature faster thing. No girls are told to sit down shut up and do as you're told
When girls are forced to sit beside the boys who behave badly, I never even thought about this before but I saw a post about this. I could never sit with my friends but had to endure the nasty boys throughout my school years, I hated it.

Reactions: 11
When girls are forced to sit beside the boys who behave badly, I never even thought about this before but I saw a post about this. I could never sit with my friends but had to endure the nasty boys throughout my school years, I hated it.
Snap. Reward for good behaviour is sitting with the little shits in the hope you rub off on them 🙄

Reactions: 7

It is litrially in every area of life.

Men are assertive, women are bossy
Men are latharios, women are slaggs
Men who do the smallest amount of child care are progressive selfless and amazing dads. Women are bad mother's for not sacrificing their whole being and life for the kids.
Older men are worldy, older women are hags.

Beauty and fashion are seen as a hobby for women or something to keep our girly minds occupied. But when men come in and tell us how it's done, it's a profession and he's an icon and we all need to take his advice. See Gok Wan, James Charles, Jeffrey Star,

I crotchet too and on my FB crotchet groups women create the most imaginative, beautiful, complex work with nothing buta hook and wool. But it's still seen as an old ladies hobby.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Good on all on the board for saying "women with Endo." none of this "people with uterus" nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Good on all on the board for saying "women with Endo." none of this "people with uterus" nonsense.

Checked the comments - nothing about trans people taking over. Endo is not glam enough for them. It’s very good that it’s focus is still on women.

Reactions: 19
Checked the comments - nothing about trans people taking over. Endo is not glam enough for them. It’s very good that it’s focus is still on women.
Depends. The Endo group I am on on FB we are not allowed to use feminine greetings "hey girls/ladies" etc as it's not "inclusive." If it wasn't such a useful group I would leave 🙂

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

this has really made my day , not just for the inclusion (how radical :rolleyes:) of the word women, but of a women's health issue. Well done whichever station this was

Reactions: 9
I really can't see how the JL ad is anything other than sexualisation of a young boy... I dont think that makes me weird, I think it makes me critical of big companies/ad agencies leaping onto the latest bandwagon in order to get press mileage out of their precious ad. I've seen the boy's mother in the DM, saying the kid was just having fun - which I'm sure he was, and it's not really anything to do with the boy himself. BUT the message has so much wrong with it.

Reactions: 8
Depends. The Endo group I am on on FB we are not allowed to use feminine greetings "hey girls/ladies" etc as it's not "inclusive." If it wasn't such a useful group I would leave 🙂
I wouldn’t be able to stop saying ladies as that’s how I refer to other women in a group. Absolutely bananas that to be inclusive of a tiny (non existent?) group we have to completely erase another. I wonder if the same is happening in erectile dysfunction groups 🤔

Reactions: 7
I agree re the John Lewis ad. I despise people who throw tantrums and scream "woke agenda!!!11" whenever an advert shows a Black person, a gay person, or a gender non-conforming person. But I agree this came across much more as an inappropriately young boy trying to imitate drag - not as innocent dressing up. The problem is not that a boy wants to wear a dress or makeup, it's that he's imitating something associated with adult sexuality. The other key difference between it and the version that showed the girl ballet dancing to Elton John is that in that one she didn't break anything, whereas this kid trashes the house

I think they look for what they want to see. How many of us have said we were tom boys as kids but we aren’t trans now? If any of us said we’re men now they’d say we knew we were trans when we were tom boy kids.
I agree, when Ellen Page came out there were people sharing pictures of her as a child wearing a flannel shirt and jeans and riding a bike to try to "prove" that she'd always been male. I was a stereotypically girly child but if I came out as "trans" I bet someone would try to point to the fact that I liked playing in the fields with our dog and didn't like pink as being a trans child

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.