Gender Discussion #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m NoT LiKe ThE OtHeR gIRLs ✨

Speaking of which, the replies to this tweet are really good.

I know nothing about Jane Fonda but is this in character for her? What is she doing with Demi Lovato, never would have guessed they’re in the same circles…and tbh I feel so bad for Demi they always look worse whenever I see them…

Reactions: 6
My friend has told me they're now going by 'She/They' pronouns and I just actually do not get it?

If you're 'she' why is 'her' so different? can anyone enlighten me on why people are doing this? Genuinely confused and I'd like to know what it means to the people who are doing it?
In that case, I think they mean you can use either she/her or they/them. However, I also think the whole thing is bloody nonsense and attention-seeking 🤭 people refer to others using "they" all the time and it doesn't make you special.

Think it was spoken about on here before, but there has been a spate of women in their 30s "coming out" and asking people to use she/they but still very much being female and, well, looking female. They want to be part of the LGBT community despite being very normal heterosexual women. Deciding they're now non-binary is a way of doing that without actually changing a single thing.

Reactions: 15
Just read today - Tove Lo Swedish depression and drugs songstress - said in one interview she was bi - then confirmed she had not had a relationship with a woman - married a man last year - celebrates Pride with ‘I’m queer and over here’ post.
I don’t want people to have to prove anything, but if you aren’t living a marginalised or oppressed life, isn’t it just performative? And doesn’t that minimise what gay and gender dysphoric people live? It’s better than it was but it’s not all equality all the time.

Reactions: 19
In that case, I think they mean you can use either she/her or they/them.
Having spoke to them it's isn't what they mean in this case, which is more confusing.

She doesn't want people to use 'her' as she doesn't identify with it? But she still likes 'she', so it's removing 'her' for 'they' but nothing else at the minute

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Yeah I have to say, while I am genuinely sympathetic to the plight of those who know they're trans from a young age
The thing is, I have an issue with this concept, i.e. someone knowing they’re trans from a young age (like this is the definition of “real/true trans”, as opposed to the fetishists and incels).

It’s a mental health condition. Any individual with enduring gender dysphoria from a young age needs help. Because if we accept that one cannot be born into the wrong body, then you need to investigate other causes - autism, abuse, trauma, etc. And they need help accepting their body as it is, not encouraged down a road of being a permanent medical patient, living as a facsimile of the sex you want to be.

The thing is, I have an issue with this concept, i.e. someone knowing they’re trans from a young age (like this is the definition of “real/true trans”, as opposed to the fetishists and incels).

It’s a mental health condition. Any individual with enduring gender dysphoria from a young age needs help. Because if we accept that one cannot be born into the wrong body, then you need to investigate other causes - autism, abuse, trauma, etc. And they need help accepting their body as it is, not encouraged down a road of being a permanent medical patient, living as a facsimile of the sex you want to be.
I agree with this so I'm not sure where the difference in opinion is, I think our positions are broadly compatible? So for you do you think that no children can know they're trans? For me I accept that there will be a very small number (much smaller than we're meant to believe at the moment) of people who seek medical transition as adults who also knew from a young age that's what they wanted to do. But I think these numbers are overegged and also used to justify poor 'treatment' decisions for everyone, and there should be a reverse assumption i.e. not base 'treatment' on the idea that these kids will still be trans when they're older, but base whatever intervention is given on the likelihood that they won't be trans when older (so, therapy to deal with issues, investigation into autism etc instead of hormonal intervention).

Reactions: 13
Yeah I have to say, while I am genuinely sympathetic to the plight of those who know they're trans from a young age and then seek surgery etc later/find puberty distressing, I can't get behind giving PBs to any child. The reason is that this is already known to be an affirmative action - the number of those who go on PBs coming off them rather than continuing onto other hormones etc is tiny. To be clear, my issue is not really that it's even affirmative, but that there is clearly a very real risk of harm for those who do decide they don't want to continue. I could not find much information or research on why those on PBs continue on the medical pathway, and I'm not convinced that for some/many it won't be simply that the idea of coming off PBs and going through puberty at such a late age is going to be horrible. There is no way of knowing which child/ren will decide they don't want to continue, so how can we give any of them PBs? The narrative that PBs 'stop the clock and buy you time to decide' is false. And this is before you even get into the fact that there is next to no research on the longitudinal effect of being on PBs yet, and the research that does exist is not positive.
Exactly this, it's too young and not reversible. If I recall correctly, Jazz Jennings (famed transwoman) was put on blockers very young and then didn't develop a fully grown penis, meaning that the gender reassignment surgery she underwent couldn't use the penis as normal to create a mock vagina (ie open wound) as it was still child sized. So if someone had decided to come off blockers and not transition, the damage may already be done and in some, if not all, cases it is irreversible.

I can't believe it has to be said that puberty isn't optional- and that messing with children's health needs full research, not just diving headfirst into it because it's woke

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Having spoke to them it's isn't what they mean in this case, which is more confusing.

She doesn't want people to use 'her' as she doesn't identify with it? But she still likes 'she', so it's removing 'her' for 'they' but nothing else at the minute
Yikes, no offense to your friend but that sounds odd and performative. I just don't see how someone can "identify" with she but not her. It also doesn't make sense, what @Bitofthebubbly wrote earlier is spot on and people will inevitably slip up.

Reactions: 9
Exactly this, it's too young and not reversible. If I recall correctly, Jazz Jennings (famed transwoman) was put on blockers very young and then didn't develop a fully grown penis, meaning that the gender reassignment surgery she underwent couldn't use the penis as normal to create a mock vagina (ie open wound) as it was still child sized. So if someone had decided to come off blockers and not transition, the damage may already be done and in some, if not all, cases it is irreversible.

I can't believe it has to be said that puberty isn't optional- and that messing with children's health needs full research, not just diving headfirst into it because it's woke
I agree. The sheer number of people that are now not identifying as the sex they were born has to have something to do with the mental health crisis. I think these kids are being failed.
Another thing I've often wondered if why people bunch LGBTQ all together when gay people are just having sex with people of the same sex whereas most trans people have undergone at least a significant period of serious mental illness to feel they actually want to change sex. I find it odd that they have all been lumped together as the 'different' bunch when I don't think it does anyone any favours.

Reactions: 11
Just read today - Tove Lo Swedish depression and drugs songstress - said in one interview she was bi - then confirmed she had not had a relationship with a woman - married a man last year - celebrates Pride with ‘I’m queer and over here’ post.
I don’t want people to have to prove anything, but if you aren’t living a marginalised or oppressed life, isn’t it just performative? And doesn’t that minimise what gay and gender dysphoric people live? It’s better than it was but it’s not all equality all the time.
How can you claim to be bi if you're not?
I wouldn’t claim to be a lesbian or bi because I've never had a relationship with a woman. It's great to be supportive but really 🙄

Reactions: 6
I agree with this so I'm not sure where the difference in opinion is, I think our positions are broadly compatible? So for you do you think that no children can know they're trans?
Yes and no. I believe that a child can feel like they want to be the opposite sex, but that this feeling is a result of being gay, autistic, or due to abuse and trauma.

The worst thing we ever did was call it “transgender”, legitimise it and act like it can be fixed by transitioning. A small proportion of trans people seem to transition and live happy, healthy and fulfilled lives, but I think they are a minority, honestly.

Exactly this, it's too young and not reversible. If I recall correctly, Jazz Jennings (famed transwoman) was put on blockers very young and then didn't develop a fully grown penis, meaning that the gender reassignment surgery she underwent couldn't use the penis as normal to create a mock vagina (ie open wound) as it was still child sized.
Jazz Jennings is actually a great example. Have you seen them lately? They are obese and miserable. Never went to college, no hope of a relationship (Jazz has no concept of desire or attraction). Jazz would probably be a happy gay man were it not for crazy parents forcing transition at… what, the age of 3?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I don't believe in trans. You can't be born in the wrong body. You are your body. A man can't know he's a woman on the inside, because he doesn't know what it feels like to be a woman. Liking male things does not make you male, liking female things does not make you female.

If a little boy likes girls stuff we shouldn't tell him his body is wrong and needs medically changing, you're meant to be a girl. We should tell him there is no such things as girls things and boys things and he can be whoever he wants to be, boys come in all shapes and sizes.

I do however accept that for some adults, having a sex change is the only way they can feel happy with themselves and so, as an adult they should be free to make an informed decision to do that under medical supervision. But adults have removed body parts and regretted it. So there is no way a child can be trusted to know that they really want to start a medical sex change.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I believe in trans but I believe it's extremely rare. I remember watching a documentary in about 1988 about a woman that transitioned and he talked so clearly about genuinely feeling like a boy and not a girl all throughout childhood. I've googled it and can't find it. It wasn't the one about Julia Grant.

Reactions: 7
I don't believe in trans. You can't be born in the wrong body. You are your body. A man can't know he's a woman on the inside, because he doesn't know what it feels like to be a woman. Liking male things does not make you male, liking female things does not make you female.

If a little boy likes girls stuff we shouldn't tell him his body is wrong and needs medically changing, you're meant to be a girl. We should tell him there is no such things as girls things and boys things and he can be whoever he wants to be, boys come in all shapes and sizes.

I do however accept that for some adults, having a sex change is the only way they can feel happy with themselves and so, as an adult they should be free to make an informed decision to do that under medical supervision. But adults have removed body parts and regretted it. So there is no way a child can be trusted to know that they really want to start a medical sex change.
I completely concur with this. Saying that you feel female is purely a fantasy about what being female is.

I think it's more accurate to understand it as being a statement about feeling deeply unhappy in the body that the person is in and with the expectations that society ascribes their biological sex. Even if someone undergoes hormone therapy and surgery they are can never become the opposite sex.

Reactions: 14
yeah I don't get it either, why does anyone care that if you had the chance you would have a relationship with the same sex when you are in a (very traditional heteronormative) relationship with someone of the opposite sex?

How can you claim to be bi if you're not?
I wouldn’t claim to be a lesbian or bi because I've never had a relationship with a woman. It's great to be supportive but really 🙄
I think you can, I would say I am probably bi as I have been attracted to women in the past, but never had a relationship with any, but as I said in another post what is the point of telling everyone? I would never feel the need to "come out" to my friends/family unless it were to announce that I was in a relationship with a woman, much less if I was married to a man :rolleyes: unless this is paving the way for a planned divorce for a relationship with a woman i guess 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I feel so glad that there is this page on Tattle where women can actually express themselves regarding gender critical opinions. I (foolishly!) like to browse reddit more frequently than I should and am trying to dump the habit because it's so easy to stumble upon comments calling women terfs and attributing all sorts of poisonous views to feminists. Today there's even stuff like this on the casual uk subreddit, which is usually 'safe' to look at, namechecking JK Rowling. Seeing things like this provoke an anxiety response in me - I start to feel on edge and my heart rate goes up. Seeing accusations of certain opinions being terfy makes me feel panic even though it's not directed at me personally - I'm despairing of how nonsense is being pushed on us but I get angry with myself for having this reaction. Does anyone understand?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Straight people identifing as bi comes back to this idea that people are what they say they are, not what they are based on their reality or actions.

How many women who have exclusively been in relationships with men,have thought about same sex relationships or fantasied about lesbian sex. That does not make you bi. You can't identify as bi. You are bi if you have sexual relationships with both men and women. If you go on to marry , you are still bi because of your actions in the past.

Just thinking about sex with the same sex does not make you gay. It's your actions.

Reactions: 7
There’s a recent post on r/books about a certain post by a man who enjoyed a ‘women’s’ book (Little Women) and how it’s disturbing - Link

They mention that a lot of the literature they studied at school was mainly by men and had protagonists that were men. I imagine a lot of differences exist (a comment mentions it in the Reddit discussion), but it’s definitely something that I agree with from my own experience

thoughts?

Reactions: 4
there's even stuff like this on the casual uk subreddit, which is usually 'safe' to look at, namechecking JK Rowling. Seeing things like this provoke an anxiety response in me - I start to feel on edge and my heart rate goes up. Seeing accusations of certain opinions being terfy makes me feel panic even though it's not directed at me personally - I'm despairing of how nonsense is being pushed on us but I get angry with myself for having this reaction. Does anyone understand?
I feel exactly the same as you when I come across “TERF” hate unexpectedly. It makes me feel attacked. I start questioning if I’m actually a bad person. Mainly, I despair at how quickly people can be brainwashed to hate a woman like JKR even though they actually haven’t read her essay on trans issues at all.

Reactions: 14
I believe you can be bi or gay if you have never had a same sex encounter, just like you can be straight and a virgin.
But if you are not defining your current dating pool to prospective dates, it doesn’t need to be an identifier on things like social media in my opinion.

There’s a recent post on r/books about a certain post by a man who enjoyed a ‘women’s’ book (Little Women) and how it’s disturbing -
were the women like, ‘scary’ little?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.