Gender Discussion #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i l
No, it would not be good to give puberty blockers to an 8 year old. That’s still within the normal age for the first signs of puberty, albeit on the early side. And by the sounds of it, the parent is talking about the beginnings of breast development only - not periods etc.

The downsides of giving an 8yo puberty blocking drugs vastly outweighs the downsides of seeing a few signs of puberty…

…well, it would be if you’re a normal parent who hasn’t transed their child.
also hasn't it been a trend for decades now that puberty has been getting earlier and earlier? Even so I am 34 and remember people girls at around 9 going through it

Reactions: 4
i l

also hasn't it been a trend for decades now that puberty has been getting earlier and earlier? Even so I am 34 and remember people girls at around 9 going through it
Yep, exactly. I’m dreading my daughter starting her periods because I’m pretty convinced she’ll get them before secondary school. But on the plus side, Milli Hill’s book about periods arrived last week, so I can give her a really good resource with zero gender woo-woo 🎉

Reactions: 8
My friend has told me they're now going by 'She/They' pronouns and I just actually do not get it?

If you're 'she' why is 'her' so different? can anyone enlighten me on why people are doing this? Genuinely confused and I'd like to know what it means to the people who are doing it?
“she’s over there doing they hair”.
(For arguments sake I’m not changing they to their since they specifically state that she/they is as their pronouns)

Instead of what normal people would usually say which is:

“she’s over there doing her hair”

I’ve noticed a lot of women changing their pronouns to ‘she/they’ and it’s weird. Is the word ‘her’ a dirty word now?

How does how someone refers to you when you’re not even in their presence improve or change your life in any meaningful way?

Reactions: 13
i l

I was 14 before I got my period, last one in my class.

Reactions: 3
(For arguments sake I’m not changing they to their since they specifically state that she/they is as their pronouns)

I’ve noticed a lot of women changing their pronouns to ‘she/they’ and it’s weird. Is the word ‘her’ a dirty word now?

How does how someone refers to you when you’re not even in their presence improve or change your life in any meaningful way?
Its nonsensical both in theory and practice, FFS. Do any of us feel *entirely female* whatever that even means?! Surely we all have what are deemed more traditionally feminine or masculine attributes (I've always questioned those boxes anyhow...) which surely means that we are all NB 🙄
Woman/female/she/her adequately describe my own version of what it means to not be a man/male/his/him 🙄
Its so convoluted and pretentious. OMFG it irritates me so much!

Reactions: 7
i l

I'm 32 and I got mine at 10

Reactions: 2

Exactly, by their logic, why is 'she' okay but not 'her'? Why does 'her' get replaced by 'they' when they are happy to "gendered" as 'she'... Makes no sense.

I was 14 before I got my period, last one in my class.
Same

Reactions: 4

I thought she/they meant you could use female pronouns or gender non specific. Not you can only use she or they.

It's all stupid because as long as you don't use male pronouns for most women, it's ok. We've all referred to people as they and their.

I thought she/they meant you could use female pronouns or gender non specific. Not you can only use she or they.

It's all stupid because as long as you don't use male pronouns for most women, it's ok. We've all referred to people as they and their.
Ohhhhh I see. Well it is still all nonsense :eek:

• Haha
As someone else said lots of girls are starting puberty younger now. Lots of theories about why this may be but absolutely no reason to give them puberty blockers with all the associated health risks IMO. Supporting girls who enter puberty younger than their peers should not involve medicalisation.

Reactions: 10
My friend goes by he/they/it and still dress as they did before. I’ve asked them if I can call them they and they said it’s okay. I know some people want to be called all three interchangeably…it’s just not very clear to me why you would want that as surely if your gender identity is that important to you you wouldn’t want different pronouns to be used as it surely creates more dysphoria?

As someone else said lots of girls are starting puberty younger now. Lots of theories about why this may be but absolutely no reason to give them puberty blockers with all the associated health risks IMO. Supporting girls who enter puberty younger than their peers should not involve medicalisation.
Agreed, they should be given factually correct scientific knowledge about periods, puberty, and not have the puberty process stigmatised as "bad".

Why don't they look into why girls are starting pubity early and resolve that, rather than pumping them full of hormones.

Another example of the medical community not caring about women's health.

Most definitely not. Starting your periods at a younger age is usually linked to weight I believe. In the old days children were much skinnier.

Reactions: 6
Why don't they look into why girls are starting pubity early and resolve that, rather than pumping them full of hormones.

Another example of the medical community not caring about women's health.
Girls aren’t being pumped with puberty blocking hormones though. Thankfully.

Only in cases of precocious puberty does the medical profession get involved. And there are good reasons for that, particularly relating to bone growth. But when we’re talking precocious puberty, we’re talking around 5 or 6.

As for researching why it’s happening earlier, I can’t really see the point. Some girls have always started their periods aged 9 or 10. There’s nothing to be gained from investigating why IMO, especially if the only options available are puberty blockers.

And like you say, no one gives a tit about women’s health anyway.

Girls aren’t being pumped with puberty blocking hormones though. Thankfully.

Only in cases of precocious puberty does the medical profession get involved. And there are good reasons for that, particularly relating to bone growth. But when we’re talking precocious puberty, we’re talking around 5 or 6.

As for researching why it’s happening earlier, I can’t really see the point. Some girls have always started their periods aged 9 or 10. There’s nothing to be gained from investigating why IMO, especially if the only options available are puberty blockers.

And like you say, no one gives a tit about women’s health anyway.
When I was young it was common for young girls to be given the pill or hormones to ease period symptoms. Something to do with losing too much blood monthly when you're young can lead to anemia.
I was put on the pill pretty much as soon as I started my period at 14.

Reactions: 2
No, it would not be good to give puberty blockers to an 8 year old. That’s still within the normal age for the first signs of puberty, albeit on the early side. And by the sounds of it, the parent is talking about the beginnings of breast development only - not periods etc.

The downsides of giving an 8yo puberty blocking drugs vastly outweighs the downsides of seeing a few signs of puberty…

…well, it would be if you’re a normal parent who hasn’t transed their child.
Yeah I have to say, while I am genuinely sympathetic to the plight of those who know they're trans from a young age and then seek surgery etc later/find puberty distressing, I can't get behind giving PBs to any child. The reason is that this is already known to be an affirmative action - the number of those who go on PBs coming off them rather than continuing onto other hormones etc is tiny. To be clear, my issue is not really that it's even affirmative, but that there is clearly a very real risk of harm for those who do decide they don't want to continue. I could not find much information or research on why those on PBs continue on the medical pathway, and I'm not convinced that for some/many it won't be simply that the idea of coming off PBs and going through puberty at such a late age is going to be horrible. There is no way of knowing which child/ren will decide they don't want to continue, so how can we give any of them PBs? The narrative that PBs 'stop the clock and buy you time to decide' is false. And this is before you even get into the fact that there is next to no research on the longitudinal effect of being on PBs yet, and the research that does exist is not positive.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.