Gender Discussion #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't post much, but this video got recommended to me on yt. I thought this woman made some great points.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have in the last year come to the conclusion that Drag is misogynistic in the same way blackface racist.
It's not that black and white. To me, it can sometimes be misogynistic if it's clearly disrespectul. However, most drag shows celebrate women... most gay men love them - look up gay icons for example. :D

Reactions: 2
Hollyoaks is continuing the "Brooke is a non-binary they/them" storyline even though they'd just introduced another non-binary character right before Talia Grant decided she was now "Tylen, they/them." Watching people praise an autistic young woman for this and reinforce the idea to her that she isn't really female just turns my stomach

Reactions: 6
It's not that black and white. To me, it can sometimes be misogynistic if it's clearly disrespectul. However, most drag shows celebrate women... most gay men love them - look up gay icons for example. :D
Yeah, i've found a fair bit UK drag to be fairly misogynistic and crude, some types of drag thrive on shock value especially. But then again there's a lot of drag that focuses more on fashion and some on pageants and much more in line with ballroom culture which I can appreciate. I think I mentioned on an old thread a good friend of mine is a drag queen so I've been quite close to it for years and the stuff we see on Drag Race recently is definitely pretty, eh sanitised in a way.

Reactions: 5
Yeah, i've found a fair bit UK drag to be fairly misogynistic and crude, some types of drag thrive on shock value especially. But then again there's a lot of drag that focuses more on fashion and some on pageants and much more in line with ballroom culture which I can appreciate. I think I mentioned on an old thread a good friend of mine is a drag queen so I've been quite close to it for years and the stuff we see on Drag Race recently is definitely pretty, eh sanitised in a way.
Yes for sure. It's nice to hear from someone with experience of it.

I find those who make sweeping generalisations about drag have very little experience of it.

Reactions: 1
I can't bleeping stand JVN.
We have a friend who has a 7 (?) year old child. We were at their house a few years back and the kid was obsessed with RuPaul and Drag Race. My husband and I spoke about it after and were absolutely horrified. We feel like children shouldn't be watching shows like that.
There seems to be a small contingent of straight Drag Race fans who encourage their kids to watch the show and takes them along to conventions… no. My kids would watch Drag Race over my dead body. It’s an adult show with adult humour. I don’t know what possesses them, tbh.

Hollyoaks is continuing the "Brooke is a non-binary they/them" storyline even though they'd just introduced another non-binary character right before Talia Grant decided she was now "Tylen, they/them." Watching people praise an autistic young woman for this and reinforce the idea to her that she isn't really female just turns my stomach
Oh wait, is this one of Carrie and David Grant’s autistic daughters? Sad.

Wait no, Queer Eye is great! It's so feel good, especially when they go to places that aren't very accepting of gay people but are won over when they spend time with the guys.

Also Drag Race is fun, too. Of course it doesn't allow adult females because it's all about dressing up as a woman. Has any cis female actually wanted to enter it though?!
https://www.feministcurrent.com/201...tique-from-feminists-and-the-lgbtq-community/ this is an interesting perspective on why some find drag offensive.

I'm sure there are talented drag queens out there who don't use misogynistic language about women, but they're not on Drag Race. Calling people 'fishy' as a put down for example.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
"I realise that liking women didn't make me less of one" says the incredibly homophobic, heterosexual male in r/actuallesbians...

Screenshot 2021-07-21 06.48.57.png

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
With all due respect a lot of the time people blacking up were celebrating a person too, take for example anyone blacking up as the Jamaican Bobsleigh team, that was never done to ridicule the team at all.

With all due respect a lot of the time people blacking up were celebrating a person too, take for example anyone blacking up as the Jamaican Bobsleigh team, that was never done to ridicule the team at all.
Agreed, as a white person if I dressed up as Rosa Parks or Beyonce I'd be castigated regardless of my intentions. I completely understand why because of the history of blackface etc but to me thr history of drag is very similar. I don't understand how one can be acceptable and the other not. Personally it doesn't sit comfortably with me.

I completely appreciate that a lot of people love drag but it's not for me.

Reactions: 12
I think years ago when it was adult entertainment it used to be funny and very rude. Now it’s mainstream it’s lost that edge and is just blah, not something I can watch

Reactions: 4
I generally enjoy drag race. I do wish though that they would accept Drag Kings. Wouldn't be so bad parodying female stereotypes if you had male stereotypes being parodied as well. Then you ask 'why are drag kings given less attention?' and the answer is that they are played by women.

I think for most of the men I see on drag race, its a way for them to express and play with femininty. The problem is when they begin to believe in the mirage (bimini and ginny lemon from the UK one last year.)

The pink haired individual has obvs been working very hard on their girly voice.

As for that flag, just call it “not like the other girls” and make it easy on everyone, ‘K?

• Haha
Reactions: 3
The pink haired individual has obvs been working very hard on their girly voice.

As for that flag, just call it “not like the other girls” and make it easy on everyone, ‘K?
Similar to being a girl but completely different to being a woman.
So you are scared of growing up and being a woman in this misogynistic world?

put your big girl pants on and deal with it like everyone not on tiktok manages

The worst one I ever saw was JonBenet Rams-Me

I understand that it's meant to be 'shock comedy' but... yeah... making sexual jokes about murdered children is too far in my book.
Christ … just no. The bad puns as names are always awful, but that is terrible

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.