GB News

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are they? There’s a big difference between a 30 minutes news show and a 24 hour news channel, which is what I’ve seen it compared to. Comparing it to it’s nearest equivalent (IMO) Sky News channel, it’s slightly ahead in viewing figures from what I read a few days ago.
Don't be silly!

The leftist naysayers will compare it to anything they feel makes it look bad/doing poorly! ;)

I really have to LOL that the 'stop funding hate' campaign against GB News has spectacularly backfired.

Those companies have learned a valuable lesson 'go WOKE, you will go broke''. Many more find the whole WOKE saga ridiculous, than the numbers who actually support it.

If GB News really was 'Nazi TV', as many hardcore leftists tried so hard to convince us it was, would OFCOM ever of granted it a licence? I think not.

Those very people need to learn that opinions opposite to what they believe in can be heard, whether they like it, or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Which shows do we think are working well and which ones need some work?
Had it on tonight (Wootton) after not tuning in for a while. Can't believe they are still having sound problems, and they just had a caption that said the Batley & Spen by-election is tomorrow, when it was actually held today. I know they meant the count but this is a simple, silly mistake and this sort of thing should have been ironed out by now.

I also think some of the interviews are way too long and tedious. I switched it on the other day when the Hancock story was breaking, and they were blabbering to some shopkeeper in Barnsley or similar, so I put Sky News on. I get that they are not rolling news, but I do think they need to run with a big breaking story rather than stick rigidly to the schedule.

Reactions: 2
Had it on tonight (Wootton) after not tuning in for a while. Can't believe they are still having sound problems, and they just had a caption that said the Batley & Spen by-election is tomorrow, when it was actually held today. I know they meant the count but this is a simple, silly mistake and this sort of thing should have been ironed out by now.

I also think some of the interviews are way too long and tedious. I switched it on the other day when the Hancock story was breaking, and they were blabbering to some shopkeeper in Barnsley or similar, so I put Sky News on. I get that they are not rolling news, but I do think they need to run with a big breaking story rather than stick rigidly to the schedule.
I'm starting to wonder if they have employed some people behind the scenes who are covertly, but deliberately trying to sabotage the channel.

It is possible, as it is well known that many in broadcasting are left leaning. What better way to finish off something you don't agree with, than by being part of it. Plus taking their money for a while until the mission is accomplished

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Are they? There’s a big difference between a 30 minutes news show and a 24 hour news channel, which is what I’ve seen it compared to. Comparing it to it’s nearest equivalent (IMO) Sky News channel, it’s slightly ahead in viewing figures from what I read a few days ago.
Yes this is true, you can't compare like for like at all. Don't know where I read about the viewing numbers but guess there is a lot of noise around GB News and a lot of misinformation too.

Yes this is true, you can't compare like for like at all. Don't know where I read about the viewing numbers but guess there is a lot of noise around GB News and a lot of misinformation too.
It makes good headlines. I read a recent one in a mocking tone that a welsh version of a children’s show had more viewers than it at one point, but strip away the spin and looking at it objectively, it makes sense. Televisions are entertainment boxes. I don’t know a single person in real life who use them to primarily watch a 24 hour rolling news channel and so the viewing figures reflect this. And then comparing that to other 24 hour rolling news channels on Freeview - the aforementioned Sky News, RT, Al Jazeera, it’s ahead of all three of them with its viewing figures. I think the BBC 24 hour news channels may get more.

Edit: I’ve only watched about twenty minutes of this channel a few days after it launched as I use my television as an entertainment box too and have no desire to watch 24 hour rolling news, so I have no skin in the game, but thought the attempts by the media (the rapidly fading print media, I hasten to add) was pathetic.

Tom Harwood just spent the entire of a Q&A with Jay Bhattacharya shouting over him, obviously freaked out that an actual scientist had different ideas to him...

Yel

The guy with a bit of a lisp is filling in for Collin and he keeps cutting off the woman as she struggles to get the lines out. Obviously got no time to wait about 😆

Just checked in on the website and it looks like the set lighting is slightly improved? Don't feel the need to turn my screen brightness up anyway.

They’ve not had a good week - firstly the knee incident with Guto on Tuesday which sparked controversy (nobody came out of it looking good) and now Alastair is out for a while due to injury. No sign of Andrew coming back either.

Shame if it is actually circling the drain because there is potential with it.

They’ve not had a good week - firstly the knee incident with Guto on Tuesday which sparked controversy (nobody came out of it looking good) and now Alastair is out for a while due to injury. No sign of Andrew coming back either.

Shame if it is actually circling the drain because there is potential with it.
Wonder why Andrew has abandoned it for a bit?

I think Andrew needs to come back quick smart! Poor mercy is so woeful, she can’t string a sentence together and has no chemistry with whoever they put her with. Yesterday Isabel Webster gave her a masterclass in how it should be done, but I do wonder if Isabel was told to not be as polished today in order not to make it too obvious.
I personally think that they should offer Eamon Holmes the 9am -noon slot along with a female presenter of his choice … my money is on he will pick Isabel.
Michelle dewberry is totally out of her depth. Lacks knowledge and good vocabulary skills to be on a prime time slot. Give that slot to the excellent Colin brazier. Recap the days news and events instead of talking about the same thing over and over again, which is all Michelle does, maybe a Saturday and Sunday early evening slot is best suited to Michelle?!
I love the afternoon sections and today on Gloria and Halligan Also McCoy and Phillips are great together. Love the weekend too.
Sorry can’t comment on the breakfast shows yet. Haven’t managed to catch them.

Reactions: 7
I think Andrew needs to come back quick smart! Poor mercy is so woeful, she can’t string a sentence together and has no chemistry with whoever they put her with. Yesterday Isabel Webster gave her a masterclass in how it should be done, but I do wonder if Isabel was told to not be as polished today in order not to make it too obvious.
I personally think that they should offer Eamon Holmes the 9am -noon slot along with a female presenter of his choice … my money is on he will pick Isabel.
Michelle dewberry is totally out of her depth. Lacks knowledge and good vocabulary skills to be on a prime time slot. Give that slot to the excellent Colin brazier. Recap the days news and events instead of talking about the same thing over and over again, which is all Michelle does, maybe a Saturday and Sunday early evening slot is best suited to Michelle?!
I love the afternoon sections and today on Gloria and Halligan Also McCoy and Phillips are great together. Love the weekend too.
Sorry can’t comment on the breakfast shows yet. Haven’t managed to catch them.
I agree with what you're saying. A switch up of a few presenters might do them a few more favours. The Guto situation was badly handled by them (they can't seriously call out cancel culture now?) but I think he's going to be associated with that incident from now on and wasn't that interesting of a presenter so I'd look for someone else to do his Sunday show going forward. Could Neil Oliver agree to do an extra day? Or even Nigel Farage in an extra slot, I know he doesn't sound like a serious signing for them but he is compelling and can handle a show easily.

I don't quite get why they selected Michelle to do a primetime show on her own, seems pleasant but not got enough presence and personality to be a compelling watch. I'd still say she can stay at the network but maybe taking on a few of the currently vacant weekend slots? I'd also go with Colin for her show and split up the Brazier/Muroki pairing. That leads me onto my next point...

Mercy just doesn't seem to be working as a main presenter and she's been paired with many now - Harwood, Harri, Stewart, Webster and of course Brazier. I actually think Tom Harwood was more commanding as a presenter than she was, he wasn't that bad in some of the segments I've saw of him (as much as he does annoy me). I'd incorporate her into the breakfast show and maybe that could allow Kirsty the time to get an additional show at weekends given her background as a sports presenter.

I'd also hire Eamonn (and I think he'd want to do it, he did work at TalkRadio before so isn't averse to a right wing station). Could they get Ruth as well and go for a rival show to This Morning and Jeremy Vine? If not, Isabel could be a good co-host, I think that they should use her more.

Wootton might be controversial but I think most channels need a 'bad boy' type presenter that's a bit of a loose cannon, his show has had better ratings than many of the others and I imagine that's for similar reasons as to why Piers was successful on GMB. And the show is a good fit for late nights so I'd keep him.

I agree with what you're saying. A switch up of a few presenters might do them a few more favours. The Guto situation was badly handled by them (they can't seriously call out cancel culture now?) but I think he's going to be associated with that incident from now on and wasn't that interesting of a presenter so I'd look for someone else to do his Sunday show going forward. Could Neil Oliver agree to do an extra day? Or even Nigel Farage in an extra slot, I know he doesn't sound like a serious signing for them but he is compelling and can handle a show easily.

I don't quite get why they selected Michelle to do a primetime show on her own, seems pleasant but not got enough presence and personality to be a compelling watch. I'd still say she can stay at the network but maybe taking on a few of the currently vacant weekend slots? I'd also go with Colin for her show and split up the Brazier/Muroki pairing. That leads me onto my next point...

Mercy just doesn't seem to be working as a main presenter and she's been paired with many now - Harwood, Harri, Stewart, Webster and of course Brazier. I actually think Tom Harwood was more commanding as a presenter than she was, he wasn't that bad in some of the segments I've saw of him (as much as he does annoy me). I'd incorporate her into the breakfast show and maybe that could allow Kirsty the time to get an additional show at weekends given her background as a sports presenter.

I'd also hire Eamonn (and I think he'd want to do it, he did work at TalkRadio before so isn't averse to a right wing station). Could they get Ruth as well and go for a rival show to This Morning and Jeremy Vine? If not, Isabel could be a good co-host, I think that they should use her more.

Wootton might be controversial but I think most channels need a 'bad boy' type presenter that's a bit of a loose cannon, his show has had better ratings than many of the others and I imagine that's for similar reasons as to why Piers was successful on GMB. And the show is a good fit for late nights so I'd keep him.

I wouldn't let Farage anywhere near microphone or TV/Radio station every again if I had my way. The man is a maggot.

There's right wing stations and then there's Katie Hopkins style radio stations...don't let GB news become hate filled.

Reactions: 4
I wouldn't let Farage anywhere near microphone or TV/Radio station every again if I had my way. The man is a maggot.

There's right wing stations and then there's Katie Hopkins style radio stations...don't let GB news become hate filled.
He's now been hired for a 1 hour show on Mondays - Thursdays at 7pm.

They won't go as far as Katie Hopkins or the types she hangs out with. Hopkins sealed her fate with the UK media after the comments made about Manchester that saw her out the door at LBC.

I called it this morning after his tweet. I loathe him so much h that it's the final kiss of death for me with GB news. He's a hateful man, a hooray Henry posing as "man of the people". He isn't and never has been.

I think signing Farage is a mistake. He would make people think the worse about the station.

I thought Nigel was already on the channel as a regular before this?

I do think there's a world of difference between him and Katy hopkins with the extremists she now targets and keeps company with.

By now the Andrew Neil slot has been done more by someone else than him. He might never come back

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.