Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Skewbedu

VIP Member
He can say what he likes on Twitter. I don't follow him, so can't/ wouldn't be offended by anything he says on there. Other than inciting people into violence or things of that nature, have at it Gary as far as I'm concerned.
And I do think the government abhorrent decisions need calling out.
If the BBC wanted to take any action over impartiality, it should have been when he ranted about Qatar on the World Cup coverage. Because that was not impartial or at the proper time and place.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Yel

Chatty Member
They should commission a documentary fronted by him, tweets are so shallow and unsuitable for complex issues.

People were calling the bbc Nazis because they've cut their budget for orchestras and the Nazis banned some music :rolleyes: . You can draw parallels between things to make viral posts on social media if you try, doesn't make it accurate or fair.

Yel

Chatty Member
Probably the right choice to not present it for the moment.

The BBC is the public broadcaster and they need to set out clear standards of what is expected by their highest paid and biggest names. The limbo they've been in over the last few days isn't tenable.

The BBC said it considered Lineker's recent social media activity to be a "breach of our guidelines".

Adding he should "keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies".

Socklicker

The BBC really screwed up here 😆

The presenters, pundits, commentators and players all reported to be boycotting them and MOTD tomorrow.

Blockster

I hate the stupid facker, so I will automatically agree with anyone who calls The idiot out.

Shut the fack up, Gaz. Why didn’t you say anything about the blood money your stupid greedy multimillionaire mates were taking from Qatar, or all the innocent migrants who died building that stadium. No, kept yer mouth shut, then, dint ya.
Sack him.
Spot on, man's an idiot.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
Vanessa feltz read out her BBC contract today about off air behaviour that brings the BBC into disrepute and thinks Gary's was probably the same:

At 2:35.20

susan1375

Chatty Member
I have a History PhD and the language is entirely comparable. And PS there is nothing 'illegal' about claiming asylum in a different country. That's what international law actually says. It is a mere quirk of history that you aren't in one of those boats, by the way.
I agree and also if the uk hadn’t been so quick to intervene in certain countries there wouldn’t be refugees coming over here.

Reactions: 6

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
He really wasn’t. He said the language used by the government is reminiscent of that used by Germany in the 1930s. Why would that offend Jewish people? Oh and if we’re throwing that card around. I’m Jewish from my mum’s side and she was originally from Germany so go figure where she was in 1940. People who take this comment as offensive should maybe realise that it would have been nice had people spoken up about their plight the treatment my family received in the 1930s. It might have saved my mum’s family. Her parents for one. You might not like Gary that’s fine. Some might even say he should stick to football (although again that’s stupid because we can all speak our minds). But at no point did he try and offend us Jewish folk. If you take that as such then well… אני חושב שאתה אידיוט
Well you may not have been offended, but others may well have been. He's ultimately comparing what the current government are doing to hate speeches about Jews, which ultimately led to millions of deaths. The government are trying to come up with a plan to stop migrants arriving and potentially dying in the channel. It's actually a way to solve a huge issue that the whole of Europe are yet to solve which is leading to thousands of deaths.

There's been around 25k migrant deaths since 2014 trying to reach Europe and so far there's been very little solution in general. That time in history is still a sensitive area for a lot of people and is something that shouldn't be compared to by the highest paid employee at the BBC on social media, whether that's not what he meant.

As I say, he could have simply apologised for those comments and still been vocal against the government, I doubt the BBC would have suspended him for that. All he's done now is give the anti-BBC brigade more excuses for them to use as to why it should be gotten rid of, all while potentially losing his own job.

I am sure he's a nice guy and many people that know him say he's a decent guy, but this ultimately I highly doubt his tweet is going to change the decisions that the government want to make on migrants.

Jen667

VIP Member
"Highly doubt"... well maybe do some reading and educate yourself so you can remove some of that doubt and actually know what you're talking about.
Oh I do a lot of reading and I'd consider myself to have knowledge of that period of history. I've never read any Nazi propaganda from the early 1930s that compares to the language used by our government today.

FoxyBingo

VIP Member
What was said to Gary's son is awful, but the pair of them need to pipe down now. They're both had enough attention over the past week to last them a lifetime. Keep your head down and move on. The attention they were getting was irritating a week ago. You've won your battle with the BBC, Gary, get off your high horse now and stick to being a football pundit.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Sounds more like the BBC told him to apologise and he’s refused. He won’t give a shit as he hosts on BT sport as well.

teaandgoss101

VIP Member
Count yourself lucky that you are not impacted by the 'mass immigration'. If you were refused treatment at an NHS hospital and given the reason that there were a 100 immigrants just off the dinghies being treated before you, it may be a different story. Similiarly when a wedding or celebration at a hotel is cancelled due to the four star Hilton being closed due to it being taken over by the government for immigrants.

All public services are affected when the country has this amount of extra people needing the resources, processing is costing £7 million per day. Everybody is impacted indirectly by this so called 'dead cat' story, so don't expect the government to be able to afford increased wages and more resources when finances are being stretched already.

Not against immigration for these people at all, there must be some harsh stories regading their plight to get here.
And unfortunately many of them will not have the language skills required to work in the UK. Learning a new language isn’t easy and it is no disrespect to those people I wouldn’t have the capacity to learn a new language if I had to move to another country. But unfortunately that means many will end up a life on benefits and not contribute to the economy adding further strain. I don’t think the UK shouldn’t help these people but it needs to be more practical. Surprisingly a lot of those coming over would rather stay in their own country they only come over for better living conditions ! Maybe we should be looking at how we make their lives better in their own country and invest in their economy. (Obvs not referring to those fleeing war )

neroli

VIP Member
With great power comes great responsibility. Sounds a bit ridiculous in reference to Lineker but I nearly fell off my seat when I heard he had 8 million followers on Twatter! I think my main problem is with Twitter ... it just doesn't seem a healthy way discuss important issues. I wish Gary had written a well-reasoned articulate od-ep piece in The Telegraph or something. I realise that's not how 'things' work these days. I'm really not that bothered ... I still read long-form essays and shit, I need to move with the times and live on soundbites. :rolleyes: Still it's nice to rant and rave here because I know only about 8, not 8 million, people will read it! :ROFLMAO: (Oh and I can't stand Lineker personality wise ... so that clouds my judgement a bit I admit).
Might be a bit difficult to continue promoting Walkers crisps now? When it comes to the crunch?

• Haha
When the heard moves .......

They really are a bunch of lemmings, not wanting to put a foot wrong. All tweeting that they won't be performing at their jobs today.

Am not for or against Lineker but the lemmings all having their say is a bit of a giggle. One man, the highest paid presenter and they all fall in line beind him in so called 'solidarity'.

Be lovely to have a day with no football. 😁 It is a 'crisis' by the way. Really? There is more to life than football.

Jen667

VIP Member
i don't think he was disciplined because of his general tweets about refugees, rather that one specific one where he is referencing Nazi Germany.

Reactions: 5

queenamber

VIP Member
The BBC are terrified that the licence fee will be scraped, which plays a big part in the Lineker crack down. Clarkson left the BBC years ago as did Neil.

Lineker agreed to abide by terms of a contract and then broke them. That's the bottom line.
They've always claimed to be impartial though. Just because Clarkson and Neil left doesn't negate the BBC's hypocrisy.

Spid

VIP Member
Anyone that does it is gonna be slagged off big time. If I were receiving a phone call from the BBC right now I'd be preparing an excuse like I'm out of the country.

Jaynefnw

Chatty Member
The poster wasn’t saying that the asylum seekers put up in hotels don’t get treatment etc while they are waiting for theirs claim to be assessed. They simply (and correctly) stated that they’re not illegal. Actual illegal immigrants can’t receive any benefits as they’re not officially here and in the system hence their comment about being under the radar. It is not illegal to come here and seek asylum regardless of what so many people say.
And as my post stated I was talking about the NHS treatment which the original poster said they didn't receive. I said they do receive NHS treatment and many other things. I never mentioned their illegal status