Gary Lineker

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Precisely!
The refugee Lineker accepted...
"The youngster, Rasheed, from the mountainous Balochistan region between Pakistan and Iran stayed with Lineker for 20 days while studying law in the UK."

20 days??? That's more like a homestay for a student exchange arrangement! It certainly wasn't a refugee "straight off the boat"!
I bet Rasheed was grateful to be in a mansion, easy to get away from Gary pontificating and being virtuous. From what I have heard GL is a grumpy bore irl although I think he is excellent on MOTD and as a football commentator

I have no kids, I use private healthcare including dentist and get my bins emptied once in a blue moon.

More than happy for my salary deductions to go towards someone seeking asylum seen as though I'm not getting much out of it 😂

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
I have no kids, I use private healthcare including dentist and get my bins emptied once in a blue moon.

More than happy for my salary deductions to go towards someone seeking asylum seen as though I'm not getting much out of it 😂
Same except I send the kids to private.

We fund plenty of scroungers who do naff all on the council estates as it is. Don't mind chipping in to help asylum seekers

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
Agreed. We need immigration to support economic growth, just not at the uncontrolled rate which happens when you get legions of people traffickers bringing in people without advance notice. That’s why most countries have always had organised immigration systems, and that works well. Britain just doesn’t have the infrastructure in place to handle the numbers, including a disproportionate % of them as crims with priors. Glad I don’t live in a south coast community and really feel for everyone on the front lines.
Perhaps one of the lasting legacies of Thatcher (that Blair failed to correct) was turning our workforce from one that was highly skilled in manufacturing into a tertiary one. That became all too obvious during lockdown.

The bill that the Tories has put forward will not stop nor control immigration. The horse has bolted. You have to be naïve to think Britain could or should stop immigration. This is what a lot of the right-wing press and commentators don't comprehend. And even if the bill gets passed, Farage and co will continue to shift the goalposts, just like Brexit.

"We want to control our borders"

"We don't want xxx people"

"Only migrants from these countries"

When you stop immigration completely, and have an ageing population you risk becoming another Japan. Just Google 'lost decade'. Saying that the Japanese economy is full of innovation and productivity. Can we honestly say the same about Britain under a shambles of a government, who have destroyed thousands of lives because of austerity. The irony is the greatest export this country has is football.

Most of the issues facing this country (NHS, waiting times, housing shortages, crime, education standards), is down to this government and the policies they've pushed. 13 years, austerity and they have been lining the pockets of their chums. I find it funny how the GB News lot who bemoan how bad America is ("defund the police!"), want to import 'cancel culture' and 'woke' into the UK.

The BBC is another one of these institutions which has been stripped bare. The obsession over 'impartiality' will be its downfall. As is the obsession over 'balancing' issues. "If someone says it's raining, and another person says it's dry, it's not your job to quote them both," as someone quite rightly said! "Your job is to look out the f**king window and find out which is true."

I don't have any sympathy for the corporation. But anyone thinks that 'defunding' a public service broadcaster is the answer, and turn our broadcasting terrain into Murdoch's wet dream needs their head tested. 40 years ago it could've worked, but TV has become so dumbed-down and full of reactionary bait.

• Heart
Let’s hope people still don’t mind “chipping in” to help fund so-called “asylum seekers” (when can we start calling them what they are - “Single, Healthy, Childless, Fighting Age, Economic Benefits Seekers of Indeterminable Origin”), when they’re ahead of you and your family in the queue to get emergency health treatment from a close to breaking NHS facility. Or when they’re causing harm and abuse to you and your family.

The bleedin’ heart liberals are unbelievably entertaining!

By the way, was it Gary’s Qatari-funded Al Jazeera salary he was trying to hide from the Tax Man, or his BBC salary?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Never liked Gary He comes across as a bit of a big headed twit with an ego as big as the planet with a bit of a god complex going on .

SAying what He said was a bit over the top BUT He is an attention bleep so not really surprised I am finding all the faux outrage from the other ' pundits' very funny tho

Reactions: 24
This is very good at explaining why it's inappropriate, insensitive (and hurtful) to make any reference to Nazi Germany.

I confronted Suella Braverman because as a Holocaust survivor I know what words of hate can do | Joan Salter | The Guardian

This survivor who educates on the Holocaust, called out Braverman for her language around immigrants earlier this year.

• Heart
Amazing what a comment can do, it's caused utter chaos, it escalated very quickly.

Reactions: 9
If you can’t see the similarities with dehumanising language then I’m not sure you’ll ever see it. Nobody is arguing that the situation isn’t awful but the blame isn’t being correctly allocated. It’s a fabulous dead cat for the government though especially due to the number of people who don’t seem to understand what was said. For the record, I find him irritatingly smug and wouldn’t want to spend any time with him but that doesn’t mean I can’t agree with him on some things.
---

Are you saying that this poor lady was attacked by migrants? It’s not clear in your post so I may have misunderstood. Regardless it’s obviously terrible but unfortunately and of course not everybody is good and well intended which is why the assessment process needs improving (which is massively adding to the numbers needing housing). However there’s plenty of wrong ‘uns born and brought up here, everybody needs to look after ourselves regardless of immigration, one of my closest friends had a similar assault with a bloke from Leeds, would you tar everybody from Leeds in the same way?
More black and white thinking. If people insist on reducing every comment like mine to find the racism/xenophobia so they can feign being morally outraged and feel superior, then we’ll just be running in circels.
Yes,
she was drugged and gang raped by three Eastern European men, who then abandoned her on the road like a dog.

God people like you make me mad.

• Sad
  • Heart
The difference between Gary and Jeremy Clarkson is Jeremy doesn't pretend to be something he's not!

Reactions: 15
The stark fact is that his tweet was entirely right - some of the language used 'we are being invaded', 'illegals' is absolutely the same language as 1930s Germany. If you're more concerned about what a football presenter says than the fact that this government is trying to do something in breach of international law to stop desperate people literally fleeing wars then sorry, you're the bad guy.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
Leaving politics to the politicians is the worst thing that ever happens; I'm glad Linekar and others speak up.

The BBC bowing to Tory pressure isn't impartial, is it!?

• Sick
Reactions: 14
The stark fact is that his tweet was entirely right - some of the language used 'we are being invaded', 'illegals' is absolutely the same language as 1930s Germany. If you're more concerned about what a football presenter says than the fact that this government is trying to do something in breach of international law to stop desperate people literally fleeing wars then sorry, you're the bad guy.
The jews the Nazis targeted were legal citizens . I highly doubt the language was the same.

Reactions: 3
The jews the Nazis targeted were legal citizens . I highly doubt the language was the same.
The 'othering' is comparable. Some of the language they use is very dehumanising and unnecessary.

"Highly doubt"... well maybe do some reading and educate yourself so you can remove some of that doubt and actually know what you're talking about.

Reactions: 8
"Highly doubt"... well maybe do some reading and educate yourself so you can remove some of that doubt and actually know what you're talking about.
Oh I do a lot of reading and I'd consider myself to have knowledge of that period of history. I've never read any Nazi propaganda from the early 1930s that compares to the language used by our government today.

Reactions: 6
If you sign a contract with the BBC for millions of pounds and are then in breach of that, you can expect to be told as such. You can’t sit on your big pile of cash and still expect to be able to say what you like.

Lineker swapped freedom of speech for lots of money when he signed on the dotted line. As he now clearly has a crisis of conscience, he should be happy to hand all that money back.

For context I think all politicians are self serving twats, especially the current lot. And I couldn’t give two shits about football.

Reactions: 10
Oh I do a lot of reading and I'd consider myself to have knowledge of that period of history. I've never read any Nazi propaganda from the early 1930s that compares to the language used by our government today.
I have a History PhD and the language is entirely comparable. And PS there is nothing 'illegal' about claiming asylum in a different country. That's what international law actually says. It is a mere quirk of history that you aren't in one of those boats, by the way.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
BBC doesn't have much of a leg to stand on with regards to impartiality while Sharp remains Chairman.

Lineker made comments about Qatar during the WC with regards to human rights issues yet nothing happened. Alan Sugar went after Mick Lynch during some of the rail strikes - hardly remaining impartial. (He has also publicly backed the Tories on his social media). It's clear as day why such issue is being taken with Lineker in this individual instance.

Reactions: 14