Gary Lineker

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The use of limited companies to reduce personal tax liability is clearly taking the piss though. As long as the government allow it I'm not going to criticise people for doing it, because if it's that much of an issue they could very easily change the law.
A lot of self employed people would prefer to operate as a sole trader but many clients will only deal with 3rd parties when they’re limited companies. That wouldn’t help with the old argument of employee vs contractor though.

Reactions: 3
A lot of self employed people would prefer to operate as a sole trader but many clients will only deal with 3rd parties when they’re limited companies. That wouldn’t help with the old argument of employee vs contractor though.
That's a fair point. But there will be ways to legislate around that for certain industries if necessary.

I have a History PhD and the language is entirely comparable. And PS there is nothing 'illegal' about claiming asylum in a different country. That's what international law actually says. It is a mere quirk of history that you aren't in one of those boats, by the way.
Then you'll know there was nothing subtle or nuanced about the Nazi's language or actions.

It's pretty obvious that him referring to Nazi Germany, which he was, is going to cause unrest and offense among the Jewish community. This is the reason why he's been suspended (not sacked) and he refused to apologise for his comments.

He could have settled all this by apologising for referring to that time in history, but still doesn't agree with the government's words/actions. I highly doubt BBC would have taken any action if that had happened, but he's doubled down and made things worse for himself.

Reactions: 10
It's pretty obvious that him referring to Nazi Germany, which he was, is going to cause unrest and offense among the Jewish community. This is the reason why he's been suspended (not sacked) and he refused to apologise for his comments.

He could have settled all this by apologising for referring to that time in history, but still doesn't agree with the government's words/actions. I highly doubt BBC would have taken any action if that had happened, but he's doubled down and made things worse for himself.
He really wasn’t. He said the language used by the government is reminiscent of that used by Germany in the 1930s. Why would that offend Jewish people? Oh and if we’re throwing that card around. I’m Jewish from my mum’s side and she was originally from Germany so go figure where she was in 1940. People who take this comment as offensive should maybe realise that it would have been nice had people spoken up about their plight the treatment my family received in the 1930s. It might have saved my mum’s family. Her parents for one. You might not like Gary that’s fine. Some might even say he should stick to football (although again that’s stupid because we can all speak our minds). But at no point did he try and offend us Jewish folk. If you take that as such then well… אני חושב שאתה אידיוט

• Heart
Reactions: 13
He really wasn’t. He said the language used by the government is reminiscent of that used by Germany in the 1930s. Why would that offend Jewish people? Oh and if we’re throwing that card around. I’m Jewish from my mum’s side and she was originally from Germany so go figure where she was in 1940. People who take this comment as offensive should maybe realise that it would have been nice had people spoken up about their plight the treatment my family received in the 1930s. It might have saved my mum’s family. Her parents for one. You might not like Gary that’s fine. Some might even say he should stick to football (although again that’s stupid because we can all speak our minds). But at no point did he try and offend us Jewish folk. If you take that as such then well… אני חושב שאתה אידיוט
Who was he referring to if not the Nazis?

Reactions: 4
Or better for himself since rival networks are now willing to pay more for him.
Was the same offer by ITV (3 times what Beeb are paying him apparently) also extended to Wrighty and Shearer who sided with Gary?

Bit awkward if not and they find themselves out in the cold. Doubt Gary’s going to bother wasting time negotiating something for his mates as well.

See how long those friendships last! Wright and Shearer were ill advised to look their gift horse BBC contracts in the mouth. They must know they’re all getting on a bit now and its any old excuse to get rid of them entirely. oh dear, ha ha ha ha.

Reactions: 8
Well you may not have been offended, but others may well have been. He's ultimately comparing what the current government are doing to hate speeches about Jews, which ultimately led to millions of deaths. The government are trying to come up with a plan to stop migrants arriving and potentially dying in the channel. It's actually a way to solve a huge issue that the whole of Europe are yet to solve which is leading to thousands of deaths.

There's been around 25k migrant deaths since 2014 trying to reach Europe and so far there's been very little solution in general. That time in history is still a sensitive area for a lot of people and is something that shouldn't be compared to by the highest paid employee at the BBC on social media, whether that's not what he meant.

As I say, he could have simply apologised for those comments and still been vocal against the government, I doubt the BBC would have suspended him for that. All he's done now is give the anti-BBC brigade more excuses for them to use as to why it should be gotten rid of, all while potentially losing his own job.

I am sure he's a nice guy and many people that know him say he's a decent guy, but this ultimately I highly doubt his tweet is going to change the decisions that the government want to make on migrants.

Reactions: 6
Was the same offer by ITV (3 times what Beeb are paying him apparently) also extended to Wrighty and Shearer who sided with Gary?

Bit awkward if not and they find themselves out in the cold. Doubt Gary’s going to bother wasting time negotiating something for his mates as well.

See how long those friendships last! Wright and Shearer were ill advised to look their gift horse BBC contracts in the mouth. They must know they’re all getting on a bit now and its any old excuse to get rid of them entirely. oh dear, ha ha ha ha.
Wright already works for ITV, he’s also freelance so moves between the two. The rumour I saw was that BT sport were after him. Would make sense as he used to work there on their Champions League stuff

Reactions: 1
Bt sport having purchased some new channels tnt etc are looking for him to come back ( he retired to watch Leicester with his son's) be a big pay day!! But will his mates 'solidarity' be repaid by a move with him??

This Gary Lineker story/protest is one of the most boring, uncontroversial stories of my lifetime and the sooner it is over, the better

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The BBC didn't sanction Laura Kuensberg, then political editor at the BBC, when she was on camera dancing the conga when Johnson became PM, and her clearly biased stance on Brexit, plus her undisguised glee when the leave campaign won. They have not sanctioned Fiona Bruce for her obvious right wing bias during BBC Question Time on several occasions. It seems with impartiality at the Beeb, they overlook it when it suits the Tory agenda, but condemn it and complain about it when it doesn't. That's been clear to me for years now.

Gary's comments were true, it was about language and rhetoric, it did not suggest intent regarding future actions. However the current government is far too populist, and appear to me to have failed to learn from the lessons of history. What planet are they on if they don't realise how dangerous it is to seek to control and manipulatr the media?

Gary Lineker did nothing wrong, his contract did not restrict his freedom of speech. He used his private account to express his opinion. God help us when that freedom is curtailed.

Reactions: 12
Left leaning people think the BBC is horribly right wing. Right leaning people think they're horribly left wing.

I've never seen any 'obvious' right wing bias on QT. There are some weeks where the audience appear to be more right/left leaning than others, but that's down to the demographic of the region they're in. I think Fiona Bruce does a good job.

Reactions: 5
Left leaning people think the BBC is horribly right wing. Right leaning people think they're horribly left wing.

I've never seen any 'obvious' right wing bias on QT. There are some weeks where the audience appear to be more right/left leaning than others, but that's down to the demographic of the region they're in. I think Fiona Bruce does a good job.
That's a very fair assessment, Jen667. It's easy to pick out one thing in isolation and accuse the BBC of leaning one way or the other, or to believe that when a journalist asks a politician a difficult question that it is indicative of their view, but I'm with you that I think BBC presenters and journalists on the whole do their best to be fair and balanced.

I saw the Queston Time piece about wife beating and Fiona Bruce was simply putting the story into perspective based on what is known about it. She would also have been criticised had she not done so.

And the only reason anyone has the political views they have is because of where they have grown up. Politics in this day and age is so polarising and the conservatives and the labour party will essentially always take the opposite view of each other to appease their electorate. There needs to be a political revolution where we can leave the past in the past and all move on together, otherwise we will all be arguing over the same shite for generations.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
That's a very fair assessment, Jen667. It's easy to pick out one thing in isolation and accuse the BBC of leaning one way or the other, or to believe that when a journalist asks a politician a difficult question that it is indicative of their view, but I'm with you that I think BBC presenters and journalists on the whole do their best to be fair and balanced.

I saw the Queston Time piece about wife beating and Fiona Bruce was simply putting the story into perspective based on what is known about it. She would also have been criticised had she not done so.
Fiona B was legally obliged to make that clarification. The way she's been attacked for it shows how incredibly ignorant people can be. I'm sure Stanley Johnson did hit his former wife but he's never admitted it or been prosecuted for it.

Nothing anyone says will change my views of him. He’s supposed to be impartial, or at least keep his opinions to himself as a BBC employee. I used to like him many years ago when he was a footballer. He’s got very bitter in recent years. He says we are taking less migrants than other countries - I say look at the size and population of the UK compared to France, as an example. The infrastructure cannot cope, it’s as simple as that. What is the solution? I don’t know. You cannot blame these people for trying their luck at a better life, but unfortunate we have to leave it to the politicians (it’s their job), much as Gary thinks he knows best.
other people who are meant to stay impartial as they work for the BBC such as Alan Sugar , are not, and they post pro tory comments on Twitter. Nothing happened to Alan Sugar. If Gary Lineker was pro tory then , it’s probably unlikely he would have been suspended/asked to step down etc. why should it work one way and not the other?

• Haha