Gardening thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morning ! looking for 2 bits of info please- my potatoes aren’t chitting ( in polytunnel)
also my african daisy seeds are very leggy - any advice re either - thanks
what type of potatoes are they? is the polytunnel warm enough? I put my in my kitchen window in an egg box.

what type of potatoes are they? is the polytunnel warm enough? I put my in my kitchen window in an egg box.
I think they are kerrs pink ( getting forgetful these days) have a mini greenhouse in the polytunnel might put them in there and see what happens🙏

I follow some IG gardening accounts and feel a bit inadequate when I see their seedlings. I can get seeds to germinate ok, but when it comes to growing things on mine always go leggy or don't grow any bigger. I know it's lack of light but there's not much I can do about it other than pray for sun on my window ledges.
Also, I was delaying sowing because people kept saying it's too early, then the end of March comes and somehow they have big seedlings with tons of roots - like they appear from nowhere so quick!

I got a grow light for my seedlings and it was really worth the money - I was struggling to get enough light even from my best windowsill and things were coming up leggy and leaning

Reactions: 1
I got a grow light for my seedlings and it was really worth the money - I was struggling to get enough light even from my best windowsill and things were coming up leggy and leaning
Which one did you get? I've looked at them before but never settled on buying one. I struggle with available plug sockets in my house too. They're in really random inaccessible places 😞

I follow some IG gardening accounts and feel a bit inadequate when I see their seedlings. I can get seeds to germinate ok, but when it comes to growing things on mine always go leggy or don't grow any bigger. I know it's lack of light but there's not much I can do about it other than pray for sun on my window ledges.
Also, I was delaying sowing because people kept saying it's too early, then the end of March comes and somehow they have big seedlings with tons of roots - like they appear from nowhere so quick!
As soon as the seeds germinate mine go into my unheated greenhouse, with a lid on the seed trays at night. If you don’t have a greenhouse a plastic storage box will do the job. again with the lid on at night or if the weather is bad. Doing this slows them down and encourages root growth instead of long spindly stems.
Also, sow thinly to give the seedlings space land water from the bottom up.

Reactions: 3
Hi all! A bit of advice please- I have strawberries using up 2 raised elho planters- i’d rather use them for lettuce- what could i move them into? I container plant mainly- back problems so don’t dig and avoid bending if I can- any ideas gratefully accepted!

Hi all! A bit of advice please- I have strawberries using up 2 raised elho planters- i’d rather use them for lettuce- what could i move them into? I container plant mainly- back problems so don’t dig and avoid bending if I can- any ideas gratefully accepted!
Hanging baskets work well. In a 12" diameter one you could have 4 plants if you use the water holding gel crystals and feed regularly. If it's particularly shallow you might be better off with just three though.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hanging baskets work well. In a 12" diameter one you could have 4 plants if you use the water holding gel crystals and feed regularly. If it's particularly shallow you might be better off with just three though.
Great idea! thank you! was thinking that or window boxes!

Reactions: 1