Gardening thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Right you lovely lot, I know there are some green fingered tattlers living amongst us.

I’m hijacking my father in laws empty greenhouse next week and sowing seeds ready for spring. Are those little paper pots worth getting? I had some breakages last year by turning out plastic trays when planting.

What’s everyone planting this year? I’m going for a blue theme as we’ve got quite a lot of lavender, which I’m hoping will survive the frost we’ve had recently.

Reactions: 1
I’ve found that the paper pots encourage mould, so if you’re going to use them definitely don’t over water and keep them separate so air can circulate.

I’m about to start sowing sweet peas - probably white ones like Swan Lake.

Reactions: 2
Do any of you have a hanging basket? We bought a hanging basket, what flowers would look really nice in it? As you can tell I don’t know much about gardening and flowers 😅

We ended up putting blue heather in ours as it lasts all year, unlike everything that we bought before it. It seems quite happy.

Bumping this to see if anyone can help. I’ve noticed in the past day or two we have loads of caterpillars by the front door and it’s freaking me out. I think they’re possibly attracted to the bush by the front door/in the front garden.

What’s the most effective way to get rid of them?

I’ve googled and moved our bird feeder to the front window in the hope it attracts the birds to eat the caterpillars but we live on a main road so the cars and people constantly passing might disturb the birds.

Are buxus balls good to put in borders?
Yes, I got quite a few two years ago and they all took very well. They were on offer in Tesco for £10 each and Home Bargains for £8 so couldn’t say no to that. They’re £40 in most places now. I’d recommend you get a pack of Buxus Feed when planting them. The only downside to any box hedging etc is the clippings, it goes everywhere. I’ve tried all sorts of techniques for catching the mess but I just resort to raking it up and sifting them through a garden sieve then cover over the soil with a top up of compost to make it look tidy.

I recently got a house with a garden and I’m a complete novice! I’d like to have a little flower bed in this space and it’s probably a stupid question but what do I need? Pull up all these weeds, put down a liner and top with soil/compost? Also open to suggestion of low maintenance/beginner planets as it were!

Attachments

I recently got a house with a garden and I’m a complete novice! I’d like to have a little flower bed in this space and it’s probably a stupid question but what do I need? Pull up all these weeds, put down a liner and top with soil/compost? Also open to suggestion of low maintenance/beginner planets as it were!
Congrats on the house! :)

I wouldn't personally put soil over liner, normally you would plant through liner (put it down and then cut an 'x' and peel it back to plant in) and top with gravel or bark to weigh it down/make it look pretty...

What sort of plants are you thinking? perennials like lavender or roses? or some bedding plants just for the summer?

I've always done well with snapdragons and fuchsias (totally slug proof) and geraniums are really good for people (like me) who aren't good at regularly watering them.

You could even do some sweet peas, grow them up some canes (make like a teepee with some bamboo sticks and string) and just pick them regularly to keep them flowering.

Gardening is just trial and error, plant what you think looks pretty and see what happens :)

Good Luck ❤

Reactions: 3
Congrats on the house! :)

I wouldn't personally put soil over liner, normally you would plant through liner (put it down and then cut an 'x' and peel it back to plant in) and top with gravel or bark to weigh it down/make it look pretty...

What sort of plants are you thinking? perennials like lavender or roses? or some bedding plants just for the summer?

I've always done well with snapdragons and fuchsias (totally slug proof) and geraniums are really good for people (like me) who aren't good at regularly watering them.

You could even do some sweet peas, grow them up some canes (make like a teepee with some bamboo sticks and string) and just pick them regularly to keep them flowering.

Gardening is just trial and error, plant what you think looks pretty and see what happens :)

Good Luck ❤
Thank you! I did think lavender would be nice. And good to know re slug proof cause there are soooo many slugs here!

Have a look at crocus.co.uk as you have filter by soil type, sun, etc. if there’s anything already in your garden that you like, pop it in a pot and you can move it elsewhere. Ferns and heathers are great filler plants and super hardy.

Reactions: 4
You don't need to put liner down unless you are gravelling it.

Reactions: 3
Hope everyone's gardens are doing well in the sunny weather...

Thought I would share some photos as mine has finally started flowering (very late this year). I'd love to see other people's photos too ❤
20230611_103915.jpg
20230611_103741.jpg
20230610_144903.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
What bulbs is everyone planting for spring?
I’m going to add some more white tulips as they seemed to last the longest, plus muscari, anenome, and I think I’ll have a go at these.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do?
I have a tree in my garden which we are going to cut down as it gets too big and hits my neighbours house. We cut it down the last two years but it’s so much work and we just read that it’ll keep growing to that size as you’re meant to leave it to grow then it’ll stop. But it’ll be too big hitting the neighbours house. At the moment it had a barrier and stones around it. But we’ll be left with the tree trunk there.
I’m thinking maybe a bird area on-top of the stones, a bird bath, bird boxes and maybe a few plants in plant pots. But does anyone else have any other ideas?

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do?
I have a tree in my garden which we are going to cut down as it gets too big and hits my neighbours house. We cut it down the last two years but it’s so much work and we just read that it’ll keep growing to that size as you’re meant to leave it to grow then it’ll stop. But it’ll be too big hitting the neighbours house. At the moment it had a barrier and stones around it. But we’ll be left with the tree trunk there.
I’m thinking maybe a bird area on-top of the stones, a bird bath, bird boxes and maybe a few plants in plant pots. But does anyone else have any other ideas?
I'm all about stumperies ;) tree stumps surrounded by lots and lots of ferns.... great for wildlife too :)

e.g.

1697283958204.png

Reactions: 2