Gardening thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I paid to have my garden landscaped last year it looked fabulous when it was first done, I’ve had part gravel/part circular lawn, they put double membrane down at the time but now I have tonnes of weeds growing though is this normal? 😩 I really don’t want to pull each one out as it would take forever but any tips please on how to get rid of them and stop them coming back? I Don’t know if its me being naive but thought I would have very little or none at all 🤪 any tips gratefully appreciated (I’m not a keen gardener so went for what I thought was low maintenance) and it now seems like more work then when I just had a lawn to mow 😒

I paid to have my garden landscaped last year it looked fabulous when it was first done, I’ve had part gravel/part circular lawn, they put double membrane down at the time but now I have tonnes of weeds growing though is this normal? 😩 I really don’t want to pull each one out as it would take forever but any tips please on how to get rid of them and stop them coming back? I Don’t know if its me being naive but thought I would have very little or none at all 🤪 any tips gratefully appreciated (I’m not a keen gardener so went for what I thought was low maintenance) and it now seems like more work then when I just had a lawn to mow 😒
Tonnes of weeds seems like the landscapers may not have done a great job :( quickest way of getting rid is weedkiller or even getting one of those blowtorchy things(which scare the crap out of me personally ;) although you'd probably still have to pull them eventually to make it look tidy and they may still come back).

Do you think it's weeds coming from underneath the membrane? rather than seeds being blown in or dropped (which would be less of them).
of course, we didn't get a dry summer which won't have helped.

I hate weeding...

Reactions: 1
Thankyou for replying, hard to tell but I really did not expect the amount of weeds I have got, trouble is I’m on a new build estate so who knows it could be a combination of everything 🙄🙈 either way it’s frustrating as I wanted low maintenance but now it looks like a mess, I have used the blowtorch thing in the past and managed to burn myself 🤣 so may not be a viable option, I will look at getting weed killer and maybe go back to the landscape gardener to see if he can offer any solution appreciate you responding ☺

• Heart
Thankyou for replying, hard to tell but I really did not expect the amount of weeds I have got, trouble is I’m on a new build estate so who knows it could be a combination of everything 🙄🙈 either way it’s frustrating as I wanted low maintenance but now it looks like a mess, I have used the blowtorch thing in the past and managed to burn myself 🤣 so may not be a viable option, I will look at getting weed killer and maybe go back to the landscape gardener to see if he can offer any solution appreciate you responding ☺
I've recently moved into a property where the garden soil is terrible, the earth under the lawn is full of builders rubble & general crap, which seems to encourage weeds & make it difficult to dig them up, so I've also used weed killer to try and reduce the problem. You could get a second opinion from a different gardener, also ask your neighbours how they manage theirs, if you know them well enough, as their soil is likely to be much the same as yours. Good luck!

Reactions: 2
Another question (lol) are they coming up in a line? That would show that they're coming up maybe between a gap in the membrane and you could scrape back the gravel and put another layer on it?

Anyone growing any veg this year?
I didn't last year but found I missed doing it (although I only ever have any success with tomatoes, because I'm a haphazard gardener) so I'll probably do some toms again this year...

I did find myself looking at dahlia tubers earlier this week, I'm a sucker for big showy flowers :)

Reactions: 3
Yes. I do every year, but last year was a washout and other than some chard, I didn't really get much. Chillis, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers just a few per plant. It was really demoralising.

Year before was a bumper crop for everything. The tomatoes went mad and I had to get the neighbours over to pick some as I had far too many.

Yes. I do every year, but last year was a washout and other than some chard, I didn't really get much. Chillis, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers just a few per plant. It was really demoralising.

Year before was a bumper crop for everything. The tomatoes went mad and I had to get the neighbours over to pick some as I had far too many.
My parents grow veg always have too much. End up with a lot of frozen blackberries, green beans and frozen tomato soup. Also loads of onions in the shed in the dark but they last a long time

I will try to, yes
---
Exactly the same for me, I got all sorts before - sweetcorn, peas, beetroots, carrots, gooseberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, tomatoes, cucumbers... but 2022 was unsuccessful for all of those!
---
I did find myself looking at dahlia tubers earlier this week, I'm a sucker for big showy flowers
Me too. I've got really huge dahlias on my allotment, they've survived a few winters without having to be dug up, I'm going to try some new ones in my new garden this year. I also want peonies and hydrangeas, and giant alliums

Bulbs are coming up, hellebores are looking lovely at the moment too. Put them bedding begonia seeds in the heated propagator, soon to do lobelia and sweet peas, and then onto tomatoes, peppers, and other veggies. I did early potatoes last year which worked well but I can't remember when I actually put them in 🤦🏼‍♀️. I hate january so tend to try and do all my garden planning now to cheer myself up.

Anyone trying any new seeds this year? I did purple (tequila) peppers for the first time last year and really liked them but not sure what else I'll try this year

Whats everyone been up to in their garden?
Planted some anemones & primroses, just to see some colour. Bought loads of seeds (cosmos, echinacea, sweet peas), also bought fence paint... really need to get on with that but... fence painting is a chore I don't fancy right now. Or ever! Need to also decide where to plant my new roses. I feel like I need an extra weekend to actually plan what I'm doing rather than just buying things and then not knowing what to do with them.

I want to grow some Potatoes just need to get a tub to grow them in 😊 . Also want some new garden furniture this year so will be shopping around for that.

Delighted to see bulbs coming up, including some snowdrops from my mum that originally came from her parents' garden that I planted in the green last spring. I'm trying camassias for the first time, along with the usual tulips and daffs. We moved into a new build in may 2022 and there was NOTHING here except crap turf on heavy clay/rubble so it has been a real labour of love to make a proper garden happen.

Anyone trying any new seeds this year? I did purple (tequila) peppers for the first time last year and really liked them but not sure what else I'll try this year
I've got a couple of packets of seeds (gifts) to try and grow this year... a wildflower mix from a wedding and some forget-me-nots from a funeral.
As I'm known as 'the gardener' (lol) in my group of friends it feels quite important to succeed. Forget-me-nots are easy to grow but I fear for the unknown wildflower mix...

I've started hacking back the roses now the winter is (hopefully) coming to a close and I can see that the peonies/daffs are sprouting. spring is just around the corner :)

I planted one of those mixes once. It went feral and not at all how I expected. I didn't think hard enough about exactly where to plant the seeds. Won't make that mistake again!
Oh it's definitely going in a pot...

Having said that I've done seed mixes that just never appear at all..... all or nothing isn't it ;)

I've still got mexican fleabane coming up from a plant that I bought a few years back (luckily I love it so I'm not bothered... but I do have to pull loads of it up every now and again

Who's pruning/tidying what now?
I'm just north of London and itching to get going on tidying up for spring as everything looks so scruffy rn.

I've been studying Gardener's world and on my hitlist for this weekend are:
Cutting back roses (patio, wild and climber)
Pruning clematis to strong buds
Cutting back ornamental grasses
Prune flamingo willow stems by about 1/3 and tidy up other trees (hawthorn, crabapple)
Cut back verbena bonariensis to the ground
Cut back dead stuff on rudbeckia, asters and other shrubs - is it OK to do this now before the risk of frost is over? They look so tit
Cut back buddleia a bit if necessary

Anything in there that makes you go "NOOOOOOOOOOO don't do that yet!!"
What are you planning to do imminently, and what are you going to leave for a bit?

I've got this dream of having a little patch of ground covered in snowdrops with them spreading each year. So every year I go the garden centre and buy a few pots of snowdrops to plant in my mini woodland area, never to be seen again the next year. Does anyone know why. I could understand if I planted them as bulbs in the autumn but I plant them in the green as I'm told they are likely to keep coming back but they never do. Same with cyclamens. Could it be mice?