Gardening thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ive been busy buying pots and getting things ready to plant my carrots and potatoes etc. Do you rake the leaves up on the grass or leave them?

Reactions: 1
I've got this dream of having a little patch of ground covered in snowdrops with them spreading each year. So every year I go the garden centre and buy a few pots of snowdrops to plant in my mini woodland area, never to be seen again the next year. Does anyone know why. I could understand if I planted them as bulbs in the autumn but I plant them in the green as I'm told they are likely to keep coming back but they never do. Same with cyclamens. Could it be mice?
Mine also disappear without a trace... my thoughts are maybe it's my soil type (it can get quite boggy, so maybe they rot). I've given up and just plant Daffs (favourite being 'Jetfire').

I've pruned the roses and cut the grass this week (because we had a brief moment of it being dry). Now the garden bin is full, so I wait for bin day before I can do anything else 😁

Reactions: 2
Ive been busy buying pots and getting things ready to plant my carrots and potatoes etc. Do you rake the leaves up on the grass or leave them?
Rake them as it causes bald patches.

I need some recommendations for decent climbers. We’re selling the house in two years but the garden is pretty bare. Need some fence climbers that are relatively cheap and grow fast.

Rake them as it causes bald patches.

I need some recommendations for decent climbers. We’re selling the house in two years but the garden is pretty bare. Need some fence climbers that are relatively cheap and grow fast.
Our garden is nearly two years old (new build). Best climbers have been Honeysuckle, followed by summer jasmine in a sunny warm spot. Also we got quite a big winter jasmine and splayed it out across a trellis on the fence, and it has filled a space nicely. Clematis also grow fast and look lovely at flowering time, but die back every year, so it depends what time of year you're planning to sell.

• Heart
Oh, and you could also try everlasting sweet peas. They are perennial and die back completely in winter. The flowers don't have any scent unlike annual sweet peas. Or just grow a bunch of annual sweet peas from seed the year you want to move, if you just want the effect

• Heart
Oh, and you could also try everlasting sweet peas. They are perennial and die back completely in winter. The flowers don't have any scent unlike annual sweet peas. Or just grow a bunch of annual sweet peas from seed the year you want to move, if you just want the effect
Thanks for all these! Will investigate

I want to grow some Potatoes just need to get a tub to grow them in 😊 . Also want some new garden furniture this year so will be shopping around for that.
I’d like to do potatoes this year- my sister put me off a few years ago - talking about spraying for blight😵💫 I thought it was beyond me- Have success with rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, courgettes, cucumbers, salad veg etc… but I fancy my own new spuds- any advice would be welcome🙏

I’d like to do potatoes this year- my sister put me off a few years ago - talking about spraying for blight😵💫 I thought it was beyond me- Have success with rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, courgettes, cucumbers, salad veg etc… but I fancy my own new spuds- any advice would be welcome🙏
Oh I'm a novice to growing Potatoes so I'm just going by the RHS website and hoping for the best 🤣 .

We grew potatoes for the last couple of years in potato grow bags. They grew fine and we did have some lovely potatoes, but not that many.

Reactions: 2
Still cross with myself after accidentally knocking the growing tip off a tree peony last weekend while pruning something else :( I hope I haven't permanently fucked it

• Sad
Vine weevil …. anyone got tips? have used nematodes for years and they make no difference. found grubs in a pot of rhubarb yesterday😔 I hate them … evil little b@stards

• Sad
Me: I'm not going to buy loads of plants this year - I'll just grow from seed, and see what comes up self-seeded in the garden.
Also me: Goes mental on Crocus.com and also spends £400 on two new pleached trees to screen the house that has popped up next door, after the conifers we put in last year both died.
In my defence, we're working with a new build garden and there's SO MUCH space we need to fill in, including quite a large area where the conifers were which now needs a complete rework.

Have started sowing seeds - mostly Salvias, snapdragons and Cerinthes, plus some herbs- because it makes me so excited to have seedlings to look after when it's still so cold and meh with nothing to do outside in the garden yet.

How are everyones plants/veg holding up in this terrible weather?
My roses, alliums, hydrangeas all seem to be absolutely thriving with green growth. No leaves back on acers or wisteria yet and the garden is like a bog. I don’t plant veg but have been trying to germinate sweet peas and petunias in the house but they don’t seem to be working . So very mixed bag at the moment!

Yes, same here - lots of things going gangbusters here, earlier than last year. I don't even think we're going to get another frost this year ( she says hopefully)

Morning ! looking for 2 bits of info please- my potatoes aren’t chitting ( in polytunnel)
also my african daisy seeds are very leggy - any advice re either - thanks