Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BigMavis

VIP Member
Honestly, I think if this had been 4 women found in these circumstances things would have been handled differently. Just my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Dizzy

VIP Member
I thought it was outstanding, one of the bbcs best. I don't even like Sheridan Smith but thought she was excellent, as was everyone.

I think its very easy to criticise the police for not joining the dots, but things are easier with hindsight. Also hard to tell where the blame lies. Having worked in public sector it could easily be lack of resources as much as anything. That said there was clearly an attitude problem from the beginning and the ball was dropped on several occasions.
I agree with some of this however, I read a little about it afterwards, interviews with the families of the young men who died and from their accounts, the language that the Police used alone should be subject to a review. Jack's parents opened the door to a police officer and were asked "Are you Jack Taylor's mum and dad?" When they said that they were, they were very bluntly told "Well he's dead" :cry:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

lastdis

VIP Member
Gabriels flat mate was lovely, if the real person is like him, he just seemed like a lovely man who was really looking after a younger man, helping him and all that. And even when he had died he was still fighting for him.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Bagpuss20

VIP Member
He was literally doing all this under the noses of the police.
Its frustrating and heartbreaking for those families who had to do their own enquiries

• Angry
  • Sad

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
I'm just watching part two now. I'm so ANGRY (just as I was at the time this all happened).

Had this been the murder of 4 young women, or 4 straight men, this would never have happened. The failures by the police in this case are unforgivable.

• Heart

Dontmissmuch

VIP Member
Yeah sorry I should have been clearer but that's what I meant to include. Their attitude just aggravated situations and they were tactless and heartless. I think that aspect is unforgivable as its just a basic human understanding.
I haven't seen the last episode yet but the one where Daniel had supposedly killed himself because of the guilt of 'killing' Gabriel and had written the 'note' and the police wouldn't let his partner or the step-mum see it..... was heartbreaking ..... there is following the rules and then there is using your compassion and empathy..... the fact that the letter wasn't even analysed .... I felt their frustration..... the way it was portraited the police were very 'it is what it is end of' attitude without much thought for the families.....

• Sad
Reactions: 14

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
I cannot even begin to express how I am feeling watching this.

Did the police really behave this way?

• Sad
Reactions: 12

Bagpuss20

VIP Member
Just on the final part.
I'm not sure enjoyable is the right word but its a good watch and a decent cast

GiggleBee

VIP Member
Just finished the first episode. Im so used to seeing Stephen Merchant in funny roles that its different to see him do something so serious.

Dizzy

VIP Member
I thought it was a really good piece of TV - everyone in it was excellent. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour by the Police, it was infuriating to watch. I read that the inquiry into the Police failings has been reopened by the IPCC or IOPC.

Reactions: 11

BigMavis

VIP Member
Dog walker was/is quite the character. She's very vocal about the police investigation. Imagine making a discovery like that twice!!!!

Reactions: 10

BigMavis

VIP Member
So many mistakes made, so much incompetence.
There are docs on YouTube about Stephen Port which are worth a watch. It really doesn't take a detective to connect the dots here, I don't know maybe its hindsight but I'm actually quite shocked they couldn't see what was go glaringly obvious or listen to the families.

Reactions: 10

Pushyplumb

VIP Member
Just finished watching it this evening. Really well written and acted series highlighting a ridiculous catalogue of errors and disinterest by the police. You don't need to be Columbo to think you should look into a suicide note that states don't blame the last man I was with because he had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: 9

BigMavis

VIP Member
Gripping. Great to see Stephen Merchant again. But what an incredibly sad story šŸ˜¢

• Sad
Reactions: 9

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Iā€™ve seen the first two episodes and itā€™s very uncomfortable viewing. One of the mistakes on their own would have bad enough but it was just one after the other.

I canā€™t imagine going in to report a missing person and the person on the front desk looking up a computer and telling the person their friend is dead! And how could you possibly pass on to Officers that someone has died of hanging when it was deemed a drugs overdose?!

That Family Liaison Officer made me want to punch myself in the face. Me and my husband were both shouting ā€œItā€™s An-THON-y!ā€ Why wouldnā€™t their FLO be from local policing in Hull and they liaised with the Met instead of that jackass phoning and asking whether the mum wanted the parts of the body taken for testing back?

After we watch the final part weā€™ll watch the documentary too. I commend everyone involved for speaking up, I canā€™t imagine how awful it must be to have your loved one murdered, only for the Police to handle it so atrociously. 2014/2015 we would expect the Police to not be homophobic but sadly that doesnā€™t appear to be the case.

Reactions: 8

Mark81

VIP Member
I thought it was outstanding, one of the bbcs best. I don't even like Sheridan Smith but thought she was excellent, as was everyone.

I think its very easy to criticise the police for not joining the dots, but things are easier with hindsight. Also hard to tell where the blame lies. Having worked in public sector it could easily be lack of resources as much as anything. That said there was clearly an attitude problem from the beginning and the ball was dropped on several occasions.

Reactions: 8