Formula 1

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had to laugh at what he said about becoming a father again at nearly 90. That his wife won’t be lonely once he’s gone

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Poison dwarf. Bernie did a lot of good for Formula 1, grew it into the global Motorsport it is today. But also was quite bad for F1, not moving with the times enough in many aspects.

After selling to CVC he was the CEO obviously tasked with maximising profits for CVC rather than focusing on maximising the show for the global audience - hence why we go racing in places like Russia, Abu Dhabi, Azerbaijan etc. They pay the massive hosting fees for races that don't always deserve it. Though I accept Baku is good every other year. And also why F1 disappeared behind paywalls in with its TV deals, like Sky in the UK. Huge mistake for F1 global audience and attracting new viewers. Liberty developing the streaming service is good for the existing fans in territories where it is available, but I worry if it isn't on traditional TV the sport may struggle with attracting new generations of fans. Hopefully the work Liberty are doing will help, especially opening the sport up to social media and Netflix with Drive to Survive will help.

Also he doesn't half speak a load of twaddle at times, but I do admit I think his barmy idea of water sprinklers at race tracks would be a good idea, at least at somewhere like Monaco which is a boring race in the dry.

I wasn't keen on where Bernie was going with race locations, very much turning his back on some of the older, traditional circuits and not giving a fig when they were struggling financially to hold F1 races. A lot of the newer circuits I found pretty dull tbh, and were clearly hosted there because 💰💰.

As a character though he was entertaining, there certainly won't be another one of him!

Biggest problem with the new super circuits is that they are all basically the same. All designed by the same person Hermann Tilke - hence the term Tilke-drome.

They need to have different designers for new F1 tracks or at least make sure the designer doesn't make the same track twice or however many times Tilke has in his case.

Good thing about 2020 is getting to go racing at these traditional circuits like Mugello, Portimao, and I'm very excited for Imola. Mugello was a incredible spectacle, if a bit worrying with the crash.

Reactions: 6
Biggest problem with the new super circuits is that they are all basically the same. All designed by the same person Hermann Tilke - hence the term Tilke-drome.

They need to have different designers for new F1 tracks or at least make sure the designer doesn't make the same track twice or however many times Tilke has in his case.

Good thing about 2020 is getting to go racing at these traditional circuits like Mugello, Portimao, and I'm very excited for Imola. Mugello was a incredible spectacle, if a bit worrying with the crash.
Mugello was such an entertaining race. I love a circuit with the old school gravel traps, certainly gives the drivers an incentive to keep their driving tidy!
It'll definitely be lovely to see Imola raced on again.

Reactions: 5
Mugello was such an entertaining race. I love a circuit with the old school gravel traps, certainly gives the drivers an incentive to keep their driving tidy!
It'll definitely be lovely to see Imola raced on again.
Gravel traps should be compulsory at race tracks. Proper punishment for going off. Compared to Paul Ricard where you can be a mile off track and still get back on to the circuit with no damage. Bloody awful track.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Can I just say how fabulous it is to be able to chat F1! Thank you so much @STJ_95 for making this thread as I was worried my post was slightly off topic on the Lewis thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Can I just say how fabulous it is to be able to chat F1! Thank you so much @STJ_95 for making this thread as I was worried my post was slightly off topic on the Lewis thread.
I must admit to wanting to make the thread for a while, I just didn't because I didn't think there would be anyone who wanted to chat F1 here. But then the Hamilton thread happened and I thought there's a few of us at least.

Has anyone been to any races? Or have ones they'd like to do?
In my dreams I'd win the euromillions lottery and one year follow the calendar around the world and see a whole season.

But realistically Silverstone, maybe Monza or Spa someday.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
We did Silverstone and camping 4 years in a row, children in tow for the first 3. Though we didn't book up for this year, and turns out it was probably the best year to skip after all!

I want to see a night race, most of the European races and I'd like to do Monaco at least once, just us adults, for the overall experience of the lavishness 😂. Don't think its a circuit I'd want to revisit again and again though.

Reactions: 1
We did Silverstone and camping 4 years in a row, children in tow for the first 3. Though we didn't book up for this year, and turns out it was probably the best year to skip after all!

I want to see a night race, most of the European races and I'd like to do Monaco at least once, just us adults, for the overall experience of the lavishness 😂. Don't think its a circuit I'd want to revisit again and again though.
That’s incredible you have done Silverstone 4 times and with kids! Agree about Monaco - I would just like to experience it but as a circuit it’s not one to repeat each year. I also cannot believe that Monaco is the only circuit that doesn’t pay to stage races! Bernie eh?!
So have you met any of the drivers?

Hi all just a post from me to make it clear. Daniel Ricciardo is mine.

As you were 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Has anyone been to any races? Or have ones they'd like to do?
I did Silverstone during the Schumacher era 04’for me that was as magical as Disneyland, insanely good tickets too.
I did Abu Dhabi when I lived in Dubai around 5 years ago. And Monza years ago.
I don’t think I’d rush to one for a few years but when I do I’ll be hopefully back in Italy somewhere!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.