Food & Drink #9 Vlad likes traazers on a bird

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you so much everyone 😘 ❤. Sorry newborn cluster feeding has taken over so I start a grunk then get waylaid!

Apologies as I know things have moved on but have enjoyed (is that the right word?!) the candid and honest birth chat. Also sorry for some of the horrendous unnecessary stuff people have had to go through due to such tit antenatal care that is so focused on baby/breastfeeding and not the whole picture. It’s absurd that we’re not better informed. Plus there’s no excuse as there is a way to make it informative as opposed to scary. Also why can’t we be trusted to handle the truth?

Women’s health is something I could talk about all day as I think attitudes to it really need to shift for the better. We are the best advocates for our bodies and should be trusted to know what is right or wrong and be educated (is that the term?!) accordingly?

@Begborrowsteal - agree 100% re NHS and that we treat it like it’s beyond reproach at times. I’ve had some fantastic experiences but also some horrendous experiences at the hands of the NHS. But so many people (and I understand why) feel uneasy about daring to say ‘sorry the service wasn’t great’.

@heretoreaditall2019 Your comment about healthcare professionals becoming bashful when you pull your knickers up had me hooting. And thank you - my midwife didn’t want to refer me to the mental health team as I’m already under a Counsellor - aware I won’t explain this right but maybe some others will know what I mean? Something about as I’m having ‘treatment’ under one professional to have me under another mental health professional receiving similar treatment could contradict/conflict?

Back to topic - food wise my other half made an amazing sausage tray bake (no Brenda-esq foreskin in sight) with loads of garlic and veggies. He used a recipe from the Quick Roasting Tin as a starting point.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Just popping by to say hello dear fraus. Haven’t been on these threads in ages. Catching up with the MT and watching a toddler is a full time job. Plus the eldest is back at school and I feel like I haven’t fallen back into school run routine yet. I wish I could catch up with you all in real time.

Huge congrats @EddieBeds! Baby news always makes me so happy.

To keep on topic, I’ve finally got my cooking motivation back after spending my first trimester being too tired to cook anything. Made a delicious fish pie at the weekend. And I bought Mary Berry’s new book so I’ll be giving some of those recipes a go next week.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Anyone have any good recipes with kale and leeks? got loads in veg box and basically don't like either... not together but anything is appreciated!
Leeks - if you really aren't keen on them as a veg, then use them as an onion substitute in things until they are gone. Cook them slowly and for a long time until they are almost melted down and they will give you that allium flavour without being all leeky at you. Base for a risotto, chilli, ragu, stew, anything like that.

If you want to try conversion therapy, then I have them just very slowly cooked in butter, a little oil and a pinch or two of salt to stop them browning too much. Into a frying pan, let them cook down as slowly as possible, with a cartouche on top if you want to be faffy about it. Cook until lovely and soft and stop just as they start to take on a new colour. Can add a bit of double cream here if you are feeling swanky.

Non-double cream ones are nice through mashed potato too. Could do that, then make potato and leeks cakes and fry them until they are nice and crispy and brown.

They are also nice roasted. Slice the leeks in half down the stalk if they are chunky, don't bother if they aren't, then slice the stalk into sizeable chunks (say 8 cm) toss in good oil of your choice, salt and pepper and roast them in a medium-ish oven, 180/190 until they are soft and starting to colour.

Kale... I love kale, so I am not much help for disguising it. You could make it into crispy seaweed, because yum. Slice thinly and add to stir fries and it will just be a green thing in there, not very kale-y.

I like it stirfried with garlic and chilli.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Leeks - if you really aren't keen on them as a veg, then use them as an onion substitute in things until they are gone. Cook them slowly and for a long time until they are almost melted down and they will give you that allium flavour without being all leeky at you. Base for a risotto, chilli, ragu, stew, anything like that.

If you want to try conversion therapy, then I have them just very slowly cooked in butter, a little oil and a pinch or two of salt to stop them browning too much. Into a frying pan, let them cook down as slowly as possible, with a cartouche on top if you want to be faffy about it. Cook until lovely and soft and stop just as they start to take on a new colour. Can add a bit of double cream here if you are feeling swanky.

Non-double cream ones are nice through mashed potato too. Could do that, then make potato and leeks cakes and fry them until they are nice and crispy and brown.

They are also nice roasted. Slice the leeks in half down the stalk if they are chunky, don't bother if they aren't, then slice the stalk into sizeable chunks (say 8 cm) toss in good oil of your choice, salt and pepper and roast them in a medium-ish oven, 180/190 until they are soft and starting to colour.

Kale... I love kale, so I am not much help for disguising it. You could make it into crispy seaweed, because yum. Slice thinly and add to stir fries and it will just be a green thing in there, not very kale-y.

I like it stirfried with garlic and chilli.
In Flumps we trust ❤❤❤ You give this thread validity. How are you feeling?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
In Flumps we trust ❤❤❤ You give this thread validity. How are you feeling?
Love all those ideas. Would also add leek and potato soup. You can also add finely chopped leeks to a cheese toastie, along with some onions.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm now dreaming of eating leeks 😍 I've only ever had them overboiled as a child and it put me right off them! Going to buy some and roast them to have with my Sunday dinner now and break this tradition! Thank you @Flumps

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Love your ideas @Flumps. I love leeks but I’ve never had them roasted before so I’m definitely going to give that a go.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
GRUNKA CHOO CHOO.

I am definitely going to forget people, but CONGRATS to @EddieBeds, much love to @Alansbigplate and all the other fraus who are feeling a little fragile (moi aussi ❤), and YES to @Breakdance Badass for the spangly socks.

Gutted I missed the tat chat. Super keeeeen to see frau ink but appreciate the triangulation opportunities are high. I love mine though and want to show them off.

gannet tattoo.jpg

BOOB GANNET

sea cow tat.jpg

FUGLY SEA COW

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Love the tats fraud. That sea cow is amazing @crystaleyesd

Super triangulating, but I care not, here are mine that I can take a picture of without moving.

Ladybird, some trad stuff (swallow and anchor) because I love the trad stuff. Robots. Owl (couldn’t get a good pic of all the roses and moths) and a stylised Ada Lovelace portrait.

Soz. Lots of photos

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Love the tats fraud. That sea cow is amazing @crystaleyesd

Super triangulating, but I care not, here are mine that I can take a picture of without moving.

Ladybird, some trad stuff (swallow and anchor) because I love the trad stuff. Robots. Owl (couldn’t get a good pic of all the roses and moths) and a stylised Ada Lovelace portrait.

Soz. Lots of photos
Dear heart, these are incredible! Particularly loving the almost fluorescent robot arm - it's so unusual and unique :love:

I badly want more, but last time I emailed a chosen artist about getting another one (a Siberian crane), she was confused at my request, I explained it again, then she just never replied :mad:. So many of the top London artists have mad waiting lists so I'm putting it on hold for the time being...

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Dear heart, these are incredible! Particularly loving the almost fluorescent robot arm - it's so unusual and unique :love:

I badly want more, but last time I emailed a chosen artist about getting another one (a Siberian crane), she was confused at my request, I explained it again, then she just never replied :mad:. So many of the top London artists have mad waiting lists so I'm putting it on hold for the time being...
Why thank you, they are even more fluorescent in real life, and less blurry.

I always want more. It takes ages to find the right artist for what you have in your head doesn't it? Then if it's a decent one they always have long waiting lists, I imagine post-lockdown they must be insanely long now. Disappointing she just stopped replying to you, normally I find if you pick the right artist for what you want, and have a nice idea, they are super-enthusiastic about doing it. Siberian crane idea sounds so cool.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Another cherry blossom on my foot!
@Flumps I ❤ your robin and owl and ladybird.
@crystaleyesd not sure easy it is for you to get to Brighton and of course there is the whole covid thing but this place in Brighton is lovely. Siberian crane sounds amazing! Love your manatee.
I love a foot tattoo and that one is so pretty and delicate.

I can't get tattoos on my lower half, so no leg or feet tattoos for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I love all the tattoos! I won’t triangulate myself and also most of mine are tit. I have half-sleeves, both done at 18 and on a whim. They’re really crap. I do have a few horror movie characters elsewhere which I love. When I have the pennies I’d love to get the half-sleeves covered up with something better.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.