Food & Drink #8 I like ALL the things

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It must have reeked when you went to move it?! I saw on Facebook, or maybe Twitter, that someone threw their old pumpkin into the garden one year, thinking wildlife would come along and eat it... and it somehow mummified! So now they have a (quite nice looking) everlasting pumpkin.

I think it's probably too wet here for that to happen though.
It did it basically exploded! But looked perfect on the outside because we’d painted it in gorgeous shiny acrylic to look like a unicorn 😰

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
@blurstoftimes it should come as no surprise that I am a huge fan of 'We' - I just love the weird descriptions of shapes and colours. It's superior to 1984 imo. Keep going, you will feel very accomplished :giggle:

@EddieBeds eek what a nightmare! Glad you are back home and safe and with a takeaway. Might go for one myself actually... #influenced

Spent the day with a pal on Hampstead Heath and managed to get a slot in one of the ponds. It was bloody freezing but you do feel great with all those endorphins. Now watching my beloved Papa Klopp and the boys 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 18
@Breakdance Badass omg I do apologise but I have never heard of such a thing, I consider c******** to be the most inoffensive of all vegetables!

@crystaleyesd But of course! How I would love to spend an evening drinking mezcal, eating crisps and discussing sci fi with you. I agree about the Way he describes numbers and people as shapes and letters, it’s such a clever way of putting you in the position of seeing their brainwashed, totalitarian world from his perspective! Like their whole way of conceptualising abstract ideas is entirely alien. What a bummer ending though. Are you a big sci fi fan too? @Pocahontas and I definitely first bonded over a mutual love of Asimov (and the simpsons!)

@EddieBeds so glad to hear all is ok and hope you have a lovely relaxing evening tonight!

Im really intrigued to hear Why the cows is crap? I used to love Dawn o’porter’s insta but she kind of annoys me now

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just made a nice white cob with my youngest and it smells goooooood. Hope you’re all having a splendid weekend. We’re not going anywhere as my eldest has a mahoosive blister from his new school shoes and he ‘cannot wear shoes this weekend not even flip flops, so don’t ask me, ok?’
View attachment 240413
I need this bread in my life.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Joining the cucumber chat, my family is obsessed with his very simple salad. We have it pretty much every week https://www.budgetbytes.com/cucumber-mango-salad/

But, going back to my roots, this is the cucumber salad of my childhood. I replace the sour cream with alpro Greek soya yogurt and a squeeze of lemon. And the dill needs to be fresh, not dried. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221075/gurkensalat-german-cucumber-salad/

What I'm really hankering after is a good panzanella (that cob!) But Mr Harry is coeliac, and it just doesn't work with gf bread. Need to wait for his night shift in a few weeks so I can go on another gluten dinner binge.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am watching 3 billboards outside ebbing Missouri, but the language is spoiling it. Is it really necessary? ☹

Reactions: 6
I am watching 3 billboards outside ebbing Missouri, but the language is spoiling it. Is it really necessary? ☹
I loved Three Billboards so much. Made me laugh and cry, as all the best films do. Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand are brilliant.

• Heart
@crystaleyesd But of course! How I would love to spend an evening drinking mezcal, eating crisps and discussing sci fi with you. I agree about the Way he describes numbers and people as shapes and letters, it’s such a clever way of putting you in the position of seeing their brainwashed, totalitarian world from his perspective! Like their whole way of conceptualising abstract ideas is entirely alien. What a bummer ending though. Are you a big sci fi fan too? @Pocahontas and I definitely first bonded over a mutual love of Asimov (and the simpsons!)
I don't read much sci-fi to be honest, although I enjoy watching it. Dune is amazing ofc, and I really like Ursula le Guin, but I've never read any Asimov! I keep meaning to read some Strugatsky too - have you read Roadside Picnic? The film is so incredible I'm just not sure the book could compete... I'm glad you finished We though! And YES to mezcal margs and a frau book club!

I've been in a bit of a book rut ever since the PhD - my mind has gotten stuck and so I've been reading environmental history books in my spare time 😬 I did buy this the other day though, which I'll start tomorrow! I don't know why but I really love translations (Russian in particular) - the words have a lyrical quality that you don't get in English novels. Fitzcarraldo Editions haven't let me down once. Fraus should check out Olga Tokarczuk who just won the nobel prize!

DSC_1145.JPG

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Every time I see a mention of chilli jam, I wonder if this is the new crisps... (paranoid android)

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I tried to read The Cows, @Breakdance Badass, and gave up. Rubbish indeed! I’d never read any of her stuff before but this one had good reviews so I thought it’d be worth giving it a go. Nope, nope, nope.
@MarmiteExtract same here, I’ve never read any of her stuff before, and never will again. Truly awful 😩 @blurstoftimes you know the way DO’P is now irritating in Inata? Well that’s kind of the way the book is annoying. Trying a bit too hard!

@Harrybosch you need to spoiler *whispers* cucumber, the very mention makes me feel physically ill 😷

I loved 3 Billboards, I don’t remember any bad language, but then I love somewhere that the word c*** is used as a term or endearment

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Haha, @Spoonfulofjam, worry not — it was a very literal question about jam! I've not noticed any crisps chat for a few days, unless it's all gone over my head. Although there have actually been a few mentions of Marmite recently, so maybe I should join you in your paranoia 😅

@Captainmouse we have very different opinions here, as I love dialogue that turns the air blue. Hope you enjoyed the film anyway!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Not quite a chilli jam but a divine Six Pepper Jelly from https://www.smygoodness.com/shop - if you like food history, Emmerline who runs Smy Goodness has some really good food based podcasts that are worth a listen.

Had a nightmarish night last night and ended up in maternity triage - thankfully all ok, turns out it’s a sensitive cervix and nothing more alarming (though was alarming at the time). The Dr and midwife were so lovely and reassuring but I didn’t get home until gone 2am so running on empty. Fortunately my mum came to be with the toddler so the other half could be with me (albeit in the car park - duck you Covid) so am lucky on that front. I think dinner will be take away - possibly Chinese followed by an early night for all.

Catching up on this thread and the MT was a good distraction last night so thank you Fraus.
omg my love I hope you’re doing better today?? So glad you’re not alarmed though. ❤ Did you get to sit on one of those squishy black mattresses - they’re heaven why does no one make chairs that cosy ?!

catching up and laughing along. At a stage where I have brain power to read again, started devotion today - it’s sort of freaking me out already so not sure why I’m reading it as we still don’t have back curtains (ETA the 20th 😫). I really loved self care (can’t remember author) and think a lot of tattlers would as it’s so apt about #girlboss commercial feminism.

• Heart
Just jumped over to this thread to see what it’s all about.
First page you discuss The Detectorists, which is one of my favourite comedies, and I recommend to everyone.
Then I jumped to this page and found you talking about 3 Billboards, an incredible film and one I recommend to anyone who will listen!

Do I need to GrunkaLunka all the threads, or can I jump in here? Please tell me this doesn’t move as quickly as Monroe’s threads else I won’t be able to keep up!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Just jumped over to this thread to see what it’s all about.
First page you discuss The Detectorists, which is one of my favourite comedies, and I recommend to everyone.
Then I jumped to this page and found you talking about 3 Billboards, an incredible film and one I recommend to anyone who will listen!

Do I need to GrunkaLunka all the threads, or can I jump in here? Please tell me this doesn’t move as quickly as Monroe’s threads else I won’t be able to keep up!
@OhhBacon the advantage here is it’s like a hop and off city tour, you don’t need to catch up as we go round in circles!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.