Food & Drink #6 Mouthfeel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@LavaFlake oooh exciting, LOVE a house project so much, it's a shame the space on insta has been over run by gross grabby influencers hankering for a free marble bathroom as it's so fun to chat about!!

@crystaleyesd will have to live vicariously through the coven instead 😂 when is your next date!

@Nottonightbabe and @Pocahontas thank you for not loling at the dumb question - sadly this year I fucked the tree up, I got some guys over to cut it and they just asked if I wanted it cutting it down to 'where it was before' and I agreed not realising that basically meant decapitating the poor thing! Husband was horrified as all the beautiful blossom was gone, so I don't have plums to share. I think I'm wary because I don't know when they'll be ripe & worry about them being grown amongst pollution, also the possibility of vermin (not that I've ever seen rats or mice in our garden) making it unhygienic? We also have a blackberry bush but I'd never eat off that either I'm too nervous, there's a really sweet old man on our road who goes out ~foraging for them and will always offer me some of his hauls if he sees me on his walk back, I always think no no no think of the urine sweetie!!

Reactions: 9
@heretoreaditall2019 I usually pick the high up blackberries if I am going to eat them while I'm out and about.

If I'm taking them home then just pick the nicest and rinse them when I get home.

Freshly picked blackberries are so yummy, nothing like the supermarket ones which I find a bit meh.

You should be brave and try a few.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
As this is a safe space can I ask the dumbest plum question going - I have a plum tree in my garden, is it actually safe to eat them? I don’t know if these things are decorative or what. Usually they just fall off and we let birds eat them.
My adult self cannot think of any plums that aren't safe to eat. However, I feel it is safe to confess here that my childhood (ahem, possibly tending slightly into adulthood) self firmly believed that purple plums were *incredibly* poisonous. I do not know why I believed this. I feel it is somehow related to a story I read as a child, but no idea what one, and googling 'sick plums fairy tale' has, perhaps unsurprisingly, not shed any light.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Fraus, can we talk plums?

I have some lovely big Vic plums that were sent in my veg box, but the kids have decided they aren't keen on them. Any inspiration for nice things to do with them?
Plum cobbler? All the other suggestions are making me salivate.

Am waiting to see my Consultant - basically there was a balls up the other day and I was booked in to see him for a routine appointment but he wasn’t even at work that day so had to come back today. The kicker is he’s on call so having the longest wait (not whingy-appreciate he’s dealing with those that urgently need his attention) but with a mask on in a stuffy waiting area it feels so long. Also the appointment is likely to be so brief as well ironically.

The receptionist’s here are so impatient with non-English speaking patients - beginning to wind me up massively. They barked at a lady who didn’t have her mask pulled up but was so clearly in labour - another lady and I piped up that she was in labour and needed help but they were so slow to move! What I also find annoying is that they clearly have a system in place as I’ve seen several interpreters come in (strangely all male so far - strange as in given its antenatal you’d expect females no?) so they have the resources available to help but just increase their volume when talking to non-English speakers.

Tattle is keeping me going however - still laughing at the thought of Michael Caine and it being read out in court 😂. @heretoreaditall2019 hope the hearing test goes well - sounds ridiculous they want her asleep (though I guess it’s to see her reaction?) but like you say if you had the witchcraft to make her sleep on command you’d be rich beyond measure!

Breaking news Fraus, I sent my other half off in search of the cherry bakewell yum yums and he’s taken the last pack!! So the reward of a yum yum is in sight. Oh and hopefully getting a Thai takeaway tomorrow night - we have a really good one in our town which we discovered during lockdown. When we lived in London we had some really good local ones which I still miss now.

Lastly well done if you’ve made it to the end of my ‘I’m bored’ TedTalk!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Dearest fraus, I've been influenced! Decided to have a (two, actually, being a greedy goblin - or, the bread is actually really small) cheese toastie! Not having any of my usual chutneys, I went with muhammara dip (spicy red pepper and walnut) to complement the cheddar and it turns out my maverick brain has invented something delicious totally by accident and whimsy. YOU'RE WELCOME.

DSC_1072.JPG

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Im about to spend the weekend at the MILs. Send thoughts and prayers. Travelling for 2 hours with kids, because shes too scared to get on a train herself 🥴
Is your MIL my MIL?? Won’t get the train by herself and does drive but only drives to places she knows??!
Good luck!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Fraus, can we talk plums?

I have some lovely big Vic plums that were sent in my veg box, but the kids have decided they aren't keen on them. Any inspiration for nice things to do with them?
if they are a bit too tart to eat i would suggest soaking them in gin for a couple of weeks.
Don't peel them, just prick with a fork and put in bottle/jar with enough gin to cover. After a few weeks (should keep forever!) you can drink the plummy gin. I would roast the plums with loads of brown sugar and have with icecream....

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Is your MIL my MIL?? Won’t get the train by herself and does drive but only drives to places she knows??!
Good luck!!
Mine doesnt drive. Made up a host of excuses and played the sympathy card. So several trains and 2hrs later, we are still not there 🤯🤯🤯 too scared to get the train alone. Fanny.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Mine doesnt drive. Made up a host of excuses and played the sympathy card. So several trains and 2hrs later, we are still not there 🤯🤯🤯 too scared to get the train alone. Fanny.
Sorry, the situation isn’t funny but the added on fanny just made me proper laugh and then when I was asked why I waffled, then I thought about ‘traaazers’ and laughed again. I think my son thinks i’ve gone bonkers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Plum cobbler? All the other suggestions are making me salivate.

Am waiting to see my Consultant - basically there was a balls up the other day and I was booked in to see him for a routine appointment but he wasn’t even at work that day so had to come back today. The kicker is he’s on call so having the longest wait (not whingy-appreciate he’s dealing with those that urgently need his attention) but with a mask on in a stuffy waiting area it feels so long. Also the appointment is likely to be so brief as well ironically.

The receptionist’s here are so impatient with no English speaking patients - beginning to wind me up massively. They barked at a lady who didn’t have her mask pulled up but was so clearly in labour - another lady and I piped up that she was in labour and needed help but they were so slow to move! What I also find annoying is that they clearly have a system in place as I’ve seen several interpreters come in (strangely all male so far - strange as in given its antenatal you’d expect females no?) so they have the resources available to help but just increase their volume when talking to non-English speakers.

Tattle is keeping me going however - still laughing at the thought of Michael Caine and it being read out in court 😂. @heretoreaditall2019 hope the hearing test goes well - sounds ridiculous they want her asleep (though I guess it’s to see her reaction?) but like you say if you had the witchcraft to make her sleep on command you’d be rich beyond measure!

Breaking news Fraus, I sent my other half off in search of the cherry bakewell yum yums and he’s taken the last pack!! So the reward of a yum yum is in sight. Oh and hopefully getting a Thai takeaway tomorrow night - we have a really good one in our town which we discovered during lockdown. When we lived in London we had some really good local ones which I still miss now.

Lastly well done if you’ve made it to the end of my ‘I’m bored’ TedTalk!
Firstly hope you’re not waiting for too long - and good luck with your appt! Apparently the NHS are opening it up so women can have one bedside visitor now which is lovely! Also noticed this massively, actually felt quite bad for a lot of the women for being patronised with slow and loud voices asking them if they understand??? at the end of every sentence :/ It felt like the HCPs were a lot shorter and less compassionate with them too. Makes me feel sad that not everyone has a lovely pregnancy / birth experience as it’s such a special time ☹

Good luck!!
Mine is the same too! I wonder what age it is where you think duck those trains?! Ngl sometimes I wonder if it’s some perverse power play 😬

@Pocahontas dreaded bottom berries 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Fanny 😂😂😂

Firstly hope you’re not waiting for too long - and good luck with your appt! Apparently the NHS are opening it up so women can have one bedside visitor now which is lovely! Also noticed this massively, actually felt quite bad for a lot of the women for being patronised with slow and loud voices asking them if they understand??? at the end of every sentence :/ It felt like the HCPs were a lot shorter and less compassionate with them too. Makes me feel sad that not everyone has

Mine is the same too! I wonder what age it is where you think duck those trains?! Ngl sometimes I wonder if it’s some perverse power play 😬
Yes, absolutely! x

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Firstly hope you’re not waiting for too long - and good luck with your appt! Apparently the NHS are opening it up so women can have one bedside visitor now which is lovely! Also noticed this massively, actually felt quite bad for a lot of the women for being patronised with slow and loud voices asking them if they understand??? at the end of every sentence :/ It felt like the HCPs were a lot shorter and less compassionate with them too. Makes me feel sad that not everyone has a lovely pregnancy / birth experience as it’s such a special time ☹
I think I have bored on about this before, but part of my Uni course was independent research into women's experiences of pregnancy and birth, and a large part of my dissertation (social constructionism aplenty) featured examples from it to illustrate how differently healthcare is experienced depending on personal circumstances and the perception of those by healthcare professionals. I don't mean to be unpleasant about the NHS, I think it's a beautiful concept, and admire the vast majority who work in it, and it's something we should be proud of and hold on to, but like a lot of societal situations (particularly involving power, with privileged knowledge being the construct of power in this case) people's circumstances have a huge impact on the experience.

Mind you, you do always get some odd folks. I have a memory of a Macmillan nurse ringing me in the days after my cancer diagnosis. After nearly everything she explained to me (mostly contact details for support, nothing clinical) she said 'Now, do you understand?' To be scrupulously fair it might have been part of the script I guess they are working with people at the height of distress, but the tone was of someone speaking to an 8 year old and it had no authenticity to it, if you know what I mean. I'm still quite a lot ashamed (about the only time in my life I have ever been rude to someone trying to help me) that by the 4th or 5th repetition of 'Do you understand?' I snapped 'Yes, I have cancer of the cervix, not of the brain'. My very own JM snippiness, right there.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

@Pocahontas dreaded bottom berries 😂
So eventually, via a midwife my Consultant admitted defeat and will ring me later - completely get if you’re on call you can’t predict the work load. Our hospital is now allowing your birth partner to be the designated visitor so if you end up staying in/having a c-section you can at least have a visitor while you stay now which is great. I find the HCPs are at either end of the spectrum - as in can’t do enough to help/lovely or bitter and short like you’ve described. Giving birth is also such a vulnerable time - imagine not sharing the language of your health care professionals let alone then being talked at/patronised must make it so scary let alone take away from the experience.

I think I have bored on about this before, but part of my Uni course was independent research into women's experiences of pregnancy and birth, and a large part of my dissertation (social constructionism aplenty) featured examples from it to illustrate how differently healthcare is experienced depending on personal circumstances and the perception of those by healthcare professionals. I don't mean to be unpleasant about the NHS, I think it's a beautiful concept, and admire the vast majority who work in it, and it's something we should be proud of and hold on to, but like a lot of societal situations (particularly involving power, with privileged knowledge being the construct of power in this case) people's circumstances have a huge impact on the experience.

Mind you, you do always get some odd folks. I have a memory of a Macmillan nurse ringing me in the days after my cancer diagnosis. After nearly everything she explained to me (mostly contact details for support, nothing clinical) she said 'Now, do you understand?' To be scrupulously fair it might have been part of the script I guess they are working with people at the height of distress, but the tone was of someone speaking to an 8 year old and it had no authenticity to it, if you know what I mean. I'm still quite a lot ashamed (about the only time in my life I have ever been rude to someone trying to help me) that by the 4th or 5th repetition of 'Do you understand?' I snapped 'Yes, I have cancer of the cervix, not of the brain'. My very own JM snippiness, right there.
I’d have snapped too Flumps - seriously not what you need in that situation. Also agree that while the NHS is brilliant it also has it’s flaws. And it’s not boring - I find it really interesting, thank you for sharing.

To keep on thread the yum yums did not disappoint! They were as delicious as those of you who have tried them have said *chefs kiss!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
3hrs it took. 3 hours. 🤯

A chicken curry from Wasabi helped 😋 shes not a home cook, so freezer dinners this weekend 🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 14
3hrs it took. 3 hours. 🤯

A chicken curry from Wasabi helped 😋 shes not a home cook, so freezer dinners this weekend 🙃
Driving or on the train?
I can only take about an hour of my mother in law 😂 good luck mate. Like Silver, ‘fanny’ made me LOL.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.