Food & Drink #6 Mouthfeel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good luck with the journey and visit Begborrow!

Crystal, your plum French toast looks delicious!

We’re going out for a meal tonight in a cute pub that’s not too far away. Will take some pics of my food if I can get away with being teased for it by my eldest 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Your cookie looks amazing! That and a cup of tea 🤤 Also are your walls Dulux white mist?

Ohhh it’s pretty much the weekend, have you guys got fun takeaway / life plans? I’m trying to plan a fun date with our +1 after being inspired by @crystaleyesd being so happy and free, although ngl we’re talking more nature park and a yum yum from the bakery than any hanky panky.
Alas, they're whatever the new build came with 😂I moved into my partner's place a couple of months ago and he's done a pretty good job in furnishing it but I'm itching to redecorate a lot of the rooms already. Hope that doesn't sound ungrateful! A lot of the walls definitely already need a lick of paint, which is one of the few DIY things I can actually do.

Big life plan for me this weekend is hopefully buying a car now I have my new job lined up and I know I have a salary coming in. I'm hoping it's more of a buyer's market at the moment. I have my eye on a couple of Ford KAs/Fiestas that have clearly just come off lease hire, so fingers crossed I can get a good deal!

@crystaleyesd that looks so tasty oh my goodness!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Fraus, can we talk plums?

I have some lovely big Vic plums that were sent in my veg box, but the kids have decided they aren't keen on them. Any inspiration for nice things to do with them?
Plum tart tartin? They’re perfect in pastry and all gooey and caramelised.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Yes, kiss goodbye to your spontaneous park hanky panky for the next 18 years dear heart :LOL:. I'm afraid I'm letting the side down somewhat this weekend - have a deadline that I've let get away from me (THANKS tattle) so I'm having a work weekend, although tempted by a self indulgent takeaway...

What are mein fraus favourite things to get from a takeaway - any cuisine? Inspire me!
We have so many chains here, but we do have great turkish and lebanese places though. Favourite way of eating is like tapas, dip in to everything! Same with a thali from an indian restaurant 😋

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Alas, they're whatever the new build came with 😂I moved into my partner's place a couple of months ago and he's done a pretty good job in furnishing it but I'm itching to redecorate a lot of the rooms already. Hope that doesn't sound ungrateful! A lot of the walls definitely already need a lick of paint, which is one of the few DIY things I can actually do.

Big life plan for me this weekend is hopefully buying a car now I have my new job lined up and I know I have a salary coming in. I'm hoping it's more of a buyer's market at the moment. I have my eye on a couple of Ford KAs/Fiestas that have clearly just come off lease hire, so fingers crossed I can get a good deal!

@crystaleyesd that looks so tasty oh my goodness!
That cookie looked the business! Also love your nail polish - so glam!
Hope you get a good deal on the new motor. It’s quite exciting buying a car.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

I have some lovely big Vic plums that were sent in my veg box, but the kids have decided they aren't keen on them. Any inspiration for nice things to do with them?
pork or gammon chops are nice with a plum sauce, plum pie or crumble with hot custard is good. Stewed with ice cream.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
@Nottonightbabe - I like plums just roasted to make them even sweeter, then with greek yoghurt (or indeed ice cream). Toss them in sugar (muscovado or light brown would be good for instant caramel-ness), or honey or maple syrup. Spices like star anise or cinnamon are lovely with them.

Or a plum crumble or cobbler, but I do love a crumble. Nutmeg and cinnamon in the crumble topping.

Oh, I made plum ice-cream once (much hassle as I don't have an ice cream maker) but it was delicious. Roasted the plums first (I think).

Plums make a lovely chutney too, but I don't know how many you have. Or (fancy) Mostarda, for cheese.

And jam. I like plum jam.

Savoury - I think they're wonderful with duck, cut through the richness and fattiness. I'd just cook them down into a sauce with an onion, little sugar (or maybe pomegranate molasses because fancy), red wine and stock. Have with duck breasts. I reckon they'd roast alongside a whole duck nicely too, again maybe star anise or coriander here.

Make a Chinese plum sauce from them? Have with duck and rice. Or pancakes and shredded duck.

There's a recipe in Feasts by Silvena Rowe (Northern European cooking) for a stew of rabbit with plums that I've always fancied trying. I made a version once with chicken, which then reminded me that there's a roast in Diana Henry's 'From the Oven to the Table' for chicken with plums, honey and pomegranates. Ah, found it reproduced here:

Sounds lush to me, but I like meat and fruit together very much.

Big fan of the plum, me.

Yes, kiss goodbye to your spontaneous park hanky panky for the next 18 years dear heart :LOL:. I'm afraid I'm letting the side down somewhat this weekend - have a deadline that I've let get away from me (THANKS tattle) so I'm having a work weekend, although tempted by a self indulgent takeaway...

What are mein fraus favourite things to get from a takeaway - any cuisine? Inspire me!
I have a hankering for South Indian takeaway at the moment. I miss the one where I used to live. I want masala dosa and sambar and coconut chutney. And a side of chicken 65.

Or Nepalese. Chicken Momo. Lamb daal or tawa lamb and rice. Bread. Side of aubergine bhaji.

Dim sum. Though that's difficult in takeaway form.

My local pizza place does woodfired pizzas and my favourite has njuda, red onion, cherry tomatoes and sweet chilli sauce on it. Which all sounds too much, but bloody isn't. It's a hell of a pain to eat, but spicy pizza is my favourite.

Meze would be nice. Lots of bread. Hummus, taramasalata, baba ghanoush or moutabal. Borek. Those Turkish sausages I can't remember the name of. Or proper Turkish kebab with rice and bulghar wheat.

I need to stop thinking about takeaways.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
@Nottonightbabe - I like plums just roasted to make them even sweeter, then with greek yoghurt (or indeed ice cream). Toss them in sugar (muscovado or light brown would be good for instant caramel-ness), or honey or maple syrup. Spices like star anise or cinnamon are lovely with them.

Or a plum crumble or cobbler, but I do love a crumble. Nutmeg and cinnamon in the crumble topping.

Oh, I made plum ice-cream once (much hassle as I don't have an ice cream maker) but it was delicious. Roasted the plums first (I think).

Plums make a lovely chutney too, but I don't know how many you have. Or (fancy) Mostarda, for cheese.

Savoury - I think they're wonderful with duck, cut through the richness and fattiness. I'd just cook them down into a sauce with an onion, little sugar (or maybe pomegranate molasses because fancy), red wine and stock. Have with duck breasts. I reckon they'd roast alongside a whole duck nicely too, again maybe star anise or coriander here.

Make a Chinese plum sauce from them? Have with duck and rice. Or pancakes and shredded duck.

There's a recipe in Feasts by Silvena Rowe (Northern European cooking) for a stew of rabbit with plums that I've always fancied trying. I made a version once with chicken, which then reminded me that there's a roast in Diana Henry's 'From the Oven to the Table' for chicken with plums, honey and pomegranates. Ah, found it reproduced here:

Big fan of the plum, me.

I have a hankering for South Indian takeaway at the moment. I miss the one where I used to live. I want masala dosa and sambar and coconut chutney. And a side of chicken 65.

Or Nepalese. Chicken Momo. Lamb daal or tawa lamb and rice. Bread. Side of aubergine bhaji.

My local pizza place does woodfired pizzas and my favourite has njuda, red onion, cherry tomatoes and sweet chilli sauce on it. Which all sounds too much, but bloody isn't. It's a hell of a pain to eat, but spicy pizza is my favourite.

Meze would be nice. Lots of bread. Hummus, taramasalata, baba ghanoush or moutabal. Borek. Those Turkish sausages I can't remember the name of. Or proper Turkish kebab with rice and bulghar wheat.

Sujuk 😍 i love dosa & sambar, and idli with chutneys. I havent made the peanut chutney in ages! Thats going on the to do list!

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Big fan of the plum, me.

Dear Flumps, I know plenty of us have said this in many forms - but I am always impressed anew at your encyclopaedic knowledge of food and accoutrements and spices - the works. Your posts are really valuable and interesting - I love it when someone asks a food question, because I look forward to what you’re going to write 😂

I know you’re feeling not quite 100 per cent at the moment, but you still never cease to amaze me with your love for cooking. I’m in awe. Creepy fan post over ❤😂

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I vote for roasted plums too. They are delicious. You can also roast or grill other stone fruits like peaches and nectarines, plus purple grapes. I’ve never roasted green ones.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

All these sound SO GOOD. I *adore* South Indian food - my favourite is kotthu parotta, although it's annoyingly hard to find in London.

Also craving a Szechuan - dry fried green beans and minced pork, and mapo tofu please! One of my fave restaurants hasn't opened back up yet so I'm concerned - it's Uyghur cuisine and I urge fraus to try it if they get the chance (and haven't already). Spicy, oily hand pulled chewy noodles and cumin spiced kebabs 😋

• Heart
Dear Flumps, I know plenty of us have said this in many forms - but I am always impressed anew at your encyclopaedic knowledge of food and accoutrements and spices - the works. Your posts are really valuable and interesting - I love it when someone asks a food question, because I look forward to what you’re going to write 😂

I know you’re feeling not quite 100 per cent at the moment, but you still never cease to amaze me with your love for cooking. I’m in awe. Creepy fan post over ❤😂
Babe, same. @Flumps posts are like a beautiful work of art!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Plum and apple crumble, mmmmm
Spiced plum chutney

• Heart

Big fan of the plum, me.

I just LOVE how you talk about food, @Flumps - you’re my favourite “described” 🥰

• Heart
Thank you lovelies. I like food and chatting about it and this is lovely place to do it as so many of us feel the same and you all have such a good way with words and brilliant ideas, photos and skillz. It's funny that JM's crimes to food and flavour have brought us together, but I guess it makes sense that those who love food would not enjoy her work so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

As this is a safe space can I ask the dumbest plum question going - I have a plum tree in my garden, is it actually safe to eat them? I don’t know if these things are decorative or what. Usually they just fall off and we let birds eat them.

Reactions: 11
As this is a safe space can I ask the dumbest plum question going - I have a plum tree in my garden, is it actually safe to eat them? I don’t know if these things are decorative or what. Usually they just fall off and we let birds eat them.
What do they look like? Size/shape/colour? I can't think of any plum that's dodgy to eat though 🤔

Can’t think of any plums you wouldn’t be able to eat? Just wash them well and don’t eat too many at once (plum bum)
If they smell sweet and plummy, you’re game on!
tit - what if they’re greengages? You’ll have hit the golden pot at the end of the rainbow and Jack will be round in her boiler suit to plunder your tree 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19
My 11 days of being on a temporary 24 hour rota looking after my mum has had a set back - car limped home last. It’s waiting for the garage to look at it. They probably can’t look at it until tomorrow. Sister 2 has shown her true colours again 😕😲

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.