Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh & picnic food a triangle ham sandwich on cheap white bread with more butter than ham will always transport me back to sitting on the side of some road with cars flying passed us with my dad telling us to stop complaining and that this is how everyone has a picnic.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Oh friends I have so much to do today and I feel like I have those old timey spiky cannonballs chained to my feet and I can’t move or speak. But I have to, so I am.

All I want to do is eat (on topic, 😏) but it’s still too hot and I have all of the baggage with that so I can’t do that either.

Anyhow, just wanted to shout that into the ether. JM segue whiplash styleee, what’s your fave nostalgic picnic food?

I love the way the sandwiches went slightly warm after a few hours in the car/Dad’s bag. Sandwiches from shops are downright cold nowadays.
Not really a picnic but my nostalgia food is cream crackers with butter and strong cheddar cheese. My dad worked shifts so we often had our tea really early. Around 9ish we were hungry again so mum would bring a tray out with crackers and cheese on for supper. Happy days!

Love a car picnic! Took my kids camping a couple of years ago and decided to use the open boot as a kitchen. Didn’t realise that the boot light was on the whole time so when we came to leave not only was the inside of the car covered in a film of bacon grease the battery was also flat.. 😬

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Well done @LavaFlake thats brilliant!!!

I loved the whole look of Midsommar, the floral crowns were so beautiful. I hate horror films but I liked it as it was a bit more psychological.

My Mum couldn’t drive and worked full time, so my Grandparents took me on picnics. They used to take a little metal thing (an element?) they plugged into the lighter thingy, and pop it into a cup with cold water to make tea. Also loved they took scotch pancakes, pork pies and jam tarts! We used to sit at the side of the road on deckchairs eating our food. My Grandpa would always wear a shirt, tie, slacks, leather polished shoes and what he called a “sports jacket” (a tweedy blazer). For picnic drives he would sport driving gloves ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Well done @LavaFlake thats brilliant!!!

I loved the whole look of Midsommar, the floral crowns were so beautiful. I hate horror films but I liked it as it was a bit more psychological.

My Mum couldn’t drive and worked full time, so my Grandparents took me on picnics. They used to take a little metal thing (an element?) they plugged into the lighter thingy, and pop it into a cup with cold water to make tea. Also loved they took scotch pancakes, pork pies and jam tarts! We used to sit at the side of the road on deckchairs eating our food. My Grandpa would always wear a shirt, tie, slacks, leather polished shoes and what he called a “sports jacket” (a tweedy blazer). For picnic drives her would sport driving gloves ❤
I absolutely love this! Bless your grandfolks - that car picnic sounds idyllic 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thank you so much for all your kind words, Dear Hearts ❤I'm in bits still. @heretoreaditall2019 I'm doing a sweet FA tonight, but we will now be getting some FANCY takeaway from somewhere this Friday (TBD) which I am already v excited about!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Mr NP and I are going to watch Midsommar tonight as it’s been on our Prime watch list for ages but I’m probably going to regret it. I love horror but as I’ve got older I’ve become more scared by it. I’ve only just started sleeping with the bedroom door ajar after watching IT: Chapter Two about 3 weeks ago! And that was crap!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Mr NP and I are going to watch Midsommar tonight as it’s been on our Prime watch list for ages but I’m probably going to regret it. I love horror but as I’ve got older I’ve become more scared by it. I’ve only just started sleeping with the bedroom door ajar after watching IT: Chapter Two about 3 weeks ago! And that was crap!
It’s not that ‘scary’ more strange and creepy. But also beautiful. A bit gory. Report back!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Thank you ❤. I will try again to encourage her to go back and ask about her referral. She’s a very stoic woman who refuses to bother doctors but it breaks my heart to see her in so much pain. She’s been dragged slowly though the NHS system for years to the point where now she’s inoperable and will have to live with it all. She’s on max codeine and paracetamol plus has oromorph when it’s really unbearable (but won’t take this as worried about side effects). I’ve suggested all sorts over the years (have some knowledge of it from 🔺 work) but hadn’t heard of that particular painkiller so I’ll pass the message on. Pain clinic definitely is what she needs. It’s an awful thing to have to cope with, there really needs to be more investment in research around chronic pain but I know this is massively underfunded. A subject close to my heart. Love to everyone that’s going through it x

Congrats @LavaFlake and @crystaleyesd! Lovely news 🙌

Midsommar 😱😱😱, I saw that in the depths of winter and it put me off going to Ikea for ages! So beautiful but so disturbing 😬
Hi, Tapentadol comes in different strengths too. I have 50 regular and SR and 75 mg regular. There are also patches of a different painkiller I was offered that can be prescribed, I cannot remember the name but haven’t needed them. What area is your mum living in? There are quite a few good pain clinics in the London area that I believe take referrals from outside the area.

Reactions: 4
Fraus I have some great news.... after a weekend of waiting in agony I have been offered the job ❤

It's goodbye toxic agency and hello working in house for an organisation whose aims and values I truly support and align with mine. I'm very emotional considering I was on a zero hours minimum wage job 4 years ago, and really struggling month to month (not to sound like JM lol). But I never thought I'd get this far in my career.
Congrats, this is brilliant news! ❤

ETA: Picnic staples; egg mayo sandwiches, mini scotch eggs, my aunts cheese rusks. My family would picnic come what may - one summer we turned up to said picnic spot and the heavens opened so the cars were parked super close to another and Tupperware boxes were passed through windows to share the food 😂.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Agreed. I can’t be doing with anything to do with clowns my husband however is a fan so I had to suffer both. A few hours of my life I’ll never get back. Midsommar I couldn’t work out if I enjoyed it or not, not a scary horror more a trippy horror.

Reactions: 6
I loved midsommar. I’m a big fan of the wicker man so thought I’d enjoy it.

@LavaFlake many congrats that’s great news!

just back from eating out at Miller and Carter and absolutely stuffed. Need a sofa nap.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My mum is coming home tomorrow 😄. It was a surprise as I was told last week she would be there for another week. Fraud stuff is being sorted. I would love a quiet week.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Quiche is my classic picnic food but yes 100 per cent to the ham butties on white with more cheap marg on than ham. Extra points if the bread is curling slightly.

My all time favourite home buffet party food is chicken vol-au-vents made with Campbells thick soup. Could eat those tasty bastards all day.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Thank you so much for all your kind words, Dear Hearts ❤I'm in bits still. @heretoreaditall2019 I'm doing a sweet FA tonight, but we will now be getting some FANCY takeaway from somewhere this Friday (TBD) which I am already v excited about!
Well done! For some reason I imagine your reaction to be like Pamelarrrr. "Oh my Christ, Mick, I can't believe it!" *Hands clapped to side of face*

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Well done! For some reason I imagine your reaction to be like Pamelarrrr. "Oh my Christ, Mick, I can't believe it!" *Hands clapped to side of face*

Thank you!It kinda was to be fair! In all life situations you gotta channel your inner Pamelaaar I swear 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Quiche is my classic picnic food but yes 100 per cent to the ham butties on white with more cheap marg on than ham. Extra points if the bread is curling slightly.

My all time favourite home buffet party food is chicken vol-au-vents made with Campbells thick soup. Could eat those tasty bastards all day.
Ooooo. I loved a vol-au-vent. Though with prawn mayo (fancy) for preference. The chicken ones were good too though.

Reactions: 7
Ooooo. I loved a vol-au-vent. Though with prawn mayo (fancy) for preference. The chicken ones were good too though.
I had a murder mystery party (🕵️‍♀️) for my 11th birthday (my dad acted his heart out staggering into the room with ketchup all over himself as the ‘victim’ :LOL:). To add to the sophistication my mum made us vol-au-vents for some of the party snacks but put egg mayo in them as the palate of a bunch of ten/eleven year olds wasn’t refined enough for more grown up options 😂.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Hi, Tapentadol comes in different strengths too. I have 50 regular and SR and 75 mg regular. There are also patches of a different painkiller I was offered that can be prescribed, I cannot remember the name but haven’t needed them. What area is your mum living in? There are quite a few good pain clinics in the London area that I believe take referrals from outside the area.
Thanks so much for this. She’s up north but it’s all useful info re: the pain clinics. Just need to persuade her to go back and make a bit more of a fuss x

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.