Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love a really decent roast, but I'm fussy about veg and like the non roast components barely cooked. Cauliflower cheese is 100% not for me but roasted cauli is my fave. Thickest gravy with a mint sauce swirl also please.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I have been on the grunka of my life! First day off in four days and then I fucked myself over with a quick 3 hour nap, so now I can’t sleep.

@Toffee finger I’m so sorry to hear about your grandad, sending love.

Well, there’s a lot to mention:
1. Biscoff, absolutely not bothered by it. I appreciate the little biscuit with a coffee but I don’t drink coffee and I never get one with my tea. Rude.
2. Cake, agreed about red velvet being a bit pointless. I love a classic vic sponge but honestly despite it not technically being cake, cheesecake is the cake of gods and I won’t hear a bad word said about it.
3. I cannot leave behind a carbohydrate i simply refuse. At first I thought ditch rice as I don’t eat it much, then I remembered Indian; Thai, Chinese and risotto and THEN I remembered last years holiday to Taormina and their absolutely insane arrancini and well, rice absolutely stays. Pushed hard I could sack off potatoes, I’m not bothered by them except for a jacket spud and of course chips, though I guess I could just replace them with halloumi fries 🤔, equally as delicious.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I cannot stand roasts. What is the obsession? It’s just dry meat, with dry veg and dry potatoes, covered in meaty sauce? I don’t get them.

I am a southerner when it comes to my chippy tea, no mushy peas, no gravy and certainly no curry sauce. Salt, vinegar and then a dollop of ketchup/mayo or tartare sauce for dipping.

Also, and apologies for my ridiculously long post but I found out I’m 3 1/2 months pregnant last week. Total shock as had been having the contraceptive injection. Overjoyed but also terrified as this will be our rainbow baby. Haven’t told a soul as we’re still wrapping our heads around it ourselves but I wanted to tell someone and I feel safe here ❤.

I am loving the ability to use this pregnancy as excuse to snack into the early hours though, nothing unhealthy mind, I’ve got a jar of gherkins on the go currently (not a craving, I eat them straight out the jar normally 😂)
Congratulations!!!! What lovely lovely news 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I went to the supermarket yesterday to give the dog a wee outing in the car (he was so bored sitting in the house all day, staring at the rain, but any time I took him outside he just stood there looking baffled while we both got soaking wet). Anyway, I also blame the weather for me coming home with bags full of junk food, including these (I've just had one as a pre-breakfast appetiser). MY GOD, THE PLASTIC, THOUGH!! SO MUCH PLASTIC!! What the hell, Mr Kipling?!

Mr Kipling Angel Slices | Ocado

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
I love a really decent roast, but I'm fussy about veg and like the non roast components barely cooked. Cauliflower cheese is 100% not for me but roasted cauli is my fave. Thickest gravy with a mint sauce swirl also please.
Yes, gravy you can pretty much stand a spoon up in is the gravy for me.

I don't dislike a roast, I can just think of many, many things I'd rather eat before I'd pick a roast. I like the veg and the sides too and if there's good sides, then yes, it elevates it. I most often cook roasts for vegetable avoiders though, so making elaborate veg side dishes just for me seems a bit of a waste. So, yes, if I can have rare roast beef, yorkshires, horseradish, very finely sliced blanched buttery cabbage, cauli cheese, glazed carrots and roast parsnips and potatoes with lots of gravy, then it is a lovely meal, but I rarely do/get one of those.

I like Christmas dinner though, because all the extras. 2 types of stuffing, bacon rolls, chipolatas, bread sauce, cranberry sauce. I'm on board with all of those.

I also love a roast chicken, buttery mash (normal or sweet potato) and loads of finely sliced runner beans (through one of those dinky slicing machines that remind me of my childhood and my grandma) and lots of very chickeny, buttery gravy.

Hah. Apparently I just like food, it's all just varying degrees. Tiny spoiler for food issues coming up. Not bad, but I know how easily done triggering things can be. The main issue I have with a roast is that I love all the things I've described, but in the post-breakdown years I can get a little panicked and overwhelmed by a big plateful of food, and a roast tends to be one of those, unless you dish it all up separately

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I totally get overwhelmed when I've got too much on my plate too, Flumps! And I mean that literally, not figuratively. Food issues - I don't like loads of different things on one plate, not sure why, but it makes me panic. But too much food in general makes me do that - I once had this, like, 10 course taster menu in Italy and from about halfway through I just was totally miserable, thinking about all the courses I still had to come, it's hard to explain but it just made me super anxious.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

I don't dislike a roast, I can just think of many, many things I'd rather eat before I'd pick a roast. I like the veg and the sides too and if there's good sides, then yes, it elevates it. I most often cook roasts for vegetable avoiders though, so making elaborate veg side dishes just for me seems a bit of a waste. So, yes, if I can have rare roast beef, yorkshires, horseradish, very finely sliced blanched buttery cabbage, cauli cheese, glazed carrots and roast parsnips and potatoes with lots of gravy, then it is a lovely meal, but I rarely do/get one of those.

I like Christmas dinner though, because all the extras. 2 types of stuffing, bacon rolls, chipolatas, bread sauce, cranberry sauce. I'm on board with all of those.

I also love a roast chicken, buttery mash (normal or sweet potato) and loads of finely sliced runner beans (through one of those dinky slicing machines that remind me of my childhood and my grandma) and lots of very chickeny, buttery gravy.

Hah. Apparently I just like food, it's all just varying degrees. Tiny spoiler for food issues coming up. Not bad, but I know how easily done triggering things can be. The main issue I have with a roast is that I love all the things I've described, but in the post-breakdown years I can get a little panicked and overwhelmed by a big plateful of food, and a roast tends to be one of those, unless you dish it all up separately
I own a little runner bean cutting machine. One of my best possessions!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
This fairly unbearable couple were on it. Everyone else that week were pretty lovely, and had either really good or perfectly acceptable establishments. The unbearable couple decided that their scoring system and thus payment system was that if one part of bed/shower/breakfast wasn't acceptable to them in some way then they'd dock a third of the bill. They did this for every B&B, so huge underpayments % wise. IIRC they were also pretty scathing in their comments in a very unpleasant way. They, therefore, obviously won and at least one of the other owners refused the glass of champagne they offered (and I think their payment altogether). But it was just their attitude and their blatant attempt to fix it that was bad. Sometimes I watch them and think one couple has been a bit *done* on the editing, and set up as the bad guys when they probably aren't really, but this didn't seem that way at all, they just seemed unpleasant and unfair.

It was broadcast at the very start of lockdown, on Channel 4, and I think got a huge audience. Twitter was in uproar, their TripAdvisor page and Facebook page were absolutely hammered by people (I prob don't agree with this really, but I do see why people got outraged by the injustice). The episodes seemed to have been wiped from all catch up services/you tube.

There's a bit of chat about it on Digital Spy still:

@Sausage Grand Station - so many congratulations. You must be feeling such a mix of emotions, much love to you, I hope once you get through all the initial scans and things progress you'll be able to enjoy it all as much as possible. xxxx
In a very early episode of Come Dine With Me, there was a woman who insisted on giving everyone else between 1 and 3 points. On the Friday, the producers basically forced her to redo them all, which she did (although she left one guy on 1 because of personal beef).

God I'd love to see Jack on CDWM...

• Haha
  • Heart
Congratulations @Sausage Grand Station 👏

I legitimately eat Yorkshire Puddings like a snack! When done properly (as @Flumps has described) vegetables and other sides can be really elevated through a roast. I love lamb, homemade mint sauce, thick gravy, buttery mashed swede, roasted honey glazed carrots, parsnips and sprouts, fresh and crunchy broccoli, crispy roasties and of course a huge yorkie to mop everything up with!

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Ooh Christmas dinner is a different league! I make loads of veggie side dishes, things like squash and blue cheese bake, onion gratin, braised red cabbage - things I wouldn't put with a normal roast. I really like veg ☺
Also as a tradition I make a huge sausagemeat stuffing loaf, usually sage/onion/apple, which is wrapped in streaky bacon and roasted. It's a behemoth! 😂

• Heart
Who was it who mentioned Selling Sunset?! (Sorry, have been grunka-ing this thread so I lost track). I'm also excited about the third series which starts this week, but I actually hate most of the houses featured. I started watching Million Dollar Listings LA to fill in the gap between seasons of Sunset and it's really good if you like that sort of thing, but it's so depressing - they keep selling these brilliant little mid century properties to developers who are just planning on knocking the house down to build yet another glass monstrosity.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Ooh I love a roast, namely my parents' roast - my dad will ask what veg we want and then go dig it up from the garden....I could eat parsnips by the bucketload, and don't even get me started on roast potatoes. Everything has to be smothered in super thick gravy. Unless its beef though (ironic given my cow-love) I could give or take the meat, it's the sides that make me 🤤

ETA YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
In a very early episode of Come Dine With Me, there was a woman who insisted on giving everyone else between 1 and 3 points. On the Friday, the producers basically forced her to redo them all, which she did (although she left one guy on 1 because of personal beef).

God I'd love to see Jack on CDWM...
I remember that one, them making her redo the scores was very funny.

Also on roasts, I hold no truck with the opinion that Yorkshire puddings are for beef only. I will happily have them with all roast meats. And also for pudding with golden syrup drizzled all over them (again thanks to my grandma).

Though I find peas with a roast a bit of a weird concept, as despite being a pea eating family they never came with roast dinner when I was growing up. My other half, however, loves a pea (can we have pea as a singular, like a shoe or a lip or whatever fashion thing is now singular) with his roast. The other Christmas we were playing a game where you had to list all the things associated with one particular idea. My other half got this card re roast dinners to read to the other team and was saying 'Oh, this is way too easy' and I looked (same team) and said 'Don't worry, they'll never get that one' and pointed at PEAS on the list. I was entirely right, they got parsnips and I think various sauces, but peas never crossed their minds.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Who was it who mentioned Selling Sunset?! (Sorry, have been grunka-ing this thread so I lost track). I'm also excited about the third series which starts this week, but I actually hate most of the houses featured. I started watching Million Dollar Listings LA to fill in the gap between seasons of Sunset and it's really good if you like that sort of thing, but it's so depressing - they keep selling these brilliant little mid century properties to developers who are just planning on knocking the house down to build yet another glass monstrosity.
It was me so I’ll be watching that! Thank you! Albeit sad about the mid century properties. I cannot believe the money flying about in LA. I mean I can, but also I can’t

Reactions: 9
I sometimes microwave a chocolate bar (dairy milk) and then split a warmed croissant and pour it all over. Beats a fecking pain au chocolat any day!

This is my hangover food (although my maverick brain was doing it before I found out about the Nigella one THANKYOU), or sometimes attempt-to-ward-off-hangover food - stumble in at 3am, clatter about kitchen waking housemates, boil pasta VERY al dente (you are TIRED and cba waiting!), dump a tit tonne of butter and marmite in the pan and grate half a block of cheddar on top. Eat in bed with a pint of water and hope for the best.

YES! I love me a Christmas dinner but otherwise I wouldn't be sad if I never ate another roast (ditto steak tbh). Weird cos I used to love them when I was younger, but I just don't really have any great enjoyment of slabs of meat on a plate with boring vegetables. I'd eat a bowl of roasties with gravy though.

Many congratulations on your pregnancy! 🥰
ahh a roast with boring veggies is the worst! Peas DO NOT belong in a roast, I feel very strongly about that. Creamed leeks, roasted beetroot, braised cabbage, cauliflower cheese and some type of lightly steamed green veg for crunch however..

• Heart
Thank you for love guys, it is much appreciate. I am going back to my nans today but the brake warning light came on on my car so currently sat waiting for that to be hopefully sorted! What a week ay?! Still not as bad as our Jackies though I’m sure 🙄

@Sausage Grand Station congratulations! Fabulous news

Roast dinners - if your roast dinner is dry then it isn’t correct!

Chips - Yes to curry sauce and ketchup (but on opposite sides of the plate)

LOVE 4 in a bed (I think there’s a thread in the Tv section here?) my favourite is when they found a poo in the toilet and grandly proclaimed “POO IN TOILET”. Also the guy who said everything was amazing and perfect but only scored the couple 8/10?! It’s perfect how is it not a 10?!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Thanks for all the congrats guys 🥰

It must be such a shock to skip straight to the second trimester. I’ve found out really early with my last three pregnancies, at around 3-ish weeks, which makes the first trimester feel like forever. At least you’ve skipped it! I wouldn’t mind fast forwarding right now. I’m almost 8 weeks with our rainbow (already have two children though) and I feel like I’m a ball of worry everyday. I just want to get to that 12 week mark ASAP!

At least with no signs or symptoms you might have been lucky enough to avoid the sickness stage. So silver linings and all that ;)

I understand your roast stance now. I can only eat it if it’s drowning in gravy. I only really care about the roast potatoes. Could happily just have a plate of those covered in gravy.
Total shock, but I feel like it was my bodies way of protecting me after previous losses. Having skipped that early terrifying stage I do feel more confident we’ll get to the end with this one 🥰, though still cautiously optimistic.
Aww, good luck, I completely understand the fear and stressing, it’s all consuming isn’t it.

Absolutely about the sickness, it has also been a bonus not trying to hide it from people.

Oh I definitely found my people re: roasts. I’m treated like a leper round these parts. I will eat them but I do not enjoy them. Christmas dinner is about the only one I don’t complain about, and don’t get me started on Toby Carvery.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
omg you lot, stop making me so homesick for the UK with all your talk of roast dinners (proper gravy!), chips with curry sauce, Nandos, I CAN'T.
I am veggie but still miss gravy the most.

I missed the dodgy picture Twitter scandal last night, which I am sad about because I'm nosy.

oooh and congratulations @Sausage Grand Station brilliant news!!

I have a glut of lemons and pomegranates in the garden and exciting news about the teeny lime tree that I planted last year - it now has 18 small limes coming on to ripen. I have no idea what to do with the pomegranates, last year they ended up in the compost bin, so any nice ideas would be welcome.
Aw, @LennyBriscoe, that hedgehog camping made me quite nostalgic, I haven't seen a hedgehog in years.
All these beautiful babies arriving soon, congratulations to @Sausage Grand Station and good luck @heretoreaditall2019 and @NoseyParkour x

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I have been on the grunka of my life! First day off in four days and then I fucked myself over with a quick 3 hour nap, so now I can’t sleep.

@Toffee finger I’m so sorry to hear about your grandad, sending love.

Well, there’s a lot to mention:
1. Biscoff, absolutely not bothered by it. I appreciate the little biscuit with a coffee but I don’t drink coffee and I never get one with my tea. Rude.
2. Cake, agreed about red velvet being a bit pointless. I love a classic vic sponge but honestly despite it not technically being cake, cheesecake is the cake of gods and I won’t hear a bad word said about it.
3. I cannot leave behind a carbohydrate i simply refuse. At first I thought ditch rice as I don’t eat it much, then I remembered Indian; Thai, Chinese and risotto and THEN I remembered last years holiday to Taormina and their absolutely insane arrancini and well, rice absolutely stays. Pushed hard I could sack off potatoes, I’m not bothered by them except for a jacket spud and of course chips, though I guess I could just replace them with halloumi fries 🤔, equally as delicious.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I cannot stand roasts. What is the obsession? It’s just dry meat, with dry veg and dry potatoes, covered in meaty sauce? I don’t get them.

I am a southerner when it comes to my chippy tea, no mushy peas, no gravy and certainly no curry sauce. Salt, vinegar and then a dollop of ketchup/mayo or tartare sauce for dipping.

Also, and apologies for my ridiculously long post but I found out I’m 3 1/2 months pregnant last week. Total shock as had been having the contraceptive injection. Overjoyed but also terrified as this will be our rainbow baby. Haven’t told a soul as we’re still wrapping our heads around it ourselves but I wanted to tell someone and I feel safe here ❤.

I am loving the ability to use this pregnancy as excuse to snack into the early hours though, nothing unhealthy mind, I’ve got a jar of gherkins on the go currently (not a craving, I eat them straight out the jar normally 😂)
congratulations! What a lovely surprise 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.