Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My dirty secret food pleasure: fairy bread. All the fellow Oz / those with an Oz childhood will know about this little delight.
White bread, spread with butter and then sprinkled with hundreds and thousands / sugar strands (I prefer sugar strands). It is gorgeous and so wrong - like it’s a staple at kids parties 😂 I only eat it when I’m alone in the house (which is once every 50,000 years, so not that often)

@breakdancebadass - yes to Sobranies!
When I lived in Brighton, I used to buy chocolate tobacco from this really cool tobacco shop in the Lanes (@blurstoftimes, is it still there?!) - it didn’t really taste of chocolate, more just really mellow and smooth. I thought I was pretty cool with my rollies 😂😂

Someone gave me a thin French cigarette at a party earlier this year and it had been so long since I’d smoked I had a proper whitey and had to sit down on a step outside in the cold air to calm down 😂 (could also have been all the gin cocktails as well)
Fairy bread 🤢 I remember being bewildered when served it at my first friends bday there but eating it out of politeness.. we even had it at my bdays just as it was tradition 😂 what I do miss are those mini meat pies, even now as I don’t eat much meat and would probably never buy them 😂 my guilty pleasure is that awful plastic cheese, particularly with pickles and lettuce

I have been on the grunka of my life! First day off in four days and then I fucked myself over with a quick 3 hour nap, so now I can’t sleep.

@Toffee finger I’m so sorry to hear about your grandad, sending love.

Well, there’s a lot to mention:
1. Biscoff, absolutely not bothered by it. I appreciate the little biscuit with a coffee but I don’t drink coffee and I never get one with my tea. Rude.
2. Cake, agreed about red velvet being a bit pointless. I love a classic vic sponge but honestly despite it not technically being cake, cheesecake is the cake of gods and I won’t hear a bad word said about it.
3. I cannot leave behind a carbohydrate i simply refuse. At first I thought ditch rice as I don’t eat it much, then I remembered Indian; Thai, Chinese and risotto and THEN I remembered last years holiday to Taormina and their absolutely insane arrancini and well, rice absolutely stays. Pushed hard I could sack off potatoes, I’m not bothered by them except for a jacket spud and of course chips, though I guess I could just replace them with halloumi fries 🤔, equally as delicious.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I cannot stand roasts. What is the obsession? It’s just dry meat, with dry veg and dry potatoes, covered in meaty sauce? I don’t get them.

I am a southerner when it comes to my chippy tea, no mushy peas, no gravy and certainly no curry sauce. Salt, vinegar and then a dollop of ketchup/mayo or tartare sauce for dipping.

Also, and apologies for my ridiculously long post but I found out I’m 3 1/2 months pregnant last week. Total shock as had been having the contraceptive injection. Overjoyed but also terrified as this will be our rainbow baby. Haven’t told a soul as we’re still wrapping our heads around it ourselves but I wanted to tell someone and I feel safe here ❤.

I am loving the ability to use this pregnancy as excuse to snack into the early hours though, nothing unhealthy mind, I’ve got a jar of gherkins on the go currently (not a craving, I eat them straight out the jar normally 😂)
Totally agree about roasts! And people constantly say “oh but if you tried ...” I try it and my feelings are the same, I have it once a year with my family at Xmas and that is more than enough. Honestly would rather a slice of toast and vegemite (superior to marmite imo)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Totally agree about roasts! And people constantly say “oh but if you tried ...”
Hate this! I don't like beer. I constantly get "oh but THIS beer..." It's okay! It's not an illness that needs a cure!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Exactly! It’s like ‘I like what I like, ok?! I’m not asking you to not like it!’
I really hate peas 🤢

@emm I do remember those mini pies - and same here! I don’t eat meat any more but they spark a little childhood nostalgia.
i also really hate peas but get them pushed on me constantly by people. 🤮

my guilty pleasure is a crisp sandwich. Ready salted, cheap white bread and lots of butter.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh my god, is that who Mark Bonnar is. He was in Catastrophe, wasn’t he? Beautiful Scottish accent and lovely eyes. I’m hormonal!
I bleeping loved him in Catastrophe. He had the best line... ⚠THIS LINE IS OBSCENE, SO NOT IN FRONT OF YOUR KIDS PLEASE⚠

• Haha
Reactions: 17
my guilty pleasure is a crisp sandwich. Ready salted, cheap white bread and lots of butter.
Omg yesssss! I love a crisp sandwich.

I had pan fried gnocchi for dinner last night and it was incredible.

I agree with other people's observations regarding the mother thread - commenting on appearance is not cool.

I have been on the grunka of my life! First day off in four days and then I fucked myself over with a quick 3 hour nap, so now I can’t sleep.

@Toffee finger I’m so sorry to hear about your grandad, sending love.

Well, there’s a lot to mention:
1. Biscoff, absolutely not bothered by it. I appreciate the little biscuit with a coffee but I don’t drink coffee and I never get one with my tea. Rude.
2. Cake, agreed about red velvet being a bit pointless. I love a classic vic sponge but honestly despite it not technically being cake, cheesecake is the cake of gods and I won’t hear a bad word said about it.
3. I cannot leave behind a carbohydrate i simply refuse. At first I thought ditch rice as I don’t eat it much, then I remembered Indian; Thai, Chinese and risotto and THEN I remembered last years holiday to Taormina and their absolutely insane arrancini and well, rice absolutely stays. Pushed hard I could sack off potatoes, I’m not bothered by them except for a jacket spud and of course chips, though I guess I could just replace them with halloumi fries 🤔, equally as delicious.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I cannot stand roasts. What is the obsession? It’s just dry meat, with dry veg and dry potatoes, covered in meaty sauce? I don’t get them.

I am a southerner when it comes to my chippy tea, no mushy peas, no gravy and certainly no curry sauce. Salt, vinegar and then a dollop of ketchup/mayo or tartare sauce for dipping.

Also, and apologies for my ridiculously long post but I found out I’m 3 1/2 months pregnant last week. Total shock as had been having the contraceptive injection. Overjoyed but also terrified as this will be our rainbow baby. Haven’t told a soul as we’re still wrapping our heads around it ourselves but I wanted to tell someone and I feel safe here ❤.

I am loving the ability to use this pregnancy as excuse to snack into the early hours though, nothing unhealthy mind, I’ve got a jar of gherkins on the go currently (not a craving, I eat them straight out the jar normally 😂)
Oh my gosh congratulations on the pregnancy 🥳 this is amazing news x

• Heart
Mine’s a croissant, roughly torn down the middle, buttered liberally and smeared with marmite. Full on straddling that channel! 🇫🇷🇬🇧
I sometimes microwave a chocolate bar (dairy milk) and then split a warmed croissant and pour it all over. Beats a fecking pain au chocolat any day!

Do! Honestly, marmite and butter on any carb is a good thing. Nigella did marmite spaghetti in kitchen and it’s 👌
however, I have had many funny looks for the croissant 😄
This is my hangover food (although my maverick brain was doing it before I found out about the Nigella one THANKYOU), or sometimes attempt-to-ward-off-hangover food - stumble in at 3am, clatter about kitchen waking housemates, boil pasta VERY al dente (you are TIRED and cba waiting!), dump a tit tonne of butter and marmite in the pan and grate half a block of cheddar on top. Eat in bed with a pint of water and hope for the best.

YES! I love me a Christmas dinner but otherwise I wouldn't be sad if I never ate another roast (ditto steak tbh). Weird cos I used to love them when I was younger, but I just don't really have any great enjoyment of slabs of meat on a plate with boring vegetables. I'd eat a bowl of roasties with gravy though.

Many congratulations on your pregnancy! 🥰

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
No what happened?
This fairly unbearable couple were on it. Everyone else that week were pretty lovely, and had either really good or perfectly acceptable establishments. The unbearable couple decided that their scoring system and thus payment system was that if one part of bed/shower/breakfast wasn't acceptable to them in some way then they'd dock a third of the bill. They did this for every B&B, so huge underpayments % wise. IIRC they were also pretty scathing in their comments in a very unpleasant way. They, therefore, obviously won and at least one of the other owners refused the glass of champagne they offered (and I think their payment altogether). But it was just their attitude and their blatant attempt to fix it that was bad. Sometimes I watch them and think one couple has been a bit *done* on the editing, and set up as the bad guys when they probably aren't really, but this didn't seem that way at all, they just seemed unpleasant and unfair.

It was broadcast at the very start of lockdown, on Channel 4, and I think got a huge audience. Twitter was in uproar, their TripAdvisor page and Facebook page were absolutely hammered by people (I prob don't agree with this really, but I do see why people got outraged by the injustice). The episodes seemed to have been wiped from all catch up services/you tube.

There's a bit of chat about it on Digital Spy still:

@Sausage Grand Station - so many congratulations. You must be feeling such a mix of emotions, much love to you, I hope once you get through all the initial scans and things progress you'll be able to enjoy it all as much as possible. xxxx

• Heart
  • Wow
What wonderful news Sausage. Congratulations!

• Heart
In further catch up news, I am generally unmoved by roast dinners, though love the smell of roasting chicken and I do make a good Yorkshire pudding. If I am having a roast dinner it must have A LOT of gravy.

I am very much moved by Mark Bonnar though. He is one of those men who can do a certain thing with their eyes, an intensity thing I think, that is the kind of look that has got me into a lot of trouble in the past.

I'm not sure what my guilty food pleasure is. Maybe potato waffles, cooked much longer than the packet advises, then a load of cheddar grated on top and back in the oven until that goes all melty and slides through all the holes. All scraped onto a plate and devoured. Good hangover food.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Not me snorting! I copied this clip from Twitter. You can tell she tried really hard to stay quiet for video integrity which I love 🤐😂
😂 Can imagine her holding her breath and shaking silently.
To be honest, I would have been surprised if it were you snorting - I expect more of a babbling book, fairy-like tinkle or a pleasing baritone ‘Grunka lunka dunkety doo!’

• Haha
Four in a Bed is ace but I have to watch it on catch up as I hate those activities they do to pad out every episode. Surely no-one wants to see Bernard, Jan and co off down a local pottery for a pointless competition just so Channel 4 have enough content to fill half an hour?

Breakfast food is my favourite food of all so that’s what it’s all about for me. Plus the contorting themselves to find a minuscule scrap of dust and the barely suppressed glee at spotting a ‘curly wurly’ in the bath, obvs.

Just remembered that it actually started off as Three in a Bed (remember that?). Not sure if they did the rubbish activities then. Halcyon days (possibly).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Thank you. I think I’m still stunned, we both are. I don’t feel pregnant though; have had no obvious signs or symptoms, I actually thought my Crohn’s was flaring and it was my consultant who insisted on a test before I had my scan to confirm, so thank goodness for him. Once the shock eases ill be telling everyone and their dog I’m sure but for now, I just need to get there myself.

Aha, it’s the biggest bone of contention in our house and it was growing up too. Give him credit Mr Sausages meat is never dry, but it is a dry dish, if that makes sense? I much prefer food all mixed in together like pastas and stuff or food I can stick in bread. I’m just a fussy bugger really
It must be such a shock to skip straight to the second trimester. I’ve found out really early with my last three pregnancies, at around 3-ish weeks, which makes the first trimester feel like forever. At least you’ve skipped it! I wouldn’t mind fast forwarding right now. I’m almost 8 weeks with our rainbow (already have two children though) and I feel like I’m a ball of worry everyday. I just want to get to that 12 week mark ASAP!

At least with no signs or symptoms you might have been lucky enough to avoid the sickness stage. So silver linings and all that ;)

I understand your roast stance now. I can only eat it if it’s drowning in gravy. I only really care about the roast potatoes. Could happily just have a plate of those covered in gravy.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@GrunkaLunka excellent line, I might have to do a rewatch.
@Flumps yesss intense and direct!

@Sausage Grand Station Congratulations, what a wonderful surprise! <3
Quality grunking also

I love all the terrible stuff. Turkey Dinosaurs/twizzlers etc. I hope lab grown meat is soon to come so i can go back to it :LOL:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I don't understand all this roast indifference! I love a roast, it's one of my favourite meals to cook. Pork and beef are probably my favourite meats, good salty crackling on the pork and medium rare beef. Lots of proper wine gravy and decent side dishes. I like broccoli/cauli cheese, creamed leeks, maple roast carrots, cabbage and bacon with ours 😋

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I really love a roast dinner, but I don't eat meat. I think the appeal for me is the epic amounts of veg you can put on your plate without looking a weirdo (I really love veg), but I love the roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, gravy and all the sauces people put on meat (mint, apple, cranberry, horseradish, etc. Sometimes I have all of them at once!)

I don't understand all this roast indifference! I love a roast, it's one of my favourite meals to cook. Pork and beef are probably my favourite meats, good salty crackling on the pork and medium rare beef. Lots of proper wine gravy and decent side dishes. I like broccoli/cauli cheese, creamed leeks, maple roast carrots, cabbage and bacon with ours 😋
Yes, cross post with my fellow roast lover. All those sides ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.