Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Afternoon friends. I’m burnt out from JM tbh, it’s a chore to check her twitter and I sigh when I see she’s tweeted. But I have nowt else to do so i’ll plod along until I truly cba.

Speaking of twitter, some rather obvious crisp packets rustling away in JM’s twitter feed. Well intentioned but naughty. Staying with food i’m really annoyed because I bought a posh loaf as they didn’t have any own brand in and it’s gone mouldy, unopened, with 3 days before its bb date. Annoying.

I feel weird about the money stuff as I am on tit loads of benefits because I am too 🤪 to have a job. And because part of my 🤪 is that I don’t go anywhere or do anything then i’m actually fine for money. Within reason, obvs. Where I live the rent is extortionate so i’ve paid £350 more than a mortgage payment for over ten years so most of it goes on that. So Jack’s horror at benefits and poverty isn’t actually accurate, for me, anyway. This horrible government that I oppose in every single way have looked after me pretty well, aside from some gtapplings with the lovely ATOS, but they’re gone now.

Aaaanyway. I’m hungry now and all I really fancy is toast. I tried to defrost some old bread from the (solitary) freezer but it’s gone hard at the edge and spongy in the middle.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Ok here it is:

Roasted aubergine, wild rice and lentil salad with a garlic dressing

Shopping list:
2 large aubergines
1 tin green lentils or cook your own.
Either a pouch of ready steamed long grain and wild rice or cook your own (I used to always cook my own then I discovered Tilda pouches, so much easier!!)
1 red/orange pepper
Good green celery
Spring onions
Garlic
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Lemon

2 fat aubergines, cubed into approx 2 cm squares. Spread them out onto your biggest roasting tray, preferably on some parchment paper so they don’t stick. rub them in a good amount of olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in a hot oven, turning them halfway,for around 35-40 mins until golden, slightly charred on some edges and meltingly soft flesh. Set aside to cool

while they are baking, prep the veg:

slice a few sticks of good, green celery into little rounds or diagonals.

Same for some crunchy spring onions (including the green part)

chop a red (or orange or yellow) pepper into approx 1cm dice

chop a palmful of flat leaf parsley

in a large bowl, combine the cooled aubergine with all the other vegetables and parsley. Add in the cooked wild rice mix/ pouch contents and the drained lentils (Fraus, I RINSE and let them drain in a sieve until fairly dry)

this mix is now ready to stay in your fridge and will do quite a few portions for a few days. I make the dressing separately and only dress what quantity I want to eat at the time. Everything stays fresher tasting and crunchier this way,

dressing:

I do this by eye and taste but it does need to be punchy and well seasoned otherwise the salad will be bland.

2/3 gloves garlic, crushed to a paste with sea salt
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
9 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp warm water
Black pepper (PLENTY)

shake all together in a lidded jar to emulsify or use a sauce whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning/more garlic/salt/acid (some lemon maybe?)

enjoy! Xxx
Wow thank you! Weirdly I have all the ingredients already apart from, sadly, the aubergines and the spring onion - they'll go on my next shopping list.

Reactions: 6
I’ve been BUSY over the weekend so don’t know if anything has kicked off in relation to ham crisps but there seems to be a message from an extra-terrestrial friend 🪐 over on Twitter for @Begborrowsteal.

I thought it was safer to mention it here rather than over on the JM thread.

About to set off on a Grunka-thon now so hopefully all will become clear... (for once!)

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
It’s insidious you don’t realise you’re keeping up with the Joneses while you’re doing it. I deleted insta a couple weeks ago, deleted Facebook at beginning of lockdown. The comparisons with what everyone else seems to have and be able to do was doing me in.

I’ve come across myfrugalyear though and it seemed so rational; the road ahead seems so long though I’ve got like 9 years on this plan and I’ll be almost 50. Ive lived alone for much much longer than I ever expected I would and just want someone to come along and save me, stupidly.
Each month paying a large amount on debt makes me think what I could have been doing with that money, but before lockdown I was feeling good about doing something about it and that I just paid that to StepChange and they dealt with everything (they’ve been BRILL).

I’m sorry you had that stress, it’s awful AWFUL the things that go through your mind out of sheer dread and desperation. The most empowering thing was when my debt management plan started and I just stopped the direct debits I couldn’t afford to pay, and accepted they’d default. The world didn’t end.

She’s just disgusting, and spitting that she couldn’t possibly go back on benefits when I rely on my tax credits to survive yet still work a full time job and can’t just spend 22 hours in bed wailing even when I really want to. She’s undoubtedly had some very good luck and opportunities handed to her and I’d like to think in the same position I’d have made use of that, heck if Nigella was retweeting my work today I’d feel a hell of a lot more secure than I currently do! She just doesn’t want to put the effort into it. She’s triggered us all in so many different ways I don’t know if it’s worth keeping up with it now even for the jaw dropping gossip aspect of it!
Sorry I didn't reply husband distracted me then I forgot about this thread because of JM's chaos!

Honestly this is what kills me the most, the HUGE amount of privilege she has as a self employed person. I have it too as a WFH-er during covid, it's been really luxurious tbh being able to work from home, earn the same money, with minimal outgoings. It's really helped reverse some of the damage getting unwell caused us with the aforementioned HMRC dramz, but most importantly an absolutely amazing quality of life? I can't imagine whinging as much as she does if I could have enjoyed 10+ years of this, it's bliss?! Also how she can be complaining about financial insecurity after 10+ years of this?!!! She's vile vile vile x

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’ve been BUSY over the weekend so don’t know if anything has kicked off in relation to ham crisps but there seems to be a message from an extra-terrestrial friend 🪐 over on Twitter for @Begborrowsteal.

About to set off on a Grunka-thon now so hopefully all will become clear... (for once!)

I have tried to figure it out. But what is the crisp thing all about?

Reactions: 6
I can’t remember who mentioned the courgette glut - have been bit slow catching up because I actually went out to A RESTAURANT yesterday and had a meal out and duck me - but +1 to the fried flowers above and also Mary Berry has an amazing courgette, honey and walnut cake that is definitely recommend. Also smashed courgettes - basically cook them in butter, olive oil, garlic, lots of salt and pepper and thyme super low and for about an hour (lid on) and then sort of smush them about with a fork. Eat on toast, in pasta, topped with goats cheese, dip a crisp in it, eat it with a spoon.

I’ve not been on the “mother” for a while because it all got a bit grim and I struggled with several people being a dick to each other. Also the Barbara stuff upset me because I wanted to help but also can’t help because am just an idiot off the internet

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Earlier on the thread (or possibly the previous one) there was an actual discussion about favourite crisp flavours and brands but also a cunning subtext about, for example, crisps that were particularly mellow and some from a particular town in Scotland. Both the mellow and Scottish crisps seemed a bit hammy and left an unpleasant aftertaste.

I bet that’s a clear as mud - soz!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
haha no worries oh god I know that midnight waking to change your bed thing, I’m kind of hoping it might be that I’m hitting perimenopause even though I’m only 40 (🔺) it would explain a few things and I feel I’ve done my time with periods now. Still no sign (nor sniff of cock)

I’m finding the money aspect of the mother thread triggery, I’m in a hell of a lot of self inflicted debt from a few years of v poor mental health where I spent huge amounts on credit cards and took unsupportable loans. Am on a plan with step change now so have faced up to it, but I can see clear as day that JM spends to make herself feel better temporarily then the realisation hits. It’s making my guilt come back over what I’ve done as I had family help and squandered it too. Anyway I might not be on as much and also feel I want to try having some early nights and taking some exercise to help my brain. I love all you Fraus though but will just jump on for a bit at sensible times to catch up 💕

Im in the same boat with debt & stepchange. I was (still am tbf) impulsive and would spend when my MH was bad. The realisation can be so overwhelming!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Fraus. An update is warranted I feel - as much for myself as for you all. The Before Sunrise cosplay happening in the past few days and...........turns out real life is nothing like the movies. Quelle surprise, eh? We had a lovely time together, catching up, chatting about everything, hanging out in a nice city, but there wasn't a spark anymore. Too much time had passed. Too much other stuff got in the way. There was a moment where we were lying on a rug in the park (which was absolutely FULL because it was national Switzerland day or something so absolutely no chance for park sex) when I almost felt what I did 12 years ago when we shared a tent in the Siberian forest, but then some asshole set off a firework and the moment was lost.

There's a lot to think about - about changing desires, and growing older (and perhaps wiser?), of not being so struck by idealism, of being more aware of your body and what it wants. I think we envied each other a little bit, and the paths we'd chosen - me with my CHAOTIC MAVERICK freedom, him with his stable living situation and high salary. I've been brooding about it all for the past 24 hours. In a way it feels freeing - that I got my closure, essentially. But I'm also pretty mournful for the person I was back then and how hopeful and unafraid she was. I've also drunk quite a lot of cheap Croatian wine so I'm a little bit more maudlin than I'd like. But, mein frauen, we go onwards!

• Heart
Reactions: 36

I wont lie, im abit dippy, and im not entirely following 🥴 (sorry saturn, im a div)

Fraus. An update is warranted I feel - as much for myself as for you all. The Before Sunrise cosplay happening in the past few days and...........turns out real life is nothing like the movies. Quelle surprise, eh? We had a lovely time together, catching up, chatting about everything, hanging out in a nice city, but there wasn't a spark anymore. Too much time had passed. Too much other stuff got in the way. There was a moment where we were lying on a rug in the park (which was absolutely FULL because it was national Switzerland day or something so absolutely no chance for park sex) when I almost felt what I did 12 years ago when we shared a tent in the Siberian forest, but then some asshole set off a firework and the moment was lost.

There's a lot to think about - about changing desires, and growing older (and perhaps wiser?), of not being so struck by idealism, of being more aware of your body and what it wants. I think we envied each other a little bit, and the paths we'd chosen - me with my CHAOTIC MAVERICK freedom, him with his stable living situation and high salary. I've been brooding about it all for the past 24 hours. In a way it feels freeing - that I got my closure, essentially. But I'm also pretty mournful for the person I was back then and how hopeful and unafraid she was. I've also drunk quite a lot of cheap Croatian wine so I'm a little bit more maudlin than I'd like. But, mein frauen, we go onwards!
❤

Reactions: 11
I have tried to figure it out. But what is the crisp thing all about?
I have no idea what the planet is going on about most of the time but I still like to follow along. Feels like the closest I’ll ever get to the dark web.

Devoured my dad’s epic Sunday roast this evening. Don’t care what you may say, nobody does it better.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
My theories are predictably incorrect and way off the mark (and I should say that Saturn makes me hoot) but I do sometimes wonder if he’s just messing with everyone’s heads. Sometimes his messages feel like “double dutch” to me but I’ve probably had too much ham or something...

Wondering if I should change my username to SpoonfulofHam, too far?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Im in the same boat with debt & stepchange. I was (still am tbf) impulsive and would spend when my MH was bad. The realisation can be so overwhelming!
I’m at a place where I do think about what I spend and do look at the bank account & then thinking of some of the ‘duck it’ moments I’ve had handing credit cards over I just struggle to live with myself. She’s defo doing the same, that jumping on a sleeper because it’s the most luxurious option is something I’d have done and the comedown would be like this when reality hit and the bills come in

Sounds intense, but like something that will settle into your consciousness with time. Time is such a weird thing; we live entirely in the moment and old feelings about someone can be evoked by small things bringing memories back but recapturing the exact feeling again is affected by so much else. You won’t be the same person you were back then. You definitely won’t regret not seeing what it would be like though you maverick chancer 🥰 right off to bed at sensible hour I swear x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Hello lovely fraus. I have caught up here, but not the JM thread because I've been BUSY ok? Work tomorrow, so I dare say I'll find time then to catch up.

@heretoreaditall2019 - sorry your boss is being a dick. I am very excited about your twinges though. Vicarious baby watching is very fun. Hope you're feeling ok this evening.
@Breakdance Badass - someone I once had a rather torrid but fun love affair with used to call me an annoying iconoclast for refusing to watch/do/enjoy certain things everyone seemed to be into at the time, most notably Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Still have not, and will not, ever watch.
@Badlyplatedflapjacks - so many congratulations on the new job. How lovely. x
@colouredlines - that dress is amazing, so jealous of people who can sew and you look bleeping fabulous in it.

Sorry, that's a very brief summary of the things I wanted to say, but I am exhausted and really should go to bed.

I feel everyone on the financial stuff though. I'm horribly profligate by nature and have horrible guilt about everything financial. Things are a mess there for me at the moment and I can't even focus on it, my mind just slides away from it all. My lovely other half tries to have all sorts of sensible conversations with me about money and I just cannot properly deal with it at all. It's a huge trigger. Sorry, that's not helpful at all is it, except to say I get it and ugh, the whole money thing is awful isn't it?

@Nottonightbabe - I have many courgette thoughts, but am too tired to do them all tonight. I will be back, if they would still be helpful, tomorrow though. And I will, promise, not in a JM style. Will recommend heartily @Veronicaaa's recipe for the marinated Italian veg though. It's wonderful.

We've done lots of birthday celebrating this weekend for my partner. Had a big BBQ today with family, lots of burgers, sausages, pork kebabs, big mushrooms and halloumi on the BBQ. Potato salad, celeriac remoulade, courgette salad and much crusty bread to go with it. Eve's pudding (not very summery, but we have a lot of cooking apples on the tree) and birthday carrot cake were the pudding options.

@Saint_clemmie - the dog situation sounded v stressful, glad it didn't all blow up though. It's hard when it feels like a cultural difference isn't it?

Lovely to 'see' you all and catch up. I feel like I have typed a lot, but not said anything of much substance, but I wanted to join in a bit now I'm back, but I am too tired to say anything v meaningful and the heat is making whatever is up with my hands and knee joints so much worse and I MUST SLEEP. Night all. x

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Hello lovely fraus. I have caught up here, but not the JM thread because I've been BUSY ok? Work tomorrow, so I dare say I'll find time then to catch up.

@heretoreaditall2019 - sorry your boss is being a dick. I am very excited about your twinges though. Vicarious baby watching is very fun. Hope you're feeling ok this evening.
@Breakdance Badass - someone I once had a rather torrid but fun love affair with used to call me an annoying iconoclast for refusing to watch/do/enjoy certain things everyone seemed to be into at the time, most notably Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Still have not, and will not, ever watch.
@Badlyplatedflapjacks - so many congratulations on the new job. How lovely. x
@colouredlines - that dress is amazing, so jealous of people who can sew and you look bleeping fabulous in it.

Sorry, that's a very brief summary of the things I wanted to say, but I am exhausted and really should go to bed.

I feel everyone on the financial stuff though. I'm horribly profligate by nature and have horrible guilt about everything financial. Things are a mess there for me at the moment and I can't even focus on it, my mind just slides away from it all. My lovely other half tries to have all sorts of sensible conversations with me about money and I just cannot properly deal with it at all. It's a huge trigger. Sorry, that's not helpful at all is it, except to say I get it and ugh, the whole money thing is awful isn't it?

@Nottonightbabe - I have many courgette thoughts, but am too tired to do them all tonight. I will be back, if they would still be helpful, tomorrow though. And I will, promise, not in a JM style. Will recommend heartily @Veronicaaa's recipe for the marinated Italian veg though. It's wonderful.

We've done lots of birthday celebrating this weekend for my partner. Had a big BBQ today with family, lots of burgers, sausages, pork kebabs, big mushrooms and halloumi on the BBQ. Potato salad, celeriac remoulade, courgette salad and much crusty bread to go with it. Eve's pudding (not very summery, but we have a lot of cooking apples on the tree) and birthday carrot cake were the pudding options.

@Saint_clemmie - the dog situation sounded v stressful, glad it didn't all blow up though. It's hard when it feels like a cultural difference isn't it?

Lovely to 'see' you all and catch up. I feel like I have typed a lot, but not said anything of much substance, but I wanted to join in a bit now I'm back, but I am too tired to say anything v meaningful and the heat is making whatever is up with my hands and knee joints so much worse and I MUST SLEEP. Night all. x
Nice to see you, to see you nice @Flumps. Aww I got a lovely contented glow from your post, sounds a fab weekend. I hear you on the GOT, never
ever will I watch it. Nope, never! ❤
1596405113445.gif

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Wise Fraus, my courgettes are just about to hit their peak, any inspiring things I can do with them? It isn't something we really ever eat but I grow them as they're usually successful. They just end up ribboned in a stir fry at the mo.
Sorry currently grunakaring my way through so this may have been suggested but my mum makes this from the Table Manners cook book: https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/home-garden/food/easy-courgette-bake-recipe-a138926.html?amp
The only ‘variant’ she applies is adding garlic to the list of ingredients.

ETA this go to recipe too - I like that you can either leave the chilli out or add more depending on your taste:

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
@crystaleyesd ah sorry that it wasn’t quite how you imagined but you seem so sensible in your take away from it all.

Rather selfishly I properly loved your Paris updates so you made a sad old Francophile Frau very happy.

can more people go to Paris and tell me about it please. When I actually go to Paris I get a bit weird and overwhelmed so I much prefer other people to go for me!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My theories are predictably incorrect and way off the mark (and I should say that Saturn makes me hoot) but I do sometimes wonder if he’s just messing with everyone’s heads. Sometimes his messages feel like “double dutch” to me but I’ve probably had too much ham or something...
Maybe unpopular, but whatevs. I don't like Saturn. I didn't like him when he was here, and I don't like him now that he's trying to be a wise-arse elsewhere.

There's a reason he was booted off of here, I *personally* don't think he should be engaged with, he clearly has an issue with it, and ultimately I think he just makes us all look bad/trollish. (Which we are not - but it only takes a few to sour the name of a whole group).

Reactions: 7

That was both achingly beautiful and sad to read. It made me cry! I felt like I was reading a book, one of those kinds of books that make you feel young again, and wistful for what is lost, and grateful for the insight you have now? Not sure if I’m making sense!
Thank you for telling us about it. Have to admit, I was thinking about you like a saddo. Onwards indeed! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.