Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve had (starting in the middle of the night)period-induced (changing the bedsheet) wakefulness and got through it with an early cuppa and grunking this thread where I found the celebrity chef gossip link, I’ve been grunking that this morning too. Fresh in the memory of discovering one of my telly chef favourites has a cheesy knob, your comment of having a sniff of cock made me laugh out loud and feel a bit gippy at the same time! 🤣🤢
1596372334546.png

:sick: I hope he is better at giving himself a jolly good wash nowadays.

I went to one of his restaurants in Birmingham a few years back with my mum and dad and it was utterly amazing, probably the best meal I've ever had. The food was "wow" amazing and the service was impeccable.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
So much daily spending is habit though- I filled my car on way to the airport last week for the first time since March! I’m not nipping to the shop at work because I’m bored. I’ve bought some new t shirts and a packet of knickers, but as I’m not going into an office, I’m not buying work clothes. I’ve got spare cash now at the end of the month to stick in a savings pot. It is definitely an eye opener

(mind you I’m spending a lot more on weekly shoos because my ravenous kids just don’t stop eating at the moment!)

Reactions: 11
haha no worries oh god I know that midnight waking to change your bed thing, I’m kind of hoping it might be that I’m hitting perimenopause even though I’m only 40 (🔺) it would explain a few things and I feel I’ve done my time with periods now. Still no sign (nor sniff of cock)

I’m finding the money aspect of the mother thread triggery, I’m in a hell of a lot of self inflicted debt from a few years of v poor mental health where I spent huge amounts on credit cards and took unsupportable loans. Am on a plan with step change now so have faced up to it, but I can see clear as day that JM spends to make herself feel better temporarily then the realisation hits. It’s making my guilt come back over what I’ve done as I had family help and squandered it too. Anyway I might not be on as much and also feel I want to try having some early nights and taking some exercise to help my brain. I love all you Fraus though but will just jump on for a bit at sensible times to catch up 💕
Mate, there’s no need to be ashamed or feel guilty of that. Admitting you’ve got a problem and facing up to it is a bloody brave thing to do & you should be proud of addressing it. Just doing that shows you’re nothing like her. Accepting but not making best use of family members’ help is also absolutely nothing like begging (by misleading) for strangers who are worse off than you to fund your lifestyle. Cut yourself some slack and show yourself some love.
1596373215967.gif

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Speaking of crisp butties I've just had a vege finger and chip butty with lashings of butter. So good.

Big love to anyone triggered by the mother thread. Money is such an emotive topic not only with others but within ourselves.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
A salad pot. From M&S. Fancy.
Fancy and delish. I love their salads. I used to always buy their roasted aubergine, wild rice and lentil salad with a garlic dressing. Absolutely delish. Then they went and discontinued it. 😔I now make my own as I taught myself how (Jackie and Lloyd Grossman style) as I saved the ingredient sticker in one of my many notebooks. I can post the recipe if anyone’s interested? I’m having that later with some roasted chicken (on the bone breast and wings) with a salt, pepper and fennel seed rub done on my Kamado bbq (fancy! But the Aldi version not the £££££££s green egg)

• Heart
Reactions: 12

🚨 ALERT ALERT ALERT🚨

I have finally ordered an anti hair wrap cordless Shark vacuum!

I’m slightly saddened by how excited I am over it 😂
I ordered mine after being influenced by @GrunkaLunka in the good old days of the mother thread when we could sidetrack about such things. It’s really good and particularly magic when you come to empty the canister and all the hair is wrapped around the filter and easy to remove like magic! My old dyson animal cordless was the witch from hell to clean and had 2 lots of long human hair wrapped around the brush at all times. I also like the headlights on the shark, even in Daylight you can see what you are hoovering. The pet hair attachment is v good for upholstery and stairs too!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I had a mug of a simple Tom yum soup for my lunch today, Mae Ploy paste 😋. Am making Kung pao prawn stir-fry tonight with some veggies from the garden.

Anyone else care to share today's nibbles?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I had a quesadilla for lunch, filling was just random stuff - the last of the ham from the ham hock I used to make my pea and ham soup, cheese, sundried tomatoes, chilli flakes - but was really tasty. For dinner I'm going to have a yellow sticker curry from the freezer, with nice rice, yogurt and fresh coriander. Really looking forward to it, am going to slob out in front of Netflix with it.

Reactions: 14
So much daily spending is habit though- I filled my car on way to the airport last week for the first time since March! I’m not nipping to the shop at work because I’m bored. I’ve bought some new t shirts and a packet of knickers, but as I’m not going into an office, I’m not buying work clothes. I’ve got spare cash now at the end of the month to stick in a savings pot. It is definitely an eye opener

(mind you I’m spending a lot more on weekly shoos because my ravenous kids just don’t stop eating at the moment!)
Agree @Raker not having to buy work stuff is great, It looks like I’ll be working from home a lot more too so saving on lunches, snacks and petrol. My kids are eating me out house and home, a punnet of strawberries or net of tangerines lasts a morning 😱

I am LOVING my Shark, I keep finding things to Hoover... most unlike me 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Mate, there’s no need to be ashamed or feel guilty of that. Admitting you’ve got a problem and facing up to it is a bloody brave thing to do & you should be proud of addressing it. Just doing that shows you’re nothing like her. Accepting but not making best use of family members’ help is also absolutely nothing like begging (by misleading) for strangers who are worse off than you to fund your lifestyle. Cut yourself some slack and show yourself some love.
View attachment 199699
😭 thank you x

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I had a mug of a simple Tom yum soup for my lunch today, Mae Ploy paste 😋. Am making Kung pao prawn stir-fry tonight with some veggies from the garden.

Anyone else care to share today's nibbles?
that sounds delish, im having a lats lunch inthe park of a salad with marinated salmon (i didn't make it so now idea of ingredients but it smells bbq ish) and wine 😊

Reactions: 8
On my post the other day I nearly added on that I liked ham crisps! I'm glad I didn't now 😂 but genuinely, ham and mustard crisps are 😋 (I however am not a ham crisp).
Oh my god! You’ve just reminded me of the most epic ham and English mustard crisps ever! You could only get them from the pub and this was early mid 90s. They were proper flavoured with eye rolling English mustard nose powers! Fraus, I present to you, the late, great KING CUT GROOVERS! (Only photo I could find, the packaging for the ham and mustard was pink, blue and white from memory) happy days!

Attachments

• Haha
I had some little meze type things for lunch which I freely admit I bought- the little peppers filled with soft cheese, prawns in a spicy tomato sauce and some mini mozzarellas and sun dried tomatoes.

(I might also have had some Tesco's fizzy bubblegum bottles afterwards).

Tonight will be roast chicken with veg and I'll make a stock for Chicken and sweetcorn soup for tomorrow.

Reactions: 11
Wise Fraus, my courgettes are just about to hit their peak, any inspiring things I can do with them? It isn't something we really ever eat but I grow them as they're usually successful. They just end up ribboned in a stir fry at the mo.
You must try and deep fry the blossoms! Either on their own or :

stuffed with a teaspoon of a mix of drained ricotta, nutmeg, grated parm, lemon zest, chopped mint/parsley and *plenty* of black pepper and/or dried chilli flakes

a small piece of drained and patted dry torn mozzarella (not the buffalo as it’s too wet) and a small piece of anchovy or caper

if the blossoms are attached to a baby courgette all the better!

I’ve done a lot of research into the best type of batter. I think a tempura batter is best for the unstuffed versions and a thicker, egg based bubbly batter better for the stuffed as it protects the fillings more.

Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon after draining on kitchen paper, sprinkling with fine sea salt.

regarding the courgettes themselves, if you like garlic, then slow cooking slices of courgette in olive oil /butter and sliced garlic in a frying pan until really soft and melting really is delicious.

also I like to make grated halloumi and courgette fritters and serve them with a garlicky, mint Greek yoghurt dip.

Madhur jaffrey does an amazing yoghurt Raita courgette dip. It’s a bit of a faff but worth the effort.

Made these today, fraus. Did some baking. They’re kind of a cross between a scone and a cookie (they don’t have as much sugar in as cookies and I add milk, so they’re more scone-y in texture).
I like to call them S’come On, cos maverick, innit.
View attachment 199030
Fwoar!!!!!

• Heart
I’m finding the money aspect of the mother thread triggery, I’m in a hell of a lot of self inflicted debt from a few years of v poor mental health where I spent huge amounts on credit cards and took unsupportable loans. Am on a plan with step change now so have faced up to it, but I can see clear as day that JM spends to make herself feel better temporarily then the realisation hits. It’s making my guilt come back over what I’ve done as I had family help and squandered it too. Anyway I might not be on as much and also feel I want to try having some early nights and taking some exercise to help my brain. I love all you Fraus though but will just jump on for a bit at sensible times to catch up 💕
Are you on insta? Look at @myfrugalyear on there, she talks a LOT about this in a really lovely and non shame-y way but basically debt isn't a moral reflection on a person at all, it's shockingly easy to fall into debt and they're only making it easier & easier with these buy now pay later schemes. Any time I go on any site it's always asking me if I want to divide my retinol purchase into 3 payments of £1.27, some default to a klarna checkout option, like it's a bleeping minefield to navigate. Then you've got influencers not declaring tit so these ridiculously premium lifestyles feel totally normal & obtainable, so women (and it is largely targeted at us!!!) end up getting into trouble trying to keep up. It's especially insidious if you're sad or feel less than, and see these women living these lovely lifestyles and you think that just another house plant / made.com lamp / etc will make you feel that way too? Then there's so much shame & secrecy around money no one talks about it, and we should. Sorry to be evangelical but it really winds me up, it's why I love tattle and calling out these influencers because they're living a 1% lifestyle and not declaring diddly and it causes proper grief for actual humans at the end of the day.

Myfrugalyear's book is brilliant btw, you likely won't need the third chapter as step change are brill so will have you on the best path possible but it's like therapy. I genuinely believe I've had to re-program my brain to not be influenced by social media or triggered to buy, I've pre-emptively blocked all the big mama accounts so I don't end up buying £££ stuff (the savvy ladies in the SODs threads warned me about this), like influencers created a boiled frogs scenario where none of us realised what was happening and couldn't see the woods for the trees uno? So it's hard work to actually think, hold up she's only telling me this is fab because they've paid her £20k for this grid post and given it her for free? She's actually selling it on her depop 3 months later??

Sorry for the rant but honestly, please don't let this bother you JM is a bleeping moron. I found it incredibly triggering yesterday and didn't really want to go into why cos it felt like overshare but we had a horrid time early this year, I think it must have been Jan's tax bill, where I was unwell (with tumours lolz not 'burn out' for a self employed lazy bones!) last year I was lucky enough my husband took loads of time off to be with me. Our accountant was clearly tit & lazy and didn't forewarn us of this massive sum due, usually we were always cushty as like most self employed people you leave a bleeping buffer in the account as HMRC are non stop on you, anyway he clearly wasn't checking in on us? Anyway my husband has a history of quite bad depression and idk why but this really bleeping upset him, it was a really dark 2 week period as we tried to solve it (it took all of our personal savings we'd built post buying our house) but I couldn't have cared less about the money, I genuinely at points was terrified he'd do the very worst as he was saying such scary tit to me (about guilt/shame/why would I want to be with him) where he was so sad, I was really early in my pregnancy and worried the worry would ruin that too. I didn't want to go to work and leave him, was crying on the tube in, crying in the loos, cried in a subway once mid sandwich order in front of a colleague. I didn't realise JM had bothered me til he came up last night and asked why I looked so sad, it must have shown on my face but I was just shaking my head at the whole thing mouth agape cos she really doesn't have a bleeping clue. She's clearly manicly overspent because she's just a spoilt brat, maybe thought Louisa would come around so she didn't need to save 50% of the rent, and has just realised she's got to grow the duck up and make trade offs like the rest of us?!! She's an actual bleep.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Are you on insta? Look at @myfrugalyear on there, she talks a LOT about this in a really lovely and non shame-y way but basically debt isn't a moral reflection on a person at all, it's shockingly easy to fall into debt and they're only making it easier & easier with these buy now pay later schemes. Any time I go on any site it's always asking me if I want to divide my retinol purchase into 3 payments of £1.27, some default to a klarna checkout option, like it's a bleeping minefield to navigate. Then you've got influencers not declaring tit so these ridiculously premium lifestyles feel totally normal & obtainable, so women (and it is largely targeted at us!!!) end up getting into trouble trying to keep up. It's especially insidious if you're sad or feel less than, and see these women living these lovely lifestyles and you think that just another house plant / made.com lamp / etc will make you feel that way too? Then there's so much shame & secrecy around money no one talks about it, and we should. Sorry to be evangelical but it really winds me up, it's why I love tattle and calling out these influencers because they're living a 1% lifestyle and not declaring diddly and it causes proper grief for actual humans at the end of the day.

Myfrugalyear's book is brilliant btw, you likely won't need the third chapter as step change are brill so will have you on the best path possible but it's like therapy. I genuinely believe I've had to re-program my brain to not be influenced by social media or triggered to buy, I've pre-emptively blocked all the big mama accounts so I don't end up buying £££ stuff (the savvy ladies in the SODs threads warned me about this), like influencers created a boiled frogs scenario where none of us realised what was happening and couldn't see the woods for the trees uno? So it's hard work to actually think, hold up she's only telling me this is fab because they've paid her £20k for this grid post and given it her for free? She's actually selling it on her depop 3 months later??

Sorry for the rant but honestly, please don't let this bother you JM is a bleeping moron. I found it incredibly triggering yesterday and didn't really want to go into why cos it felt like overshare but we had a horrid time early this year, I think it must have been Jan's tax bill, where I was unwell (with tumours lolz not 'burn out' for a self employed lazy bones!) last year I was lucky enough my husband took loads of time off to be with me. Our accountant was clearly tit & lazy and didn't forewarn us of this massive sum due, usually we were always cushty as like most self employed people you leave a bleeping buffer in the account as HMRC are non stop on you, anyway he clearly wasn't checking in on us? Anyway my husband has a history of quite bad depression and idk why but this really bleeping upset him, it was a really dark 2 week period as we tried to solve it (it took all of our personal savings we'd built post buying our house) but I couldn't have cared less about the money, I genuinely at points was terrified he'd do the very worst as he was saying such scary tit to me (about guilt/shame/why would I want to be with him) where he was so sad, I was really early in my pregnancy and worried the worry would ruin that too. I didn't want to go to work and leave him, was crying on the tube in, crying in the loos, cried in a subway once mid sandwich order in front of a colleague. I didn't realise JM had bothered me til he came up last night and asked why I looked so sad, it must have shown on my face but I was just shaking my head at the whole thing mouth agape cos she really doesn't have a bleeping clue. She's clearly manicly overspent because she's just a spoilt brat, maybe thought Louisa would come around so she didn't need to save 50% of the rent, and has just realised she's got to grow the duck up and make trade offs like the rest of us?!! She's an actual bleep.
It’s insidious you don’t realise you’re keeping up with the Joneses while you’re doing it. I deleted insta a couple weeks ago, deleted Facebook at beginning of lockdown. The comparisons with what everyone else seems to have and be able to do was doing me in.

I’ve come across myfrugalyear though and it seemed so rational; the road ahead seems so long though I’ve got like 9 years on this plan and I’ll be almost 50. Ive lived alone for much much longer than I ever expected I would and just want someone to come along and save me, stupidly.
Each month paying a large amount on debt makes me think what I could have been doing with that money, but before lockdown I was feeling good about doing something about it and that I just paid that to StepChange and they dealt with everything (they’ve been BRILL).

I’m sorry you had that stress, it’s awful AWFUL the things that go through your mind out of sheer dread and desperation. The most empowering thing was when my debt management plan started and I just stopped the direct debits I couldn’t afford to pay, and accepted they’d default. The world didn’t end.

She’s just disgusting, and spitting that she couldn’t possibly go back on benefits when I rely on my tax credits to survive yet still work a full time job and can’t just spend 22 hours in bed wailing even when I really want to. She’s undoubtedly had some very good luck and opportunities handed to her and I’d like to think in the same position I’d have made use of that, heck if Nigella was retweeting my work today I’d feel a hell of a lot more secure than I currently do! She just doesn’t want to put the effort into it. She’s triggered us all in so many different ways I don’t know if it’s worth keeping up with it now even for the jaw dropping gossip aspect of it!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Yes please!
Ok here it is:

Roasted aubergine, wild rice and lentil salad with a garlic dressing

Shopping list:
2 large aubergines
1 tin green lentils or cook your own.
Either a pouch of ready steamed long grain and wild rice or cook your own (I used to always cook my own then I discovered Tilda pouches, so much easier!!)
1 red/orange pepper
Good green celery
Spring onions
Garlic
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Lemon

2 fat aubergines, cubed into approx 2 cm squares. Spread them out onto your biggest roasting tray, preferably on some parchment paper so they don’t stick. rub them in a good amount of olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in a hot oven, turning them halfway,for around 35-40 mins until golden, slightly charred on some edges and meltingly soft flesh. Set aside to cool

while they are baking, prep the veg:

slice a few sticks of good, green celery into little rounds or diagonals.

Same for some crunchy spring onions (including the green part)

chop a red (or orange or yellow) pepper into approx 1cm dice

chop a palmful of flat leaf parsley

in a large bowl, combine the cooled aubergine with all the other vegetables and parsley. Add in the cooked wild rice mix/ pouch contents and the drained lentils (Fraus, I RINSE and let them drain in a sieve until fairly dry)

this mix is now ready to stay in your fridge and will do quite a few portions for a few days. I make the dressing separately and only dress what quantity I want to eat at the time. Everything stays fresher tasting and crunchier this way,

dressing:

I do this by eye and taste but it does need to be punchy and well seasoned otherwise the salad will be bland.

2/3 gloves garlic, crushed to a paste with sea salt
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
9 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp warm water
Black pepper (PLENTY)

shake all together in a lidded jar to emulsify or use a sauce whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning/more garlic/salt/acid (some lemon maybe?)

enjoy! Xxx

• Heart
Sounds lovely Moppers — and there’s an opportunity to rinse some beans lentils — what fun!

Hugs to all with the money woes. This is a really tit time for lots of things, but it seems to really amplify things that niggle (or worse) and dredge a lot of tit up from the past.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.