Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also on crisps - jelly tots... I bought one of those sharing bags for hospital bag, obviously I've opened them prior to that, and they're bleeping disgusting?! Have they always been? I remember loving them, I think the small packs have smaller gems which are a bit tougher so nicer, it's like tanfastics only taste nice in the baby packets the full ones are sort of gross?
Yes they have totally changed the recipe! They used to be flatter like discs and they're more like gumdrops?

Morning fraus! I had a lovely evening last night where I cooked my boyfriend a 3 course dinner! I successfully pullled off my first ever creme brulee which I know is hardly GBBO standard but for someone who can just about manage fairy cakes it was a big deal 🤣

Is anyone having a nice Sunday dinner today? I'm attempting a nut roast!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Ohhh I'm going to make those straws and report back - new I could count on you flumps!

Also crisps chat: what is the greatest flavour/brand? I personally think a bag of smokey bacon walkers is hard to beat but I know I'm alone on this one...
I’m now on a subject on which I feel I have some authority and experience talking about 🤣😂

Firstly, I have a gripe that in most big supermarkets, you can only buy Singular large bags of “posh” crisps like kettles and tyrells and the tesco/Sainsbury’s own brand equivalents. If you want normal crisps, you have to buy a multipack walkers. Last year, you could buy walkers tear and share (amazing as slightly thicker cut) and they also did a large ready salted and salt and vinegar bags. All disappeared now. Crisps from multipacks never quite cut the mustard, they always feel thinner and less crunchy and a bit sorry for themselves (a bit like how I imagine the sweepings from the factory floor to be 😪)

Why the market takeover by kettle chips? They are too hard and crunchy and can be quite greasy. Tyrells aren’t so bad, and I really liked their ridged crisps.

HANDS DOWN, THE BEST normal crisps are M&S full on flavour range. I’m a purist so I stick to ready salted but their salt n vinegar and Worcester sauce are really good too. I can easily snarf a whole largebag and I’m not ashamed to admit it 😂 although I’ve seen recently they’ve started to do multipacks in their larger food halls.

If I can ever find McCoys ridged crisps that are salt and vinegar, I do like them a lot. I don’t like bbq steak or any of their other “macho” flavours.

monster munch are a fun treat but they do have to be pickled onion flavour. I appreciate I’m veering into savoury snack territory here...

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Morning fraus! I had a lovely evening last night where I cooked my boyfriend a 3 course dinner! I successfully pullled off my first ever creme brulee which I know is hardly GBBO standard but for someone who can just about manage fairy cakes it was a big deal 🤣
Ooo, how did you get the crispy top, do you have one of those burner things?

And, morning everyone! Looking forward to doggie updates from @Saint_clemmie today - I don't think you should be awkward with your neighbours when they return, you were put in a bad spot and if anything, you've done them a HUGE favour.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Sorry to lower the standards but I love a packet of monster munch, especially in a sandwich.
I’m really with my people now! 😂I’ll raise you to a white bread, salted butter ready salted hula hoop sandwich? The joy...

You know how I said about crisps and I don’t eat crisps well I made a great spaghetti ala crisps I’ll share the recipe hidden here who was Scottish over it’s basically pasta and crisps Bon Appetito!
I’m all for double carbs!

You know how I said about crisps and I don’t eat crisps well I made a great spaghetti ala crisps I’ll share the recipe hidden here who was Scottish over it’s basically pasta and crisps Bon Appetito!
I’m all for double carbs!

Frazzle sandwich. Bosh!
Frazzles, love em, but they are the gift that keeps on giving 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Totally off topic and not food related sorry!
but advice please if you have it, my neighbours have gone away overnight and left their young dog in the garden. Poor thing has been frantically barking for hours, a couple of neighbours have knocked on our door asking about him.

I don’t know what to do, it’s not the noise I’m concerned about, it’s him being distressed.
What would you do?

- etd : I want to bring him in to ours but a bit nervous as I don’t know him or the neighbours. They’re not around much.
Honestly I’d call the rspca, how people can treat their pets like this is beyond me. I feel bad leaving my cat at home during the day when I’m at work

Reactions: 6
Yes they have totally changed the recipe! They used to be flatter like discs and they're more like gumdrops?

Is anyone having a nice Sunday dinner today? I'm attempting a nut roast!
Re. nut roast, I add a teaspoon of Marmite dissolved in a small cup of hot water, I'm not a very good cook but this always adds lovely texture and flavour.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Honestly I’d call the rspca, how people can treat their pets like this is beyond me. I feel bad leaving my cat at home during the day when I’m at work
Sorry just catching up and saw this didn’t work! Hope it’s going well 🤞

Reactions: 8
Ooo, how did you get the crispy top, do you have one of those burner things?

And, morning everyone! Looking forward to doggie updates from @Saint_clemmie today - I don't think you should be awkward with your neighbours when they return, you were put in a bad spot and if anything, you've done them a HUGE favour.
Morning. Sorry it’s late, unsurprisingly didn’t get much sleep. The dog was unsettled all night, strange house and not used to being in. The neighbours knocked at 6am, we’re fine, didn’t talk, just said “thank you, sorry”, obviously embarrassed. I went back to bed.

He’s outside barking now 😑 and they’re home. I think he has separation anxiety.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Ooh That Man has a new show again this month, centred around nice but affordable family meals. Covering a lot of niches isn't he 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Ooh That Man has a new show again this month, centred around nice but affordable family meals. Covering a lot of niches isn't he 🤭
Came here to say the fro yo pictures/ideas he put up today included brown bread ice cream 🤯😱 Call the police he’s stolen her niche 👮‍♀️🚨

To be honest, I hadn’t followed him in years until he became THAT MAN. Started following him then & loving his feeds. He has loads of quick, cheap ideas that can easily be adapted & loads of veggie stuff (that can be veganised pretty easily). Quite thankful to Jack for giving me so much culinary inspiration (by getting me to follow someone else 😂).

Buddy Oliver: better presenter and cook than Jack Monroe. I will die on that hill.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I know I said I was tired of the Mother Thread, but the antics of the last 24 hours....

I 💝 Silvio

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I know I said I was tired of the Mother Thread, but the antics of the last 24 hours....

I 💝 Silvio
Lmaooo this vid. I know, I cannot get over it? I honestly think she’s a manic spender and must have spunked the lot over the last few weeks and is now shitting herself about how she’s going to pay for her fixed outgoings for the next few months now work has dried up. She’s in for a significantly bigger shock when the tax & VAT bills are due 😂

I know this is hugely privileged but I’ve saved so much during covid just cos you don’t have those normal triggers to purchase / rewarding yourself for getting through another awful week / buying food out cos you’re so shattered / tbh life is easier to manage. It’s been really nice having so much time in the house to actually think about what we need and how to use our space, we’ve ended up swapping our living / dining room area over & buying loads of (smallish) utility bits that just make life so much easier. JM is so privileged she’s always been able to live like this tbh?!

Reactions: 20
Lmaooo this vid. I know, I cannot get over it? I honestly think she’s a manic spender and must have spunked the lot over the last few weeks and is now shitting herself about how she’s going to pay for her fixed outgoings for the next few months now work has dried up. She’s in for a significantly bigger shock when the tax & VAT bills are due 😂

I know this is hugely privileged but I’ve saved so much during covid just cos you don’t have those normal triggers to purchase / rewarding yourself for getting through another awful week / buying food out cos you’re so shattered / tbh life is easier to manage. It’s been really nice having so much time in the house to actually think about what we need and how to use our space, we’ve ended up swapping our living / dining room area over & buying loads of (smallish) utility bits that just make life so much easier. JM is so privileged she’s always been able to live like this tbh?!
Totally agree @heretoreaditall2019 during lockdown I’ve been furloughed, so 20% less pay. I’ve been ok as I’ve meal planned and ordered online plus not bought any wee extras. I mean food or for the kids. I’ve noticed in the last couple of weeks, now that I’m back to work and husband working away so on my own with the kids, spending has gone way up! Firstly, I’m going to the shops and secondly as under 12s allowed to mix I’ve always got a crowd of kids in my back garden (so pizzas, ice lollies etc).

Lockdown felt a much calmer affair and clearly more frugal. JM has the luxury of child free time (a lot I’m guessing). Sorry to be boring but I’m realising “normal life” is much more expensive!

• Heart
I know this is hugely privileged but I’ve saved so much during covid just cos you don’t have those normal triggers to purchase / rewarding yourself for getting through another awful week / buying food out cos you’re so shattered / tbh life is easier to manage.
Yeah, the whole lockdown thing has actually been really good for me managing my outgoings, I save so much just by not thoughtlessly popping into the shops on my way home. Like it was always impossible for me to leave the house without spending about £20 before, and that's not even including travel or buying anything 'essential'! And only going to the supermarket one a week/fortnight has been quite eye-opening, it really makes you figure out what you actually need / use and exactly how much you spend on it. Also I'm looking at my bank app more often, and trying to cut down on various pointless direct debits, or at least reduce them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Nando's in South Africa (where it originates) is best known for its amazing adverts. Very dark comedy, often deeply political, and usually banned within a day. It's a national treasure for this reason.

When it came to the UK, I was really disappointed that it focused on food and not, say, making ads about Robert Mugabe being sad that Gaddafi's death has left him as the last of the dictators and now he can't share his Nando's meal deal (look up "last dictator standing" if you're curious. It's my all-time favourite).
I too have only been once to Nando’s, about 20 years ago, it was ok but nothing spectacular. Maybe it got better? Anyway, the Nando’s chat got me remembering listening to this whilst driving. Worth a listen

She’s not a well woman that Jack

I’ve still not cooked properly for myself I feel poo. Also my daughter being a hormonal pre teen has made my period go awol and I’ve had PMT for a month now. I’d think I was up the duff if I’d had a sniff of cock

(sorry tmi fraus!)
Sorry for my laugh emoji, it wasn’t at you feeling poo and PMT at all, I do hope you are feeling better and more yourself soon ❤.

I’ve had (starting in the middle of the night)period-induced (changing the bedsheet) wakefulness and got through it with an early cuppa and grunking this thread where I found the celebrity chef gossip link, I’ve been grunking that this morning too. Fresh in the memory of discovering one of my telly chef favourites has a cheesy knob, your comment of having a sniff of cock made me laugh out loud and feel a bit gippy at the same time! 🤣🤢

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Yeah, the whole lockdown thing has actually been really good for me managing my outgoings, I save so much just by not thoughtlessly popping into the shops on my way home. Like it was always impossible for me to leave the house without spending about £20 before, and that's not even including travel or buying anything 'essential'! And only going to the supermarket one a week/fortnight has been quite eye-opening, it really makes you figure out what you actually need / use and exactly how much you spend on it. Also I'm looking at my bank app more often, and trying to cut down on various pointless direct debits, or at least reduce them.
This. I am terrible for spending a fiver here and there in a shop for something to do on the way home... and not buying a cold can and crisps from canteen at work has helped too. Definitely an eye opener.

Reactions: 11
This. I am terrible for spending a fiver here and there in a shop for something to do on the way home... and not buying a cold can and crisps from canteen at work has helped too. Definitely an eye opener.
I’m the same and thought I’d knocked it on the head after being forced to during lockdown but as soon as Starbucks reopened I was back buying almond milk mocha Frappuccino’s at £4.20 a pop 🙄 really need to be more mindful about things like this. I actually saved so much in lockdown that I bought my first pair of raybans and they’ve changed my life haha I had no idea that sunglasses could actually be so good

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.