Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I like Nando’s but I’m not obsessed with it like some people get! I won’t be having it again now they’ve removed my favourite flavour, mango and lime 😭

love the first pro, should i wander round with one of those signs people have in airportswith your username do you can recognise me? 😂😂😂
You could give out Toffee Fingers to people you think may be me? I wear glasses to give you a head start. It’ll be like a real world guess who.

I’ve just read an article that Southend has been rated as one of the top places for a staycation so it could actually be a good option!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I love Zizzi! For a chain (👀), its one of the nicer ones imo. Their pastas are lovely!
King prawn linguine has been one of my faves there for years, I spend an age dithering over the menu while my husband rolls his eyes and laughs as he knows what I'm going to settle on 😂
Also love an occasional rustica pizza,. anything spicy, roquito chillies, Nduja (fancy) sausage etc

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
King prawn linguine has been one of my faves there for years, I spend an age dithering over the menu while my husband rolls his eyes and laughs as he knows what I'm going to settle on 😂
Also love an occasional rustica pizza,. anything spicy, roquito chillies, Nduja (fancy) sausage etc
Im the same, always end up getting the same in there but will always muse over the menu! Their wild boar al forno 🤤🤤🤤

Ask actually used to do baked meatballs on garlic & rosemary focaccia. It was lovely!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have been to Nando’s once, also didn’t get the hype. Nothing wrong with it but think I was expecting a near religious experience after years of hearing about it and then it was just, okay.

Totally lost but very amused by all the crispy crisp chat. Guessing a good grunka will need to happen to get fully acquainted with all the flavours.

For triangulation purposes I had genuinely never heard of Tattle prior to last week. I’d been following the JM DW thread on mumsnet, though I’m not an active mumsnetter myself. And that thread I only stumbled across in ‘active threads’ while searching for something else (lockdown exercise suggestions if you must know) (trying to buy a cheap rebounder if anyone got any recommendations 😁) I use Twatter as a news source/following general silliness but am not a tweeter. I have followed JM for years, but have never bought any of her books or paid too much attention to her really. So it’s been a very slow burn for me. I originally followed her because she popped up on my feed a couple of times years back when I was collecting accounts to follow, and since then it’s been the old familiar back and forth routine between eye rolling at her, followed by pity. Over time it became more of a morbid fascination watching her shenanigans, but again largely ignoring her because I didn’t engage with any of it nor was I personally invested. But despite having zero interest in DW myself, something about reading that MN thread made all the years of noticing the inconsistencies and dramas and all the bleeping eyeroll inducing bollocks come to a head and I was fascinated to read about other people’s observations, particularly as Twitter only ever seems to show the arse lickers - because DELETE.
Anyway, one poster linked to the tattle threads and I was fully on the hook at that point so came over for a nosey. Had to sign up to read ‘the receipts’ <- love that expression, and boy was it worth it! 😂

Apologies for epic post, but just wanted to initiate triangulation.

Also, I am not a partaker of meat flavour crisps.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I haven't either. I know they do a veggie option, but the thought of eating while surrounded with people eating chicken on the bone makes me feel so squeamish. I mean, I don't know much about it tbf but don't they just bring out a chicken's body chopped in half?!

I am not veggie (used to be pescatarian) but only ever eat veggie at Nando’s - beanie pitta, amazing!

Reactions: 7
Also, I had never heard of flying ant day until a couple of weeks ago when it was mentioned on Twitter a few times. And now today.

Is it really a thing?

I have no flying ants near my person. I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I saw one. And I’m outside a lot. In the countryside. (For triangulation spreadsheet).

• Haha
  • Wow
Also, I had never heard of flying ant day until a couple of weeks ago when it was mentioned on Twitter a few times. And now today.

Is it really a thing?

I have no flying ants near my person. I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I saw one. And I’m outside a lot. In the countryside. (For triangulation spreadsheet).
Yes it’s sadly a real thing. Usually late July/early August when the weather is right so they can mate. Sometimes the swarms are so big they show up as big rain patches on weather radars 🤢

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Our flying ant day was last week. I was like 🤔 the weather forecast is glorious sunshine but it's grey out?🤔 nope, the sky was blue, the air was just full of SWARMING CREATURES. Boak.

• Sick
  • Wow
Another one who has never heard of flying ant day.

Is this a southern/English thing?

Never noticed any up here although they may have been scared by the midges

Is it really a thing?

Yes definitely a thing. A friend and I called it Flying Ant Day for years before we realised everyone else did too and we weren't unique (maverick) 😂

Though they haven't been as bad around here for many a year for some reason. They used to hatch in our garden in very specific spots, same places each year but seem to have moved on now.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Aww no, just checked the mother thread and there's a new one.

Yesterday was hard enough to get through.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Another one who has never heard of flying ant day.

Is this a southern/English thing?

Never noticed any up here although they may have been scared by the midges
I think it happens all over the UK but they do like warm weather and are more noticeable in built up areas because of this. So I guess they are more obvious down South. Another reason I dislike our warmer weather!

Nando's in South Africa (where it originates) is best known for its amazing adverts. Very dark comedy, often deeply political, and usually banned within a day. It's a national treasure for this reason.

When it came to the UK, I was really disappointed that it focused on food and not, say, making ads about Robert Mugabe being sad that Gaddafi's death has left him as the last of the dictators and now he can't share his Nando's meal deal (look up "last dictator standing" if you're curious. It's my all-time favourite).

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
i haven't seen flying amt day since i was a child, anyone else in London still get it??
Yeah definitely still happens.🔺 I used to live in a house where the garden backed on to the local park🔺, and ohhhh... The swarm was terrible.

I wish mosquitoes were like flying ants though, two days of hell and then you never see them again. 😒

Erm I have a confession Fraus, I’ve never had a Nando’s, there I said it. Just didn’t appeal as everyone was going on about it, I can be a bit cantankerous like that.
I do love a Nando's. Obviously it's not haute cuisine, but it's relatively cheap, cheerful and fantastic for groups (paying separately when ordering!), and their chicken is alright. One thing that I love the most about Nando's however is their mayonnaise, and I'm not talking about the stuff you can buy in the supermarkets. But their bog standard mayonnaise you ask for and get for free is THE BEST MAYONNAISE, and I consider myself quite the mayonnaise connoisseur (which probably isn't something I should boast about... 🙄).

Also Zizzi is great because they always have offers. I refuse to pay full price in there as there is always a 20-40% discount code floating about. Love their calzones! 😍

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
The mother thread has got dark.....

Jam tarts! They don’t use lemon curd anymore, they use apricot jam. Boo. I hate jam and I remember fighting my siblings for the lemon one. Sets my teeth on edge now!

Never had a nandos, I’m too scared of meat cross contamination and I hate seeing even adverts for kfc where stuff is still on a bone like a medieval banquet. 🤢

• Heart
  • Sick
She’s not a well woman that Jack

I’ve still not cooked properly for myself I feel poo. Also my daughter being a hormonal pre teen has made my period go awol and I’ve had PMT for a month now. I’d think I was up the duff if I’d had a sniff of cock

(sorry tmi fraus!)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
She’s not a well woman that Jack

I’ve still not cooked properly for myself I feel poo. Also my daughter being a hormonal pre teen has made my period go awol and I’ve had PMT for a month now. I’d think I was up the duff if I’d had a sniff of cock

(sorry tmi fraus!)
A sniff of cock feels like a very Alan way of putting it. I like it. I’m sorry you’re not feeling great ❤ I’ve skipped the Jack thread for tonight, can’t even face grunka-ing it as I usually do

• Heart
A sniff of cock feels like a very Alan way of putting it. I like it. I’m sorry you’re not feeling great ❤ I’ve skipped the Jack thread for tonight, can’t even face grunka-ing it as I usually do
It’s a bit...yeah a bit much, I know 💕

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.