Food and Drink #53

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Talking about flights and private jets, did anyone see that there is an airline for dogs called Bark Air? Unfortunately it’s run into a bit of trouble in Westchester County (🤨) but if I was Rish! rich, tunnel dog would deffo be coming on globe trotting holidays with us (as opposed to dog friendly homes close to the Wall).

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Hi Fraus, I’m in a very fortunate position to be looking at holidays overseas.
we’ve been looking on Skyscanner for flights; does anyone have experience of using it? I mean actually booking through it rather than look at the front page?
We’re looking at flights to somewhere on 🌍 -one way it shows as £583 per person, but when we go onto the airline’s website for that exact flight it’s £1,283 each. The £583 price diverts to an unknown site.
Is it all just a big take on?
Skyscanner will only show the very cheapest options usually through third parties, so then if you go straight to the airline and want to put things like luggage on unfortunately it will always be more expensive. It can be useful to give you an idea of when travel is cheaper/more expensive but I'd personally avoid using it to book through. I tend to go via the airline directly even if it's more expensive - just gives me the peace of mind that it would be easier to get a refund/claim my money via insurance than going through a third party.
---
Wow! That must have been … I can’t even think of the words. I was crying at the clip of the documentary during the news. She’s an icon of the most epic proportions.
I felt quite emotional at times! I'm an angsty elder emo at heart but there's something about her I love.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Mr F tried using Skyscanner once and ended up with a subscription to a travel agent called eDreams, which I was highly suspicious was something else entirely when it popped up on the bank statement!! Which reminds me, I must try and cancel it before it autorenews in about 10 months' time.

I've had to remove TinyPony from the long grass three times today and I suspect, given I can't see him out of the kitchen window, I'm going to have to do it a fourth time before we all turn in for the night. Not quite sure how he's getting through three strands of electric fence tape (admittedly not with the zap turned on), but I've identified a possible spot where the ground dips a bit and filled the gap with the mucking out rake and hopper, so hopefully that might have done the trick.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I looked on skyscanner recently and it was full of 10 hr one stop flights for a two hour journey and gave up. They weren’t even cheap. I found jet2 flights better.

Reactions: 12
Mr F tried using Skyscanner once and ended up with a subscription to a travel agent called eDreams, which I was highly suspicious was something else entirely when it popped up on the bank statement!! Which reminds me, I must try and cancel it before it autorenews in about 10 months' time.

I've had to remove TinyPony from the long grass three times today and I suspect, given I can't see him out of the kitchen window, I'm going to have to do it a fourth time before we all turn in for the night. Not quite sure how he's getting through three strands of electric fence tape (admittedly not with the zap turned on), but I've identified a possible spot where the ground dips a bit and filled the gap with the mucking out rake and hopper, so hopefully that might have done the trick.
Yes, too much grass and he’ll have laminitis *nods sagely*
been reading about horses. Never even ridden one!

There is a very cheeky escaping sheep at the bottom of the village at the moment. It's very cute, still at the stage of being a mischievous lamb rather than a fully grown woolly wally. Their brains fall out once they reach maturity, I swear.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Yes, too much grass and he’ll have laminitis *nods sagely*
been reading about horses. Never even ridden one!
I know pretty much nothing about horses, I’ve ridden a cart horse though, it was very high up! Apologies if there’s a proper name for them, it was giant.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
There is a very cheeky escaping sheep at the bottom of the village at the moment. It's very cute, still at the stage of being a mischievous lamb rather than a fully grown woolly wally. Their brains fall out once they reach maturity, I swear.
North Country Cheviots can be quite bright. My land is dotted round the village, so when I bring them in off the hill they might be going to the field opposite the village hall, the field next to our house, the field behind the holiday let or the field out on the point. They know which gates are 'theirs' and will go and stand at the first one they get to, wait to see if I open it, and if I don't they'll walk past all the other gates until they get to the next one that's theirs and wait there, rinse and repeat. They can pick out the sound of our quad bike as opposed to the six others in the village and I once had a flock leader called April (RIP) who would tell me when they all wanted to come in from the hill - she'd lead them to one of the hill gates, wait until she saw me on the road, either on the quad or on foot, and start all of them baaing until I looked up and saw them.

I know pretty much nothing about horses, I’ve ridden a cart horse though, it was very high up! Apologies if there’s a proper name for them, it was giant.
Probably a Shire horse or a Clydesdale if it was in the UK. The French and Belgians have some phenomenally chunky agricultural horses though,

Belgian Draught Horse
1718316679526.jpeg

Ardennes
1718316712419.jpeg

Comtois
1718316753451.jpeg

And my favourite, Percheron
1718316793479.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
North Country Cheviots can be quite bright. My land is dotted round the village, so when I bring them in off the hill they might be going to the field opposite the village hall, the field next to our house, the field behind the holiday let or the field out on the point. They know which gates are 'theirs' and will go and stand at the first one they get to, wait to see if I open it, and if I don't they'll walk past all the other gates until they get to the next one that's theirs and wait there, rinse and repeat. They can pick out the sound of our quad bike as opposed to the six others in the village and I once had a flock leader called April (RIP) who would tell me when they all wanted to come in from the hill - she'd lead them to one of the hill gates, wait until she saw me on the road, either on the quad or on foot, and start all of them baaing until I looked up and saw them.

Probably a Shire horse or a Clydesdale if it was in the UK. The French and Belgians have some phenomenally chunky agricultural horses though,

Belgian Draught Horse
View attachment 2992710

Ardennes
View attachment 2992711

Comtois
View attachment 2992713

And my favourite, Percheron
View attachment 2992715
I have a fantasy of having a black Clydesdale and pootling about the countryside in a cart.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They have chonky donkeys in Europe as well. I've seen Poitou donkeys a couple of times and they're huge. Lovely shaggy coats as well.

• Heart
@ForgettyBetty

Social services in my experience take advantage of anyone who helps. Like that’s it, job done. There’s an issue coping the person is blamed and then the patient. It’s a horrible position. It won’t be easy setting boundaries and they will be pushed by services (been there) but it sounds like you might need to for your own well-being.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The Ardennes horse! 😳
Wow! He’s a big boy.

Falkor, I loved the description of all your sheep knowing their own gates. This is the type of stuff I’m here for.

• Heart
The Ardennes horse! 😳
Wow! He’s a big boy.

Falkor, I loved the description of all your sheep knowing their own gates. This is the type of stuff I’m here for.
All the insides of those horses must be big too. Like the aorta. It makes one want to go and give them a big fluffy cuddle and hear their strong heartbeat through their thick fluffy coat.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
All the insides of those horses must be big too. Like the aorta. It makes one want to go and give them a big fluffy cuddle and hear their strong heartbeat through their thick fluffy coat.
You’re having nicer thoughts than me. My mind went to how long it would take for me to die in pain if I got a kick from him! 😂

• Haha
I love the animal related posts here. The horse and sheep in particular always make me smile. I often wish I’d taken a different path and worked with animals instead of people!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I've also just opened a ticket to get a subscription refund, I'll report back either way, but I note it's quite difficult to get the help chatbot to give you a dialogue box where you can type things, rather than choosing from pre-existing options, none of which are "refund". I need to wait for the team to get back to me, apparently.
So the chatbot referred me to a person, who messaged me yesterday asking for account details. As I was barely online yesterday I missed it but I gave them the info this morning, been given a free month of subscription and full refund processed back to my card, should clear in 5-10 working days.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Having one of those days where I've transcended the "I am so stressed I am non functional" and moved into the "I really do not give a tit, if you want me to do stuff above my pay grade then pay me more, until that is reflected in my payslip duck off x" phase and it is quite liberating.

(Sorry not sorry to all the people who have been unreasonable and/or tried to project histrionics onto me and/or are fobbing their busy work onto me even though they've been told not to, and it's not even midday)

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I had those towards the end of my working life (I didn’t know that at the time, my health meant I was forced to leave).
It was indeed liberating. Especially as my salary was more than halved half way through to less than minimum wage (they were forced to make it minimum wage) as I was just ‘admin’ (my post required undergrad, postgrad and professional degrees as essentials) but the nhs didn’t recognise that for admin.

I left nearly 20 years ago.
My job has never been filled.

Can’t think why 🤔

• Sad
  • Wow
Having one of those days where I've transcended the "I am so stressed I am non functional" and moved into the "I really do not give a tit, if you want me to do stuff above my pay grade then pay me more, until that is reflected in my payslip duck off x" phase and it is quite liberating.

(Sorry not sorry to all the people who have been unreasonable and/or tried to project histrionics onto me and/or are fobbing their busy work onto me even though they've been told not to, and it's not even midday)
Liberating and healthy! Just before I retired my employer pivoted to being very interested in wellbeing and mindfulness and sent out lots of surveys about how best this could be promoted in the workplace and I really enjoyed responding with "pay me what I'm worth"

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.