Food and Drink #49

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another day. Will it get above 0? Who knows?

I was nodding along to all your TPT chat but thinking she was still alive and an absolute knob. Then I realised I was thinking of Lady Victoria Hervey, not TPT who is still alive and an absolute knob. Poor Tara.
I’ve never heard of LVH so I googled and came across this in the telegraph about her father 😲😲😲. I’ll link to the full article, which details the families mad history back to the whenever-00s, but have put the mentioned section behind a spoiler in case it’s paywalled (I think you get one free article?).

CW - the full article is about alleged domestic abuse experienced by her sister, and ends with some really eye-roll worthy quotes from LVH about PA which I’d avoid if you cba feeling angry about that on this very blue sky, but freezing, day!

There followed a period of relative calm until the 20th century, when the 6th Marquess of Bristol, Victor Hervey, Victoria and Isabella’s father, brought the family roaring back into the newspapers.

A playboy aristocrat who married three times and was nicknamed The Reptile, he did much to undo the work the Victorian Earls had done in making the Herveys respectable again.

Born in 1915, Victor went to Eton and Sandhurst, but was asked to leave the latter for bad behaviour. As a young man, he developed a penchant for theft, which led to his becoming the ringleader of a gang of jewellery robbers from well-to-do families who were known as the Mayfair Playboys.

This was the era of Raffles, the gentleman thief, but there was nothing civilised about some of their activities.

In December 1937, four of the gang were arrested for the violent robbery of a Cartier boss, whom they had lured to a hotel in Mayfair before coshing him and stealing £13,000 worth of diamond rings.

While Victor was not involved in that incident, and would complain people unfairly associated him with it, in 1939 he was sent to prison for three years for stealing more than £5,000 worth of jewellery, rings and fur from two properties in Park Lane and Mayfair.

The Recorder at the Old Bailey described him as the “mainspring of the conspiracy”, adding that “the way of the amateur criminal is hard, but the way of the professional is disastrous”. On hearing the verdict, his upstanding father, the diplomat and politician Herbert Hervey, wept in court.

Unlike some gentleman thieves, Victor needed the money. In 1937 he had declared bankruptcy, with debts of £123,000, more than £8 million in today’s money, having come unstuck trying to sell arms to both sides during the Spanish Civil War. Eventually his arms trading came good – he was one of Franco’s leading dealers – and he amassed a fortune estimated at £50 million

The eccentric stories continued. A couple arriving for a shooting weekend in Suffolk in the 1960s at Ickworth, the family seat, noticed Victor leaning from an upper window. As they drove nearer, he opened fire, forcing them to run for cover.

A family friend recalled passing the Bag O’Nails, a pub on Buckingham Palace Road, in London, where they were told Victor had “emptied a revolver into the ceiling”. He told a friend, Moira Lister, that he had shot two men in a mutiny whilst treasure-hunting on Cocos Island off the coast of Costa Rica.

A photo later surfaced of Victor, from the incident in Cocos Island, “standing with his foot on four dead bodies”. In 1979, six years before Victor died, he moved his family to Monte Carlo, vowing never to set foot in the UK again.

Sorrier tales were to come. Victor married three times and had six children: a son, John, by his first wife, Pauline; another son, Nicholas, and a stillborn daughter, Anne, by his second wife, Lady Juliet Wentworth-Fitzwilliam; and three, including Victoria and Isabella, by his third wife, Yvonne Marie Hervey. John, Victor’s heir, born in 1954, had an unhappy life from the start, despite his wealth and titles. Victor treated him cruelly.

Sorrier tales were to come. Victor married three times and had six children: a son, John, by his first wife, Pauline; another son, Nicholas, and a stillborn daughter, Anne, by his second wife, Lady Juliet Wentworth-Fitzwilliam; and three, including Victoria and Isabella, by his third wife, Yvonne Marie Hervey. John, Victor’s heir, born in 1954, had an unhappy life from the start, despite his wealth and titles. Victor treated him cruelly.

A school friend of John’s at Harrow, Jamie Spencer-Churchill, said that Victor “created the monster that John became”. Openly gay and hedonistic, John was a fixture of the British tabloids in the 1970s and 1980s thanks to a stream of reported incidents: opening a champagne fridge by firing a shotgun at it; dodging a traffic jam on the M11 by driving at 140mph on the hard shoulder; constant cocaine and heroin use.

A friend remembered a party of John’s in a private suite at Claridge’s. “All the cocaine was on the left-hand side of the mantelpiece, and all the heroin was on the right. In lines,” he said. “You took whichever one you liked.” He was jailed twice on drugs charges and died in 1999, having lost Ickworth as well as the rest of his fortune. His half-brother Nicholas had died by suicide the year before.

Victoria became famous in the 1990s, the heiress-apparent to Tamara Beckwith and Tara Palmer-Tomkinson in the pantheon of witty aristocratic blonde party girls. Speaking about John in a Guardian interview in 2001, Lady Victoria Hervey described him as “evil”.

“What happened to him was just awful,” she added. “When you see someone lose everything, it puts you off. I mean he blew everything.”

In recent years she has not shied from controversy. A sometime girlfriend of Prince Andrew’s, she backed Ghislaine Maxwell’s remarks that the notorious photo of him with his arm around then 17-year-old Virginia Giuffre was “fake”.

“At the end of the day he says he’s never met her and he’s always stood by that,” she said. “If you look at everything, even when they did settle [out of court]... he didn’t apologise because why would he apologise?”

More recently she has embraced conspiracy theories, saying in 2021 that the Covid vaccine was part of a play by Bill Gates “to depopulate the world”.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
i'm working in the office today. it's normally quiet, but today there's a few colleagues milling about who i see fairly regularly, though we don't work in the same business area.

they asked me if i wanted to go for a lunchtime walk with them at 1pm and being the social butterfly that i am, i said i had a 1pm meeting (i don't), i have now put my headset on and am talking to myself because they haven't left yet. i'm cringing my own socks off.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Me today.
screen-shot-2020-01-06-at-5-27-15-pm_orig.png

I timed it badly and got caught in a blizzard - this was heading back home.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Is it not Thursday?

This weather, month, everything is interminable. Bring on May.
---
I’ve tried to make a stew. It doesn’t smell nice. We have mash. Thinking of resorting to beans and mash and cheese. All the food groups right there.
You are, of course, correct dear Zetta B. There's a chaos in my own brain and I do not know whether I'm up or down.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Is it not Thursday?

This weather, month, everything is interminable. Bring on May.
---
I’ve tried to make a stew. It doesn’t smell nice. We have mash. Thinking of resorting to beans and mash and cheese. All the food groups right there.
omggggg beans mixed with mash is such a nostalgia hit; I remember eating it when I had a bunch of teeth taking out when I was a kid. Big fan of the addition of chiz 🧀

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Have you ever had a bacon sandwich with toasted bread (on both sides) and beans in it? It is a very good thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
In case anyone was wondering if my fortunes have changed in 2024, WoohCat1 has been to the vet as she is unspecifiedly unwell, so no change to my fortunes.

Was really pleased that I did not ask the young woman who called me into the consultation room when the vet would come, because I felt that she would say if she wasn't the vet. She was the vet of course. Young enough to be my daughter. A mild strike for feminism and supporting youth. I'm annoyed l, though, that no one clapped!

I'm sure we've all had our moments of "actually I am the [insert professional status], you meanie", and I have long had a policy of assuming profession-up. Clapping, please.

PS when we sat in the waiting room waiting for blood test results, I selected a Bluey episode and placed my phone in WoohCat1's basket for her to relax. Heh.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It gets worse: it's actually Friday
You are right dearheart. Yet it’s still January.

Dog can’t sleep either. I wonder what’s keeping her up? Anxiety about favouring Mrs Tunnel? Impending doom about the inevitable paw clip? WFK.

Coffee.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Maybe a new lowlight set is in order. To go with a messy bun. She looks fab in a messy bun.

She now thinks it’s banana time because I’ve got up to make coffee. 😐

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I can't get over that blizzard footage. Insane.
There's a named cyclone near Queensland at the moment, those poor people have been copping the worst weather.,
I was going to say it's cold and rainy here but I guess I don't really know what cold and rainy really is.

• Sad
  • Wow
Not laughing at you, MCM, but with you re different measures of cold and rainy!

Stay safe in the blizzard areas of the UK. Love to your horses and sheep, Falkor

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I can't get over that blizzard footage. Insane.
There's a named cyclone near Queensland at the moment, those poor people have been copping the worst weather.,
I was going to say it's cold and rainy here but I guess I don't really know what cold and rainy really is.
We don’t know what hot is though. I’m hot at 21.3 degrees. 18.7 if tunnel dog is lying on me 🥵.

• Haha
Me today.
View attachment 2698298
I timed it badly and got caught in a blizzard - this was heading back home.

Falkor are you holding out on us???

Your blizzard Vimeo led directly to the vid of your big horse scratching his sheath/penis with the perfect stick and I have nothing but admiration for him!

My first little rescue pony did similar on my new hedge. Hello height difference: new hedge, perfect for small small pony.

I recognised the same bliss.

Please post for everyone 🙏

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I struggle in the low 20s, it's too hot for my Canadian-born blood. Having said that I'd probably cry if I felt proper cold. 😂
Ah, come on! Your health isn't great (serious note) but you live in Victoria, the weakest state of drama (should be on your rego plates, instead of garden state!) (joking note)

I moved to Brisbane in Jan 2010. I cried from the humidity and was glad I had no friends there as I couldn't go out as I sweated so much. Yes, I am drama.

One year later I didn't even need aircon on during Summer.

In 2015 I returned to Sydney. By mid April I was kitted out in wool skirts, tights and a scarf and I said to the Aldi check out guy, "wooh, it's so cold", and he said, "mate, I'm still water skiing, it's fine."

One year later I didn't even need aircon/heating until July.

I'm literally a social science project.
---
Selkirk Rex.
I'm not fully convinced of their sheepiness.
View attachment 2694965
My WoohCat1 is Selkirk Rex. She has the straight hair gene;

But! The same breeder gave me Georgie, WC1's first cousin: a curly haired Selkirk Rex who had her three litters and needed a rehome.

Georgie was a LAMB Cat Dog. I wish she was still alive; I adored her. A curly lamb cat. A dote. Absolutely beautiful. Selkirk Rex is the best breed. Back to rescue cats now, but am an advocate for that breed. Omg

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.