Food and Drink #36

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I definitely would. There are so many reasons for people not to drink, it’s really short sighted. Religion/beliefs, pregnancy, medical reasons (including ex-alcoholic here), designated drivers, caring responsibilities when someone gets home - it’s a big issue for inclusion.
especially nowadays when people are (generally speaking) more sensitive to other religions, but also there are so many people who (regardless of religious beliefs/problems with substances) just don't drink alcohol, it is very strange to not offer alternatives. That said, I did once work for a company with this attitude - spoiler they were not a great company to work for in terms of treatment of staff

• Heart
Reactions: 20
ninnies, can I ask your advice?

We had our work Christmas party during the week. We spent a lot of money per head, including the "enhanced drinks package". As we walked in we were greeted with servers with glasses of prosecco, when I said I didn't drink and asked for an alcohol-free drink they stared at me like I'd asked them to conjugate Latin verbs. One of them eventually disappeared and came back with a plastic glass of sparkling water.

I know how hard it is to organise these things, people always find something to grumble at, but should I say something to the organiser? There's so many nice and interesting alcohol-free drinks these days that for the only alcohol-free options to be coke, lemonade, tonic water and water is just really poor and completely unwelcoming for people who don't drink for whatever reason.
I would definitely expect at least some j20s, appletise, mocktails etc not cheap pop, especially as you were paying top whack. I would absolutely send feedback, maybe in future they could take a tally of those who won't want alcohol in the sameq way (as you would for veggie etc meal options) and provide a decent selection.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
ninnies, can I ask your advice?

We had our work Christmas party during the week. We spent a lot of money per head, including the "enhanced drinks package". As we walked in we were greeted with servers with glasses of prosecco, when I said I didn't drink and asked for an alcohol-free drink they stared at me like I'd asked them to conjugate Latin verbs. One of them eventually disappeared and came back with a plastic glass of sparkling water.

I know how hard it is to organise these things, people always find something to grumble at, but should I say something to the organiser? There's so many nice and interesting alcohol-free drinks these days that for the only alcohol-free options to be coke, lemonade, tonic water and water is just really poor and completely unwelcoming for people who don't drink for whatever reason.
If you don’t raise it, they won’t change it

• Heart
Reactions: 22
It's not a very interesting fact but I did make THAT MAN's brownies today although I halved the amount of pecans which is why they look different to his. That and the fluorescent strip lighting in my kitchen that makes everything look horrid.

brownies.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
Traumy has brownies, Katch has gas, I have inexplicable beer fear. I dreamed I drank a bottle of wine, was shitfaced and fell asleep with my front door open. The neighbours knocked and I got up trying to pretend I wasn’t still drunk. I’ve been having shame attacks all day.

• Heart
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
What do you think this means?
oh man, ive had martin's jingle stuck in my head all week and this has cemented it! 😭

🎶What's new?
I'm listening
Feeling blue?
I'm listening
Feeling mad, feeling sad, feeling bad, feeling glad?
I'm listening🎶

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
If you don’t raise it, they won’t change it
Me too. I also think that you shouldn’t have to provide an explanation for not drinking. That exacerbates the issue. We shouldn’t have to explain ourselves or provide an excuse for why we aren’t partaking in the behaviour (medical, MH, physical health, addiction, driving, caring, choice, whatever, who cares?).

In my opinion (and I fully expect people to disagree with me here, but I haven’t drunk for 13 years and don’t say why), providing an explanation makes us look as though we are almost apologising for not drinking. We/you should be accommodated for not drinking, regardless of why you are not drinking.

Companies should just expect a certain % of their employees not to drink (because it is just as normal not to drink as it is to drink) and therefore they should provide a variety of tasty AF options.

(I’m not sure I’ve explained myself well.)

Over the moon for you Kach. ❤ Let that gas flow 🔥.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I am currently having a weekend away to meet up with family 🔺️ on the south coast of England and I watched several people swimming in the sea this morning from 8 am onwards! I am shooketh.
ETA - in swim wear not wetsuits! 😯

• Wow
best thing I've ever seen lads:m

yes, we are treating ourselves to all of the heating tonight! just had the best shower of my life!

20221210_183922.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
for contrast, this is what it's doing outside and pretty much how it's been all week 🙃

Screenshot_20221210-185100_Google.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
best thing I've ever seen lads:m

yes, we are treating ourselves to all of the heating tonight! just had the best shower of my life!

View attachment 1797321
I think I would melt if it was 26 in here 🥵. Reminds me of that heatwave from hell!!! A nice 16 suits me inside and out. It isn’t 16 in here btw 🥶.

Enjoy your heat and your showers … you definitely deserve it after your week. No more boiled water baths for kach 😳.

• Heart
View attachment 1796628
It’s my favourite sign in the whole world, partly because when I see it it means we are only a few miles away from my cousins ( who makes the best cheese and marmite sandwiches known to humankind ) house but also because it makes me laugh everytime 😂
My lovely dad did a detour one day to show me this sign as it tickled him so much. I always think of it when Sandwich is mentioned too!

• Heart
I think I would melt if it was 26 in here 🥵. Reminds me of that heatwave from hell!!! A nice 16 suits me inside and out. It isn’t 16 in here btw 🥶.

Enjoy your heat and your showers … you definitely deserve it after your week. No more boiled water baths for kach 😳.

16? 😳 no baby no, that's cold indoors to me now

i have become what these yorkshire ppl call "nesh" these days. how i ever did nights out in tynemouth in january with no coat is beyond me!

my feet are actually warm now! my coconut oil is malleable once more! this is the best day ever!

(sorry, ill shut up now 😅)

• Heart
Reactions: 28
16? 😳 no baby no, that's cold indoors to me now

i have become what these yorkshire ppl call "nesh" these days. how i ever did nights out in tynemouth in january with no coat is beyond me!

my feet are actually warm now! my coconut oil is malleable once more! this is the best day ever!

(sorry, ill shut up now 😅)
It's like coming out the other end of a black tunnel when you've been going without something like gas or electric. especially when it's so cold.

• Heart
It's like coming out the other end of a black tunnel when you've been going without something like gas or electric. especially when it's so cold.

i was just saying something along those lines! it's just such a relief when you come out the other side of a bad experience. coming out of a tunnel is exactly right ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
20% off bath and body

and this is where I learn that there's such a thing as percy pig bubble bath 🥴

his evil empire has gone too far, i fear
Don’t worry, someone has put Percy in his place and shoved a Christmas Tree up his arse! 😂

07A77C1E-72BE-4C7E-9C6A-61C140204D42.jpeg
4E910C92-66C7-4D4A-B187-757782EA551C.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.