Food and Drink #32

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi ninnies - jumping into this thread because I think you’re all so smashing and kind and I am seeking ✨advice✨.
Basically I drink too much but can’t admit to myself I’m an alcoholic, but while pissed the other night I got it into my head I’d do a dry October. I did this back in 2018 for Dry January and enjoyed it so much I lasted over three months without a drink (maybe that shows I’m not an alcoholic?!).
My motivation this time round is to lose a little weight, sleep better, and feel better too - I’m sick of waking up feeling like tit and doing the bare minimum at work all day.
Anyway the advice I’m asking from Frauen is because I know I have good intentions but inevitably I’ll be tempted to get trashed and I wonder if any of you have methods of stamping down on that or convincing yourself you mustn’t drink. I can’t chuck out all the drink in my house because I live in a dry country so the booze we have is precious and needed for parties! Sorry this is probably a rambly post and yes I am hungover but I really want to do at least 31 days without a drink and you’re all so fab about this in the JM threads. Kisses 😘
My only suggestion is contact AA . Denial of the truth was about being an alcoholic was what I did as well. People can stop drinking, but staying stopped is different. Not drinking for a certain period (using will power), does not mean you are not an alcoholic.
Good luck.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I know we're a thread of cat lovers, but can I show you how delighted Senior Dog is with her jumper? It's a tiny bit snug, but for warming her up for 10 minutes after a wet walk it does the job beautifully and I hope will stretch over a couple of wears. Will try the next size up for the next one, but that's probably going to be huge on her!

View attachment 1618683
First post here to say Falkor, our Senior Dog is the male spit of your gorgeous creature and I’m off to find one of those coats, because the change in seasons is playing havoc with his joints. Genius idea, thank[space]you. (Also have senior cats: one currently on lap, the other being an arse. This is standard.)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
First post here to say Falkor, our Senior Dog is the male spit of your gorgeous creature and I’m off to find one of those coats, because the change in seasons is playing havoc with his joints. Genius idea, thank[space]you. (Also have senior cats: one currently on lap, the other being an arse. This is standard.)
It's a medium sized Yapham in forest green from here: https://www.rydale.com/collections/dog-coats-jackets - it has a very handy zip up the back which makes it much easier to wrangle elderly hounds into! I hope your Senior Dog likes it as much as she does :)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
As an aside to MT, if we don’t brush Maisie regular she gets knotty in the armpits, behind the ears and in her little Willy area. She’s a poodle cross. Jack lies.

• Heart
just popping in to say that there's a bit of weirdness on twitter, but I am not in that conversation and I have reported a certain person's tweets where they've posted my pictures from here. idgaf if that makes me a hypocrite. If you don't know what I'm talking about, please ignore me ✌
That account is super bleeping weird, sorry they've done this to you ❤
Apparently they've been banned since before I even started lurking and they're still mad?? Get a life omg

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Guys, my step dad has had another stroke. It's nowhere near as serious as the one he had last year but he's 80 now and becoming a bit frail. He was at his weekly spinning/weaving group when it happened so he was able to get help quickly. He wants me to visit and hang out with him but the train and bus ride there is brutal for me, I hope I can get down there. (It's about 6 hours away.)
I spoke to him today and he was in good spirits- telling his awful jokes and laughing but he also said he feels like he's permanently drunk and there's someone else in his head.
Send thoughts and cattos to the small town with the blue lake in Oz. 🙏
Oh no love to you & your step dad MCM hope he’s feeling better soon ❤.

Sorry for not doing a separate thread for this but wondered if I can get some advice from you bunch of ninnies?

for a very long time, at least 10 years, I have felt ‘low’ like I’m just never really happy or free from an internal burden of negative thoughts. I am constantly in a low level of anxiety and frequently have suicidal thoughts (no plans, just a feeling of I’d rather be dead than alive if that makes sense.) I’ve had ‘proper’ diagnosed mental health problems previously when I was younger and have had a tonne of therapy which has been helpful to a degree but I just feel kinda stuck now. Like my life isn’t impacted by the way I feel in the sense that I am very physically active, I have a decent diet, I sleep well, have hobbies, can work, see friends etc etc but I just have this constant weight over me all the time. So I feel like I don’t have depression or anxiety because it’s not about anything specific and I have spoken to the GP and they just prescribe me medication without any hesitation but I don’t like the idea if medication because if I feel like this all the time then am I going to have to be medicated for the rest of my life?! The main impact this whole thing has on me is that I can be quite grumpy and overwhelmed because I’m so in my head all the time and to be in my head but also try and be present is absolutely exhausting sometimes.
Sorry that’s so long, I was just wondering if any enlightened fraus might have an idea of what the heck is wrong with me and what I can do about it?!
Sorry I can’t offer any advice but I’d like to send you a hug if that’s okay? Apologies if you’re not a hugger
❤

• Heart
My brother is working away atm, last night he promised to send a photo of all the kangaroos in the paddock next to him. Very helpful, thanks a million big bruv.
PS I don't blame him for not wanting to get too close but he's still a smart arse.
616F73E3-6AC3-4334-B812-4EFBEACA5854.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
@MaineCoonMama @KebabGirl @HotesTilaire @LennyBriscoe @ForgettyBetty

thanks for your replies and for making me feel not alone to be feeling this way
Its made me think that perhaps I ought to give long term meds a go. Not what I wanted really but worth it if I can feel better.
I can’t take SSRI’s cos I get something called Seratonin Syndrome which is horrible but I was prescribed mirtazapine in May and only took it for two days as it made me so sleepy. I’m thinking I should persevere!

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Its made me think that perhaps I ought to give long term meds a go. Not what I wanted really but worth it if I can feel better.
I can’t take SSRI’s cos I get something called Seratonin Syndrome which is horrible but I was prescribed mirtazapine in May and only took it for two days as it made me so sleepy. I’m thinking I should persevere!
It takes around two weeks (I think) for meds to start working properly. I was put on SSRIs years ago and I remember feeling spaced out at work and a little bit nauseous but that passed after a week or so. Please let us know how you go, it's not unusual to have to change medications more than once. ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 16

I had a lot of drowsiness with mirtazipine - not able to wake up. I randomly saw a different GP who gave me 2 suggestions, and a combo works. First, take the tablet earlier in the evening instead of when you get into bed. So I try and take about 8pm instead of 10pm and get less fog in the morning. Second was to increase the dose. The drowsiness doesn't increase with a higher dose, and I have found it manageable. I sleep more deeply but am more refreshed in the morning. The downside to that is not much wakes me for a few hours, and if I am woken I struggle to get back to sleep. As I do some on call work, I can't stay on the high dose all the time - I tend to have spells of a few weeks of it almost like a reset. Thankfully this GP is understanding of life / practicalities unlike some.

Also, don't feel alone - just put a message on here if it helps. I've taken a lot from things people have said (most of it not even directed at me) and found a comfort I didn't possible. Sometimes typing it out so I have to collect my thoughts helps.

Time to get suited and booted - well, back into the Lycra for my own version of therapy: 2 hours cycling at a steady pace with a chum I've known 20+ years. Routine, chat, gossip all make a difference for me and help me keep going.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm crying, that is amazing. I have a thing for funny racehorse names, there was one here in the 90s called Waikikamucow. Why kick a moo cow, so silly.
I’m trying to learn some Italian and the word for cow is mucche and sounds a bit like moo-cow and makes me giggle every time.

• Haha

It's useful to remember that finding the right psych meds can take time.
At its best it should be a collaborative process between you and your GP. Talk to him/her/they about what you want from your meds, what side effects are less tolerable for you etc. Some antidepressants have psychomotor arousal as a side effect which can be helpful if your depression presents as apathy, sleepiness, lack of volition, or slowed-up cognition. But if you are anxious, and a 'can't sit still' depressed person, then you will need a drug that doesn't exacerbate those things. Make sure your Vit D levels are good too. A low level causes lowered mood.
Mirtazapine does cause drowsiness and for that reason, it might be better to take it at night.
No shame in needing meds. I will be on Prozac for the rest of my life, most likely. It works for me.

• Heart
I will never cease to be in awe of what a fantastic, non judgemental, kind community this is. To all fraus struggling at the moment I send love-os and hug-os.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
All great advice, and it seems people care a lot less about what others do or do not drink these days than early in the 00s. Good luck, am doing my own Stoptober too albeit not for booze. And it starts tomorrow because I didn't realise today was the first. So err...

Finding it hard to catch up due to doing a massive phone chaos and ending up with a Windows phone for which support ended in 2019 so all I can do is look around online, phone and text people. It routinely throws a shitfit and crashes Tattle so I just wanted to thank whichever Frau it was who recommended the Lidl canned vegetarian chilli a thread or so ago! Had a can the other night and it was lovely, wouldn't even have crossed my mind as summat to look for if you hadn't mentioned it so once again, thank you wise mystery Frau
I bought a tin of the vegetarian chilli based on the recommendation, but I haven’t eaten it yet. Glad to hear it’s good.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Tooting me own horn to say you're welcome @bowiethesdmn & @Readingismyhobby . That veggie chilli is so tasty! (Life pro tip- half a can on oven chips makes delicious dirty fries. Mmmmmm.)

(Can I stay as 'wise, mystery frau', though, I like that, makes me sound both wise and mysterious :ROFLMAO: )

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Dropping in to share a couple snaps of a cat belonging to an F1 driver, I'd not looked at his pets account before and this fluff ball proper made me laugh!
Screenshot_20221001-163600_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-163736_Instagram.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
It’s on my list for my next Lidl trip in late Oct!
I'd recommend their app too. Every Thursday you get new weekly coupons, good offers too. And other little bits and bobs to help save the pennies. I 'earned' a digital scratch card from them once and won £10. Nice.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.